Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Who's the recluse AH? Cats always get a bad rap :D

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

medoc wrote: »
    Would anyone have any idea where I could get information on when our exchange - Mount Bolus in Offaly will be done. Was supposed to be in the 2nd half of 2018. I know the final finish date has slipped to mid 2019. I contacted open Eir by email last November and on twitter a few times and got no response.
    The best indication is by checking if preparation work has been completed (poles replaced, manholes rebuilt) and if there is fibre cable and distribution point boxes on the poles in your area. That gives you a decent indication that the area should be live soon although there are exceptions to that rule also. open eir are notoriously difficult to get information from..

OpenEIR have only just about fixed the issues of the existing build in Co. Offally, with a few outstanding issues still being there.

So far no areas have been pushed to Q2/19 yet .. so it's hard to know which of the ones that now are in Q1 will be tackled first. But it's likely that we'll get a good idea on Tuesday. There is a good chance, that we'll get a big badge of premises with RFO dates on Tuesday, as the amount of indexed (but not passed) premises ... that is what we call "Available soon" ... has gone from the usual 6-8k premises to nearly 28k.

Back to what this thread is about - hope to see some work going on soon in my area. Also I will need to get myself a good non-wireless router - did a bit of googling and all I could see was this -ubiquiti edgerouter x - anybody know if it's any good? I don't need a bunch of ports more interested in features like firewall, stability etc.

turbbo wrote: »
    Back to what this thread is about - hope to see some work going on soon in my area. Also I will need to get myself a good non-wireless router - did a bit of googling and all I could see was this -ubiquiti edgerouter x - anybody know if it's any good? I don't need a bunch of ports more interested in features like firewall, stability etc.

We offer the Mikrotik range of routers as an alternative and have them rated for throughput (with firewalling etc. enabled) on our products page: http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/ruralftth

I know of at least one customer, that is using the Edgerouter Lite or the likes. But we have no experience with them, so couldn't tell anything about throughput.

Mikrotik also have their 4011 board upcoming, which also will be able to pass Gbit/s and even have a 10 Gbit/s SFP+ port. It's replacing the 2011 and 3011 boards, which are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Another interesting one would be the Mikrotik HEX S. But I doubt it'll handle more than 350 Mbit/s.

Cheers Martin I will check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mikrotik's are amazing devices with so many features. They are a pain to setup from scratch but once fully up and going they are great.

I wouldnt recommend them if you're not very I.T savy

Headshot wrote: »
    Mikrotik's are amazing devices with so many features. They are a pain to setup from scratch but once fully up and going they are great.

I wouldnt recommend them if you're not very I.T savy

Correct. Mikrotik devices require network knowledge and preferable also some Linux knowledge. You can't access the core linux of RouterOS, but naming in RouterOS is a lot like in Linux.

The Ubiquity boards on the other hand are webinterface based and probably more geared towards a novice.

Yeah from reading reviews the Ubiquiti is supposed to have a basic UI and you need to break into cli for any detailed config. but that could be old info now from looking at the manual it seems pretty well covered. the gb Mikrotik looks a bit overkill for me - too many ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yeah from reading reviews the Ubiquiti is supposed to have a basic UI and you need to break into cli for any detailed config. but that could be old info now from looking at the manual it seems pretty well covered. the gb Mikrotik looks a bit overkill for me - too many ports.

The 1100AHx4 ?

Those are actually handy. Because you can configure them as 3 switch-groups. So it gives you 2 x 5 port and 1 x 3 port Gbit/s switch.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yeah but technically this thread is about rural FTTH .. er not routers ;)

but it seems to have ascended into routers discussion now... :)

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    The 1100AHx4 ?

Those are actually handy. Because you can configure them as 3 switch-groups. So it gives you 2 x 5 port and 1 x 3 port Gbit/s switch.

/M

Yeah 13 ports total overkill I need 2 - one in one out. Not running youtube from my house like!!!:D

Already have 2 gigabit switches that have more than enough ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

The best indication is by checking if preparation work has been completed (poles replaced, manholes rebuilt) and if there is fibre cable and distribution point boxes on the poles in your area. That gives you a decent indication that the area should be live soon although there are exceptions to that rule also. open eir are notoriously difficult to get information from..
    OpenEIR have only just about fixed the issues of the existing build in Co. Offally, with a few outstanding issues still being there.

So far no areas have been pushed to Q2/19 yet .. so it's hard to know which of the ones that now are in Q1 will be tackled first. But it's likely that we'll get a good idea on Tuesday. There is a good chance, that we'll get a big badge of premises with RFO dates on Tuesday, as the amount of indexed (but not passed) premises ... that is what we call "Available soon" ... has gone from the usual 6-8k premises to nearly 28k.

They cut the ditches and have replaced some poles in the past couple of months. No signs of anything else since. I keep checking for KN vans every evening after work and looking at the lines along the road. Oh well hopefully not too much longer.

@ Airwire: MartinL

martin, you know OpenEir don't normally liaise with the general public - how much leverage does an actual ISP have in communicating with them to see what the hold-up is / delay on finishing off FTTH and getting a definate date of completion?

EDIT:sorry in advance if I have already asked this question before . I cannot remember asking it.

martin, you know OpenEir don't normally liaise with the general public - how much leverage does an actual ISP have in communicating with them to see what the hold-up is / delay on finishing off FTTH and getting a definate date of completion?

OpenEIR only liase with entities, that they have a contractual obligation to. And that's fairly normal for a business that doesn't deal with direct sales.

We only deal with queries in regards to orders for customers, that have ordered with us, when it comes to OpenEIR.

If the general public has queries, then they need to contact the contract holder. So in the case of the 300k rollout, the contract is with the DCCAE.

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH this morning.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Hi there,

Given that the fibrerollout.ie site appears to be abandoned - can anyone please advise how best to keep up to date for my areas proposed FTTH rollout? It was supposed to be 'Winter 2018' but obviously that has now slipped. The area is Valleymount if that helps.

Thanks in advance

OpenEIR only liase with entities, that they have a contractual obligation to. And that's fairly normal for a business that doesn't deal with direct sales.

We only deal with queries in regards to orders for customers, that have ordered with us, when it comes to OpenEIR.

If the general public has queries, then they need to contact the contract holder. So in the case of the 300k rollout, the contract is with the DCCAE.

ah right - thank you

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH this morning.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Was there a massive reduction in the number of “available soon” like expected - “"Available soon" ... has gone from the usual 6-8k premises to nearly 28k.”

Was there a massive reduction in the number of “available soon” like expected - “"Available soon" ... has gone from the usual 6-8k premises to nearly 28k.”

The added premises this week, being the start of a month and the start of a quarter have been a little bit more conservative than usual.

But yes, 10.8k FTTH premises were listed and that means the indexed, but not passed premises are down to 18k. We expect to see more of those premises available soon to be listed live in the upcoming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Are eir still the only ones who can keep a phone watch alarm working? (Not an option to do the GSM addon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are eir still the only ones who can keep a phone watch alarm working? (Not an option to do the GSM addon)

Eir/Eircom have had nothing to do with phonewatch for more than 5yrs. Its Sector.

ED E wrote: »
    Eir/Eircom have had nothing to do with phonewatch for more than 5yrs. Its Sector.

They have an option to keep your analogue phone line for the phone watch alarm at no extra cost

The added premises this week, being the start of a month and the start of a quarter have been a little bit more conservative than usual.

But yes, 10.8k FTTH premises were listed and that means the indexed, but not passed premises are down to 18k. We expect to see more of those premises available soon to be listed live in the upcoming weeks.

18K still big compared to 6 or 8k. Wonder how long more I'll be waiting. Still no sign of work in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi there,

Given that the fibrerollout.ie site appears to be abandoned - can anyone please advise how best to keep up to date for my areas proposed FTTH rollout? It was supposed to be 'Winter 2018' but obviously that has now slipped. The area is Valleymount if that helps.

Thanks in advance

There is no official way now. Keep an eye out for work taking place in your area then when the infrastructure is in place (cable and distribution points on poles) check your Eircode regularly on the various ISP checkers. The Airwire one is probably most up to date.

They have an option to keep your analogue phone line for the phone watch alarm at no extra cost

There's a few providers, that can do analog line + FTTH, but it's a convoluted process, so you have to check with providers that deliver FTTH how the phone line is provided.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you already have a PSTN line then there is no reason why you can't keep it.
    It's only new FTTH connections where there is no PSTN line that won't get a PSTN line. OE will refuse any order that involves copper - makes no sense to install it and a waste of money

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you already have a PSTN line then there is no reason why you can't keep it.
    It's only new FTTH connections where there is no PSTN line that won't get a PSTN line. OE will refuse any order that involves copper - makes no sense to install it and a waste of money

Ok didn't know that so I'll have a few more options than eir for unlimited 1000 with a ptsn line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Ok didn't know that so I'll have a few more options than eir for unlimited 1000 with a ptsn line

You would need to make sure you specify that you want to retain the PSTN line with whoever you go with. A company like Vodafone for example may switch you to VoIP even though there is an active line currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You would need to make sure you specify that you want to retain the PSTN line with whoever you go with. A company like Vodafone for example may switch you to VoIP even though there is an active line currently.

Good point, they are trying to move everyone to VOIP now regardless

Only other problem that may arise in the future is if the copper line has issues and they refuse to fix. So should maybe plan for an update of any equipment relying on it. Maybe a wifi card

• Advertisement

Here's a fun fact:

while the HSE panic buttons don't work over VoIP, the LifeLine panic button does work with the new systems .. no problem.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement