Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »
    Unless you're a movie producer you aint recording at 4k, and if you're uploading to YT you are not even recording at full HD

Mjaeh .. I might beg to differ .. but I agree, that the majority of consumer deal with 720p at best.

4k is another willy waving scenario. It's there to get people to spend money on stuff they don't need. At least in the realm of consumers.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm talking the average guy, not the serial YouTubers who are generally not living in rural Ireland or rural anywhere for that matter.

As for 4k, don't know anyone that has a 4k tv and they're already coming out with 8k tv's

I'm talking the average guy, not the serial YouTubers who are generally not living in rural Ireland or rural anywhere for that matter.

As for 4k, don't know anyone that has a 4k tv and they're already coming out with 8k tv's

360 degree footage can be 6k+ .. while you only may view 1080p at any given time, the stream is more than 4k.

Again .. it's a limited amount of people that do it, but there's plenty amateurs .. even in Ireland .... that product higher quality than 1080p.

But it's not your average consumer alright.

And I know plenty of people that have 4k TVs ... but nearly none of them ever get to utilize more than 1080p.

/M

Uploaded a few 3-4 min vids to YouTube today, 720p was more than adequate and they were tiny in size, 40ish mb

Just seen an ad on the tv, 73% of Vodafone customers are on super fast BB speeds over 35mb - UK ad lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Uploaded a few 3-4 min vids to YouTube today, 720p was more than adequate and they were tiny in size, 40ish mb

well thats because its tiny, and did you upload as a compressed mp4 format?

you try uploading uncompressed avi movie in HD on a poor upload connection ...

just because you dont upload long video's in high quality to youtube it doesnt mean others dont these days.

again with the use of google drive and the cloud and people backing up their hard drive to the cloud you need really good upload speed for all those gigabytes of files ... and you get the best upload speed if you order the 1gbps FTTH package

so (IMHO) even though it maybe overkill for most - if you are in that position of affording the 1gbps package and even though you may not utilize anywhere near that speed most of the time - get it and stop mucking about, at least you got it there when you need it and wont be one of these "I ordered the 150mbps and I wish I had gone for the 1gbps package now"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

For €288 more per year for 1 Gbps vs 150 Mbps, I think most people who don't have more money than they know what to do with will be quite happy to compress their videos to something sensible or just go make a cup of coffee and read some news while ridiculously large videos upload.

cnocbui wrote: »
    For €288 more per year for 1 Gbps vs 150 Mbps, I think most people who don't have more money than they know what to do with will be quite happy to compress their videos to something sensible or just go make a cup of coffee and read some news while ridiculously large videos upload.

and i know loads of people will not total it up over the year of how much it costs extra like that, they will say for €24 extra a month (77cents per day) extra we can get the maximum speed available

So only financial fools get 1 Gbps fibre so they can upload their massive uncompressed videos...

No argument from me, then.

cnocbui wrote: »
    So only financial fools get 1 Gbps fibre so they can upload their massive uncompressed videos...

No argument from me, then.

i will go for the 1gbps if i can afford it lol :D

(waits for you to say "I rest my case") :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

i will go for the 1gbps if i can afford it lol :D

(waits for you to say "I rest my case") :)

When my 12 months are up, I'll most likely drop from the 300Mbps to the 150Mbps package. Most of the wireless devices in my household connect at 2.4GHz, especially if not in the same room as the router. So they run at between 50 to 160Mbps. So effectively they aren't able to use the 300Mbps service I have anyhow. My Freesat and my Android boxes are wired and connect at 100Mbps. Streaming UHD (which isn't full 4K but not far off) uses 25-30Mbps. So even with only 150Mbps that's more than covered.

So to actually use my 300Mbps, I have to either use a 5GHz device in the same room or wire my laptop directly to the router....

As you expected posters to say - You really aren't going to get the benefit - unless you are *really* requiring the upload. But it's your cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Do you automatically or is it possible to get a fixed unshared IP Address with FTTH? If so do some or all of the current FTTH providers supply it?

daraghwal wrote: »
    Do you automatically or is it possible to get a fixed unshared IP Address with FTTH? If so do some or all of the current FTTH providers supply it?

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/ruralftth

Fixed IP ( Has to be requested ) Free

Dunno about the others. Needless to say our fixed static IP with Eir at work on a backup line has actually changed and they didn't tell us. I'm not surprised, it's Eir...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've no idea if I actually have a fixed IP with Eir but it has not changed in the 5 months since I've had it and I've restarted my router several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

tuxy wrote: »
    I've no idea if I actually have a fixed IP with Eir but it has not changed in the 5 months since I've had it and I've restarted my router several times.

It is not fixed but I've had the same experience with eir. Same IP for several months.

Don't think any ISP give a static IP as standard, chances are it will hardly ever change for most people - as above mine hasn't changed since forever, even with turning it off every night.
    It's free with eir but there is a setup charge IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Plenty of people with 4k tv's me for one 55" oled c8, amazing picture even with upscaling skyhd.. bluray's and playstation games
    Marlow wrote: »
    And I know plenty of people that have 4k TVs ... but nearly none of them ever get to utilize more than 1080p./M

I can record 4k, have yet to do so yet.. but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Those with large families, 10+,all who watch youtube/netflix/apple tv, play games, skype, face time, etc. would need the 1GB connection

No they wouldn't.

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Those with large families, 10+,all who watch youtube/netflix/apple tv, play games, skype, face time, etc. would need the 1GB connection

Unlikely. My company has 45+ people and the internet connection is 100/100. That includes VPN tunnels to multiple sites, VoIP, video conferencing and the internet. Now since we have started to move Terabytes of data around, that has become a bottleneck (I'm talking 3 concurrent downloads constantly for 4 or 5 days continuous) and we'll have to upgrade our circuit to accommodate the other services.

However 10 people intermittently using 1Gb.... Nah.

• Advertisement

Even streaming 4k you could have 5 people streaming and still have bandwidth to spare on a 150mb connection
    Unless you are planning to be downloading the internet with multiple 4k upstreams you do not need any more than 150mb
    Some people are deluded that faster is better, a lot of servers in the world can only handle 100mb throughput shared among all their visitors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think a more important factor with that many users would be getting a provider with no FUP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Some people are deluded that faster is better

Lol!

so openeir are wrong for connecting homes and supplying homes with infrastructure for homes because its overkill , and isp's are imbeciles for offering 1gbps internet fibre packages to home users because its overkill and too much speed for most home users? ... but its available anyway

They sell packages way beyond what people need because people think yeah 1gbps, I've got the greatest internet speed in the world all the while barely topping 100mb usage and OE are just laughing at all the extra money they are making

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

They sell packages way beyond what people need because people think yeah 1gbps, I've got the greatest internet speed in the world all the while barely topping 100mb usage and OE are just laughing at all the extra money they are making

Yeah correct in so far as eir are making money off the back of charging so much more for the 1gb. But it was a no brainer to go 1gb with the rollout. No extra cost or hassle for them.
    Not sure 1gb will be as crazy as it seems now for too long. The tech is moving quite quickly, that bandwidth is waiting to be filled. And 1gb isn’t just an Ireland thing it’s spreading thoughout the world and many places are far more advanced than here, they too will be looking at making use of the extra bandwidth. But yeah I won’t be signing up for 1g at 80 quid a month just yet.

i'm sure its more than that - I will go with if its do-able and the technology is there and can be offered (to people with enough finances) ....then why not?

I am glad, I would hate for them to say "well we can technically offer 1gbps connection these days no problem" but for them to say "but we are not going to offer it" (for one reason or another) ...

Don't think any ISP give a static IP as standard, chances are it will hardly ever change for most people - as above mine hasn't changed since forever, even with turning it off every night.
    It's free with eir but there is a setup charge IIRC

Eir: Charging a setup charge means it's not free. And you change from their IPoE setup to PPPoE. Not sure what else breaks in that process.
    Airwire: free .. but not allocated by default because most don't care. No setup fee, no monthly fee.
    Vodafone: fixed IP only on biz packages (as far as I know). Residential change IP every 24 hours due to ip change on enforced disconnect.

Others I don't know.

/M

Free as in no "rental" charge once setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

pegasus1 wrote: »

Not quite 10, but we did have 6 total users whose use of the internet could be described as "quite heavy" where there were around 13 devices running at the highest concurrent moment. Even between video streaming services, video calls, gaming and general downloads. 150Mbps seemed more than enough to cover everything.

The 1Gbps package we have really only comes into play for my more personal out-of-the-ordinary upload use and needs for some hobbies and online content, The download could have even serviced myself at 300Mbps if profiles were a bit more symmetrical, so certainly I find making use of the upload speed very handy but I'm certainly not the average Joe when it comes to that and what I'm using it for and what I plan to do with it in the future.

I can completely see why other countries don't tend to offer such a package residentially as it really would be a waste of a bill and overkill for even the highest use of most homes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement