Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I take it the open eir guys finish early on a Friday, like builders ? Lots of activity around here since yesterday but they seemed to finish about 2pm today. They got the whole road wired with the fibre cable and to the left of me all down the road they got all the dp's up. I was wondering why there was no dp outside my house so I drove out and to the right, and there was loads of open eir vans with hoists putting up dps, so they are making their way towards me. They are nearly finished. I'd say on Monday they will have all the dp's up.
    On my way out today, I followed the fibre cable from my area back to the exchange and there is only 2 gaps that need to be filled in along the way with cable, and there is massive spools of fibre cable resting against farm gates where those gaps are. It's looking like the whole of this area should be done and dusted by the end of next week, well hopefully anyway. I'm still not banking on my install date of Feb 7th but I am still hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Quick one folks. I am on vodafone home mobile broadband. And the date for availability is the 6th of Feb. At what stage do vodafone know its available. In fairness to airwire its on there site. Was trying to hold out and go with them but i needed something the last few months and in fairness vodafones 4g is ok. Will go with airwire in the future. Seem to be on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Quick one folks. I am on vodafone home mobile broadband. And the date for availability is the 6th of Feb. At what stage do vodafone know its available. In fairness to airwire its on there site. Was trying to hold out and go with them but i needed something the last few months and in fairness vodafones 4g is ok. Will go with airwire in the future. Seem to be on the ball.

Vodafone have a 1TB fair usage policy and 18 month contract on ftth, go with someone else if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I wouldnt bother checking their eircode checker at https://www.vodafone.ie/home/gigabit-address-checker

because it has been saying for months that gigabit fibre is available at my eircode but its not showing on airwire or the eir eircode checker as available so i dont know how accurate the vodafone eir checker is . - When i got in touch with chat on the vodafone website they checked my eircode and confirmed it was not available even though their eircode checker says it is available at my address:

470741.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

In the process of having fibre rolled out in my area. Cable went up before xmas and engineers working 2-3 days a week since then in the area.

Had a local eir engineer in the house to check on a phone socket issue. I quizzed him about when it would be available etc. (Now shows as available on the fibrerollout website etc). What he did say, was that I would need to take out a contract for the broadband with Eir in order to get it, I am currently with vodafone, he says only Eir have access to the fibre line that was put up and Vodafone, Sky etc etc etc would not have access to it, they would only have access to the copper / dsl lines. Anyone any thoughts on this?

The engineer is a genuine fella who lives only over the road from me and I would be doubtful that he is telling me lies etc. I have PM'd the vodafone reps on boards here about it also and am awaiting an answer regarding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In the process of having fibre rolled out in my area. Cable went up before xmas and engineers working 2-3 days a week since then in the area.

Had a local eir engineer in the house to check on a phone socket issue. I quizzed him about when it would be available etc. (Now shows as available on the fibrerollout website etc). What he did say, was that I would need to take out a contract for the broadband with Eir in order to get it, I am currently with vodafone, he says only Eir have access to the fibre line that was put up and Vodafone, Sky etc etc etc would not have access to it, they would only have access to the copper / dsl lines. Anyone any thoughts on this?

The engineer is a genuine fella who lives only over the road from me and I would be doubtful that he is telling me lies etc. I have PM'd the vodafone reps on boards here about it also and am awaiting an answer regarding it.

He told you porkies .... whether deliberately or otherwise.

OpenEir sells access to other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

I wouldnt bother checking their eircode checker....

If I were you i'd try a bit harder to obfuscate your Eircode as you've not done a great job there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anyone any thoughts on this?

If you have ruled out lies then he is very ill informed about how how open eir works.
    All of the OpenEir FTTH infrastructure is open to any provider that wants to offer a service over it.

If I were you i'd try a bit harder to obfuscate your Eircode as you've not done a great job there!

He posted map images that has his location loads of times.
    He's inviting us all around for a party the day he gets FTTH installed

tuxy wrote: »
    If you have ruled out lies then he is very ill informed about how his own company works.

All of the OpenEir FTTH infrastructure is open to any provider that wants to offer a service over it.

Any idea if Eir maybe locks the line down to themselves for a period of time after it goes live in order to maybe pull in more customers and then after a period of time, they maybe open it up to the other providers?? OR is it just a matter that when its live, all providers have the ability to allow connections to the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Any idea if Eir maybe locks the line down to themselves for a period of time after it goes live in order to maybe pull in more customers and then after a period of time, they maybe open it up to the other providers?? OR is it just a matter that when its live, all providers have the ability to allow connections to the line.

Not allowed.

All providers get a months notice of live date IIRC.

Download limit on the package i have is 150g per month and speeds are good so ill manage to live with the 1Tb. Anyway probably impossible to get out of contract now. Its coming as as available on the airwire checker system from the 6th of February. Will Vodafone's system show as available or have i to ring them regularly.

thats my weakness obfuscating stuff ....

Yes much to my surprise openeir have been treating all providers equally for FTTH.
    In fact it often works out better not going with Eir because if their are complications it can be up to the provider to put pressure on openeir to sort it out and Eir retail are not very competent when it comes to following up on issues.

He posted map images that has his location loads of times.
    He's inviting us all around for a party the day he gets FTTH installed

sure - dont forget to bring a bottle to wet the baby's head :D

Download limit on the package i have is 150g per month and speeds are good so ill manage to live with the 1Tb. Anyway probably impossible to get out of contract now. Its coming as as available on the airwire checker system from the 6th of February. Will Vodafone's system show as available or have i to ring them regularly.

Every provider gets regular updates from OpenEir. Airwire then update their own database every week.
    Vodoafone don't update their own lists as frequently but since you know you are now on the main OpenEir list it should show up the next time Vodafone does a update.

Yes much to my surprise openeir have been treating all providers equally for FTTH.
    In fact it often works out better not going with Eir because if their are complications it can be up to the provider to put pressure on openeir to sort it out and Eir retail are not very competent when it comes to following up on issues.

TBH I would go without before I would take out a contract with Eir! Left them about 8 years ago after been billed twice what I should have been and some serious hassle to get a refund. No issues with Vodafone whatsoever...thankfully.

And yes I would agree about been with a different provider in case of issues so that it is then their responsibility to keep the pressure on Eir to resolve things.

Grand job.
    Helpful folk as alway thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Eir and OpenEIR have nothing to do with each other these days ... They are not even supposed to talk directly to each other. They may be in the same building, but on different floors. The only time, they'd be in the same room is in the cantine.

OpenEIR owns, runs and maintains the network.

Eir is just a provider.

The only thing they have in common is the parent company.

Any partner on OpenEIR has the same access to the network as Eir retail. Here is a list of providers that DIRECTLY can install the line and sell you broadband on the OpenEIR network: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Not all of these offer FTTH, but at least 10 do. The installer you talked to either told you porkies or was completely clueless.

But the thing of having to order through Eircom first and then being able to transfer has been done away with a decade ago or so.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

He told you porkies .... whether deliberately or otherwise.

Eir sells access to other providers.

He's either confused or has some misplaced loyalty to Eir retail. There's absolutely no need to be in an Eir Retail contract and any of the providers using OpenEir FTTH can connect you. Also, the engineer's employed by / through OpenEir not Eir retail. I think some of them just have some notion that they're still working for Telecom Éireann and everyone else is an 'upstart'. Whether you buy your ISP service from Eir retail, Vodafone, Digiweb or whoever shouldn't make any odds to someone working for OpenEir. They're all the same thing from their point of view.

• Advertisement

i have had opposite experience in the past. When i was with eir and phone line /broadband packed up they were out pretty quick and replaced wall jack socket and connection on the pole (water got in) - but when i was with Vodafone at home once I couldnt believe the support told me it was an eircom fault and to get in touch with eircom and then when I repoted the fault with eircom of course I got the "you are not an eircom customer so we cannot help you" it was a bloody headache, and finally vodafone at home got eircom to come out and fix it. But not as quick as when i was an eircom customer . Maybe its different these days but thats the experience i had years ago.

Marlow wrote: »

But the thing of having to order through Eircom first and then being able to transfer has been done away with a decade ago or so.

/M

Was he in his 50s? Perhaps he's an old Telecom Eireann employee. I've heard lots of misinformation from these guys. I don't think it's deliberate lies but they have no interest in the job and only update their knowledge to the bare minimum to get by.

i have had opposite experience in the past. When i was with eir and phone line /broadband packed up they were out pretty quick and replaced wall jack socket and connection on the pole (water got in) - but when i was with Vodafone at home once I couldnt believe the support told me it was an eircom fault and to get in touch with eircom and then when I repoted the fault with eircom of course I got the "you are not an eircom customer so we cannot help you" it was a bloody headache, and finally vodafone at home got eircom to come out and fix it. But not as quick as when i was an eircom customer . Maybe its different these days but thats the experience i had years ago.

If you're talking about back before the Eir Retail and OpenEir split then that was common enough back then.
    Very different now though.

If you're talking about back before the Eir Retail and OpenEir split then that was common enough back then.
    Very different now though.

It goes so far, that the installer doesn't even know which provider he's installing for. OpenEIR does that to prevent preferential treatment.

The only reason an installer would know, which provider ordered the line is based on which router he's supplying. And that's very few they do that for.

/M

<snipped> Eir and OpenEIR have nothing to do with each other these days ... They are not even supposed to talk directly to each other. ......</snipped>

/M

do you think that should be the way that it should be ? - i know thats the way it is now but i dont think it helps things

and of course most of the consumers in ireland wouldl think eir and Openeir will be one of the same thing and work tightly in conjunction with eachother

do you think that should be the way that it should be ? - i know thats the way it is now but i dont think it helps things

It does help because I've yet to hear of a case where open eir give eir retail preferential treatment.

Except maybe their pricing structure but that's a hard case to prove.

Why on earth do you think it doesn't help ?

It has made a massive difference to how things work. And it should have been done before Telecom Eireann was sold off.

/M

Why on earth do you think it doesn't help ?

It has made a massive difference to how things work. And it should have been done before Telecom Eireann was sold off.

/M

no, I was just meaning Customer is an eir retail customer - they require something done by OpenEir ... but cannot understand that eir and openeir are not closely knit and automatically think eir and openeir work together as one company and speak to eachother and get issues sorted out ... er and think they are the same ... er because the name has 'eir' in it :)

no, I was just meaning Customer is an eir retail customer - they require something done by OpenEir ... but cannot understand that eir and openeir are not closely knit and automatically think eir and openeir work together as one company and speak to eachother and get issues sorted out ... er and think they are the same ... er because the name has 'eir' in it :)

That's the customers problem. The customer should educate themselves better, before signing up to any provider. "Assuming" and gospel on the street is not a valid way or research.

/M

• Advertisement

That's the customers problem. The customer should educate themselves better, before signing up to any provider. "Assuming" and gospel on the street is not a valid way or research.

/M

nah mate as if! :D

everyone should also read the small print of any contract before they sign but we all know that's not the case - anyway we dont want the public educating themselves too much ye never know what it could lead to :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement