Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I'm not sure to be honest. I haven't seen an up to date plan document for a few months so I can't say where the OLT that would be serving you is located. Something has gone wrong though to have DPs installed for such a long time without going live.

yes that's my thinking too - it must be a big problem why it isn't finished yet and up and running - cant be much further off surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

yes that's my thinking too - it must be a big problem why it isn't finished yet and up and running - cant be much further off surely?

For your sake hopefully not but without knowing what the actual issue is it is hard to be definitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

For your sake hopefully not but without knowing what the actual issue is it is hard to be definitive.

aye - and I suppose normal joe public will never get to find out really what the hold up is or how long it will take to resolve. I know I have given up now and just keep checking the availability checker reguarly .. that's all I can do it seems. - trying to get any kind of information out of the people would know is near on impossible ... they are like the Mason's of the communications world!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Install happened on Thursday morning and things have been going fine. Has been an amazing switch to being able to get used to not worrying about just loading a webpage interfering with gaming or streaming, a whole new world of opportunities for my own interests has been opened up with multitasking a few internet intensive things. Still seems surreal compared to the beginning of the week.

Many thanks to Airwire for keeping me up to date for the past month with all the goings-on in getting it sorted, and Net1 seem to have done a similar job for my neighbours. World of difference from everything experienced with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Eir really are incompetent - assuming of course it's not actually deliberate malice on their part.

I logged into My Eir to check my usage. There's a big purple banner saying 'Your Usage This Period' and under that it says 354 GB / Unlimited. Cool, no sweat, I was just worrying about nothing.

Clicked on the View Historical Usage button and ... 863 GB combined this month.

If they ever try it on with charges for going over the fair usage limit I'll have them in the small claims court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you've an Eircode and are within a covered area try emailing fibrepower@openeir.ie explaining your situation. If that doesn't work or you're being strung along contact the DCCAE at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie

There is a clause in the contract that eir signed that stipulates that new build premises in covered areas are added in a timely fashion.

New builds or new estates - if a singular building your chances are nearing zero

As for timely fashion for new estates you will be waiting well over a year. They may have planned for it but they certainly haven't laid the infrastructure for it in advance.

As for those asking about how far you can be before getting added - 50m max and even then there is not much chance of getting added at this point.
    All the DP ports were preassigned and DP's installed accordingly so in those cases you are living on a wing and prayer that there is a free port to start with

cnocbui wrote: »
    Eir really are incompetent - assuming of course it's not actually deliberate malice on their part.

I logged into My Eir to check my usage. There's a big purple banner saying 'Your Usage This Period' and under that it says 354 GB / Unlimited. Cool, no sweat, I was just worrying about nothing.

Clicked on the View Historical Usage button and ... 863 GB combined this month.

If they ever try it on with charges for going over the fair usage limit I'll have them in the small claims court.

If you signed up in the past several months then you do have unlimited usage.
    Not sure how myeir works, I assume it works on "period" is billing period and month is just that - the actual months usage. Most billing periods are not the first to the last day of the month

fritzelly wrote: »
    New builds or new estates - if a singular building your chances are nearing zero

As for timely fashion for new estates you will be waiting well over a year. They may have planned for it but they certainly haven't laid the infrastructure for it in advance.

As for those asking about how far you can be before getting added - 50m max and even then there is not much chance of getting added at this point.
    All the DP ports were preassigned and DP's installed accordingly so in those cases you are living on a wing and prayer that there is a free port to start with

Well then they are in contravention of this
    it shall Pass all New Build Premises in the eir Deployment Area within a commercially reasonable time of the date the New Build Premises is added to the GeoDirectory database;

I guess it is up to each premises owner how much fuss they want to kick up in order to get passed.

Define commercially reasonable time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not sure how myeir works, I assume it works on "period" is billing period and month is just that - the actual months usage. Most billing periods are not the first to the last day of the month

For people on still a FUP like I am the usage is counted as total at the end of the month it does not matter when your billing period is. If you go over at the end of a month they add the cost to the next bill.

On the main page of my eir it shows usages that is only updated 2 or 3 times a month. The in historical usage it shows your actual usage and that's updated every 24 - 48 hours.

I don't know if eir are under any obligation to give you an accurate reading before the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Well then they are in contravention of this

I guess it is up to each premises owner how much fuss they want to kick up in order to get passed.

Does that just mean they need to be added to the database or they will be connected though.

I'm wondering as I have Someone just moving into a new building beside me and were in a blue area but I'm being told I can't get fibre (of any type)
    If they can get fibre (in a commercial acceptable time) I might just ask if I can push it to get the lines upgraded for me too.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

New builds in rural areas: as long as you are within and not past the planned rollout, it is no problem to get the house added. It has to be an active / completed build though.

New builds in new estates: this is currently a lengthy process.

Premises past the current rollout: OpenEIR are not connecting any houses past the current planned rollout at the moment. Not even if they're one pole away. If extra premises get connected, then it's because they changed their planning for an entire area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Triangle wrote: »
    Does that just mean they need to be added to the database or they will be connected though.

I'm wondering as I have Someone just moving into a new building beside me and were in a blue area but I'm being told I can't get fibre (of any type)
    If they can get fibre (in a commercial acceptable time) I might just ask if I can push it to get the lines upgraded for me too.

Too many unknown factors.

Urban setting ? Rural setting ?

When you say marked blue, normally that means individual houses marked for FTTH. But come time of the rollout and if you're within 500m of the nearest NGA/FTTC cabinet, then your premise would have been enabled for VDSL instead.

If your area is enabled for VDSL and you still can't get it, then your phone line is probably active and connected to the local exchange. Some providers may be able to fix that, but it depends on how inventive they are.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I did - since early Oct. That's good to know. So no FUP of 1 terrabyte?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Has something changed regarding FTTH with free calls to Irish landlines and mobiles and UK landlines and mobiles.
    I've never been charged for UK calls and have this deal months now, then this month every UK calls was charged and at a high rate, my usual 55.00 a month fixed price is 236.00 this month. Checked the bill, all UK calls charged, same few numbers called as all the previous bills.

With eir?
    Call package is now off peak Irish landlines by default, unless you upgrade the call package to Mobile World (an extra tenner I think)

Has something changed regarding FTTH with free calls to Irish landlines and mobiles and UK landlines and mobiles.
    I've never been charged for UK calls and have this deal months now, then this month every UK calls was charged and at a high rate, my usual 55.00 a month fixed price is 236.00 this month. Checked the bill, all UK calls charged, same few numbers called as all the previous bills.

Could it be, that your contract expired, you were moved to the regular rate and that also meant that you lost anything apart from off peak irish landline calls ?

Eir changed their pricing in July to only allow for free calls to irish landlines off peak. So once you're out of contract, that's probably what you get moved to.

I'd say .. it's time to shop around for a provider who doesn't screw you.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Could it be, that your contract expired, you were moved to the regular rate and that also meant that you lost anything apart from off peak irish landline calls ?

Eir changed their pricing in July to only allow for free calls to irish landlines off peak. So once you're out of contract, that's probably what you get moved to.

I'd say .. it's time to shop around for a provider who doesn't screw you.

/M

They don't move you automatically. He would have remained on the original package with a higher monthly rate.

That particular poster has had some terrible luck with monthly bills. It must be the karma he is receiving for saying Sean Cox deserved what he got.

That particular poster has had some terrible luck with monthly bills. It must be the karma he is receiving for saying Sean Cox deserved what he got.

Hahaha. Or he rang support. Actually got through. And support ticket the appropriate buttons.

No decent billing system just changes packages at random. Oh .. wait ..

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

With eir?
    Call package is now off peak Irish landlines by default, unless you upgrade the call package to Mobile World (an extra tenner I think)

With Eir...
    But I was already on the Plan I wanted, and it had free uk and mobile calls and it was fine up to this month.
    Are you telling me they could have changed it and broke the agreed contract without telling me.

• Advertisement

Overcharging customers is a reoccurring theme with Eir.

With Eir...
    But I was already on the Plan I wanted, and it had free uk and mobile calls and it was fine up to this month.
    Are you telling me they could have changed it and broke the agreed contract without telling me.

If you were on Mobile World (or whatever its called) then get onto them, sounds like your plan was changed if you only recontracted a few months ago. They are constantly having billing problems with people being billed for calls that were included in the call package.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

It's a crazy business altogether.
    Any other business would be told to get it's house in order if it was the system people would be sent in to resolve. With eir
    Sure it's not that big of a deal we'll just continue to blame the archaic system without actually doing anything about it. And unsecured laptops going missing every other time with confidential information on it.
    Comreg slap fines on them for various breeches and they pay them and nothing really changes in the aftermath

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

A happy new year to all.

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH this morning.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

I'm trying to get rural FTTH installed to the home(on the yellow line). Ordered last September from Eir Retail but there has been no follow up and getting them on the phone has proved near enough impossible and impossible to find the current status.

KN(Open Eir) has been out three times and agreed to install pole in garden in mid Nov so I could then run ducting from it to the access point I made from the old ducting that runs into the house, but hasn't happened yet and Eir retail are still working on notes from last September(1st survey needs to be done) and don't seem to understand that it's progressed past this. Actually they are so bad I called it today with them and cancelled the order as they had no idea where it was at. It's some utter mess in that company.

Was thinking at looking at Digiweb to take up the baton so to speak. Anyone who used them and found them good to get the FTTH up and running in the house? I understand it still comes back OpenEir for the work to be completed, but at least I might have a proactive retail company working to get it resolved on my behalf rather than the mess I found myself with Eir Retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

OpenEir seem fairly competent. It's just Eir retail that seem to be running around in circles having no idea what they're up to and that's if you can even get through to them on 1901.

You're definitely better off going with another ISP even if you're going on OpenEir FTTH.

Best to go with Airwire as they are very active on here and have helped many people who were having problems.

That said reports from people who signed up with Digiweb have been fairly positive.
    Eir retail is by far the worst company to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I’d recommend Airwire - very proactive.
    darkside71 wrote: »
    I'm trying to get rural FTTH installed to the home(on the yellow line). Ordered last September from Eir Retail but there has been no follow up and getting them on the phone has proved near enough impossible and impossible to find the current status.

KN(Open Eir) has been out three times and agreed to install pole in garden in mid Nov so I could then run ducting from it to the access point I made from the old ducting that runs into the house, but hasn't happened yet and Eir retail are still working on notes from last September(1st survey needs to be done) and don't seem to understand that it's progressed past this. Actually they are so bad I called it today with them and cancelled the order as they had no idea where it was at. It's some utter mess in that company.

Was thinking at looking at Digiweb to take up the baton so to speak. Anyone who used them and found them good to get the FTTH up and running in the house? I understand it still comes back OpenEir for the work to be completed, but at least I might have a proactive retail company working to get it resolved on my behalf rather than the mess I found myself with Eir Retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Still not much movement around here re KN. What I did see was next door (rural house) about 20 metres away, have a pole next to them with the spool around it. If there was one of those black boxes put on that pole, can that facilitate numerous houses or just the house next to the pole ? We have a pole just outside our gate but no spool on the pole and also all down our road is on the rural line but there is no more spools, just outside next door neighbours for some reason.

• Advertisement

Still not much movement around here re KN. What I did see was next door (rural house) about 20 metres away, have a pole next to them with the spool around it. If there was one of those black boxes put on that pole, can that facilitate numerous houses or just the house next to the pole ? We have a pole just outside our gate but no spool on the pole and also all down our road is on the rural line but there is no more spools, just outside next door neighbours for some reason.

Usually it will serve four premises, sometimes eight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement