Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I rang the eir call center today. They checked and said I could avail of it. I told them I can see from my windows it's not complete! They kinda back tracked and said it's available from feb 6th.

Currently I have the house phone unlimited mobile and landline and some mobiles on the bill. The agent ran through some prices etc.. and after all is said and done it's a tenner cheaper per month on the new 1000mbs and I get to keep the unlimited landline and mobiles etc... I also have an install date of the 7th of Feb. They said it could happen before then but I'm not holding my breath.

The part that worries me is, I just noticed I got an email from eir about my order and it say's 'promotional price ***' and then regular price under it. I'll ring back in the morning to make sure I just pay the promotional price full stop and that's what I was told on the phone today but I need to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The part that worries me is, I just noticed I got an email from eir about my order and it say's 'promotional price ***' and then regular price under it. I'll ring back in the morning to make sure I just pay the promotional price full stop and that's what I was told on the phone today but I need to be sure.

The promotional price is for 12 months. After that it goes to the other pricing you have on your order there. That's the thing with Eir.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Usually promotional price is for the 12 month contract and regular is for after that.

Thanks for the info. It's just over 40 quid per month extra after the promotional offer. I'm pretty chuffed at the price now as it's a tenner a month less as I said but if I take the 100 quid installation fee into account it works out nearly the same as I'm paying now. The difference is my current 8mbs which at times is very unstable vs the 1000mbs.

I asked will the whole exchange but turned on at the same time, or as soon as the black box is installed can I get the fibre. She said as soon as the black box is up and running I can avail of the fibre. I'm 'wishing' it might be before the 7th of feb!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Unlikely before, more chance well after

• Advertisement

Before 6.02.2019 is a complete no go. Because that's the first date ANY provider can place the order with OpenEIR.

And if the DPs aren't up yet, then i'd say it'll be another 1-2 weeks at least after that.

New update is coming tomorrow and OpenEIR can very well have moved the ready for order date in that, if they're not done yet.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Marlow wrote: »
    Before 6.02.2019 is a complete no go. Because that's the first date ANY provider can place the order with OpenEIR.

And if the DPs aren't up yet, then i'd say it'll be another 1-2 weeks at least after that.

New update is coming tomorrow and OpenEIR can very well have moved the ready for order date in that, if they're not done yet.

/M

Update:
    DP is in place on whole "line" (installed today). Had a word with engineer (not KN network)
    Carnew area is due to complete within next 2 weeks.
    Saw telecommunication contractor van (do not remember name) for last couple of days parked near exchange.
    Maybe live date will not be 06.02 but it is close.

Another question, does anybody tried to connect fiber straight into router?
    I have Cisco 897 router so i was thinking to bypass ONT (if this is correct name) and connect fiber to the router, any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

domeld wrote: »
    Update:
    DP is in place on whole "line" (installed today). Had a word with engineer (not KN network)
    Carnew area is due to complete within next 2 weeks.
    Saw telecommunication contractor van (do not remember name) for last couple of days parked near exchange.
    Maybe live date will not be 06.02 but it is close.

I have Cisco 897 router so i was thinking to bypass ONT (if this is correct name) and connect fiber to the router, any thoughts?

It is not possible to bypass the ONT. Only the supplied ONT will register with the OLT in the exchange.

domeld wrote: »

You can't.

The ONT is coded to the exchange by serial number and password. They won't allow it.

/M

/M

About 1.5 miles from me there are lots of poles with dp's on them, the placed is covered with black boxes on poles. On my road, there is about 9 houses over 1 mile or a little more all spaced out over various distances but there is only one pole with the 'spool' of wire. So only one dp for all those houses, 9 houses over a mile or a little further, I was hoping to see more poles ready for the dp's. In your opinion will one dp/black box be sufficient for all the houses over the 1mile + radius ?

• Advertisement

About 1.5 miles from me there are lots of poles with dp's on them, the placed is covered with black boxes on poles. On my road, there is about 9 houses over 1 mile or a little more all spaced out over various distances but there is only one pole with the 'spool' of wire. So only one dp for all those houses, 9 houses over a mile or a little further, I was hoping to see more poles ready for the dp's. In your opinion will one dp/black box be sufficient for all the houses over the 1mile + radius ?

No.

Distance doesn't matter with FTTH. The limit is 20km. Exchange to the end of the line.

As for the houses, once DP usually serves 4 premises. Some of them 8.

But one DP won't serve those houses. Has to be 2 or 3.

/M

Distance doesn't matter with FTTH. The limit is 20km. Exchange to the end of the line.

As for the houses, once DP usually serves 4 premises. Some of them 8.

But one DP won't serve those houses. Has to be 2 or 3.

/M

There is no way they are serving premises over a mile from one distribution point.

There is no way they are serving premises over a mile from one distribution point.

Agreed. Normally 2-3 poles. Max 6-7 poles. Generally approx 150m max from DP to house.

/M

No.

I feel very lucky, the pole with the spool of wire is just across from me. But something must have happened further down the road. I spoke to KN guys back in early December and they were looking for access to a farmers field, I pointed them in the right direction. Then a couple of weeks later they were at the house across from the field. People can be contrary, I hope nobody down that side has put a halt to things down there regarding access to fields or whatever.

I feel very lucky, the pole with the spool of wire is just across from me. But something must have happened further down the road. I spoke to KN guys back in early December and they were looking for access to a farmers field, I pointed them in the right direction. Then a couple of weeks later they were at the house across from the field. People can be contrary, I hope nobody down that side has put a halt to things down there regarding access to fields or whatever.

It could very well be that those premises get left out if there are permission issues.

Are those houses even on the rollout according to the map
    Either they are not or they've forgotten the rest of the DP's

Sorry just a question I forgot to ask. I have no idea how the fibre works at all, just what I've read in this thread. But the dp that will be on the pole just across from my house, does this have to be connected to another dp somewhere else, or is it ok that's it's standalone. I ask this because I don't see any more poles at all ready for dp's in the vicinity.

Sorry just a question I forgot to ask. I have no idea how the fibre works at all, just what I've read in this thread. But the dp that will be on the pole just across from my house, does this have to be connected to another dp somewhere else, or is it ok that's it's standalone. I ask this because I don't see any more poles at all ready for dp's in the vicinity.

It would be connected back to the exchange through other distribution points.

It could very well be that those premises get left out if there are permission issues.

Jesus, that would be shocking. I have a very strong suspicion that something is up down that way. KN marked the pole that day I was talking to them.

Some peoples views are terrible. I remember having a moan about internet speeds to a girl about 3 years ago, she lives further on about 2 miles down the road and her response to me was 'ah shure not many people around here use the internet.' I just walked away thinking what hope have we got. And she's a secondary school teacher!
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Are those houses even on the rollout according to the map
    Either they are not or they've forgotten the rest of the DP's

Yes they are 100% on the map.

• Advertisement

It would be connected back to the exchange through other distribution points.

Would they have to be connected to other dp's via fibre cable ? This could be bad news because it's supposed to be going down the road where, nothing has happened yet. And I don't see any more dp's around or spools or wire on any more poles in a 1.5 mile radius.

Would they have to be connected to other dp's via fibre cable ? This could be bad news because it's supposed to be going down the road where, nothing has happened yet.

Yes with fibre cable. If they have installed the DP on the pole opposite your home I assume that it is connected all the way back to the exchange. It only needs to be connected one way, it doesn't have to form a loop or a circle.

Yes with fibre cable. If they have installed the DP on the pole opposite your home I assume that it is connected all the way back to the exchange. It only needs to be connected one way, it doesn't have to form a loop or a circle.

They just have the spool of wire hanging on the pole. The open eir guys were about a mile away today running fibre cable from pole to pole. I'm hoping they come up my area very soon. Eir took my order over the phone today, with an install date of feb 7th. I doubt it will happen by then but I really hope it's soon.

Regarding telephone poles in farmers fields and peoples gardens, do eir need permission to work on them?

There is a family down the road, really nice people with a very big front garden, there are 2 poles in there and eir do be at them occasionally.

Regarding telephone poles in farmers fields and peoples gardens, do eir need permission to work on them?

There is a family down the road, really nice people with a very big front garden, there are 2 poles in there and eir do be at them occasionally.

AFAIK they need permission. I think only the ESB have a blanket wayleave to go where they want.

Tricky situation, if landowner plays hard ball nothing OE can really do about it and because it's not classed as a utility pointless even taking to court.
    Happens a lot even with the copper lines where the landowner refuses permission to access the pole.

Another one of the reasons it's so hard to do anything like this in Ireland

Tricky situation, if landowner plays hard ball nothing OE can really do about it and because it's not classed as a utility pointless even taking to court.
    Happens a lot even with the copper lines where the landowner refuses permission to access the pole.

Another one of the reasons it's so hard to do anything like this in Ireland

If the guys is acting the fker I hope then can at least run the fibre across the poles so we can get it up our side. I think thats the only way our dp could be connected back to the exchange across the pole in his fields where the current wire for the VDSL is coming from.

And the guy in question that owns the field is one of the dirtiest farmers I've ever met, no he is the dirtiest I've ever met. There are multiple farmers over this way, you can walk past their farms and down the road no problems, then you come past his place and it stinks as he washes all the cow sh!t out on the road and leaves it there. It's his field so if there is an issues it would be him alright.

If there is a way around it they will try and do it - it happens a lot. Personally I were OE I would just redirect the cabling and cut off his connection.

If there is a way around it they will try and do it - it happens a lot. Personally I were OE I would just redirect the cabling and cut off his connection.

I agree totally, the problem is, his house is up past mine, and as far as I know, he's not on the map. He just happens to own a lot of land and that field is right at the start of the road. The fibre should come up the road past his field, hit all the houses to about 1/4 mile past my house and it just stops there.

I think the guy grows spuds in that particular field but nothing in there at the minute growing so I can't see any issues not to let the guys work on the pole. But some people......

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH this morning.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement