Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yeah - get quite a few of them needing the copper line (whilst the remote itself is wireless!), even most of the alarm systems can be retro fitted with a wifi card or GSM card (unless they are really old/cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ours is old and it would be 600 odd quid to change or something so its be worth going with a provider who can keep the ptsn for now, when the line is damaged then we can look at replacing it

If it's a monitored alarm with someone you could always say you're gonna cancel unless they update the hardware....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ours is old and it would be 600 odd quid to change or something so its be worth going with a provider who can keep the ptsn for now, when the line is damaged then we can look at replacing it

If it's that old, are you sure, it's even still going to do the job anyhow ? By now most of the burglars would know how to circumvent that antiquity.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH this morning.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail
    Looks like I've been bumped from "Available Soon" to the 6th of February, whether or not it'll be up and running by that date remains to be seen.

• Advertisement

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Looks like I've been bumped from "Available Soon" to the 6th of February, whether or not it'll be up and running by that date remains to be seen.

At least it's progress.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

My mother's house misses the rollout by about 300 meters. There is a bunch of 6 houses that will be serviced and it ends after the 6th. We would be next in the road but 300m away.

Are there any options here? Can I contact anyone to see if they will come into us.

If not, my grans house would be the 5th house on the road, could I get it installed there and run my own fibre cable with two switches either end to the other house. I'd have to use the existing poles though.

Or is that crazy talk.

AdrianII wrote: »
    My mother's house misses the rollout by about 300 meters. There is a bunch of 6 houses that will be serviced and it ends after the 6th. We would be next in the road but 300m away.

OpenEIR will not extend the build past the last house. Not even 50m.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are there any options here? Can I contact anyone to see if they will come into us.

If not, my grans house would be the 5th house on the road, could I get it installed there and run my own fibre cable with two switches either end to the other house. I'd have to use the existing poles though.

Or is that crazy talk.

Line of sight?

Yes - P2P wireless link
    No - You're SOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

ED E wrote: »
    Line of sight?

Yes - P2P wireless link
    No - You're SOL.

Yes line of sight. Currently have a nano station doing something similar but didn't think it could transit those high speeds.

• Advertisement

Yes line of sight. Currently have a nano station doing something similar but didn't think it could transit those high speeds.

A nanostation won't. But a proper high gain 5 GHz AC link will do approx 200 Mbit/s at optimum. A 24 GHz 3km link for approx 1500 EUR for the pair (Mimosa) will do 770 Mbit/s / 330 Mbit/s on a 75/25 split on max 3km.

So yes .. that can be done.

/M

If the current setup is ADSL I'd bite anyones hand off for 50/50 FD over the nanos and a half a bill every month. Wouldn't know what hit you.

50 Mbit/s is matter of fact more than plenty for most ... for a good few years. Anything on top of that is bonus.

Anything beyond that is nice ... unless you have a business case to justify for it.

Personally .. I have 1000M/100M .. but not for the download. I need it for the upload. And that also only since I moved house. I had 10M FD for years before that and the only one that bounced that was my other half with some mad downloads of movies.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you already have a PSTN line then there is no reason why you can't keep it.
    It's only new FTTH connections where there is no PSTN line that won't get a PSTN line. OE will refuse any order that involves copper - makes no sense to install it and a waste of money

Not quite... They tend to do quite the opposite I've found. Phone line is generally bundled in and they try to get the phone line installed first then the ftth line on separate days. You can imagine how dissapointed someone can be when theyve used a day of annual leave for something they didn't want and thought you were there for the ftth. The two are mutually exclusive
    They say it's a requirement the phone line goes in then the fibre yet in ftth only areas that's conveniently not a problem to just put ftth only into a new build.

I wish what you say were true but then that would only make too much sense.
    It's a pita building a copper line that will never hold broadband for someone in an area where the copper is all faulty and largely neglected due to ftth DPS around. One could be right outside someone's house and your going to be going pole to pole to get a faulty pair cleared on a 6km stretch for someone who doesn't even want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DarkPassenger

Anyone know if vodafone enforce the terabyte FUP or manage to negotiate it out? We regularly hit 500GB so can see us going over it fairly easily with a 50x speed increase...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Depends on your nano station:
    This handle 150mbps easily (again LOS is v.important)
    https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostation-ac/

Anyone know if vodafone enforce the terabyte FUP or manage to negotiate it out? We regularly hit 500GB so can see us going over it fairly easily with a 50x speed increase...

Sign up with a provider, that doesn't have the limit. That's the only solid option. Plenty of other ones on both SIRO and OpenEIR platforms.

They may not be doing anything about it at this time. But because the limit is there, they can always change their stance on that later on and then you're stuck.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Marlow wrote: »

They may not be doing anything about it at this time. But because the limit is there, they can always change their stance on that later on and then you're stuck.

/M

Although they have never done it yet Vodafones policy is to cancel the contract if someone gets a warning and continues to go over the FUP. So not really stuck, you can move provider :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Might be useful to someone. Just over 500 meters. Clear line of sight.
    469992.jpg

Using a pair of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072NYXRQ5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Zith wrote: »
    Might be useful to someone. Just over 500 meters. Clear line of sight at the in-laws.

Using a pair of these

What's the real world speed through that link? I assume that throughput is the air rate.

• Advertisement

Bookmarked that, could be useful for a lot of people

What's the real world speed through that link? I assume that throughput is the air rate.

That is the air rate yes. Did some testing with the two ends in the same house, air rate there was just over 600mbs. Real transfer was in the 500's but very short link length.

Maximum real world I have seen on it is 200mbs. But that is also the max I have seen on the source line. Would love to test it higher the source should be 300mbs. I think there is a backhaul limitation on their exchange.

Pleasantly surprised that the latency from the ptp hop is only an additional 1ms :)

I should add that the alignment was done by eye. I think it could be improved but it does more than it currently needs to so not worth dragging out a ladder.

Use iPerf to test the link without WAN limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

That is the air rate yes. Did some testing with the two ends in the same house, air rate there was just over 600mbs. Real transfer was in the 500's but very short link length.

Maximum real world I have seen on it is 200mbs. But that is also the max I have seen on the source line. Would love to test it higher the source should be 300mbs. I think there is a backhaul limitation on their exchange.

Pleasantly surprised that the latency from the ptp hop is only an additional 1ms :)

That's still very good!

ED E wrote: »
    Use iPerf to test the link without WAN limits.

Nice, hadn't seen that before. Will give it a try next time I'm in that neighbourhood!

Marlow wrote: »
    But a proper high gain 5 GHz AC link will do approx 200 Mbit/s at optimum.
    Maximum real world I have seen on it is 200mbs.

What I said .. and more than useful to most.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Might be useful to someone. Just over 500 meters. Clear line of sight.
    469992.jpg

Using a pair of these

Nice and neat!

What would these push over a distance of 5KM LOS I wonder?

iPhone. wrote: »
    Nice and neat!

What would these push over a distance of 5KM LOS I wonder?

The top amazon review is claiming 200mb/s over 4.5 KM

Probably get killed in here but why is OE not doing something similar. hey neighbour wanna help out your other neighbours up the road and here's a little discount for you...just for those houses that are a few hundred meters away but may as well be on Mars for BB.
    What would the energy cost be? Probably easily covered with a small discount

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Probably get killed in here but why is OE not doing something similar. hey neighbour wanna help out your other neighbours up the road and here's a little discount for you...just for those houses that are a few hundred meters away but may as well be on Mars for BB.
    What would the energy cost be? Probably easily covered with a small discount

No incentive. They can sell that neighbour 7mb dsl for full whack.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement