Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

oscarBravo wrote: »
    See above. It wasn't an early fibre install per se, just a helpful KN crew on a bogus "you need copper for fibre" eir installation. Not to mention calling on the original installation date for orders that have been rescheduled and reporting "customer not ready" which bollixes up the whole process.

Bogus? In fairness, they never said that I needed it. They said for some reason eir wanted the phone line enabled first. I wasn’t complaining tbh. The same kn guy had done a dsl install 18 months ago, and it was unusable. So I’m delighted to see that I’m nearly there. I’ve been working off a 50 Gb a month download cap on mobile broadband.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bogus? In fairness, they never said that I needed it. They said for some reason eir wanted the phone line enabled first.

That's the bogus part. You don't need a phone line for FTTH.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's the bogus part. You don't need a phone line for FTTH.

As long as eir aren't planning to start charging me once the phone line is enabled, i'm not too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I would try and order it now. My area goes live 2nd May, but i was able to order last week via eir chat. Router arrived Thursday, 3 KN guys showed up Friday, got the phone line re-enabled and the fibre pulled from the road to inside the house. So my biggest concern about a blocked duct is dealt with. I will still have to wait until my install date of 8th may, but the ground work is done, so i hope for no more major delays.

I thought I'd try Eir chat and see what happens .

They said they can't put an order through for another 3-4 weeks as there is still works ongoing and that installation should be within a week of ordering .

I was experimenting with the Airwire checker using random eircodes for nearby villages fed from the same exchange as me .

Depending on which route you follow from the exchange you get different dates .

One village says Available 25-04-2018 ( according to the Eir fibre checker , the eircode I used has FTTH available to order )

Another village says Available 09-05-2018 .

My village says Available 09-05-2018 .

The countdown begins ........

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

Geimhreadh wrote: »
    Anyone know how strict they are on not running cable through the attic?
    We have a pole on the road with the copper coming across the garden and into the attic through the fascia/soffit.
    From there it runs across the attic and dropped down behind the TV in the living room.

I'm really failing to see where they would install the fibre termination box if they wont use the attic.

They will not install the OTU etc in an attic but they will run cable through an attic. I had FTTH installed last week after I had ducts run under the garden. The duct terminated at the house wall. I drilled a hole in the soffit to get access to the attic and put a pull through in place. The KN installer ran the cable up the wall and into the attic.He then pulled it to the other end of the house(30 metres) and put it down through a stud wall into the utility room where it was terminated. I had pre-drilled the stud and left a pull through in place so the time in attic was minimised.

• Advertisement

ninja 12 wrote: »

They said they can't put an order through for another 3-4 weeks as there is still works ongoing and that installation should be within a week of ordering .

I was experimenting with the Airwire checker using random eircodes for nearby villages fed from the same exchange as me .

One village says Available 25-04-2018 ( according to the Eir fibre checker , the eircode I used has FTTH available to order )

I guess the advantage i had was that the exchange was enabled last November so they are not just enabling area by area around the exchange now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

For the past few days Neville Civils (sub-contracted to K&N) have been working around Newmarket-on-Fergus.
    They are putting in the black duct pipe through which the fibre gets blown.
    They are working today out towards Sixmilebridge, which is mostly ducted along the roadside, with poles to take the line into most of the older the houses.

The same guys were in Miltown Malbay a short time ago.
    I was told the guys blowing the fibre were about a week behind them in Miltown.

IIRC N-o-F was not down for connections until end of the year ..... I wonder if the pace has quickened up or is this just a case of using locally available manpower?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

For the past few days Neville Civils (sub-contracted to K&N) have been working around Newmarket-on-Fergus.
    They are putting in the black duct pipe through which the fibre gets blown.
    They are working today out towards Sixmilebridge, which is mostly ducted along the roadside, with poles to take the line into most of the older the houses.

The same guys were in Miltown Malbay a short time ago.
    I was told the guys blowing the fibre were about a week behind them in Miltown.

IIRC N-o-F was not down for connections until end of the year ..... I wonder if the pace has quickened up or is this just a case of using locally available manpower?

I've seen orange ducting being pulled through in our area (Cong, Mayo) a few weeks back. I think it was by MWC. I take it the colour is meaningless?

Anyhow there's nothing on the poles yet and needless to say, no activity seen since. Would they blow fibre down the ducting without stringing it on the poles?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

MBSnr wrote: »
    I've seen orange ducting being pulled through in our area (Cong, Mayo) a few weeks back. I think it was by MWC. I take it the colour is meaningless?

Anyhow there's nothing on the poles yet and needless to say, no activity seen since. Would they blow fibre down the ducting without stringing it on the poles?

The orange duct pipe is much larger than the black, and usually is for longer distances and holds (I think) 3 x black duct pipes, through which the fibre is blown. As there is existing duct in the ground where they were working there was no need for the orange duct.

That is my understanding from what the lads told me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The orange duct pipe is much larger than the black, and usually is for longer distances and holds (I think) 3 x black duct pipes, through which the fibre is blown. As there is existing duct in the ground where they were working there was no need for the orange duct.

That is my understanding from what the lads told me today.

Correct. That could be Aurora Fiber (Bord Gais) from Killala to Galway, that they're prepping for (terristrial part of the Jumfrue/Mermaid fiber US to DK/UK/IE). And that won't service residential premises nor allow for spurs apart at the main fiber distribution points. They'd run those for like 40-80km without cutting the fiber and then amplifying the light again.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Correct. That could be Aurora Fiber (Bord Gais) from Killala to Galway, that they're prepping for (terristrial part of the Jumfrue/Mermaid fiber US to DK/UK/IE). And that won't service residential premises nor allow for spurs apart at the main fiber distribution points. They'd run those for like 40-80km without cutting the fiber and then amplifying the light again.

/M

I don't think so, unless they got lost! It was ducting in manhole covers between Eir poles on a road heading West-East. Maybe they just run out of the black ducting....:D

I don't think so, unless they got lost! It was ducting in manhole covers between Eir poles on a road heading West-East. Maybe they just run out of the black ducting....:D

Haha. Could very well be Eir so. Could be ducting between exchanges also. It wouldn't be wise to run larger amounts of fiber overhead .. at least not on the quality wiring and poles, that OpenEIR standardises at :)

/M

Haha. Could very well be Eir so. Could be ducting between exchanges also. It wouldn't be wise to run larger amounts of fiber overhead .. at least not on the quality wiring and poles, that OpenEIR standardises at :)

/M

Ah actually you might be right. There's a small exchange in that direction, the other side of the village fed from the main one, that is due live end 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Neil is usually a disruptive outsider rather than market leading incumbent but major changes are underway.

Eir restructure tipped to follow Swiss model

https://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/eir-restructure-tipped-to-follow-swiss-model-36807400.html

KOR101 wrote: »
    Neil is usually a disruptive outsider rather than market leading incumbent but major changes are underway.

https://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/eir-restructure-tipped-to-follow-swiss-model-36807400.html

Just as long as they finish the 300K FTTH rollout they agreed to do,

I'm past caring about Eir. In both my personal and business dealings with them over the last 15 years, they have been nothing but generally useless (customer care) and unprofessional (sales and account managers).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This doesn't look good for eir if that is what they are planning
    But its overall results have also disappointed to date, with big falls in both its subscriber base and its average revenue per user.

Staff at Eir are understood to be concerned that similarly radical cutbacks at the company could negatively impact its customer service in a competitive market, although Eir's new owners moved to reassure staff and customers that it could fulfil all of its commitments when it confirmed the cutbacks last Thursday.

What customer service ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Neil is going to have an impossible job starting up a customer service department in Eir.
    The company does not know the meaning of customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

garroff wrote: »
    Neil is going to have an impossible job starting up a customer service department in Eir.
    The company does not know the meaning of customer service.

Don't see that improving with this shower either. I suppose when you're at the bottom the only way is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Geimhreadh wrote: »
    Anyone know how strict they are on not running cable through the attic?
    We have a pole on the road with the copper coming across the garden and into the attic through the fascia/soffit.
    From there it runs across the attic and dropped down behind the TV in the living room.

I'm really failing to see where they would install the fibre termination box if they wont use the attic.

KN guys dont get paid unless its an install afaik, insist on the attic, my guy was sound about it, i helped him out and he did a grand job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Fibre Bouladuff

I asked our WAN business account manager to get a date for FTTP go live for Borrisoleigh exchange, took my order and say the tail will be installed by late June. Hopefully that means the whole town is live then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭michaelheno

Looking to get in FTTH soon the original copper cable is coming in over head and in a awkward place I presume the knn guys would bring the new fiber cable in Gable end into the attic and then down into the study so I might do a bit of the work myself just want to know what dia hole should be drillled in the gable end for the cable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

_sheep wrote: »
    I asked our WAN business account manager to get a date for FTTP go live for Borrisoleigh exchange, took my order and say the tail will be installed by late June. Hopefully that means the whole town is live then too.

It’s apparently going live on the 09/05/18 according to Airwire

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Looking to get in FTTH soon the original copper cable is coming in over head and in a awkward place I presume the knn guys would bring the new fiber cable in Gable end into the attic and then down into the study so I might do a bit of the work myself just want to know what dia hole should be drillled in the gable end for the cable

Apparently they don't do attics anymore and take the cable to the nearest eave and then through the wall of that room where they install all the unsightly boxes.

It is very annoying because the attic is probably the best place for most of the install from an aesthetic and practical viewpoint. Still, sounds like it's worse in New Zealand where the homeowner gets shoddy and unsightly as standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The cable is pretty tiny about 5.5mm x 2.2mm. Recent posts have said they will do attic work and if you have the hole drilled they are even more likely to accommodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

So how long after an exchange goes live can Fibre be ordered ?

My exchange had a live date of April 11th .

I'm getting different answers depending on which site I try .

According to - https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ it's not available.

According to the Airwire checker it'll be available on May 9th .

According to Digiweb , it's available . ( I'm assuming they just go by the estimated live date ? )

The map at http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ , still says "estimated live date is April 11th " , my house is blue on the map .
    I'm guessing that'll change when the map gets updated next .

After years of waiting for decent broadband it's so tantalizingly close , and I'm just getting impatient :D:D
    So I'll be able to order on May 9th ?

How long from ordering to installation usually ?
    Days / weeks ?

Thanks
    OpenEIR won't allow us to place the order before the "RFO" date. (That's "ready for order"). And we have to give them 5 workdays advance notice on any order.

So the earliest, that you could have FTTH is the 15 or 16.05.2018.

That's the same for any of the OpenEIR wholesales partners. What they tell you in advance is a different story.
    Thanks for the info :)

Only 4 more weeks :D

Multi quoting myself here ( apologies ) because I'm sitting here in shock :eek:

I thought I'd try the Eir broadband checker a little while ago .

Typed in my eircode ( as I've done many times already ) and got the following -
    Great News!
    Fibre to the Home is available

Checked with my phone number and got the following -

448807.jpg

I checked the airwire checker as well , and got "Available "
    Previously , it said available on May 9th .

Tried the Eir online chat with sales , and now have FTTH ordered :D:D

Ordered " eir Fibre Extreme unlimited up to 300Mb "

They reckon 5 days for install ( we'll see )

Strangely , the fibrerollout.ie site still says "first half of 2018" , even though Digiweb , Airwire and Eir sales (including Eir Site ) all say available .

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Strangely , the fibrerollout.ie site still says "first half of 2018" , even though Digiweb , Airwire and Eir sales (including Eir Site ) all say available .

That's because the fibrerollout.ie map still hasn't been updated again. You can see that on the page, once you click "Check rolloutmap", it says "Data last updated 26/03/2018".

Our data gets updated weekly and of course, if OpenEIR manages to enable an area quicker, then the "Ready for Order" date gets removed.

And it also looks like Eir takes a good while to update their data.

Outside my window. :/ half of it is missing.

There’s another one 8 metres away is it an extension of that of sorts?

Outside my window. :/ half of it is missing.

There’s another one 8 metres away is it an extension of that of sorts?

That looks like the mounting frame and cable for a DP. The DP not being mounted yet.

Generally, they start with the fiber loop. Fit the frame and eventually the DP.

/M

• Advertisement

That looks like the mounting frame and cable for a DP. The DP not being mounted yet.

Generally, they start with the fiber loop. Fit the frame and eventually the DP.

/M

I walked through the nettles and got a close up look at the other pole. Same, no DP fitted. Apparently going live on the 9th of May. The fibre was hung last Friday so I’ll assume it’ll be tomorrow or sometime in the next few days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement