Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Maybe because they believe they are right and are prepared to go to court to prove it?

No .. it's not.

It's because their customers have to go to court to even be heard. It's impossible to get through to customer care, let alone get a billing issue solved.

Personally .. somebody had given my mobile number as a contact for an account in Eir. I started getting monthly phone calls from Eirs collection agency, who would refuse to identify themselves. The account had nothing to do with me. It even belonged in a complete different county.

I figured it out eventually. On to Eir to get them to remove my number from said. Account. 5 attempts, no result. Still getting calls trying to collect money, which i don't owe. If I hadn't known somebody in Eir, who sorted this out for me, my only next step would have been court proceedings for harrassment. It's that bad.

And I even got confirmation of my friend, that there were comments on said account, that i had contacted them to remove the contact number. But nobody took action.

If these were isolated incidents ... fair enough ... but there are so many, that it's more the norm than once in a while.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

tuxy wrote: »
    I understand that and have taken it into consideration. When I say take a look at what's happening on the Eir talk to I mean compare it to the talk to section of other ISPs. There's something seriously wrong with eir Customer service when compared to other providers.

Indeed there is, as I have posted above
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109129209&postcount=6562
    Yes eir customer support is a complete mess.

Exactly. And exactly that's the reason why they should be avoided at all cost. Because one thing is what you get, while the service is fine .. but if you have any issues you're going to have nightmares.

Not a penny saved in the world is worth the hassles that Eir customer care create.

I mean ... their incompetence is staggering. And even after they got rid of HLS, it hasn't improved an inch. Even dealing with OpenEIR is a challenge. Not quite as bad as Eir retail, but worse than anyone else.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HCL were never great (better than VM in Manilla but worse than most others) but the inhousing clearly has gone terribly. The reason you'd inhouse would be to up the service level and not have the skewed KPI focus of contractors but it seems to have done the opposite. Long enough to not just be transition pains too.

I probably should know the answer to this already but is there a decent provider currently:
    - No FUP or above 2TB
    - Decent peering (Jog on sky)
    - TV product (most want this)
    - Not still shipping 658c (Team Red ciao)
    - Support that aren't queueing 700 calls permanently (eir)
    - National

Think the FUP bit scuppers most.

ED E wrote: »
    - Decent peering (Jog on sky)

And Virgin.
    ED E wrote: »
    - TV product (most want this)

Net1 and BBnet have actually already started doing this. Airwire working/trialing. It's a bit of a minefield.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That pretty much eliminates everyone
    As for the TV, unless you want the premium channels then a satellite dish and aerial - free for life

fritzelly wrote: »
    As for the TV, unless you want the premium channels then a satellite dish and aerial - free for life

Mjaeh ... Premium channels is definately a minefield.

Otherwise .. no .. you'll be surprised how many of the alternative providers are working on TV solutions. Cause .. it is demanded.

/M

Oh .. and RTE player is sh!T ... funny fact, but real life ISP problem. And that's what license money is sunk into.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Marlow wrote: »
    Oh .. and RTE player is sh!T ... funny fact, but real life ISP problem. And that's what license money is sunk into.

/M

The new RTE player works great for me although it's rare that it has something that interests me. Are people having problems with the new player?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Otherwise .. no .. you'll be surprised how many of the alternative providers are working on TV solutions. Cause .. it is demanded.

Thats partially a Hollywood problem. HBO, Amazon, Google don't offer us the same services here. Hulu is a no. NowTV won't be offered licences for loads of things. OTT has implications for network load but could be overcome. Ideally we'd uncouple ISPs and media providers. You sell me a pipe, you sell me shows. Won't happen though.

Even with 10 subs I couldnt access everything I'd like to watch. When piracy is a better distribution mode than your own you're failing as a for profit company.

And Virgin.

Theirs is a little wonky but not really that poor. For a while links to Germany were shocking but thats long solved. Ireland needs class actions just so VM can pay up for the Hub3 fiasco like CC are likely to stateside.
    The new RTE player works great for me although it's rare that it has something that interests me. Are people having problems with the new player?

The chromecast ignoring ads bug is Fannnnntastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

babi-hrse wrote: »
    we won't use a existing phone line as a draw rope too likely is the situation of taping a cable to copper line only to have it let go halfway through and no way to get either back up.
    Has the potential to end up as a failed install with the added bonus that you've just taken out a customer's existing line which is a whole other headache.

I was hoping I could use my existing DEAD copper wire as a draw string.
    Now I'm thinking I better just use it as a draw string myself and pull a cord draw string after it,,,, seems a pointless exercise but I guess better safe than sorry.

I said DEAD as I've no phone/Adsl and have not had for years, cable to pole where draw string starts was even cut when OE replaced the pole.

brianbruff wrote: »
    I was hoping I could use my existing DEAD copper wire as a draw string.
    Now I'm thinking I better just use it as a draw string myself and pull a cord draw string after it,,,, seems a pointless exercise but I guess better safe than sorry.

I said DEAD as I've no phone/Adsl and have not had for years, cable to pole where draw string starts was even cut when OE replaced the pole.

You can NOT use the copper as draw-string. Well .... you can, to pull a draw-string in. The KN guy can legally not touch it.

So .. get that done before he turns up. Trust me. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I'm feeling hopeful that this is the week on Tuesday that I will go from "coming soon" to "available" .... I can feel it in me water :D

I can feel it in me water :D

No.. whatever you can feel in your water either requires a boiling notice (... you know .. sheep .. crypto spiridium .. ) ... or maybe Sligo CoCo copped on and did the London trick .. . i hear Prozac in the water does to wonders.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I'm feeling hopeful that this is the week on Tuesday that I will go from "coming soon" to "available" .... I can feel it in me water :D

Where does yours say coming soon ?

When I enter my eircode into airwire, for me it say's available on 6th feb. But if I go to the eir website https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ and type in my eircode it say's "Fibre to the Home is available at ******." It then gives me the packages and the cost.

The green sales van was around the area today and it passed my house, I was wondering why it didn't knock into me. I then went into "my eir," and in my profile I noticed I have all marketing un-ticked included face to face, so maybe that's why they didn't knock in. I'll give them a bell tomorrow.

This is a known Eir tactic to take your order before it's available. Don't let it change your mind if you had decided on another provider as it doesn't actually help to get it installed sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

This is a known Eir tactic to take your order before it's available. Don't let it change your mind if you had decided on another provider as it doesn't actually help to get it installed sooner.

I thought as much. The pole with the spool of wire is just beside the neighbours house. I had a look today and the black box is still not installed. I'm in contract for another 6 months with eir.

I'm trying to weigh the pro's and the cons. I'd love to go with airwire but 200 installation fee and 6 months @ €480, 680 total. With eir it's €100 installation fee and 29 for something else, but, I'm back in contract for another year. This year was terrible for me with them. I had shocking intermittent internet issues. On the phone they said there was a fault on the line. I'd get a call 8am on a Saturday morning from a local open eir guy saying he fixed the issues. Low and behold still the same problems. Then the guys on the phone said it was fixed. I had to hound them and eventually they arranged another open eir callout. I actually knew the guy that came out. He got up to the pole via hoist and said the line to my house was fcked. He came out on Xmas eve did his magic and since then no issues at all.

On top of this, a simple number port from a pay as you go to a bill pay and it went tits up, they lost my number. I hate to bad mouth anybody but the eir support are atrocious.

IMO paying the extra 100 for install with Airwire is worth it as it removes the annoyance of changing provider after 12 months. But when you add in paying 6 months to pay to get out of contract that's way too expensive. I very rarely recommend this but I'd say take your chances with Eir.

Not sure what's going on with Eir being unable to port mobile numbers, there are constantly people complaining about losing their number when switching to Eir mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Right, had a chat with phone watch and they are doing an upgrade which will allow us to lose the copper line, at no cost as long as we do another 12 month contract

Now its just a case of choosing the provider for us which isn't Vodafone (FUP)and isn't Eir(FUPPING Baxtards)

:)

Right, had a chat with phone watch and they are doing an upgrade which will allow us to lose the copper line, at no cost as long as we do another 12 month contract

I would say, that makes a whole lot more sense than to hang on to that old p*** of m***

/M

• Advertisement

been saying "coming soon" for months for me on Airwire checker

No.. whatever you can feel in your water either requires a boiling notice (... you know .. sheep .. crypto spiridium .. ) ... or maybe Sligo CoCo copped on and did the London trick .. . i hear Prozac in the water does to wonders.

/M

yep back to bleedin bottles of water

whats that trick then? - the one where Dynamo walked on the water is it? :)

so , yer Architect man Dermot Bannon says Vodafone are rolling gigabit broadband across the country. - I presume he is talking about SIRO and not the FTTH OpenEir one then?

so , yer Architect man Dermot Bannon says Vodafone are rolling gigabit broadband across the country. - I presume he is talking about SIRO and not the FTTH OpenEir one then?

Vodafone isn't rolling any fibre out.

OpenEIR and SIRO are. Vodafone is only a shareholder and a wholesales partner of SIRO, but they're not in control, as they don't have a majority of shares. They are also a wholesales partner of OpenEIR.

But the only thing they're rolling out is mobile based communication and lots and lots of sales people, that don't know what they're selling. They don't know their head from their behind either.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

When I enter my eircode into airwire, for me it say's available on 6th feb. But if I go to the eir website https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ and type in my eircode it say's "Fibre to the Home is available at ******." It then gives me the packages and the cost.

The green sales van was around the area today and it passed my house, I was wondering why it didn't knock into me. I then went into "my eir," and in my profile I noticed I have all marketing un-ticked included face to face, so maybe that's why they didn't knock in. I'll give them a bell tomorrow.
    Doesn't seem to be the case for me
    dgiw9Ck.png
    s9iErt7.png?1

Eir retail is using a weird data set most of the time. It's often outdated and they ignore the Ready-for-Order dates.

So it could for example be a week or two older than Airwire, DubInTheWest may already have been listed by then and you not.

But because they ignore the first order date ... they're listing him as available.

/M

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be the case for me
    dgiw9Ck.png
    s9iErt7.png?1

Does this mean that a.) it will be live in the area on the 6/2/2019

or

b.) thats the date you can place an order for FTTH from airwire (or other provider presumably) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Usually you can order 4/5 weeks prior to the live date

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Alright who comes close
    470372.jpg

1000 mbit package with phone, 909 euro y1 cost

Vodafone is cheaper but 1tb limit and 18 month contract

I dont want to go with Eir

• Advertisement

1000 mbit package with phone, 909 euro y1 cost

Vodafone is cheaper but 1tb limit and 18 month contract

I dont want to go with Eir

Airwire is 1219€ Y1 on a 12 month contract incl. phone, 1179€ Y1 on a 18 months contract .. also including phone.

Add another 30 EUR to it (Y1) and you have 500 minutes free landline calls to a bunch of countries .. all day long.

Eirs phone offering only includes off peak landline calls in Ireland. Nothing else.

The thing is, you'll have to change provider after 12 months if you go with Eir and don't want to be stuck with their pricing.

And here's the other problem: changing providers will get more expensive. It now costs the providers 170+vat plus the price for the router, even when it's an electronic change. New OpenEIR pricing since 1.1.2019.

Digiweb: 1 TB FUP (still there after the website re-design)
    Sky: 1 TB FUP

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement