Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I was out and about today and I met some open eir guys about a mile from me. The guy was really nice, he was concerned at first when I told him where I lived because the fibre stops not too far after my house, just about 3 or 4 more houses after me and it stops, but when I told him I'd ordered it via phone and I was on the map he was happy enough, said the'd be up my way hopefully by the end of the week. Never thought I'd get the fiber in, but I can feel it's coming close now.
    Last week there was loads of KN and open eir vans blitzing the place with dp's, now it seems it's just one crew finishing off the last small remaining area, the rest seem to have moved on to the next location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I got connected yesterday. Went from 3mb down to 285mb down overnight. Finally in 21st century!

There are 2 dp's on our road, yet only 3 houses appear on the map/databases. What have my neighbours to do to get connected/on database.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

So I'm "available soon" on airwire - just got confirmation from OpenEir that I won't be going live in my area until May.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

turbbo wrote: »
    So I'm "available soon" on airwire - just got confirmation from OpenEir that I won't be going live in my area until May.

i'm not having a dig at Martin and airwire at all and they do a sterling job at keeping the database update and they can only go on what data they are supplied (from OE isnt it) but I wish there was not a 'available soon' when its so many months off . would it not be better to just leave it as 'not available' and have 'available soon' when there is definate news of it being available within the next month say because its a bit misleading for some as I am sure they see 'available soon' and think .... well its going to be available soon. Hope you dont mind me pointing it out.

givecredit wrote: »
    I got connected yesterday. Went from 3mb down to 285mb down overnight. Finally in 21st century!....

I can only imagine what that feeling is like , I am (on a good day) 11mbps Down and to go from that to 150mb down overnight will feel great I am sure. I know on the grand scheme of things 11mbps is not too bad seing as there are people out there trying to do stuff/work/watch videos on 3mbps and less. But i still cant imagine how better things with be when i get 150mbps at my house. It seems still a way off yet. The DP's on the poles have been up since last summer and still no word about when it will be finished and go live.

I remember years ago having dial up 56k modem in my computer and being the first in my area to have 3mb down/3mb up so going from 33k to 3mb and because I was one of the first there was no drop down from that speed and it was stable. I remember thinking at that time that it was blisteringly fast and why would anyone want more than 3mbps download LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Just checked the map and said I should have FTTH by winter 2018 .Oh well at least they have given up trying to bull s##t us anymore :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Apart from speed test websites, I haven't found any bits of the internet that will dispense data at 150 Mbps. Even Microsoft doesn't. 120 Mbps would be about the fastest I have been served at in a peak. Nice when it happens. The fast upload speed is probably more dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

The DP's on the poles have been up since last summer and still no word about when it will be finished and go live.

That is shocking, I wonder what happened there. I wonder did they hit a snag and rather than just try and get to the bottom of it, they motored on and will eventually come back to your area get it live. When did it start to say coming soon ?

That is shocking, I wonder what happened there. I wonder did they hit a snag and rather than just try and get to the bottom of it, they motored on and will eventually come back to your area get it live. When did it start to say coming soon ?

the only near enough information I got was gossip from our local shop in the village (villages are great sometimes for the ol goss , although some of it is not true half the time and got lost in translation lol) but apparently an open eir guy went in to buy a newspaper and a packet of polo mints ad they asked him what the hold up was and he said "its the cabinet, its a mess in there and no-one wants to touch it and sort it out" - but that might have been the delay on the FTTC service ... but its more than what I can get even when I ask by direct message to open eir.

I think its because they start a job and dont finish it all the way through. They start it put all the cables up and DP's on the poles and then after they have done that are called away to another area where they are needed .. so all half finished jobs .. or maybe there are some blocked ducts somewhere along the main road route , or they are waiting for a piece of telecommunications device to come from China or somewhere ... who knows? - I certainly dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

More than like a planning issue / road license issue happened. Or permission for access somewhere.

Carolan Lennon made it very clear at the last Broadband and Mobile Forum, that if they run into issues like that, they just move the teams to other areas and it'll be a good while before they're back. They're so busy, they can't have the teams hanging around.

/M

• Advertisement

but I wish there was not a 'available soon' when its so many months off . would it not be better to just leave it as 'not available' and have 'available soon' when there is definate news of it being available within the next month say because its a bit misleading for some as I am sure they see 'available soon' and think

There is no date on that. So how do you know, without asking, what soon means for you ?

With "Available soon" you at least know, that you're included. If that wasn't there, then the provider would literally turn you (and other customers) away and you'll never be back.

Your logic makes no sense. Just because you're impatient, you prefer that others get disappointed.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's many many years sooner than the houses a few KM down the road that are screwed because of the disaster of that is the National Broadband Plan. So while very frustrating it's still relatively soon.

Marlow wrote: »
    There is no date on that. So how do you know, without asking, what soon means for you ?

With "Available soon" you at least know, that you're included. If that wasn't there, then the provider would literally turn you (and other customers) away and you'll never be back.

Your logic makes no sense. Just because you're impatient, you prefer that others get disappointed.

/M

ha - impatient , like that one .. I have been thinking I was going to get FTTH in aug 2018 ... I think i have been more than patient

ha - impatient , like that one .. I have been thinking I was going to get FTTH in aug 2018 ... I think i have been more than patient

I know people, that have been waiting for near to 1 1/2 years after their premise went officially live to get FTTH. Simply because of build issues, road licenses needed, ducting crushed and other things. And these have not been issues on their own premise. Are you also saying, those premises should be delisted, because of the issue that exist ?

So ... no ... you are just complaining about things, that if changed to your liking, would dishearten other people a lot. Getting confirmation, that someone eventually, within a reasonable time frame ... which at the very most is from the start of 2016 to mid of 2019 ... will get FTTH .. is a bit thing.

There are other people, that are waiting for the 3rd incarnation of the NBP, which now has been rail-roaded like hell. And that's been in the coming since 2014 with no light at the end of the tunnel to be found.

Waiting 6-12 month is nothing compared to the bigger picture. People waited 5+ years for a phone in P&T times. And that's even in Dublin. And in the meanwhile you've actually got faster broadband at the minute than most of these people waiting on the NBP.

/M

i'm not having a dig at Martin and airwire at all and they do a sterling job at keeping the database update and they can only go on what data they are supplied (from OE isnt it) but I wish there was not a 'available soon' when its so many months off . would it not be better to just leave it as 'not available' and have 'available soon' when there is definate news of it being available within the next month say because its a bit misleading for some as I am sure they see 'available soon' and think .... well its going to be available soon. Hope you dont mind me pointing it out.

I think there is nothing airwire can do - its bad data from openeir. Openeir could be rolling out a lot earlier to other areas marked as "coming soon".
    Airwires website still has the best checker - in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Apart from speed test websites, I haven't found any bits of the internet that will dispense data at 150 Mbps. Even Microsoft doesn't. 120 Mbps would be about the fastest I have been served at in a peak. Nice when it happens. The fast upload speed is probably more dramatic.

Enjoy the better connection!

Marlow wrote: »
    I know people, that have been waiting for near to 1 1/2 years after their premise went officially live to get FTTH. Simply because of build issues, road licenses needed, ducting crushed and other things. And these have not been issues on their own premise. Are you also saying, those premises should be delisted, because of the issue that exist ?

So ... no ... you are just complaining about things, that if changed to your liking, would dishearten other people a lot. Getting confirmation, that someone eventually, within a reasonable time frame ... which at the very most is from the start of 2016 to mid of 2019 ... will get FTTH .. is a bit thing.

There are other people, that are waiting for the 3rd incarnation of the NBP, which now has been rail-roaded like hell. And that's been in the coming since 2014 with no light at the end of the tunnel to be found.

Waiting 6-12 month is nothing compared to the bigger picture. People waited 5+ years for a phone in P&T times. And that's even in Dublin. And in the meanwhile you've actually got faster broadband at the minute than most of these people waiting on the NBP.

/M

Whats unbelieavable is there are areas not covered by openeir or the nbp and they're not on top of mountains either. Although holding out for an nbp is almost as bad.

turbbo wrote: »
    Whats unbelieavable is there are areas not covered by openeir or the nbp and they're not on top of mountains either. Although holding out for an nbp is almost as bad.

What's even more unbelievable, but happens more than often, is that they actually cover a whole bunch of houses .. i mean build fibre .. and then forget to document that. Missing on fibrerollout.ie and in the APQ.

And that's not an uncommon scenario at all.

And when you ask to get that fixed, you get told, that you weren't part of the 300k. Because it's 100% sure, that the fibrerollout.ie map is correct. right !!

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Got one today, about 30 houses all FTTH but one house got indexed to the wrong exchange - he's been waiting over a year and kept getting told not available yet (exchange not upgraded yet I think was the message) meanwhile all his neighbours are getting connected. I copped on to it today when someone asked me to check it for them - problem now is there are no free ports left eek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

How common is the lack of ports and is it because there has been an unexpected uptake in that area or openeir not building enough capacity?

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Got one today, about 30 houses all FTTH but one house got indexed to the wrong exchange - he's been waiting over a year and kept getting told not available yet (exchange not upgraded yet I think was the message) meanwhile all his neighbours are getting connected. I copped on to it today when someone asked me to check it for them - problem now is there are no free ports left eek

Sucks .. I've had one, where they've extended the build to 18 additional houses. DPs all in place and live.

Manually got 3 of them indexed. And even though we pointed the entire problem out every time, they didn't bother go back and re-index the whole lot.

It took 3 months .. they're finally in this weeks update. But only after a few very very angry emails and escalating it to management.

And this is like the 7th or 8th cluster, that I've personally spotted and rectified. Don't want to know how many more like that there is.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

tuxy wrote: »
    How common is the lack of ports and is it because there has been an unexpected uptake in that area or openeir not building enough capacity?

It has to be quite uncommon seeing as take up is below 30%.

I'sh ... normally there is one port per Eircode. But what they haven't calculated for is new houses being build and added and the fact, that some eircodes have multiple lettings. There is no spare capacity in the current build for these added premises.

And there is nothing that hinders you getting more than one FTTH line into the same premise/eircode.

There is currently about 2500 FTTH enabled premises nationwide flagged as no ports available ... but some of those are entire clusters, that have build issues.

/M

Every house that was included in the initial rollout was supposed to be allocated a port for them, valid for 2 years to take up - I guess as other premises (that were missed/new builds) were added on they started using up some of the ports. Fair enough, think it was silly to allocate ports to houses that may never take the fibre. Then again I suppose ports are also been freed up now anyway.

It has to be quite uncommon seeing as take up is below 30%.

Actually no, starting to get quite common now - well I've had quite a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

But you seem to deal with the difficult cases so on a nationwide perspective it may be uncommon but you see a higher incidence.

The most annoying one is when during a drop of the FTTH line, the port doesn't clear in the system on a DP that is full. And you're stuck in limbo for a day or two ..

There are even ports, that OpenEIR can't find .. and DPs :)

/M

But you seem to deal with the difficult cases so on a nationwide perspective it may be uncommon but you see a higher incidence.

No .. he's right .. it's getting more common. The overall uptake may only be 30%, but it's not evenly.

What happens is that where people are aware and have the need, the DP fill up quickly. And stays that way.

And in other areas you have none or one houses connected to a DP.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The jump from rural ADSL to FTTH is similar to that from 56k to 1Mb DSL. "Sure what would I do with that" and "it costs HOW much?" is what you hear first but once somebody tries it you can pry it from their cold dead hands.

George in rural Clare orders it, next week he's down the local singing its praises & how his kids have STFU complaining about netflix and instagram not working properly. Bliss says George. Next week the DP is full.

• Advertisement

Here's an example:

46704278742_d4d1b5d530_c.jpg

- green logo : FTTH enabled
    - orange logo: VDSL enabled
    - red exclamation mark: DP full
    - premises with no logo: left out, forgotten, not indexed. (could be sheds, too)

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement