Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fritzelly wrote: »
    Typical heanet download speeds.

Netflix is a whole different story

No it's not. What you've posted is where Heanet is the ISP so it could be an amalgamation of ****ty connections in rural schools for all you know. Heanet's ftp site has 10Gb/s connectivity to INEX and maxes my connection no problem. I expect it would max a 1Gb connection easily also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No it's not. What you've posted is where Heanet is the ISP so it could be an amalgamation of ****ty connections in rural schools for all you know. Heanet's ftp dits has 10Gb/s connectivity to INEX and maxes my connection no problem. I expect it would max a 1Gb connection easily also.

They do not have blanket 10gbps connections. Why would they when most people accessing them can barely hit 10mbps.
    Most people would not even be using them for FTP unless they were needing to download larger files.
    You are not making a case point for the average user on FTTH where being a ***ty ISP would be the norm not dedicated server access to their fastest servers.

They do not have blanket 10gbps connections. Why would they when most people accessing them can barely hit 10mbps.
    Most people would not even be using them for FTP unless they were needing to download larger files.
    You are not making a case point for the average user on FTTH where being a ***ty ISP would be the norm not dedicated server access

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    The average usage on FTTH is 2-3 Mbit/s per user. That's about it.

The system just doesn't get stressed, because most services can't even deliver to saturate the FTTH connections.

Real good example: RTE Player ... it's sh!t with a slow connection. It's still sh!t with 1000 Mbit/s. ... because RTE doesn't have the bandwidth to deliver the service in the first place.

The slower broadband systems get expecially haunted with the pirated dodgy-boxes, because the people who offer those services don't encode the stream properly. So you basically get a raw 20 Mbit/s stream, that never gets to buffer.

Properly encoded IPTV is like 20-50 mbit/s bursts and then near to nothing for 30-60 seconds. 720p should not take up more than 2-4 Mbit/s. If encoded correctly.

/M

yeah but what about real time tho ? - I would rather guage for myself how RTE player and streamable media reacts in real life rather than in mbits etc

at the moment and I cannot gauge (because I am stuck with a low speed unstable connection that can change from hour to hour depending which time of the day) - I still think the videos I will stream from youtube/rteplayer etc will play a lot better than the buffering I am getting at the moment.

When I physically eventually get my 150mbps connection in this house I will get back with the real experience verdict

I was just browsing the eir website yesterday and it was saying how long for a file to download with the 150, 300 and 1000. One of the ones was 15gb file - 2 minutes. I'm like holy fk. If I want a file that size now, I have to put it on download over night and in the morning I have it, might take around 7ish hours. I know there are a lot of factors as in the upload speed of the file but I'm frothing at the mouth wanting the ftth.

yep - i want it because I rely on the internet not just for the entertainment part and social media but because i use it for my business as well . I can get by with my speeds but it would just be so much handier if stuff would load down a hell of a lot quicker than it does at present

• Advertisement

Shockingly slow or night and day super fast ? I've download linux iso's in the past but it was peer to peer.

The things I want it for is, peer to peer, gaming for the kids (multiple consoles,) youtube (multiple users,) Iptv.

I used to have 220mbs with upc going back to 2012, then it all went downhill from there. 8mbs now and if anyone hogs the broadband, everyone suffers.

God i bet thats tough going from 220mbs back to 8 , that must have felt terrible (and highly frustrating) - just trying to think of that saying, what is it something like "you never miss what you never had" but in your case you had it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No it's not. What you've posted is where Heanet is the ISP so it could be an amalgamation of ****ty connections in rural schools for all you know. Heanet's ftp site has 10Gb/s connectivity to INEX and maxes my connection no problem. I expect it would max a 1Gb connection easily also.

HEANETs mirrors are NOT running at normal speeds recently from my use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »

It depends if you're connecting using IPv4 or IPv6. They have a commercial load balancing solution .... the only problem: it only does IPv4.

Originally it was actually only one of the servers in the mirror, that responded to IPv6. I think it's a few now. But it's nowhere the same capacity.

/M

It was down completely for well over a day a couple of weeks ago. I guess they are still having issues. The graph fritzelly posted has no relevance to this discussion though.

Marlow wrote: »
    It depends if you're connecting using IPv4 or IPv6. They have a commercial load balancing solution .... the only problem: it only does IPv4.

That might have been it.

• Advertisement

I just tried there myself and something is not right as you say. Traffic very bursty and did not saturate the connection as it usually would. I checked and it was actually down for two days in November so something went catastrophically wrong. I haven't been on the site since then until tonight so I can only surmise that they are linked.

https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1811&L=HEANET-FAULTS&P=506

Although with JDownloader it is fine :confused:

470598.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

God i bet thats tough going from 220mbs back to 8 , that must have felt terrible (and highly frustrating) - just trying to think of that saying, what is it something like "you never miss what you never had" but in your case you had it!

It did feel bad going back, but it was worse than that. When I originally moved eircom/eir couldn't find the line into the house so I didn't know what speeds I could get until I actually moved and got the service installed. It was 4mbs originally and I had to take it, but it was dropping constantly and after a few visits by local engineers they had to do something to the port at the exchange and after that was done it was at 9mbs steady and I was delighted. But yes I'm looking forward to getting back to the good times!

Just a pity they are telling me it's available now when it's not :D

Great news, you can get eir fibre ultra!
    Choose the bundle that works for you.
    We checked 091-******
    Not your number? Start again.

Speeds of up to 1000Mb are available at your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I can quite easily max my 300Mb connection without using P2P.
    I'm finding it very hard to max out the 935Mb download speed, but dead easy to max out the upload speed of 200Mb.

But, as Marlow points out, it is used like that a tiny fraction of the time.

KOR101 wrote: »
    I'm finding it very hard to max out the 935Mb download speed, but dead easy to max out the upload speed of 200Mb.

Wrong thread ? OpenEIR is only 100 Mbit/s upload on the Gig :)

/M

Well there's a hive of activity just outside my garden today, good to see it. Open eir arrived in 3 vehicles, the green van pulling a big spool of fibre cable and 2 white vans with hoists. Prior to today, there was a pole with the spool of black cable but the road wasn't wired with the fibre cable. Well they are after milling the whole road out of it with the fibre cable, it's right down to where the green rural line stops. Now they are at the pole across from me where the black spool of cable is. They are very fast at getting it done.

For those with the knowledge, I'm down for the 7th of feb for an install, with the road fully wired and now they are putting in the dp's, does it look likely for the 7th for me, or still too early to tell ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Had a look inside the ETU last night to see if there was any drawstring for the ducting. It looks like the white phone line goes straight up into the attic, then along the rafters to the middle of the house where the wall jack is.

Are they going to have to drill through to the other side of the wall to bring the fibre optic cable straight through because they don't want to install in attics? There's no plugs on the other side now that I've actually checked which box is which, I thought it was the other box but that's for the electricity.

RU421Xu.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Posted a few weeks back that they had started the ducting part of the job. Got home this evening and i see all the fiber strung on the poles. Starting to take shape. 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Had a look inside the ETU last night to see if there was any drawstring for the ducting. It looks like the white phone line goes straight up into the attic, then along the rafters to the middle of the house where the wall jack is.

Are they going to have to drill through to the other side of the wall to bring the fibre optic cable straight through because they don't want to install in attics? There's no plugs on the other side now that I've actually checked which box is which, I thought it was the other box but that's for the electricity.

RU421Xu.jpg?1

Yep they're going to drill straight through and fit on otherside if there's no power socket near they'll probably drill at side of etu lip and tack cable along wall across to another side and put through. If there's slack and you know where the other end of that internal cabling is you may be able to get it pulled more often than not that usually just gets stuck on the blocks at top of the wall in house and it's given up on.
    Again prep your site. If you do get the difficult parts sorted you'll get it done the way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

I can quite easily max my 300Mb connection without using P2P.

Looking for some ideas on a little problem I am experiencing. I am on 300mbps download package with Eir but only get 150down on a hardwire test with Gigabit card on PC, cat6 cable etc. (All the guidance from here came in handy)

Eir sent a tech to the house and he verified that connection is sound at the DP but I still only get 150down. Eir technical support have been professional on the phone etc. and have arranged a second visit.

Anyone heard of a similar issue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What speed do you get exactly? If you are on the wrong profile (150) you should be getting between 144 - 147 in speed tests.
    What browser, what speed test and what server?

• Advertisement

Looking for some ideas on a little problem I am experiencing. I am on 300mbps download package with Eir but only get 150down on a hardwire test with Gigabit card on PC, cat6 cable etc. (All the guidance from here came in handy)

Eir sent a tech to the house and he verified that connection is sound at the DP but I still only get 150down. Eir technical support have been professional on the phone etc. and have arranged a second visit.

What upload speed do you get on tests?

Is it a Dell ?

Who are you testing with?
    A bad splice would affect the speed but tech has already ruled that out

Is it a Dell ?

Just out of interest whether his is a dell or not, is there bugs with the dell ? I'm just in the process of ordering a dell. There is 10% off til the 20th and I'm 99% going to pull the trigger and order from dell.ie

Just out of interest whether his is a dell or not, is there bugs with the dell ? I'm just in the process of ordering a dell. There is 10% off til the 20th and I'm 99% going to pull the trigger and order from dell.ie

Piece of software called SmartyByte. Purge it with extreme prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If the download speed maxes at very close to 150 Mbps, I would be suspecting that I was actually subscribed to that package even though I Was paying for 300.

Piece of software called SmartyByte. Purge it with extreme prejudice.

Thanks for that. I'm actually using a dell laptop now that I got around this time last year. Just had a look and that SmartByte is installed on it. uninstalling now!

Is it a Dell ?

Spooky :eek:

Who are you testing with?
    A bad splice would affect the speed but tech has already ruled that out

It would not affect the speed. It either works or it doesn't.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    If the download speed maxes at very close to 150 Mbps, I would be suspecting that I was actually subscribed to that package even though I Was paying for 300.

Nope. Lots of other factors. That's why the upload speed is a much better indicator.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement