Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Nothing going on here with my area either was supposed to start early 2019 guess that could mean anytime in the next 6 months knowing how Eir work.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Usually it will serve four premises, sometimes eight.

Thanks Dominique Loud Waistband. That's great news. Today was the first time I saw that spool on the pole I don't know when they put it up. I'm sure it will reach us if we are 20ish metres away but just out of interest for the other people on the road who are on the line, how far in either direction roughly will one of those boxes provide the service ?

Currently on hold to eir looking for info but I know I'll have got better info here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Thanks navi. That's great news. Today was the first time I saw that spool on the pole I don't know when they put it up. I'm sure it will reach us if we are 20ish metres away but just out of interest for the other people on the road who are on the line, how far in either direction roughly will one of those boxes provide the service ?

Currently on hold to eir looking for info but I know I'll have got better info here :)

Usually they would have planned the build so that an installer would have to bring a cable probably a maximum of two to three pole spans from the distribution point box to reach a premises. If there were more premises further on more DP boxes would usually be required to serve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Generally 50m, some are up to 200m ish, but I know of one 500m

Thanks for the info guys. Just as suspected eir are shocking. I was on hold for over 40mins, I got disconnected so went onto the eir chat and just the same generic responses. Eir are good if everything is fine but if there is a problem and you need so info off them, seems like you're screwed.

Really appreciate the info here. Seems there is some light at the end of the tunnel with that spool of wire on the pole next door. Just a pity there is no where within eir or kn that will give out more information.

Thanks again for the help, most appreciated!

Silly chat with eir support :(

[HTML]https://imgur.com/a/p4h1nQi[/HTML]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Thanks for the info guys. Just as suspected eir are shocking. I was on hold for over 40mins, I got disconnected so went onto the eir chat and just the same generic responses. Eir are good if everything is fine but if there is a problem and you need so info off them, seems like you're screwed.

Really appreciate the info here. Seems there is some light at the end of the tunnel with that spool of wire on the pole next door. Just a pity there is no where within eir or kn that will give out more information.

Thanks again for the help, most appreciated!

[HTML]https://imgur.com/a/p4h1nQi[/HTML]

Have you checked your eircode on the Airwire checker?

chris_ie wrote: »
    Have you checked your eircode on the Airwire checker?

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked there, it just say 'not available.'

Seems KN came in around the area and blitzed it with all the spooling on the poles but haven't put up any 'black boxes' around the general area. Tons of poles with spools on them.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"Rolling out efibre all over Ireland" - hell's bloody bells.

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked there, it just say 'not available.'

Seems KN came in around the area and blitzed it with all the spooling on the poles but haven't put up any 'black boxes' around the general area. Tons of poles with spools on them.

Funny - same checker says available soon for my area - however no "spools" or "black boxes" - very hard to know what to believe. Usually what we see in front of us doesn't lie but a few posters here have already mentioned dps on poles for ages before it became actually available. Just heard from a buddy here at work he's not covered by the Openeir rollout and he's not on the NBP either - poor sod.

turbbo wrote: »
    Funny - same checker says available soon for my area - however no "spools" or "black boxes" - very hard to know what to believe. Usually what we see in front of us doesn't lie but a few posters here have already mentioned dps on poles for ages before it became actually available. Just heard from a buddy here at work he's not covered by the Openeir rollout and he's not on the NBP either - poor sod.

Would it be possible that they are underground and you missed the work taking place?

• Advertisement

Would it be possible that they are underground and you missed the work taking place?

Nah everything is on poles here even in the more built up areas it’s on poles which seems daft but I suppose eir have been cutting corners for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

turbbo wrote: »
    Funny - same checker says available soon for my area

Available soon on FTTH means that your home has been indexed for FTTH. That in itself means, that you will get it. OpenEIR don't volunteer more precise info than that. Not even to the providers.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

'available soon' in my area since November (maybe even before that)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jaydev

I've had fibre outside my house now since April last year.
    They have DPs all down the road further and are installing.
    My house is 1.2km from the cab and for that reason I'm told that I'm TOO CLOSE to get fibre because others further away need it more. So just to rub salt in the wounds, I can't get my ADSL2+ line to stabilise and it drops back to ADSL_G.dmt giving me 6ish mbps downstream and around 0.7mbps upstream. I am the most frustrated grumpy git in my area when anybody talks about broadband - stuck either way I turn.

I've even had eir guys come along and wonder why we don't have a DP on the pole but they (like us) don't know where to go to check that a mistake hasn't been made.

The nearest DP is 7 poles away and that pole services 2 houses max - but too far for a fibre run - so again I'm stuck.

At some point I am hoping they change that rule about installing no DPs less than 1.5 km from the cabinet - seems silly to be turning down a willing customer.

Good luck to you all who still have faith ;-)

jaydev wrote: »
    My house is 1.2km from the cab and for that reason I'm told that I'm TOO CLOSE to get fibre because others further away need it more. So just to rub salt in the wounds, I can't get my ADSL2+ line to stabilise and it drops back to ADSL_G.dmt giving me 6ish mbps downstream and around 0.7mbps upstream. I am the most frustrated grumpy git in my area when anybody talks about broadband - stuck either way I turn.

I've even had eir guys come along and wonder why we don't have a DP on the pole but they (like us) don't know where to go to check that a mistake hasn't been made.

The nearest DP is 7 poles away and that pole services 2 houses max - but too far for a fibre run - so again I'm stuck.

At some point I am hoping they change that rule about installing no DPs less than 1.5 km from the cabinet - seems silly to be turning down a willing customer.

my God i think that abominable - no wonder you are frustrated about it!

- its kinda like the same scenario in my village. - The FTTC in the village went live in November - I am still waiting for FTTH to become live and working , but when it finally does it could mean a house or business in the village will only be available to get around 90mbps VDSL say and I am about 1.5km away but could opt for 1gbps FTTH if I wanted to! - seems strange/daft doesnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jaydev

my God i think that abominable - no wonder you are frustrated about it!

- its kinda like the same scenario in my village. - The FTTC in the village went live in November - I am still waiting for FTTH to become live and working , but when it finally does it could mean a house or business in the village will only be available to get around 90mbps VDSL say and I am about 1.5km away but could opt for 1gbps FTTH if I wanted to! - seems strange/daft doesnt it.

Strange isn't the half of it! :rolleyes:
    In any other line of business this simply wouldn't be tolerated.

It's actually 500m from the cab max for quite a while planning wise .. But then they've made exceptions in some places.

They are now abandoning most copper plant .. But it'll take 1-2 years to materialize .. eircom has never been known for a quick turnaround..

Well .. the 300k is wonder the fast performance on such a build out in history since they got privatized .

/M

yep thats right - they surely must get some complaints about it - especially from non-technical customers as well not knowing the difference between FTTC/FTTH , they would be like "how can it be that my friend who doesnt even live in the village can get 1gbps and I live in the village right near the cabinet and I can only get 90mbps max?"

They will eventually move everyone to fibre but it's a long way away
    You're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

yep thats right - they surely must get some complaints about it - especially from non-technical customers as well not knowing the difference between FTTC/FTTH , they would be like "how can it be that my friend who doesnt even live in the village can get 1gbps and I live in the village right near the cabinet and I can only get 90mbps max?"

Not really ...

because most people don't need more than 50 Mbit/s and as long as everything works, that's fine. As long as it's solid.

For those non-technical people, that would complain, it's willy waving at best. And I don't think OpenEIR are going to give a toss about that unless such people pay a premium. Nor will Eir retail.

Mind .. the majority only subscribe to the bare minimum: 150 Mbit/s .. not the 1 Gbit/s package.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Not really ...

because most people don't need more than 50 Mbit/s and as long as everything works, that's fine. As long as it's solid.

For those non-technical people, that would complain, it's willy waving at best. And I don't think OpenEIR are going to give a toss about that unless such people pay a premium. Nor will Eir retail.

Mind .. the majority only subscribe to the bare minimum: 150 Mbit/s .. not the 1 Gbit/s package.

/M

many non-tech people wont realise that they dont need more than 50mbps in most cases - they will just look on it as unfair that someone out of the village is getting more internet download speed as they are presently getting in the village .. and if someone does decide to take the 1gbps , a hell of a lot more . They will just want it available to them , regardless if they need it or not .

Look on it as a 100w light bulb (well thats irrelevant now) - if you put a dimmer switch on it you might not have it or require it at full power 100w brightness all the time for its purpose ... but .. if you do want maximum power you can whop up the dimmer switch and the full power is there, and its nice to have (more than enough illumination than what you need for the room .. but its there all the same)

equate that to 1gbps download speed - you might most of the time not even need anywhere near it most of the time but how great to actually have it there for when you need it or for the future - but if you are a business in the village or run your business from home and also do a lot of uploading as well as downloading and you could really do with having more speed than you need , and money is no object for the fastest speed but your tied to 90mbps maximum you have no leeway even if you wanted more speed. But as you say , eventually everyone will be fibre provided (will that be FTTC or FTTH fibre provided though?)

You can't compare this with a lightbulb.

1 Gbit to somebody who doesn't know what to use it for or somebody with a 10 year old computer is like a Ferrari and not being able to insure, tax nor put fuel in it .. Nevermind that you can't get 98 octane anyhow.

It is Willy waving at that point .. full stop. No light bulb needed.

/M

Business is not the bread and butter of Openeir - they make up a tiny part of their profits, its the average consumer where the money is and most are happy with 30mb downloads.
    Why pay the premium for 150+ if you are never likely to use it which is the majority of users.
    Even with Netflix etc 30mb is plenty fast enough

Oh .. and the only reason Eir / OpenEir are selling the profiles they're selling is willy waving, too.

The reason they introduced the Gbit/s profile was to compete against SIRO and Virgin. There is no sane reason behind it.

In most other european countries, fibre packages are 80, 100 and 120 Mbit/s. Everything faster is business packages.

As of recent, that game has been upped to 250 Mbit/s. But not Gbit/s .. apart from Switzerland .. where the current owner of Eircom PLC is the cause of it.

So .. us tech savvy geeky people are quite fortunate to be able to get Gbit/s packages at residential pricing.

/M

If your home is not amber on the NBP map you need to email Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie to be included in the NBP. Unfortunately it sounds like you are one of the many premises that has fallen between the cracks of the FTTC and FTTH deployments.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

fritzelly wrote: »
    Business is not the bread and butter of Openeir - they make up a tiny part of their profits, its the average consumer where the money is and most are happy with 30mb downloads.
    Why pay the premium for 150+ if you are never likely to use it which is the majority of users.
    Even with Netflix etc 30mb is plenty fast enough

what about the greater upload speeds tho - a hell of a lot of people uploading these days , youtube facebook etc and this would be average consumer too.

To get better upload speeds you need a better / higher download package

most motor cars will do 150kmh+ and more - your not always driving at that speed but its good to know its there if you need it :D

is it not in the ISP's interested to try and get as many household/business on 1gbps as fast as they can so they can charge the customer more subscription charge?

Customer phones up to order package "if you go for the 1gbps package sir we have a special offer on that at the moment of ...." - thats how you make more money make them sign up to a high speed package even though you know they most probably wont need it

but if the premises can only get 90mbps you cannot sell them a 1gbps package

Facebook - what? Youtube, maybe take 5 mins to upload a 100mb video (say around 15 mins of video) on a sub 100mb connection.
    Most people are not uploading gigabits of data!

fritzelly wrote: »
    Facebook - what? Youtube, maybe take 5 mins to upload a 100mb video (say around 15 mins of video) on a sub 100mb connection.
    Most people are not uploading gigabits of data!

with the advent of 4K video and that they might

• Advertisement

with the advent of 4K video and that they might

Unless you're a movie producer you aint recording at 4k, and if you're uploading to YT you are not even recording at full HD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement