Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

I was just having a browse through this thread last night and I noticed someone said Airwire had updated their database. I just checked on the off-chance and low and behold it say's 'available 06-02 2019' when I enter my eircode.

For those who got the FTTH installed by Airwire, was the dates 'in and around' what was on the Airwire website, or as it being Eir/Kn still installing, could it still be months ?

I'm still in contract for a good 6 months with Eir but I'm very tempted to go with Airwire. The hassle I've had with eir in the past year from them losing my mobile number that I had for years and the VDSL speeds dropping, it's been painful!

The date that our product check states is the "Ready-for-Order" date, that OpenEIR provides us with.

Generally, your premise should be able to avail of FTTH from that date.

Sometimes, the date gets pushed on or we can't even order past that date. This is when there are build issues or other problems within OpenEIR.

In our experience, the majority of premises get connected within a week or two from that date. The ones that have build problems can take an additional 1-3 months. In extreme cases, but very rare, longer.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cnocbui wrote: »
    This is what's involved, ignoring the white router perched on the beam and the phone base station sitting next to it. I think it would be better to try and keep the copper phone line and resist efforts to shift the phone to VOIP via a router. I should have kept mine and said I have a monitored alarm or something.

The newer setup looks like this:

45042802534_cdf472e50b_z.jpg

The cradle for the ONT is the ODP, so you don't have a lot of stuff bolted to the wall.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8 davypg

Marlow wrote: »
    This is what's involved, ignoring the white router perched on the beam and the phone base station sitting next to it. I think it would be better to try and keep the copper phone line and resist efforts to shift the phone to VOIP via a router. I should have kept mine and said I have a monitored alarm or something.

The cradle for the ONT is the ODP, so you don't have a lot of stuff bolted to the wall.

/M

The ONT and fibre NTU are now back to two single units.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

/M

None of those newer cradles left in stock as someone posted a few weeks ago they're rarer than unicorn poo expect a dual box setup unless you get lucky havn't had those for near 2 months

My understanding is that KN will take the shortest cable route to the house, so sounds like it will be to your sitting room to the wall of the house as with the current phone line, so you wouldn't need ducting.

A problem is the unsightly pigs-breakfest that is a fibre install, requiring two boxes, a modem and two wall wart power supplies and their interconnecting cables.

The second of the two boxes has an ethernet port that connects to the router, so if you can run an ethernet cable from the box to a more central location in the house, you can put the modem there. Eir supply a worthless piece of junk in the F2000 router. Dreadfully inadequate WiFi range and needs rebooting every two days or so. Airwire provides a decent Fritzbox router with good range, by all accounts.

I was fortunate in managing to get an install in my loft that terminates in the middle of the house. The F2000 has been replaced with a TP Link router and a 2.4 Ghz WiFi signal now reaches the whole house. A faster 5 Ghz channel reaches 75% of the house. I have a large bungalow and The TP-link was at one point located at end of the house and I could still get a usable connection to it from the other end - about 20m - so you can get routers that will cover a whole house.

I would install a cabinet in the sitting room attached to the wall and ask that the mess be installed inside that. Perhaps Babi-hrse could chime-in and say whether they would likely oblige?

It's likely they're gonna go for a sitting room install. You can ask them to bring it across the external wall along the drip rail or soffit and fascia around to another side of the house within reason. Kitchens are almost always a no go due to tiled walls. The ont and fibre port will be fixed to wall where the cable comes through. If you have conduit laid through to another location that easy to push through or a drawstring they'll usually oblige to bring it right into the house. As another poster mentioned it can be made off in sitting room in a wall mounted cabinet with power then cat 5 cabled out to another room. A large house with a comms room would have rj45 ports usually I'd install ont in a discreet location behind TV then plug into a patch point and plug modem in Comms room at corresponding port. This is obviously not everyones setup but I'm just explaining that the modem doesn't always have to be where the ont is if you have a house wired for cat5 or have a good friend who's an electrician

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

babi-hrse wrote: »
    None of those newer cradles left in stock as someone posted a few weeks ago they're rarer than unicorn poo expect a dual box setup unless you get lucky havn't had those for near 2 months

They probably cost OpenEIR 1 quid more and hence they abandoned it after the last budget meet :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks very much, that's very helpful and great information. I never knew there was so much involved. I'm in a large long bungalow too but my sitting room is fairly small so where they put the boxes is going to be very interesting indeed.

I will probably have to go down the route of running and ethernet cable to somewhere more central as you said.

I'll cross all those bridges when I come to them. Fist things is to get the fibre installed. I didn't think it was going to happen for awhile and they seemed to by-pass my road so I'm just really glad we are going to get it.

Thanks very much for all the information, at least now I know what I'm in store for!

You could prepare for the install by placing flexible ducting/large pipe in the roof space for them to bring the wire through, and down through the ceiling in your location of choice.
    Poke the pipe out through the gable the fibre will be attached to.
    You should have a pull-rope in the pipe/ducting in case it is required.
    Have no joints in it so that it is easy to do.

Prepare the location so you have at least two power sockets available and space for the gear to be screwed to the wall and the placement of the router.
    (I used an extension lead temporarily for the initial set up and test by the installers. Have since made different arrangements.)

Preparation is the key ..... if the installers see that you have thought it through and made an effort they will usually do their best to comply with your wishes.

Oh yes ...... I have had no problems with the F2000 router. I have not had to reboot it due to a problem and all visitors have had no difficulty using the wifi service on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.
    It covers the house adequately from a central location.

They probably cost OpenEIR 1 quid more and hence they abandoned it after the last budget meet :)

/M

Jokes aside that could have been the reason.
    The new french owners arent exactly the breath of fresh air everyone was hoping for they watch their money a lot more closely.

Getting rid of the call centers could have been a budget issue too playing hardball with HCL to negotiate.
    Every time it gets sold or taken over more of the family sliver disappears including letters of the name telecom eireann eircom eir in a couple of years it'll just be e

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

From what I heard HCL were making nothing out of it. Not sure if it was more a marketing exercise from them for future business saying we have all these companies using us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

What's the best way to go about ordering FTTH?

I know the provider I'm intending to go with, but i want to make sure it's a seamless transfer from my current ADSL2 provider to my new FTTH provider without any interruption to my Internet service and without duplicating payment to two providers?

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    From what I heard HCL were making nothing out of it. Not sure if it was more a marketing exercise from them for future business saying we have all these companies using us...

That's basically treating your staff like crap.
    Subjecting them to abuse from customers for little monetary benefit to anyone.
    I feel for call center staff. I'd rather be in front of the customer explaining what the issue is and what they have to do to resolve it than be a person on the end of a phone with no background knowledge of the customers situation taking flack through a phone and no idea what the issue is just offering platitudes and taking notes which could potentially have dire outcomes for the customer.

iPhone. wrote: »
    What's the best way to go about ordering FTTH?

I know the provider I'm intending to go with, but i want to make sure it's a seamless transfer from my current ADSL2 provider to my new FTTH provider without any interruption to my Internet service and without duplicating payment to two providers?

Best advice is check if any neighbours have it installed then you should be good to go barring any on property issues.
    Even so the transfer won't happen until the service can be transferred - generally the BB part is transferred first then the phone is transferred (for obvious reasons)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Best advice is check if any neighbours have it installed then you should be good to go barring any on property issues.
    Even so the transfer won't happen until the service can be transferred - generally the BB part is transferred first then the phone is transferred (for obvious reasons)

What happens if his current ISP is different from the ISP he chooses for FTTH? Is the transfer seamless or is it the customer's responsibility to cancel the old service?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

@MartinL

Just checked my eircode and it is saying that FTTH is available from 06.02 but, today third party company pull fiber on poles. No splicing boxes etc.
    How likely FTTH will be available from that date?

domeld wrote: »
    @MartinL

Just checked my eircode and it is saying that FTTH is available from 06.02 but, today third party company pull fiber on poles. No splicing boxes etc.

Highly unlikely.

What happens if his current ISP is different from the ISP he chooses for FTTH? Is the transfer seamless or is it the customer's responsibility to cancel the old service?

If its within the OE network then the transfer is seamless and the account should be closed, exception is the likes Virgin etc which OE have no control over bar the requesting the number IIRC

domeld wrote: »
    @MartinL

Unlikely but stranger things have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

/M

I know I have said it before but well I still like the likes of BT Openreach HUAWEI HG8240 if it worked on the Irish FTTH system (something about the OLT not recognising it) - I know its only 802.11n wireless but sure it would do for 150mbps service grand. Nice and compact and keep everything neat, cut down on cables and adaptors.

I dont mean to cause any rows or need another lecture or expect others to all agree with me .. I am just re-iterating what kind of setup I personally would like for myself.

long-ass link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I know I have said it before but well I still like the likes of BT Openreach HUAWEI HG8240 if it worked on the Irish FTTH system (something about the OLT not recognising it) - I know its only 802.11n wireless but sure it would do for 150mbps service grand. Nice and compact and keep everything neat, cut down on cables and adaptors.

I dont mean to cause any rows or need another lecture or expect others to all agree with me .. I am just re-iterating what kind of setup I personally would like for myself.

https://tinyurl.com/y8g2pjp2

Dude, you’re borderline trolling at this point, you have an entire thread set up for that type of discussion.

Nooooo......
    And what the hell is that link for?

• Advertisement

Dude, you’re borderline trolling at this point, you have an entire thread set up for that type of discussion.

not trolling - discussing - how comes others can discuss FTTH setups and pictures of ONT's and modems and I am not allowed to discuss it? - one rule for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

not trolling - discussing - how comes others can discuss FTTH setups and pictures of ONT's and modems and I am not allowed to discuss it? - one rule for one?

Perhaps because you keep belabouring the same point that has been definitively answered for you by better folk than me and seem to want to keep going on about it, ignoring the informative responses until you get the answer you want.

Nooooo......
    And what the hell is that link for?

i dunno what went wrong with that link :D

Because most people spend a coupla posts to discuss something and done, you spent multiple pages discussing something and then again you bring it up even tho you have been told the why and wherefore not. So bringing it up again is considered trolling/thread derailing

Perhaps because you keep belabouring the same point that has been definitively answered for you by better folk than me and seem to want to keep going on about it, ignoring the informative responses until you get the answer you want.

not really , its just when i see a picture of the setup it keeps making me think how much better I like the all in one solution. I knew everyone werent going to agree with me because it seems to upset people for some reason. That dont mean (and because I have brought it up before) that I shouldnt be allowed to discuss about it should it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/BT-Openreach-Huawei-Hg8240-EchoLife-Fibre-Broadband-Modem-Router/10018207690?iid=222930433858&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140328180637%26meid%3Dc600b98204074804bd8318abee962225%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D202559773661%26itm%3D222930433858&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

You'll get your wish this year, this solution is on the way. Have said it before that I also agree with you that it is a much nicer solution for 95% of people, but also agree with others, you have your own thread set up for this exact topic and should keep the discussion to there.

Because most people spend a coupla posts to discuss something and done, you spent multiple pages discussing something and then again you bring it up even tho you have been told the why and wherefore not. So bringing it up again is considered trolling/thread derailing

ah no, its only discussing and airing my views. I have seen people trolling on the internet and newsgroups and I am no way like that. - I appreciate people have explained it all to my and why it cannot be used honest - but you know sometimes when people have made their minds up about something they shouldnt have to change their views - i still believe its the best way - others on here dont , and I have taken onboard all the helpful answers from other members on here , more experienced than I am that it will not work on the Irish network and not register on the OLT .

so to recap, I have taken all the helpful knowlegable answers and acknowleged them , I am not going to do it or try it .... but I still think its a good Idea, better than the Irish seperate units ... but anyway at this time I would just even like FTTH .. even if it meant 10 boxes in the installation, 15 meters of messy cabling and 10 ac adaptors at the moment :D

I have heard rumours that an all-in-one device such as Andy links to is being considered by open eir. I don't have any specifics of how it would work for switching ISP.

Also rumours that FTTDp G.Fast is being considered probably for after the rural rollout is finished.

digiman wrote: »
    You'll get your wish this year, this solution is on the way.

Source?

• Advertisement

Also rumours that FTTDp G.Fast is being considered probably for after the rural rollout is finished.

If you can throw an 18 stone man at the cabinet - seems totally pointless exercise in marketing when it would probably be cheaper and more future proofed to just go full on fibre for urban areas. Who are they kidding, even if you think you are 100m or so from the cab the way the cable is ran in many areas that could end up being 200m of copper

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement