Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

90EU a month - Bloody hell what planet they on? - whats that for 1GB package?

Yes 1000, same price as Eir (89.60 or something on the 13th month)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

€97 a month for 12 months?

That's €1164 for a year

tuxy wrote: »
    €97 a month for 12 months?

That's €1164 for a year

25 a month for 6 months and 90 thereafter plus 6.99 per month because of our fecking alarm

99 installation fee

Year 1 is 872 vs 909 with eir. Month 13 on eir would be cheaper by 7 a month

Can always swap after 12 months to a lower package or different provider

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

brother who lives in UK pays £35 per month 50mbps internet, calls included (local and national not international) and TV and internet radio allowance of free tea and coffee per month on tap ... (OK the last but not true about the tea and coffee :) )

and i know we dont have the population here in Ireland and all the amount of competition the UK and the amount of ISP's fighting for customers but bloody hell it opens your eyes (stings your eyes) what some of these packages cost in Ireland per month especially for a FTTH package!

EDIT: I shall have to ask him how much he could get 150mbps FTTH (well FTTP fibre to the premises they call it there) from his ISP some time, do a comparison

brother who lives in UK pays £35 per month 50mbps internet, calls included (local and national not international) and TV and internet radio allowance of free tea and coffee per month on tap ... (OK the last but not true about the tea and coffee :) )

and i know we dont have the population here in Ireland and all the amount of competition the UK and the amount of ISP's fighting for customers but bloody hell it opens your eyes (stings your eyes) what some of these packages cost in Ireland per month especially for a FTTH package!

You can get 300mbit for 41 euro per month with calls from Eir.

I'm talking about 1000mbit, its always going to have a premium

• Advertisement

You can get 300mbit for 41 euro per month with calls from Eir.

I'm talking about 1000mbit, its always going to have a premium

whats that full duration is it? - doesnt include TV

So 12 month contract not 18?

How long do you think it would take to go over vodafones FUP at that speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

whats that full duration is it? - doesnt include TV

That's a 12 month contract (eir 300mb, €41)

Any idea of how long it takes to get openeir out for the install (1st visit) after ordering?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Blame the three provinces. If it were just Leinster we'd be cheaper than the UK. Its very little to do with market size and very much to do with density.

rabwaygal wrote: »
    That's a 12 month contract (eir 300mb, €41)

Any idea of how long it takes to get openeir out for the install (1st visit) after ordering?

In my case it was one week.
    But there were a few problems so it ended up taking 2 months.
    My distribution point was faulty so most people won't have this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Carol25

25 a month for 6 months and 90 thereafter plus 6.99 per month because of our fecking alarm

99 installation fee

Year 1 is 872 vs 909 with eir. Month 13 on eir would be cheaper by 7 a month

Can always swap after 12 months to a lower package or different provider

I signed up to one of the eir ftth, phone and tv packages 18 months ago.
    It worked out very good value up until this month.
    The discounts were only for 18months but the contract was 24months and there isnt anything to downgrade to!
    So it is worth calculating out the cost of the entire contract.

Carol25 wrote: »
    I signed up to one of the eir ftth, phone and tv packages 18 months ago.
    It worked out very good value up until this month.
    The discounts were only for 18months but the contract was 24months and there isnt anything to downgrade to!
    So it is worth calculating out the cost of the entire contract.

It looks like it's a 18 month contract at the moment for Gigabit broadband with Vodafone

frozenfrozen did they offer you a special offer of 12 months contract?

It looks like it's a 18 month contract at the moment for Gigabit broadband with Vodafone

frozenfrozen did they offer you a special offer of 12 months contract?

Didnt know it was 18 months, but 12 + 5 months puts it at parity with eir then 1 month of being 7 quid more expensive (because of my alarm)

Wasnt aware they had a FUP that would ruin the plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Didnt know it was 18 months, but 12 + 5 months puts it at parity with eir then 1 month of being 7 quid more expensive (because of my alarm)

Wasnt aware they had a FUP that would ruin the plan

Why do you need a static IP in order to keep PSTN? Did they give any explanation for that?

Why do you need a static IP in order to keep PSTN? Did they give any explanation for that?
    that's just what the guy on the phone said, to keep your phone line you need to get that option. It was a really unenthusiastic nordie on the phone so I just said ok and believed him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

More so what has a static IP got to do with a PSTN line...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

digiman wrote: »
    Is it any different for switching providers than VDSL?

Completely different.

Switching VDSL providers is a modem swap. Every VDSL router plugs into the wall socket, just as (currently) every FTTH router plugs into the ONT.

If you order FTTH from a provider who offers a combined ONT/router, then open eir will install "wires only", just bringing fibre into the premises. If you then want to switch to a provider who doesn't offer a combined ONT/router, then it will require a call-out from open eir to install an ONT.

Demarcation is also an issue. Currently, the ONT is open eir's problem. If the ONT is combined into the router, whose problem is it? Will we end up with a situation where some ONTs are open eir's responsibility and some are the ISP's?

There are a lot of thorny regulatory questions to be answered, and it's not clear that there even are answers to those questions.

As has been said, the idea behind this is to "reduce churn". That's a polite way of saying "make it too much hassle to switch providers". If hurting competition is a price someone is willing to pay for a slightly tidier installation, I'd politely suggest that their priorities are skewed.

that's just what the guy on the phone said, to keep your phone line you need to get that option. It was a really unenthusiastic nordie on the phone so I just said ok and believed him

I'd definitely seek clarification on that as it sounds ridiculous unless the are looking for a way to get an extra €7 out of you per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Were already seeing orders where people change providers on ftth comes out as a full install you have to change the port and install a new ont which seems really silly. Surely the person should be left on the same port as that's their port and the ISP should be able to ask for changes on ont installed in premises I thought that was the whole point of eircode being tied to the fibre line. Unless I've got this completely wrong.

So you have to remove a perfectly good ONT and intall the exact same model only with a different serial number just to enable a customer to change ISP? Madness

I guess could be how open eir justifies the proposed prices for moving provider.

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Were already seeing orders where people change providers on ftth comes out as a full install you have to change the port and install a new ont which seems really silly. Surely the person should be left on the same port as that's their port and the ISP should be able to ask for changes on ont installed in premises I thought that was the whole point of eircode being tied to the fibre line. Unless I've got this completely wrong.

That was happening in the beginning but I thought it had been rectified over the past few months. People here have switched with no ONT replacement needed.

I would say thats more a provisioning error, with UG not picking up there is already hardware in place.

So you have to remove a perfectly good ONT and intall the exact same model only with a different serial number just to enable a customer to change ISP? Madness

I guess could be how open eir justifies the proposed prices for moving provider.

Yep seems completely wasteful once a fibre line goes in that should be the end of it. It should be only up to oe and the providers after that.

fritzelly wrote: »
    I would say thats more a provisioning error, with UG not picking up there is already hardware in place.

Ah there's always a case of someone taking service out and then their wife taking out service two orders for the same address that's partially why the copper network is such a shambles.
    With ftth I was sure it was one eircode one fibre line the line follows the address not the customer?
    Maybe it does and these are just strange cases I've come across.

Every port is assigned to an eircode, can be changed but not easy and assuming there is a free port. Even the ports allocated that have not had FTTH taken up yet are assigned for 2 years before they can be released.
    There are some premises that were added to the FTTH rollout prequalling for fibre but no ports available and so they have to wait for one to become free after that time even if the allocation is never taken up.

Every port is assigned to an eircode, can be changed but not easy and assuming there is a free port. Even the ports allocated that have not had FTTH taken up yet are assigned for 2 years before they can be released.
    There are some premises that were added to the FTTH rollout prequalling for fibre but no ports available and so they have to wait for one to become free after that time even if the allocation is never taken up.

Yes sometimes it's not possible to connect someone to the port assigned to them we then fail it off for a d-merge requesting for port to be changed to another dp that is just a request usually they will create a new order for the customer with new dp but it's entirely at their discretion.

This is how I think it should work (but what do i know)

OE (or KN or whoever it is ) come out. Run fibre from DP on pole (or DP in UG chamber) through the duct running to premises/home - drills through wall , installs Fibre into internal ODP box checks there is light and leaves an optical fly lead (with a cap on it to avoid dirt) - then bye bye from OE (or KN) thats it they have done their job.

Customers ISP depending who they have gone with, posts out either a combined ONT/wireless unit and customer takes protective cap off the optical lead left by OE (or KN) or ISP provides a new optical lead with the combined box

Or if the ISP chooses seperate ONT and seperate Router (like fritz box) posts them out to the customer, gets them to hook up the ONT to the ODP by lead supplied (or in packaging of ONT) and then attach wireless router (or Fritz box whatever) by ethernet to the ONT

In the packaging of the ONT (or combined ONT/Wireless unit) a step by step idiot guide of how to connect everything up that a chimpanzee would be able to understand.

All should be straightforward but if you come across any problems you can call our (ISP) customer technical department on lo-call 0181 ........ and we will talk you through installation problems".

and the parameters of the combined ONT Wireless router (or seperate router) all pre set up by ISP so all the customer has to do is literally plug n play (plug the fibre patch lead into the ODP on the wall) and away they go.

Do we really need to go thru the whole approved hardware stuff again!

Do we really need to go thru the whole approved hardware stuff again!

not if you dont want to

noticed I did say if the ISP used seperate ONT and Fritz box in their setup ... because I get it, a lot of people do not think the combined ONT wireless router is a good idea - and that (at the moment) it wont register on the OLT or that they are N wireless routers (the majoritory of them) and that the combined ones have not been tested/passed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

What diameter ducting is needed for a fibre cable? I'm going to need to run some internal ducting in a loft.

EDIT I see eir recommend 32mm internal diameter minimum.

My current copper cable enters through the gable wall and then just runs along the floor of the loft until it exits through the ceiling into the room where the phone\adsl socket is located.

Would the copper cable be removed and the fibre cable follow this same route or would it now require ducting in the loft?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement