Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

All work is normal on the regular days. It's only the bank holiday days, that no engineers are available. So yes, plenty of installations booked for the likes of the 27th and onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

All work is normal on the regular days. It's only the bank holiday days, that no engineers are available. So yes, plenty of installations booked for the likes of the 27th and onwards.

Well blimey the engineers really do get the short straws then. Normal days or not normal days , even if that was me and I was told that no ftth installs will happen over Christmas period I would wholly understand and have no bugbear if I had to be told that ftth would start commencing in January when the Christmas period is over. You expect disruption (or should expect) at this time of year and even though they may not be bank holidays its still holiday season .

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Lads, is there a number for open eir or KN to find out if/when they will be doing the work. I checked the open eir website and all I can see is an email address.

I stopped a local open eir guy just outside my house and he told me he didn't think the fibre was going up my road, but on the map I'm on the blue line, and if I enter my details it say's I'm down for the second half of 2018. What does concern me is the local crews that was working in the area for about 3 weeks are just gone.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Lads, is there a number for open eir or KN to find out if/when they will be doing the work. I checked the open eir website and all I can see is an email address.

I stopped a local open eir guy just outside my house and he told me he didn't think the fibre was going up my road, but on the map I'm on the blue line, and if I enter my details it say's I'm down for the second half of 2018. What does concern me is the local crews that was working in the area for about 3 weeks are just gone.

Thanks

You're not going to get that level of detail out of them I'm afraid. Everything points to you being covered. What stage is the build at? Is there fibre cable on the poles passing your home? Are there distribution points fitted to the poles?

You're not going to get that level of detail out of them I'm afraid. Everything points to you being covered. What stage is the build at? Is there fibre cable on the poles passing your home? Are there distribution points fitted to the poles?

I got happy because about 4 weeks ago, there was lots of teams of KN guys around the locality, in about a 7 mile radius. They were putting up new poles and and running the cables along them. I even saw the guy at the end of my road and he asked me who owned the field that they would need access to it, I told him the farmer and where he lived. Over the next week I saw them at that pole again, but they didn't put any cables on it or for that matter I never saw them on my road again, but they were like flies around the area, there was lots and lots of KN vans and guys putting up poles and cables, and then one day they were all gone, just disappeared. They seemed to be everywhere bar my road. It's like they moved on to the next area or just finished up.

• Advertisement

I got happy because about 4 weeks ago, there was lots of teams of KN guys around the locality, in about a 7 mile radius. They were putting up new poles and and running the cables along them. I even saw the guy at the end of my road and he asked me who owned the field that they would need access to it, I told him the farmer and where he lived. Over the next week I saw them at that pole again, but they didn't put any cables on it or for that matter I never saw them on my road again, but they were like flies around the area, there was lots and lots of KN vans and guys putting up poles and cables, and then one day they were all gone, just disappeared. They seemed to be everywhere bar my road. It's like they moved on to the next area or just finished up.

Would this pole in the farmers field be part of the route the cable would take to get to your home?

I've got used to that for the last 6 months or so in our area. Swarming with open eir and diffusion utility vans then all go off and don't see anything happen for months again. It must logically work doing this is dribs and drabs and then decking off to another area ( I don't know how, but no doubt that must work for them like that)

but personally I just wish they would have concentrated on one area and if there were near to completion with all fibre on the poles and the dp's there in place that they just carried on until it was finished and up and running and then move onto another area.

Would this pole in the farmers field be part of the route the cable would take to get to your home?

Definitely, it looks like it would start there and run up the road for about 3 kilometres. According to the map, the blue line stops about .5 to 1km after my house so I felt blessed to be on the blue line.

Definitely, it looks like it would start there and run up the road for about 3 kilometres. According to the map, the blue line stops about .5 to 1km after my house so I felt blessed to be on the blue line.

Are there boxes such as these on some of the poles that you saw KN workers at?

453515.jpg

If not the build is likely not complete in your area.

Are there boxes such as these on some of the poles that you saw KN workers at?

[img][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=453515&d=1529172905

If not the build is likely not complete in your area.

Say in the 7 mile radius, yes I have seen some of those boxes on poles. The local guy today told me it had gone live in Gort/Galway in the last couple of weeks. Thats about 5 miles from me. When I'm out today, I'll have another look just up the road from me to see if those boxes are up. What I definitely see is like 'spools' of cable hanging from poles, this is the case on a good few poles. Its likes spools of black cable just tied to poles. These poles with the 'spools' of cable are about 1km from me at the most or ever closer to me.

• Advertisement

Say in the 7 mile radius, yes I have seen some of those boxes on poles. The local guy today told me it had gone live in Gort/Galway in the last couple of weeks. Thats about 5 miles from me. When I'm out today, I'll have another look just up the road from me to see if those boxes are up. What I definitely see is like 'spools' of cable hanging from poles, this is the case on a good few poles. Its likes spools of black cable just tied to poles.

The spools of cable are a sure sign that they are not finished. Every pole where you see a spool of cable will get one of those boxes (distribution point or DP).

The spools of cable are a sure sign that they are not finished. Every pole where you see a spool of cable will get one of those boxes (distribution point or DP).

That's great news!

I'm on one of those rural 1 lane roads, it would be impossible for them to put their temp traffic lights on my road so I'm assuming that's why they need access to some fields, so I was hoping that wouldn't cause delays but it probably has.

But yes, just up the road there is a cross roads, and they put up a new pole or 2, and I can see those spools just hanging there. I was thinking, they were finished and those spools would be only used if people signed up to the service. But it's great to know they are not finished in the area totally.

Thanks for the info Navi

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

I know it probably varies, but does anyone know roughly, from when there's the initial work & those spools are left hanging on poles to when there actually might be FTTH? Was supposed to be winter '18 but OpenEir on Twitter have said first quarter of '19. At least some work has started! (The engineer I asked putting up the spools said it was subducting & someone else comes through after to work, KN presumably as he definitely wasn't KN).

myate wrote: »
    I know it probably varies, but does anyone know roughly, from when there's the initial work & those spools are left hanging on poles to when there actually might be FTTH? Was supposed to be winter '18 but OpenEir on Twitter have said first quarter of '19. At least some work has started! (The engineer I asked putting up the spools said it was subducting & someone else comes through after to work, KN presumably as he definitely wasn't KN).

First quarter sounds about right as I would have said 2 to 3 months. If it is subduct that means fibre cable has yet to be run then distribution points will be fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Wonder what’s happening in Nenagh along the R498. No DP’ attached to the poles. Fibre was rolled out at the same time as my area Q1 2018 (Borrisoleigh) and we went live in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Wonder what’s happening in Nenagh along the R498. No DP’ attached to the poles. Fibre was rolled out at the same time as my area Q1 2018 (Borrisoleigh) and we went live in July.

I've seen a few areas, where they forgot to fit the DPs entirely. Area went live and then they realised their problem :p Charleville for example.

Then again, in Offaly they stuck the DPs up and forgot the fibre.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

_sheep wrote: »
    So today 7/11/18 ordering is live for me and my mate who are in houses side by side. He went with eir and me with airwire. He got his appointment this morning from Eir that his install will be Monday AM 12/11/18 and I'm still waiting for notification.

Eir finally fixed my mates broadband just in time for Christmas - I've been live since like the 13th of November. Same stretch of cable, same area, same install type. No idea on the technicalities of the issues but airwire delayed my install by one day... eir delayed his by a month and a half!

Wireless isnt bad on their Fritzbox either from 2 rooms away (timber-frame house, pic attached)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

_sheep wrote: »
    Eir finally fixed my mates broadband just in time for Christmas - I've been live since like the 13th of November. Same stretch of cable, same area, same install type. No idea on the technicalities of the issues but airwire delayed my install by one day... eir delayed his by a month and a half!

Wireless isnt bad on their Fritzbox either from 2 rooms away (timber-frame house, pic attached)

910Mbps wireless really?

any lists released today no ? ;)

Merry Christmas :)

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

The lists from OpenEIR are pretty much generated automatically every week, but our import takes a good bit of manual work.

Hardly something you would want to task somebody on Christmas eve or Christmas day with.

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Merry Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Is there a limit to how far (metres) /how many poles they will go past the DP?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

daraghwal wrote: »
    Is there a limit to how far (metres) /how many poles they will go past the DP?

I think it's more a case of whether your house is marked on the distribution map as being eligible for fibre, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Is there any way to add new builds to list
    At all

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think it's more a case of whether your house is marked on the distribution map as being eligible for fibre, or not.

I realise that but there are people being added to it as they go along. Over 1,500 in Wexford alone.

daraghwal wrote: »
    I realise that but there are people being added to it as they go along. Over 1,500 in Wexford alone.

Yes, but they will have planned for these additions in the design stage and sufficient DPs will be installed to serve these extra premises. It's not like they are adding premises willy-nilly.

naughto wrote: »
    Is there any way to add new builds to list
    At all

If you've an Eircode and are within a covered area try emailing fibrepower@openeir.ie explaining your situation. If that doesn't work or you're being strung along contact the DCCAE at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie

There is a clause in the contract that eir signed that stipulates that new build premises in covered areas are added in a timely fashion.

If you've an Eircode and are within a covered area try emailing fibrepower@openeir.ie explaining your situation. If that doesn't work or you're being strung along contact the DCCAE at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie

There is a clause in the contract that eir signed that stipulates that new build premises in covered areas are added in a timely fashion.

that's an interesting one - I wonder if I am a premises in covered area in a timely fashion too?

that's an interesting one - I wonder if I am a premises in covered area in a timely fashion too?

I doubt it. None of your exchange area is live AFAIK so obviously something has gone wrong with the build. The clause relates more to a new build premises in an already live area.

I doubt it. None of your exchange area is live AFAIK so obviously something has gone wrong with the build. The clause relates more to a new build premises in an already live area.

ah right thanks, thats a shame. - so seeing as the FTTC is live in our area , that has no bearing whatsoever on things? - I suspect then maybe we get our FTTH from an exchange in Collooney and the FTTC is in Coolaney - would i be right in saying that?

• Advertisement

ah right thanks, thats a shame. - so seeing as the FTTC is live in our area , that has no bearing whatsoever on things? - I suspect then maybe we get our FTTH from an exchange in Collooney and the FTTC is in Coolaney - would i be right in saying that?

I'm not sure to be honest. I haven't seen an up to date plan document for a few months so I can't say where the OLT that would be serving you is located. Something has gone wrong though to have DPs installed for such a long time without going live.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement