Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Installed today the DP. Defusion and KN vans everywhere here today since 8am

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Martin do you have any info on when work in Bweeng, Co.Cork should start?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

irishfeen wrote: »
    Martin do you have any info on when work in Bweeng, Co.Cork should start?

The only specific info we get for each area is what is in those database files. So until the dates start to appear, there is very little known to any of the operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

FTTH going live in Nenagh are on the 9th May - I have managed to pre order, lets see how many visits it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

irelandjoe wrote: »
    FTTH going live in Nenagh are on the 9th May - I have managed to pre order, lets see how many visits it takes.

It’s apparently going live here in Borrisoleigh too that day but the eir website is saying not available. Also on the Thurles road just outside Nenagh a number of DP are not installed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I'm paying Eir for 300Mbps fibre broadband. I,m GETTING 150Mbps. Eir support don,t want to know.
    Question: if I downgrade to 150 Mbps will I get approx 150 or will it be 70Mbps?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eh gringo!

Hi garroff
    I opted for the 150Mbps package when signing up and on a hardwired PC with the NIC set to 1Gbps Full Duplex I get 139Mbps down and 27Mps up 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi Garroff,

I connected to EIR approx 1 year ago and also opted for the 150mbps package. I have the F2000 modem in the attic with 2 TPLink AC1200 Access Points connected, one at either end of the house. Standing under the AP's and recording using a Samsung S8 I can get in excess of 140mbps down, 27mbps up and a 7ms Ping. I have rarely had an issue with speed and continuously get in excess of 140mbps. I have 2 teenagers both using Netflix HD, tablets etc. Also one is a gamer with a PS4, we have Sky Q in the livingroom with UHD and I'm running 2 Nest cameras.

D.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103126093&postcount=4461

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

garroff wrote: »
    I'm paying Eir for 300Mbps fibre broadband. I,m GETTING 150Mbps. Eir support don,t want to know.
    Question: if I downgrade to 150 Mbps will I get approx 150 or will it be 70Mbps?

Is this on a pc connected by a suitable cable?
    Need to contact tech support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

fritzelly wrote: »
    Is this on a pc connected by a suitable cable?
    Need to contact tech support

Did contact tech support.
    " Are the 3 lights at interface working.
    Me:..yes
    TC:....if you have light you have fibre...your problem".

I am not making this up. For this I will be paying €96.

Sounds like you got someone who couldn't be arsed. Try again with tech support - though most people don't even really need 300mb, 150 is enough for the majority. And you should get very close to your package speed nearly all the time
    Do you get over 150 or is it always 150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Have you confirmed that your laptop is actually capable of 300Mb speeds? You could test with another gigabit capable machine over the LAN using iperf or LAN Speed test. You are really the only person regularly complaining about speeds so the likelihood is your own equipment is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you get over 150 or is it always 150

If the answer to Fitz's Q is Yes, then we can be pretty sure whats happening here.

xDSL: Wrong port = Shows down on monkeys screen
    GPON: Wrong virtual port/ONT Config = Still live on monkeys screen.

If your ONT/ the OLT are misconfigured they should be able to reprovision it while speaking to you, just need to get lucky with the lotto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    If the answer to Fitz's Q is Yes, then we can be pretty sure whats happening here.

xDSL: Wrong port = Shows down on monkeys screen
    GPON: Wrong virtual port/ONT Config = Still live on monkeys screen.

If your ONT/ the OLT are misconfigured they should be able to reprovision it while speaking to you, just need to get lucky with the lotto.

It's not that. He/she has posted previously about getting over 200Mb.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106653664

From what I can see, there is a non standard router, a laptop of unknown capability, unknown quality of cabling and garroff has chosen to blame the ISP without doing much diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's not that. He/she has posted previously about getting over 200Mb.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106653664

From what I can see, there is a non standard router, a laptop of unknown capability, unknown quality of cabling and garroff has chosen to blame the ISP without doing much diagnosis.

Ahh, take that allll back so.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

They are doing ducting work on my road, good to see some movement

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

My grandparents had FTTH installed lately, they had requested to keep their existing phone number and just have it transferred to the new account. The phone is still plugged into the old copper cabling though. It#s working but I thought the phone would now be VOIP through the new fibre2000 router? I just don't want their phone to stop working one day and be told they can't have it with the FTTH. Am I worrying about nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

My grandparents had FTTH installed lately, they had requested to keep their existing phone number and just have it transferred to the new account. The phone is still plugged into the old copper cabling though. It#s working but I thought the phone would now be VOIP through the new fibre2000 router? I just don't want their phone to stop working one day and be told they can't have it with the FTTH. Am I worrying about nothing?

Nope.

With Eir retail you have that choice (of keeping the copper line for phone, while having FTTH). However, if they ever migrate the service off to another provider, they need to make sure, that both get migrated at the same time.

It won't just stop working. The configuration they have is a feature, not a mistake.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bigoldhouse

Replaced poles in Anamoe, Laragh and Glendalough 2 weeks ago. Fibre was hung from the poles on Tuesday and Wednesday. There's coils hanging from the poles, but no boxes yet. What sort of timelines am I looking at until being able to order and have installed. Is it fairly imminent or are we still months away. KM staff not very friendly or helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

Marlow wrote: »
    Nope.

With Eir retail you have that choice (of keeping the copper line for phone, while having FTTH). However, if they ever migrate the service off to another provider, they need to make sure, that both get migrated at the same time.

It won't just stop working. The configuration they have is a feature, not a mistake.

/M

Thanks very much, put my mind at ease. Useful to know in future when moving to another provider.

Eir to charge 99 euro install charge from May 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Eir to charge 99 euro install charge from May 1st

**** me, moved to eir in march to move over to FTTH when its available later in the year, would have gone somewhere else and paid €199 to anyone else if I had known eir were going to charge €99.

I guess the upside is ill probably have saved the €100 in the mean time

That was bound to be happening. Questionable how long they can sustain the losses.

While Eir retail and OpenEIR are the same business, they still get charged 270+vat internally for every install.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Anyone know how long it takes to get a pole installed? Eir/KN called and said we'd need a pole (which we told them from the start). They told us where they'd put the pole and so we extended ducting to that spot for their convenience. It's been 4 weeks and still no pole and thus no Fibre.

Is it too late to cancel and try another provider who might be able to get the pole done quicker.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a pole installed? Eir/KN called and said we'd need a pole (which we told them from the start). They told us where they'd put the pole and so we extended ducting to that spot for their convenience. It's been 4 weeks and still no pole and thus no Fibre.

Is it too late to cancel and try another provider who might be able to get the pole done quicker.

Pole on your land or pole on public land ?

/M

Usually within a few weeks unless a licence is needed for installation in which case anyones guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Marlow wrote: »
    Pole on your land or pole on public land ?

/M

Pole location is on the private land of the house, about 2 metres from public road boundary.

I've attached an image. NP is the site of the new pole. There's two fibre polls nearby already, 1 across the road, and 1 on the opposite side of the neighbours. Orange line is duct in situ, it's got two manhole access points at intervals on it's length. The duct terminates in a floor panel in utility room, marked blue.

My parent's ordered FTTH at roughly the same time as we did. There's is already in 3 weeks. Eir cut a slice out of the road and layed a duct from the pole across the road, and then straight into my parents house. Admittedly their road is a much quieter road.

Pole location is on the private land of the house, about 2 metres from public road boundary.

I've attached an image. NP is the site of the new pole. There's two fibre polls nearby already, 1 across the road, and 1 on the opposite side of the neighbours. Orange line is duct in situ, it's got two manhole access points at intervals on it's length. The duct terminates in a floor panel in utility room, marked blue.

My parent's ordered FTTH at roughly the same time as we did. There's is already in 3 weeks. Eir cut a slice out of the road and layed a duct from the pole across the road, and then straight into my parents house. Admittedly their road is a much quieter road.

"Maybe" needs traffic management

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Will they always use existing ducting to enter the house? My current line comes in through ducting under the front garden. But all the other houses on my road are from pole to house.

I'd really rather keep it that way rather than having a line to the attic.

Still a month or til it's available but I'm planning ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement