Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

cnocbui wrote: »
    Lightning doesn't acknowledge the existence of insulation on a cable. There is so much voltage and current trying to get from the ground up to the cloud that the difference in potential between bare conductor and conductor plus insulation is insignificant. Air is an insulator, which is why you don't a shock from your 230v mains wiring just by being in the house. Lightning can jump an insulating air gap of thousands of metres.

shouldnt that be from cloud to ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

ah well I did say i wasn't an lightning expert now didnt I :D

In fairness that non expert list is getting longer.. :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

MBSnr wrote: »
    Also I forgot to add. The massive amount of current has to go somewhere and it'll take the first path of least resistance to ground/earth. However there are probably multiple similar resistive paths to earth from that one strike point - some via the wire to your house via your modem, some down the pole to ground, some along the wire back to the exchange etc.

A pole (or a tree near a pole) along the road from us got hit and the strike traveled down the phone line and blew our DECT phone base, fried the modem in my PC and Sky box and burnt out the Eircom socket on the wall. The neighbours had no issues, so obviously our house was the path of least resistance and we got hit the most.

I remember reading years ago that the telephone cables across the poles, to keep costs down, had no insulation whatsoever so no wonder the lightening took a path of down the telephone line and into peoples houses!

EDIT: just thinking about it, it might have been ESB cables I read about

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Might be of interest to someone: My son has just configured a TP Link router as our main AP in place of the F2000, which has been connected behind it via ethernet. This is because we need the F2000 for the VOIP phone line. On the F2000, he had to untick the box for VLAN to get the phone to work. The settings needed to get the TP Link to work were enable IPTV/VLAN and then set the VLAN ID to 10.

He noticed our IP had changed and has worked out that EIR is not using a true static IP, just a very consistent dynamic which is computed via a hash of the MAC address of the device connected directly to Eir's network - so you can change your IP address by telling the TP Link to lie about it's MAC address. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Hi sorry looking to be soon fed information but long story short I'm immobile back in my parents house, after an accident; which is on the ftth rollout but we need somewhere that can do ftth with a POTS phone line, want to order in the morning who are the options except Eir? Had a terrible experience with them and would prefer anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Might be of interest to someone: My son has just configured a TP Link router as our main AP in place of the F2000, which has been connected behind it via ethernet. This is because we need the F2000 for the VOIP phone line. On the F2000, he had to untick the box for VLAN to get the phone to work. The settings needed to get the TP Link to work were enable IPTV/VLAN and then set the VLAN ID to 10.

He noticed our IP had changed and has worked out that EIR is not using a true static IP, just a very consistent dynamic which is computed via a hash of the MAC address of the device connected directly to Eir's network - so you can change your IP address by telling the TP Link to lie about it's MAC address. :D

Have you tried both incoming and outgoing phone calls? You may run into issues with double NAT doing it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Marlow wrote: »
    Electric fences are not connected to any premise at all. They're usually ran of a battery or an outdoor socket. But they don't connect 2 premises. Totally different story. No building regulations involved. Can't even be compared to above scenario.

/M

I’ve seen a couple of mains fencers blown over the years due to lightning strikes on the fence. One even caused a small fire in the shed. We always try to disconnect the fence connection from the unit if we can. Definitely not something you’d want in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hi sorry looking to be soon fed information but long story short I'm immobile back in my parents house, after an accident; which is on the ftth rollout but we need somewhere that can do ftth with a POTS phone line, want to order in the morning who are the options except Eir? Had a terrible experience with them and would prefer anyone else

Unless there is already a PSTN line there you are out of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

fritzelly wrote: »
    Unless there is already a PSTN line there you are out of luck

Yes we have one, currently with vodafone for broadband and phone and it works with the house alarm (which cannot be changed and needs the normal phone line)

• Advertisement

Have you tried both incoming and outgoing phone calls? You may run into issues with double NAT doing it that way.

The phone rings when I ring it from a mobile and it rings the mobile, but I'm too stingy to answer and find out beyond that. :)

The phone rings when I ring it from a mobile and it rings the mobile, but I'm too stingy to answer and find out beyond that. :)

Just be aware if you experience issues with one way audio (you hearing the caller but they not hearing you or vice versa) or any other phone issues that the double NAT may be causing it.

Yes we have one, currently with vodafone for broadband and phone and it works with the house alarm (which cannot be changed and needs the normal phone line)

I doubt anyone bar MartinL from Airwire or Paul from Westnet can tell you for sure that you'd get to keep the PSTN. You'll have to call whichever ISP you choose and specify explicitly that you must keep the PSTN.

Then there's no reason why you cannot keep it but as navi said its up to the ISP whether they are willing to support it - OE are wanting to move away from supporting a copper line where FTTH is available and even with FTTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is it possible to get a separate IP address for the F2000 using some form of bridging or such?
    If yes that would overcome the double NAT potential hazard.

When on ADSL I had no problems getting a second IP to register with eir ...... wondering if this is available for such circumstances when using FTTH?

Is it possible to get a separate IP address for the F2000 using some form of bridging or such?

When on ADSL I had no problems getting a second IP to register with eir ...... wondering if this is available for such circumstances when using FTTH?

It is possible but the more people that do it the more likely it gets stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I was just having a browse through this thread last night and I noticed someone said Airwire had updated their database. I just checked on the off-chance and low and behold it say's 'available 06-02 2019' when I enter my eircode.

For those who got the FTTH installed by Airwire, was the dates 'in and around' what was on the Airwire website, or as it being Eir/Kn still installing, could it still be months ?

I'm still in contract for a good 6 months with Eir but I'm very tempted to go with Airwire. The hassle I've had with eir in the past year from them losing my mobile number that I had for years and the VDSL speeds dropping, it's been painful!

OE release the dates about 4-5 weeks in advance of the exchange going live - now there could be issues and it's pushed out but it's a pretty reliable forecast date (barring individual DP issues, blocked ducting, etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

I was just having a browse through this thread last night and I noticed someone said Airwire had updated their database. I just checked on the off-chance and low and behold it say's 'available 06-02 2019' when I enter my eircode.

For those who got the FTTH installed by Airwire, was the dates 'in and around' what was on the Airwire website, or as it being Eir/Kn still installing, could it still be months ?

I'm still in contract for a good 6 months with Eir but I'm very tempted to go with Airwire. The hassle I've had with eir in the past year from them losing my mobile number that I had for years and the VDSL speeds dropping, it's been painful!

Same date here showing for myself since the last database update on Tuesday. I'm definitely not going with Eir after reading so many of the horror stories on here.

I have to say that having chatted to Martin from Airwire on here who was more than happy to answer all of my questions and went out of his way to explain things to me that I am going to be signing up with Airwire.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

There are a couple of options. If you go with an ISP that offers both PSTN and FTTH services, they should be able to give you a bundle with voice services on the PSTN line and broadband on the fibre. Such a bundle only incurs a single line rental fee at the wholesale level, so it's possible to get decent value.

Other ISPs such as ourselves and Airwire don't provide PSTN services, just VoIP. It's still possible to offer "shared line" services, where we provide a reduced-price FTTH service because the line rental stays with the PSTN line. For example, we charge €30 rather than €45 for 150Mb/s FTTH if it's a shared line.

The problem is that it's quite hard to get decent value on the PSTN part of a shared line service. We've found that our customers are often charged €55 for the PSTN line alone, which makes the "split bundle" cost €85 - not good value. Unfortunately we have no control over the PSTN charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is possible but the more people that do it the more likely it gets stopped.

I must look into it, as to date I have not found a means to do that, using the F2000 as the main router and an older router as the secondary one.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

chris_ie wrote: »
    Plenty sell that length and more, just should be cut to max 100m lengths after you buy it ;)

I think you mean plenty sell cat5 cable longer but I don't think anyone sells a premade ethernet cable. I know I couldn't find any years ago when I was looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

babi-hrse wrote: »
    I think you mean plenty sell cat5 cable longer but I don't think anyone sells a premade ethernet cable. I know I couldn't find any years ago when I was looking.

Multi Cable 75m CAT6 Outdoor waterproof Direct Burial Ethernet Network Cable - UTP - CCA - 250 Mhz - Black 75 meter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EOTHEL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FjgoCbKT04RAB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

babi-hrse wrote: »

Ah well you didnt mention pre-terminated ;) This all reminds me I still have to run a few cables round the house :(

fritzelly wrote: »
    OE release the dates about 4-5 weeks in advance of the exchange going live - now there could be issues and it's pushed out but it's a pretty reliable forecast date (barring individual DP issues, blocked ducting, etc etc)

Thanks for the information.

I'm not really familiar with the ducting side of things. I've read about it here in the thread but I'm still not sure how it works. I'd say the cable will run from the pole next door to the pole across the road from me and then from that pole across to my house. That's how the current VDSL set up is. Currently the wire is going through a lot of trees, they will probably want me to get a section of the trees cut out. The current local eir guys are really nice, the wire was damaged in a storm and they cut some of the trees with a chain saw and put a new wire in for me but I highly doubt KN would do that for me.

I was driving about 3 miles from home yesterday and I saw lots and lots of KN vans. I drove past this morning and they have tons of the black boxes up since yesterday, they milled them out of it. There are clusters of those boxes, even on poles 20-30 feet apart, the poles are littered with them, great to see.
    The thing that worries me is, my road on the rural line is about 2.5 miles long and only one spool of wire where the black box will go beside the next door neighbours. Like how and where is that going to get it's 'power/internet/fibre' from ?

Exciting times ahead. Before I moved from Dublin I was on 220mbs with upc, then 4mbs when I moved and when I got the wire fixed 9mbs, now 8mbs as line is deteriorating over time. Really hope it goes live on time!

I presume from your description that your phone line runs to the side wall of the house. The fibre can and is likely to do the same. I have a pole on my property the phone and fibre lines run to aerially. I put in ducting from the base of the pole to the house, through which the fibre cable passes and then into the house.

I presume from your description that your phone line runs to the side wall of the house. The fibre can and is likely to do the same. I have a pole on my property the phone and fibre lines run to aerially. I put in ducting from the base of the pole to the house, through which the fibre cable passes and then into the house.

You're absolutely right, it comes from a pole outside to the side of the actual house and is like stapled/nailed to the house. The thing is I have like and 'office/separate building' attached to my house and there is a phone line in there and also in the main house.

Do I need to worry about ducting or will Eir/Kn just install the fibre ? My sitting room is next to the side wall where the cable comes from the pole across the road and while it wouldn't be ideal to have the modem/router in the sitting room I'd go with that. Right now the eir modem is in the kitchen/dining area and it's handy there, I have the phones and a main pc attached.
    The main big problem I will have if the modem has to be in the sitting room is, it definitely won't reach the rest of the house signal wise. Right now, the modem in the kitchen won't even reach, I had to purchase a separate router and even at that it barely can reach the end of the house, so if I had to get the new modem in the sitting room it will be a head ache and I'll have to probably buy extra things to make it reach to the rest of the house.

Thanks for the reply

My understanding is that KN will take the shortest cable route to the house, so sounds like it will be to your sitting room to the wall of the house as with the current phone line, so you wouldn't need ducting.

A problem is the unsightly pigs-breakfest that is a fibre install, requiring two boxes, a modem and two wall wart power supplies and their interconnecting cables.

The second of the two boxes has an ethernet port that connects to the router, so if you can run an ethernet cable from the box to a more central location in the house, you can put the modem there. Eir supply a worthless piece of junk in the F2000 router. Dreadfully inadequate WiFi range and needs rebooting every two days or so. Airwire provides a decent Fritzbox router with good range, by all accounts.

I was fortunate in managing to get an install in my loft that terminates in the middle of the house. The F2000 has been replaced with a TP Link router and a 2.4 Ghz WiFi signal now reaches the whole house. A faster 5 Ghz channel reaches 75% of the house. I have a large bungalow and The TP-link was at one point located at end of the house and I could still get a usable connection to it from the other end - about 20m - so you can get routers that will cover a whole house.

I would install a cabinet in the sitting room attached to the wall and ask that the mess be installed inside that. Perhaps Babi-hrse could chime-in and say whether they would likely oblige?

My understanding is that KN will take the shortest cable route to the house, so sounds like it will be to your sitting room to the wall of the house as with the current phone line, so you wouldn't need ducting.

A problem is the unsightly pigs-breakfest that is a fibre install, requiring two boxes, a modem and two wall wart power supplies and their interconnecting cables.

The second of the two boxes has an ethernet port that connects to the router, so if you can run an ethernet cable from the box to a more central location in the house, you can put the modem there. Eir supply a worthless piece of junk in the F2000 router. Dreadfully inadequate WiFi range and needs rebooting every two days or so. Airwire provides a decent Fritzbox router with good range, by all accounts.

I was fortunate in managing to get an install in my loft that terminates in the middle of the house. The F2000 has been replaced with a TP Link router and a 2.4 Ghz WiFi signal now reaches the whole house. A faster 5 Ghz channel reaches 75% of the house. I have a large bungalow and The TP-link was at one point located at end of the house and I could still get a usable connection to it from the other end - about 20m - so you can get routers that will cover a whole house.

I would install a cabinet in the sitting room attached to the wall and ask that the mess be installed inside that. Perhaps Babi-hrse could chime-in and say whether they would likely oblige?

Thanks very much, that's very helpful and great information. I never knew there was so much involved. I'm in a large long bungalow too but my sitting room is fairly small so where they put the boxes is going to be very interesting indeed.

I will probably have to go down the route of running and ethernet cable to somewhere more central as you said.

I'll cross all those bridges when I come to them. Fist things is to get the fibre installed. I didn't think it was going to happen for awhile and they seemed to by-pass my road so I'm just really glad we are going to get it.

Thanks very much for all the information, at least now I know what I'm in store for!

• Advertisement

Fibre-in-loft-2.jpg

This is what's involved, ignoring the white router perched on the beam and the phone base station sitting next to it. I think it would be better to try and keep the copper phone line and resist efforts to shift the phone to VOIP via a router. I should have kept mine and said I have a monitored alarm or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement