Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

ED E wrote: »
    Piece of software called SmartyByte. Purge it with extreme prejudice.

I have to say thanks for this information again. Right now I have 8mbs speed while I wait for the FTTH. I hit 8mbs on my main pc wired no problem. But on my laptop, the max I've hit is 5mbs, I put it down to distance or interference or network card etc...
    I just uninstalled that SmartByte drivers and services and now I'm hitting the 8mbs on my laptop after multiple speed tests. It was causing issues somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It would not affect the speed. It either works or it doesn't.

Brave man contradicting fritz. A bad splice could degrade the line but it's not or shouldn't be common. It works or doesn't applies to the likes of kinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Brave man contradicting fritz. A bad splice could degrade the line but it's not or shouldn't be common. It works or doesn't applies to the likes of kinks.

It would degrade the optical power as measured by the KN engineer. It would not affect the speed.

Your sycophantic obsession with anyone working for an ISP is rather tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

fritzelly wrote: »

there's nothing wrong with HEAnet's network performance. This is from a box with a 1G uplink to another service provider in Dublin:

... which is pretty much line-rate 1Gbit/s from ftp.heanet.ie, once you take overhead into account. If speed testing sites are registering slow speeds when using HEAnet, it's a pretty sure bet that this would be a client-side problem rather than some performance issue on the heanet side.

Nick

there's nothing wrong with HEAnet's network performance. This is from a box with a 1G uplink to another service provider in Dublin:

... which is pretty much line-rate 1Gbit/s from ftp.heanet.ie, once you take overhead into account. If speed testing sites are registering slow speeds when using HEAnet, it's a pretty sure bet that this would be a client-side problem rather than some performance issue on the heanet side.

Nick

Good man Nick. A lot of misinformed people here.

• Advertisement

Your sycophantic obsession with anyone working for an ISP is rather tiresome.
    Funny way to see it that. We're a bit in the dark when it comes to OE and a total information vacuum re SIRO so I appreciate those that fill in the blanks for us. Also was it not this thread this week where I was giving out **** about an ISP employee?
    It would degrade the optical power as measured by the KN engineer. It would not affect the speed.

What can low Rx power cause? Dropped frames. What does that do? Reduce throughput. Both ends and techs wouldnt measure it if didnt mean something :rolleyes:

Funny way to see it that. We're a bit in the dark when it comes to OE and a total information vacuum re SIRO so I appreciate those that fill in the blanks for us. Also was it not this thread this week where I was giving out **** about an ISP employee?

What can low Rx power cause? Dropped frames. What does that do? Reduce throughput. Both ends and techs wouldnt measure it if didnt mean something :rolleyes:

As long as it's above the threshold of the ONT the link should work as intended. Below the threshold and the ONT drops the connection and you get LOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I have to say thanks for this information again. Right now I have 8mbs speed while I wait for the FTTH. I hit 8mbs on my main pc wired no problem. But on my laptop, the max I've hit is 5mbs, I put it down to distance or interference or network card etc...
    I just uninstalled that SmartByte drivers and services and now I'm hitting the 8mbs on my laptop after multiple speed tests. It was causing issues somehow.

I take all DELL bloatware off - well bar quickset and a couple of other things , they run a lot better afterwards

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The first thing I take off any new PC is Windows. Improves performance no end.

I take all DELL bloatware off - well bar quickset and a couple of other things , they run a lot better afterwards

I do the same, in fact I go a step further just to make sure. Instead of 'resetting or refreshing,' windows 10, I download it (windows 10) to usb and reformat off that to make sure there is no bloatware. I done the same to this laptop. I doubt it got installed from windows updates, so how it got on here I don't know. I'm glad I know for future ref though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

As long as it's above the threshold of the ONT the link should work as intended. Below the threshold and the ONT drops the connection and you get LOS.

ED E can't handle it when somebody has more knowledge on ISP tech. Enjoying your posts Dominique Loud Waistband keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Marlow wrote: »
    Nope. Lots of other factors. That's why the upload speed is a much better indicator.

/M

I think it would be a bit of a coincidence if those other factors magically limited the speed to almost exactly 150. But yes, obviously the upload speed would be a better indication. As I said, that's what 'I' would be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Looking for some ideas on a little problem I am experiencing. I am on 300mbps download package with Eir but only get 150down on a hardwire test with Gigabit card on PC, cat6 cable etc. (All the guidance from here came in handy)

Eir sent a tech to the house and he verified that connection is sound at the DP but I still only get 150down. Eir technical support have been professional on the phone etc. and have arranged a second visit.

Anyone heard of a similar issue ?

Is it a Dell ?
    Tested on non Dell Pc. Upload ca. 40mbps?

Looking for some ideas on a little problem I am experiencing. I am on 300mbps download package with Eir but only get 150down on a hardwire test with Gigabit card on PC, cat6 cable etc. (All the guidance from here came in handy)

Eir sent a tech to the house and he verified that connection is sound at the DP but I still only get 150down. Eir technical support have been professional on the phone etc. and have arranged a second visit.

Is it a Dell ?

Is it a Dell ?

Is it a Dell ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Software called SmartyByte on your laptop is most likely at fault then.
    You are definitely on a faster profile than 150mb with that upload speed.

Is it a desktop or a laptop? Does it have a WiFi card? If so have you verified that you are actually connected by cable when you use Ethernet? Disable the WiFi on the router or on the machine when you are testing.

Piece of software called SmartyByte. Purge it with extreme prejudice.
    tuxy wrote: »

As tux says, 40 Mb tells us you weren't accidentally put on the lower profile. Even if your PC didnt come with Smartbyte it could have received it later via Dell Update and if you delete it Dell Update can put it back so keep an eye.

This is the first thing I'd check, after that confirm navis checks.

Is it a desktop or a laptop? Does it have a WiFi card? If so have you verified that you are actually connected by cable when you use Ethernet? Disable the WiFi on the router or on the machine when you are testing.

I have run tests on PC and laptop with the WiFi disabled on the router by Eir technical rep during my call.(I had disabled the WiFi on the PC in any case)

• Advertisement

As tux says, 40 Mb tells us you weren't accidentally put on the lower profile. Even if your PC didnt come with Smartbyte it could have received it later via Dell Update and if you delete it Dell Update can put it back so keep an eye.

This is the first thing I'd check, after that confirm navis checks.

Thanks I shall check this out tonight

tuxy wrote: »

Thanks I shall check this on both the PC and laptop tonight

oh my goodness I got excited then - see a white van whizz past my window and just saw the words 'connecting rural with fibre' - parked up next door. parted my curtain and took a photo then found out it was imagine LTE (whats the fibre part???) - 5 mins later yer man rung the doorbell. "New mast on the mountain and we can offer you up to 70mb/s broadband" told him i was holding out to fibre to the home and get either a 150 or 300mbps package "but is it live" he said, not yet I said "but I have been told it will be within the next month so I am holding out for that" :D

470729.jpg

470730.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Amazing new fibre to the mast technology!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Connecting rural Ireland to fibre

Via microwave

I wonder how many 'unsuspecting' members of the public he will sign up today - "ooh look at me with my new fibre connection" they will be saying in the neighbourhood.

Mind you at the moment he's offering (up to) 70mbps - and at present we presently only have up to 7Mbps VDSL and 11mbps or 20mbps FWA in this area ... so he's actually offering (quoting) the fastest download speed at present so he is winning at the moment in the speed war

Horrible service and horrible sales people from imagine. Like most sales people, if you don't know what you're talking about they will stitch you up. That guy in the pic looks like a guy who knocked into me about 7 months back. Pushy fker. Told me I'd get 70mbs - 18 month contract I think it was. I told him I was holding out for the ftth and that the 70mbs look attractive to me but the 20gb allowance is useless/sh!t. He got all offensive and told me it's plenty for me. I was trying to explain but when he knew has wasn't getting a sale just walked away and ignored me as I was talking. I really wanted to hurt that guy that day.

Horrible service and horrible sales people from imagine. Like most sales people, if you don't know what you're talking about they will stitch you up. That guy in the pic looks like a guy who knocked into me about 7 months back. Pushy fker. Told me I'd get 70mbs - 18 month contract I think it was. I told him I was holding out for the ftth and that the 70mbs look attractive to me but the 20gb allowance is useless/sh!t. He got all offensive and told me it's plenty for me. I was trying to explain but when he knew has wasn't getting a sale just walked away and ignored me as I was talking. I really wanted to hurt that guy that day.

nah, they shouldnt be like that - you still got to be civil if you work as a door to door salesperson with the general public. sure i couldnt do the job and it must be frustrating if you are out in all weathers and you dont get your commission or paid .. but still no need for it

nah, they shouldnt be like that - you still got to be civil if you work as a door to door salesperson with the general public. sure i couldnt do the job and it must be frustrating if you are out in all weathers and you dont get your commission or paid .. but still no need for it

There are some good sales people but the majority of them have no morals. I worked briefly in sales back in 2008. I lasted around 3 months and I jacked it. I hadn't got the heart to rip people off but I saw 'colleagues' laugh and joke about how much there were making off people. Since that experience I treat all sales people with contempt whether it's right or wrong. Even when I rang up for the FTTH last Monday, the girl told me it was available now. I told her it's showing available 6th Feb and she conceded it's showing that for her too.

• Advertisement

There are some good sales people but the majority of them have no morals. I worked briefly in sales back in 2008. I lasted around 3 months and I jacked it. I hadn't got the heart to rip people off but I saw 'colleagues' laugh and joke about how much there were making off people. Since that experience I treat all sales people with contempt whether it's right or wrong. Even when I rang up for the FTTH last Monday, the girl told me it was available now. I told her it's showing available 6th Feb and she conceded it's showing that for her too.

the recent experience I had of that was last summer when the eir rep came a knocking at my door - he said FTTH was showing up at live at my address on 'his system' - his system was a tablet in his hand.

Nice enough young chap, not too pushy. But I did have to explain a couple of times that I had checked the eir eircode checker and it said it wasnt available and not available on the airwire checker.. still get the feeling he didnt believe me back then because he kept saying it was weird that it was showing up on his system as live

EDIT: ah yeah he come back just after christmas and was trying to get me signed up to VDSL FTTC and I said "no I am still holding out out for FTTH when it finally comes" and I said to him anyway VDSL is only up the 7mbps down here and he goes "No, I just checked it a few doors up and was getting 20mbps download speed" .. again I dunno whether he was bullsh!tting just to get a sale - but airwire reports FTTC available at my address upto to 7mbps too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement