Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    I'm in this industry for over 20 years professionally. And that's not only Ireland. That's Europe and US (multiple countries). I got my first internet account in 1994. I ran a Fidonet BBS before that.

So yes .. I am. Because Ireland is ... matter of fact .. at least a decade behind anyone else. Denmark did the whole rural FTTH thing over 10 years ago. And they didn't go just marketing menthal selling Gbit/s connections. They sell 40, 80 and 120 Mbit/s connections on fibre. But solid and every premise connected.

And the business providing the last mile (OpenEIR .. aka Eircom ... aka P&T) may have changed owners and is private these days ... but they sure as f*** haven't changed mentality nor the way they do things.

I came from 10 Mbit/s full-duplex in Scandinavia to having to fight Eircom 4 months to get a 512/128 kbit DSL line in south Dublin about 15 years ago. And also that hasn't changed.

So yes ... Most commercial independant operators do a vastly better job than them .. but the lack of Comreg or the Government actually having a clue of what's going on in Telecoms then screws that up again. And advertising standards not being enforced in Ireland makes the market an even bigger minefield. I mean ... how can people label products "fibre" or "unlimited" and then write in the small print that it ain't so ? When sales people can basically tell BS about other providers and don't get penalized ... what do you expect ?

/M

so who do we complain to then because TE / eircom / eir have dragged their heels over the years and stifled this country over the years not upgrading their infrastructure as frequent as they should have done and had apathy over the years and thats why most people in Ireland havent got decent boradband speeds? - is it them thats been at fault all along or is it Comreg for not keeping them in line over the years. Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

so who do we complain to then because TE / eircom / eir have dragged their heels over the year and stifled this country over the years not upgrading their infrastructure as frequent as they should have done and had apathy over the years and thats why most people in Ireland havent got decent boradband speeds? - is it them thats been at fault all along or is it Comreg for not keeping them in line over the years. Just wondering.

OpenEIR / Eir is a PRIVATE company. The state does not own any telecoms infrastructure to speak off directly. At this point of time. They sold their rights to have any say about 20 years ago.

So in fact, you can't complain at all. You will have to get your local TD to get the government to invest in telecoms infrastructure again to get any guarantees at all. Otherwise you will just have to accept that whatever private businesses provide you with is what you get. Bottom line.

Even the NBP under it's current layout is not going to give the government any control over any telecoms infrastructure. Only the reassurance that a private business will roll out what is deemed needed .. maybe .. if they keep up and the contract ever gets awarded.

End of story.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes, while comreg should be given more power to punish companies for anti competitive practices you can't force a private company to do something that's not in the best interest of its shareholders.

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes, while comreg should be given more power to punish companies for anti competitive practices you can't force a private company to do something that's not in the best interest of its shareholders.

Comreg .. and ASAI !!

Both equal issues in our dilemma.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

What's even more unbelievable, but happens more than often, is that they actually cover a whole bunch of houses .. i mean build fibre .. and then forget to document that. Missing on fibrerollout.ie and in the APQ.

And that's not an uncommon scenario at all.

And when you ask to get that fixed, you get told, that you weren't part of the 300k. Because it's 100% sure, that the fibrerollout.ie map is correct. right !!

/M

Yep I seen a couple like that all providers show copper available and ftth not where it's ftth only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I'm in this industry for over 20 years professionally. And that's not only Ireland. That's Europe and US (multiple countries). I got my first internet account in 1994. I ran a Fidonet BBS before that.

So yes .. I am. Because Ireland is ... matter of fact .. at least a decade behind anyone else. Denmark did the whole rural FTTH thing over 10 years ago. And they didn't go just marketing menthal selling Gbit/s connections. They sell 40, 80 and 120 Mbit/s connections on fibre. But solid and every premise connected.

And the business providing the last mile (OpenEIR .. aka Eircom ... aka P&T) may have changed owners and is private these days ... but they sure as f*** haven't changed mentality nor the way they do things.

I came from 10 Mbit/s full-duplex in Scandinavia to having to fight Eircom 4 months to get a 512/128 kbit DSL line in south Dublin about 15 years ago. And also that hasn't changed.

So yes ... Most commercial independant operators do a vastly better job than them .. but the lack of Comreg or the Government actually having a clue of what's going on in Telecoms then screws that up again. And advertising standards not being enforced in Ireland makes the market an even bigger minefield. I mean ... how can people label products "fibre" or "unlimited" and then write in the small print that it ain't so ? When sales people can basically tell BS about other providers and don't get penalized ... what do you expect ?

/M

Best post on here in a long long time!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Came home from work the long way around yesterday and noticed there was a spool of fibre on one of the poles at where the yellow line was meant to end.

And it kept going.

And it went all the way to the other end, at my house, with about a dozen vans putting the fibre up on the poles along the way. 6.5km done in what I assume is a day or two, great stuff

OyedZjx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Bit of an update on my situation - Open eir are on my road today which is great to see, about 1/4 mile from my house. I stopped and asked about hooking me up date wise. The guy said he'd be up my side by the end of the week but the 'heavy' stuff will be done next week. I said great and told him I had an install date of the 7th Feb. He said if they told me that then it's a possibility but he didn't think it would be 'switched' on by the 7th.

I'm a bit confused now. The sales girl told me once the dp went up, I could be connected. I originally thought the whole area would be turned on at the same time. Probably just a sales pitch she sold me but all in all I'm very happy to see activity just up the road from me. The open eir guys seem bang on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Bit of an update on my situation - Open eir are on my road today which is great to see, about 1/4 mile from my house. I stopped and asked about hooking me up date wise. The guy said he'd be up my side by the end of the week but the 'heavy' stuff will be done next week. I said great and told him I had an install date of the 7th Feb. He said if they told me that then it's a possibility but he didn't think it would be 'switched' on by the 7th.

I'm a bit confused now. The sales girl told me once the dp went up, I could be connected. I originally thought the whole area would be turned on at the same time. Probably just a sales pitch she sold me but all in all I'm very happy to see activity just up the road from me. The open eir guys seem bang on too.

Don't believe anything you are told by salespeople. Usually there is a period up to a month between DPs being fitted and going live. Also the whole area is usually not "turned on" at once. It generally follows the cabling and DP fitting schedule, so the DPs fitted first go live first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Came home from work the long way around yesterday and noticed there was a spool of fibre on one of the poles at where the yellow line was meant to end.

And it kept going.

And it went all the way to the other end, at my house, with about a dozen vans putting the fibre up on the poles along the way. 6.5km done in what I assume is a day or two, great stuff
    They really are quite quick at cabling. It is the preparatory work that takes the longest time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,063 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ummmm - you probably don't want to know how many months between my DP going up and actual availability. :)

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ummmm - you probably don't want to know how many months between my DP going up and actual availability. :)

Tell me, I can take it :D

Edit: When your dp was going up, was it showing a date on the airwire website ?

oh i do :) - see if it beats my scenario of 6 months and still counting at the moment...

OpenEIR / Eir is a PRIVATE company. The state does not own any telecoms infrastructure to speak off directly. At this point of time. They sold their rights to have any say about 20 years ago......
    /M

they werent always a private company over the years, why when they were a state owned company did they not (or seem to) not move with the times on the infrastructure side of things and werent held accountable ? - thats maybe why in some places its so far behind with technology re Internet broadband these days because the money/time wasnt invested in the past maybe?

so was it really 20 years since they last was a state owned telecommunications company?

It's impossible to say if Telecom Eireann would have been any different. TE had started trials for DSL before most other countries in Europe. When they became a private company Eircom really dug their heals in to hold on to dial up for as long as possible.

Tell me, I can take it :D

Edit: When your dp was going up, was it showing a date on the airwire website ?
    oh i do :) - see if it beats my scenario of 6 months and still counting at the moment...

It went up near the end of Feb 2018 and availability was from the beginning of May. I didn't know about the Airwire database at that time. I initially didn't sign up when the Eir reps came calling in May but then relented in October.

It went up near the end of Feb 2018 and availability was from the beginning of May. I didn't know about the Airwire database at that time. I initially didn't sign up when the Eir reps came calling in May but then relented in October.

we had a door to door eir salesman who came to our door and told us the DP's were live and could take our order that was a short while after the DP/cabling went up on the poles in the summer of 2018. When i asked how long until we have it in the house he said around 3 weeks because 'there was a rush on for orders of FTTH and there was a delay' - we didnt sign up then because I wanted to find out more about this free installation westnet were offering - the eir rep was offering to install for 99euro but that was before the 29euro connection fee came into force.

I have often wondered if others in our area took him up on the FTTH deal and what happened after the 3 weeks were up and the FTTH never materialised and what did they do .. I suppose they just cancelled the order I suppose .. I wonder if he still got his commission tho?

Jeez. I wonder did it actually go live in May sometime ?

When I go to the eir website now and check any bundles via my home phone number, it comes back with 'great news fibre 1000mbs is available at your address,' and lists the available bundles. There are no options available like the previous ones (next generation broadband). Just imagine if I didn't know for sure it wasn't available, I'd be celebrating now.

I'm trying not to think about it, but there are eir vans up and down the road and I'm finding it hard not to think about fibre every day lol

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    OyedZjx.jpg
    I think I recognise that road. :pac:

If it's where I think it is, I was out that direction on Sunday afternoon to see how the build is going. That whole area is RFO February 6th, but I doubt the build will be finished by then.
    Don't believe anything you are told by salespeople. Usually there is a period up to a month between DPs being fitted and going live. Also the whole area is usually not "turned on" at once. It generally follows the cabling and DP fitting schedule, so the DPs fitted first go live first.
    See above. It's always worst at quarter ends, when large numbers are released in the APQ files whether they're built or not.
    Well, I ordered FTTH for my house as soon as it became available in November 2017.

I'm still waiting.

<snip>I'm trying not to think about it, but there are eir vans up and down the road and I'm finding it hard not to think about fibre every day lol</snip>

a bit too much obsessed LOL but i am exactly the same .. not until last summer when i first saw the empty ducting going up a phone pole and the next day or 2 seeing the fibre cable coming up inside that empty duct and coiled by the pole thats when i started getting excited/obsessed.

Up until that point I had just resigned myself to putting up with my 11mbps broadband by fixed wireless and at least it was faster than my previous address that had 8mbps ADSL .

But thats the time I started foaming at the mouth seeing that work going on and thinking 'sometime soon i am going to be able to download stuff quickly on a 150mbps connection at least soon.

• Advertisement

is there not anything in law to stop these sales people doing this kind of thing, promising something and then not delivering it on time , something like knowingly being supplied false information to stop them doing this kind of thing just to make a sale? - at the end of the day both parties enter into a contract and its effectively pulling the wool over some un-suspecting public's eye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Tried to get ADSL in 2005. Still waiting, so I win the thread.
    Also ineligible for fixed wireless too now that I think about it.

we had a door to door eir salesman who came to our door and told us the DP's were live and could take our order that was a short while after the DP/cabling went up on the poles in the summer of 2018. When i asked how long until we have it in the house he said around 3 weeks because 'there was a rush on for orders of FTTH and there was a delay' - we didnt sign up then because I wanted to find out more about this free installation westnet were offering - the eir rep was offering to install for 99euro but that was before the 29euro connection fee came into force.

I have often wondered if others in our area took him up on the FTTH deal and what happened after the 3 weeks were up and the FTTH never materialised and what did they do .. I suppose they just cancelled the order I suppose .. I wonder if he still got his commission tho?

Maybe they have all been enjoying FTTH for months while you have encountered a system glitch causing you to believe it isn't available. :D

Maybe they have all been enjoying FTTH for months while you have encountered a system glitch causing you to believe it isn't available. :D

That comment will have many people paranoid right now lol

Nah ... Andy has the Eir sales guy so annoyed, so that he got delisted.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

God can you Imagine it ... (and I dont mean imagine LTE either :) )

with my conspiracy hat on I think they (OE or whoever) have barred me because they have read my musings on here about getting a cheap china all in one Gpon ONT/wireless Router and think I am gonna degrade the system for others so are just taking the easy route and not making it available to me .... and sorry, others in the area (until I sign a disclaimer saying that I will not touch the original ONT equipment) :D

I know some of us are like drug addicts waiting for the fibre, I am anyway :D But to see any movement on the airwire or eir website is just great. I have a friend living on the border of mayo and galway, he's down for the second half of 2018, and nothing as of yet. No movement on the eir or airwire database and also not a kn or open eir van in sight at all around the place, so even though I have no nails left I feel grateful.

Just want to ask about the FUP with eir. I asked the girl on the phone when I was ordering and she said it's truely unlimited. I mentioned the issues here on the talk to eir and she said after july 2018 I think it was, anyone who orders ftth is totally unlimited, is this true ? I have TB's of stuff I want to upload to the cloud, the first month or 2 that I have it will be fairly high usage and then it will even out.

I know some of us are like drug addicts waiting for the fibre, I am anyway :D But to see any movement on the airwire or eir website is just great. I have a friend living on the border of mayo and galway, he's down for the second half of 2018, and nothing as of yet. No movement on the eir or airwire database and also not a kn or open eir van in sight at all around the place, so even though I have no nails left I feel grateful.

Just want to ask about the FUP with eir. I asked the girl on the phone when I was ordering and she said it's truely unlimited. I mentioned the issues here on the talk to eir and she said after july 2018 I think it was, anyone who orders ftth is totally unlimited, is this true ? I have TB's of stuff I want to upload to the cloud, the first month or 2 that I have it will be fairly high usage and then it will even out.

is the FUP even on the upload side of things? - I thought it were just on the download, might be wrong though.

are you ordering the 1TB package so you have the highest upload speed?

• Advertisement

FUP is combined usage. Eir actually removed mine recently, I was lucky to get a rep that knew how to do this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement