Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

is the FUP even on the upload side of things? - I thought it were just on the download, might be wrong though.

are you ordering the 1TB package so you have the highest upload speed?

Yes I ordered the 1000/100 package. I've tons of stuff I want to upload. I've been on 9mbs for the past few years, down to 8mbs now due to old wires or something but even on the 9mbs package there was times I just barely missed 1tb in a month. Them times were few and far between, most months the family usage would be about 500gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,063 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

tuxy wrote: »
    FUP is combined usage. Eir actually removed mine recently, I was lucky to get a rep that knew how to do this.

How do you tell whether you are subject to a FUP or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

cnocbui wrote: »

If you were a new customer since August you are unlimited (cannot remember the exact date it started).
    There is a way for existing customers to get it but not gonna say how here in case you say to someone on the phone and they don't know what they are doing and end up cancelling your whole account

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Yes I ordered the 1000/100 package. I've tons of stuff I want to upload. I've been on 9mbs for the past few years, down to 8mbs now due to old wires or something but even on the 9mbs package there was times I just barely missed 1tb in a month. Them times were few and far between, most months the family usage would be about 500gb.

ive just done a speed test on my laptop - 2.03 up .. you imagine trying to uploads loads of stuff on that . woeful it would be

apparently I am unlimited FWA - but even then even when a supplier says 'no limit' or 'unlimited' I think a fair usage policy still exists so you dont overload the bandwidth for other users. So you really want to take that into mind if you are going to be using it heavily and the download and upload figures are combined then.

EDIT: i think in most circumstances you have to get the ol magnifying glass out and read the small print in the contract and where it says "although the service is offered as unlimited a fair use policy is in existance and we can at our own discrestion slow down or discontinue your service if we think you are overloading the network" (or words to that effect)

God can you Imagine it ... (and I dont mean imagine LTE either :) )

with my conspiracy hat on I think they (OE or whoever) have barred me because they have read my musings on here about getting a cheap china all in one Gpon ONT/wireless Router and think I am gonna degrade the system for others so are just taking the easy route and not making it available to me .... and sorry, others in the area (until I sign a disclaimer saying that I will not touch the original ONT equipment) :D

Come on, admit it, you've been outside and gone for a walk, checking to see if anyone has two black lines strung to their house instead of just one. ;)

• Advertisement

ive just done a speed test on my laptop - 2.03 up .. you imagine trying to uploads loads of stuff on that . woeful it would be

I'm 'supposed' to be 512kbs upload, but I don't even get that. So even trying to send an email with an attachment is dire at the minute.

But regarding the FUP, they were claiming truely unlimited but were charging after 1TB, but that changed now I hope/think.

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you were a new customer since August you are unlimited (cannot remember the exact date it started).
    There is a way for existing customers to get it but not gonna say how here in case you say to someone on the phone and they don't know what they are doing and end up cancelling your whole account

October, yay! Thanks - missed out on the free connection but got the unlimited, which could well be a bigger saving given the costs of a miss or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

From the T&Cs
    For those customers who signed up prior to 25th July 2018, eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month; usage in excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 (inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100 (inc. VAT) per month. This is not applicable to customers who sign up on or after 25th July 2018.

Come on, admit it, you've been outside and gone for a walk, checking to see if anyone has two black lines strung to their house instead of just one. ;)

no, but it has given me an idea ... now where did I put my torch? :)

I'm 'supposed' to be 512kbs upload, but I don't even get that. So even trying to send an email with an attachment is dire at the minute.

But regarding the FUP, they were claiming truely unlimited but were charging after 1TB, but that changed now I hope/think.

i use my google drive and youtube quite a bit and its woeful waiting for stuff to upload to them - i normally go off make a cup of tea, wash the car, take the dogs for a walk .. drive to dublin and when I get back its still on 10% uploaded :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

From what you've said I'd guess the fibre needs to be blown from the exchange to the pole with the clear duct. They will then fit a DP to that pole and splice the cable into the already fitted DPs.

This arises because I suspect there are far fewer teams trained in the air blowing method. They may turn up in the next 25 days but I would not bank on it being live on the proposed date.

OK so i had a look at the poles between the exchange and my house today. None of them have DP's attached, but they are all currently fed with copper cables from underground like I was saying, same as the pole outside my house.

I also see two other poles within 100 yards of my house on this route with clear ducting taped to them coming from underground same as the one outside my house also.

iPhone. wrote: »
    OK so i had a look at the poles between the exchange and my house today. None of them have DP's attached, but they are all currently fed with copper cables from underground like I was saying, same as the pole outside my house.

I also see two other poles within 100 yards of my house on this route with clear ducting taped to them coming from underground same as the one outside my house also.

My best guess is that there is no cable coming from the exchange yet and it will be blown to the nearest pole to the exchange. Keep an eye out for black cable emerging from the clear duct.

look at this speed test I have just done 3mbps - it will most probably go back up to 11mbps .... at 1am tomorrow morning . It tends to do that, bloody contention.

I suppose if you got 150mbps connection and even with contention (because its shared Gpon it still suffers contention doesnt it?) but because its such a high speed you would hardly notice it.

470591.jpg

look at this speed test I have just done 3mbps - it will most probably go back up to 11mbps .... at 1am tomorrow morning . It tends to do that, bloody contention.

I suppose if you got 150mbps connection and even with contention (because its shared Gpon it still suffers contention doesnt it?) but because its such a high speed you would hardly notice it.

I have 300 and it is pretty much full speed 24/7.

The point with higher speed downloads is that even with contention people are only using the bandwidth for a very short time instead of 30 mins and more on a DSL/FTTC connection
    Very few people would even notice contention on FTTH if at all.
    Even if one or 2 were using it at 1gbps there is traffic shaping so no one person can suddenly hamper all other users when they need BW

I have 300 and it is pretty much full speed 24/7.

show off! :D

fritzelly wrote: »
    The point with higher speed downloads is that even with contention people are only using the bandwidth for a very short time instead of 30 mins and more on a DSL/FTTC connection
    Very few people would even notice contention on FTTH if at all.
    Even if one or 2 were using it at 1gbps there is traffic shaping so no one person can suddenly hamper all other users when they need BW

of course yes i never thought of that, conversely if a file downloads quicker it is going to free up the connection quicker. it kind of makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The average usage on FTTH is 2-3 Mbit/s per user. That's about it.

The system just doesn't get stressed, because most services can't even deliver to saturate the FTTH connections.

Real good example: RTE Player ... it's sh!t with a slow connection. It's still sh!t with 1000 Mbit/s. ... because RTE doesn't have the bandwidth to deliver the service in the first place.

The slower broadband systems get expecially haunted with the pirated dodgy-boxes, because the people who offer those services don't encode the stream properly. So you basically get a raw 20 Mbit/s stream, that never gets to buffer.

Properly encoded IPTV is like 20-50 mbit/s bursts and then near to nothing for 30-60 seconds. 720p should not take up more than 2-4 Mbit/s. If encoded correctly.

/M

I was just browsing the eir website yesterday and it was saying how long for a file to download with the 150, 300 and 1000. One of the ones was 15gb file - 2 minutes. I'm like holy fk. If I want a file that size now, I have to put it on download over night and in the morning I have it, might take around 7ish hours. I know there are a lot of factors as in the upload speed of the file but I'm frothing at the mouth wanting the ftth.

Marlow wrote: »
    Real good example: RTE Player ... it's sh!t with a slow connection. It's still sh!t with 1000 Mbit/s. ... because RTE doesn't have the bandwidth to deliver the service in the first place.

/M

Amen to that, unless its a 200px wide window its unwatchable.

• Advertisement

I was just browsing the eir website yesterday and it was saying how long for a file to download with the 150, 300 and 1000. One of the ones was 15gb file - 2 minutes. I'm like holy fk. If I want a file that size now, I have to put it on download over night and in the morning I have it, might take around 7ish hours. I know there are a lot of factors as in the upload speed of the file but I'm frothing at the mouth wanting the ftth.

Maybe if the server has a 10gbit card (actually I run a server with a 10gbit card lol), else like the majority of websites that run on 100/10 (at worst) and more normal 1000/100 but that is shared between all visitors.
    So ideal situation yeah, reality nope

Download a Ubuntu DVD or Blueray ISO from Heanet. Then do it again, when you get FTTH. The same file. That way you have something to compare.

/M

Download a Ubuntu DVD or Blueray ISO from Heanet. Then do it again, when you get FTTH. The same file. That way you have something to compare.

/M

LOL case in point!

/M

Shockingly slow or night and day super fast ? I've download linux iso's in the past but it was peer to peer.

The things I want it for is, peer to peer, gaming for the kids (multiple consoles,) youtube (multiple users,) Iptv.

I used to have 220mbs with upc going back to 2012, then it all went downhill from there. 8mbs now and if anyone hogs the broadband, everyone suffers.

Downloading an extremely large ISO using Peer-to-peer technology you may actually manage to max a FTTH connection.

/M

Shockingly slow or night and day super fast ? I've download linux iso's in the past but it was peer to peer.

The things I want it for is, peer to peer, gaming for the kids (multiple consoles,) youtube (multiple users,) Iptv.

I used to have 220mbs with upc going back to 2012, then it all went downhill from there. 8mbs now and if anyone hogs the broadband, everyone suffers.

https://testmy.net/hoststats/heanet_limited

Downloading an extremely large ISO using Peer-to-peer technology you may actually manage to max a FTTH connection.

/M

Very different from a single source download site, peer to peer is multiples of different connections.
    Gaming with FTTH is a different story - your ping is tiny (but assuming not too many hops).
    IPTV - probably max speed you need is 20mbps

/M

I can quite easily max my 300Mb connection without using P2P.

• Advertisement

I don't know what you think that proves but you've obviously never heard of CDNs

https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/serving-100-gbps-from-an-open-connect-appliance-cdb51dda3b99

Typical heanet download speeds.

Netflix is a whole different story

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement