Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Will they always use existing ducting to enter the house? My current line comes in through ducting under the front garden. But all the other houses on my road are from pole to house.

I'd really rather keep it that way rather than having a line to the attic.

Still a month or til it's available but I'm planning ahead.

If they can get thru it ok, else they may suggest a pole (if viable) vs the cost to you to get it unblocked/replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Will they always use existing ducting to enter the house? My current line comes in through ducting under the front garden. But all the other houses on my road are from pole to house.

I'd really rather keep it that way rather than having a line to the attic.

Still a month or til it's available but I'm planning ahead.

Overhead is up to your choice and only available, if you're within 50m of the pole.

They can use the existing ducting, if it's no blocked, but they won't pull your copper wiring out of it. If you have a draw-string in beforehand, you're on to a winner.

Or you can put your own ducting down beforehand. They will be using that.

Another important thing to know: if you have existing ducting and the ducting is being used, the ONT will be installed at the master socket in your house. If that doesn't suit you, you need to have ducting or cable trays all the way to the point, where you want it installed before the installer comes. And have a drawstring in them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

Marlow wrote: »

Another important thing to know: if you have existing ducting and the ducting is being used, the ONT will be installed at the master socket in your house. If that doesn't suit you, you need to have ducting or cable trays all the way to the point, where you want it installed before the installer comes. And have a drawstring in them.

/M

The ONT connects to the Router/modem using standard Cat 5E cable. I wanted to position the router in a different room from where the ONT would be located so I set up a Cat 5 link between the 2 rooms.I did this before the KN installer arrived and terminated the Cat5E on the wall next to where I had predrilled a hole with a draw string to the attic for the fibre cable to be pulled down.This way the KN installer could put the ONT where it suited him and I could put the Router next to the switch and desktop PC so that I had gigabit capability across my existing network.

badaj0z wrote: »
    The ONT connects to the Router/modem using standard Cat 5E cable. I wanted to position the router in a different room from where the ONT would be located so I set up a Cat 5 link between the 2 rooms.I did this before the KN installer arrived and terminated the Cat5E on the wall next to where I had predrilled a hole with a draw string to the attic for the fibre cable to be pulled down.This way the KN installer could put the ONT where it suited him and I could put the Router next to the switch and desktop PC so that I had gigabit capability across my existing network.

Jup. That works, too.

Just be aware, that the KN guys won't do attic installations. So if you run it through the attic, you'd need a duct from where the fiber is supposed to go into the attic and to where it comes out of the attic ... with a draw string in it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So will they contact me closer to the time to discuss options?

I have a friend who works in the industry who could probably help me preparing ducting in advance. He repaired the ducting before too when the guy installing drainage in the garden managed to chop through it so he should know what I have and what may be needed.

• Advertisement

So will they contact me closer to the time to discuss options?

I have a friend who works in the industry who could probably help me preparing ducting in advance. He repaired the ducting before too when the guy installing drainage in the garden managed to chop through it so he should know what I have and what may be needed.

No. As their video says, the first visit is treated as a survey.

So:
    -if you've everything prepared, you'll get installed
    -if you've done nothing and there's issues, they point out what to do, leave and leave it to you to fix ... unless it's something to be done on their side.

They don't discuss beforehand. That's why the ducting guideline is so important to read.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

ninja 12 wrote: »
    I thought I'd try the Eir broadband checker a little while ago .

Typed in my eircode ( as I've done many times already ) and got the following -

Checked with my phone number and got the following -

"Great news , FTTH is available"

I checked the airwire checker as well , and got "Available "
    Previously , it said available on May 9th .

Tried the Eir online chat with sales , and now have FTTH ordered :D:D

Ordered " eir Fibre Extreme unlimited up to 300Mb "

They reckon 5 days for install ( we'll see )

Strangely , the fibrerollout.ie site still says "first half of 2018" , even though Digiweb , Airwire and Eir sales (including Eir Site ) all say available .

:D:D:D:D:D:D

A little update on the order I made last Saturday .

I received a follow up call on Monday from Eir to confirm details .
    I was told that I'd get a phone call about installation details by the end of the week .

Heard nothing so thought I'd give them a ring today (Friday )

I was told
    Yes , we can see your order on our system .
    It's down as a pre-order and you'll get a call from the installer on May 9th to arrange an installation date.

I thought that was strange so checked both the Eir site as well as the Airwire checker .

The Eir checker says "available" as it did before .

The Airwire checker now says " Available May 9th " When I ordered , it said " Available " Must have been a glitch on the day I ordered as previously is said " May 9th "

Still counting down the days , hopefully less than two weeks to go ......

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

ninja 12 wrote: »
    The Airwire checker now says " Available May 9th " When I ordered , it said " Available " Must have been a glitch on the day I ordered as previously is said " May 9th "

We were updating the checker last weekend, so it may have ignored the ready for order dates at some point during that update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Order placed :) chose the 9th for installation. Here’s hoping. Went for 1000mb

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

No. As their video says, the first visit is treated as a survey.

So:
    -if you've everything prepared, you'll get installed
    -if you've done nothing and there's issues, they point out what to do, leave and leave it to you to fix ... unless it's something to be done on their side.

They don't discuss beforehand. That's why the ducting guideline is so important to read.

/M

I cleared all my bushes and trees today, and now have a clear run to a pol in my property.

The phone wire then goes underground, into a duct, into a neighbours field, and on to another pole about 60m away where it goes up the pole, then overhead to the house next door, and back underground, into my property to the manhole at my house, where it goes through my wall and upstairs into my office.

Theres no drawstring available. So I'm wondering whats the most likely situation there.

The pole in my property is about 40 m away from my gable wall, so the cable takes the longest route to my house, cos the house next door was serviced first.

Is it more likely that they would just overhead to my gable wall from the pole in my property as the shortest route?

• Advertisement

AidenL wrote: »
    I cleared all my bushes and trees today, and now have a clear run to a pol in my property.

The phone wire then goes underground, into a duct, into a neighbours field, and on to another pole about 60m away where it goes up the pole, then overhead to the house next door, and back underground, into my property to the manhole at my house, where it goes through my wall and upstairs into my office.

Theres no drawstring available. So I'm wondering whats the most likely situation there.

The pole in my property is about 40 m away from my gable wall, so the cable takes the longest route to my house, cos the house next door was serviced first.

Is it more likely that they would just overhead to my gable wall from the pole in my property as the shortest route?

Whats a pol?

I think you should explain that to the tech that comes out to do the install and take a pic of his face to post here

Are you saying the connection to your house is using your neighbours ducting?
    Think you may have problems getting another cable thru that.

Pole!

Nope, both houses are served from the same pole, I have my own duct from the pole, the neighbours have an overhead from the pole.

That pole which serves us both has an underground duct to it from the pole in my garden.

Be simpler to go to my house overhead from the pole in my garden,

Pole!

LOL, too many beers for my brains auto correct to kick in

Totally bemused by this and I guess the tech will be, sounds like there are so many things that could go wrong there. But seriously take a pic of the tech when he comes out and you explain that to him!

All depending on how fussy you are about it. If the span differences are less than 50m between poles and from pole to house ... all failing .. you can always go overhead.

Poles that already are in place tend to be honored. I've seen KN having to run 4 spans along the road from the DP to the pole servicing a house to even get a connection. They can't argue on that one.

As long the poles (or cabling) isn't covered by trees. A radius of at least 1m around where the fibre is going to be strung has to be clear.

/M

That’s great!

I paid a guy 300 quid today to get me that 1m clearance, so hope it goes well for me.

There’s a black coil of duct sitting at the pole outside my gate, will take a pic tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The sister got her install last week. Original survey call found some boughs in the way. A bit of sawing and the route from the pole to the house was clear.
    I asked technical questions about speed etc. and got that glazed look and the answer of "lightning fast". :)

The sister got her install last week. Original survey call found some boughs in the way. A bit of sawing and the route from the pole to the house was clear.
    I asked technical questions about speed etc. and got that glazed look and the answer of "lightning fast". :)

It's fiber. What you buy, is what you get.

The only way that it would get contended if all of your neighbors bought 1000 Mbit/s connections.

It's the same speed, no matter if you're 2m from the exchange or 20km.

This is why FTTC .... essentially VDSL ... should not be called eFiber or Fiber or anything like fiber. Because the distance from cab to house is still copper and speed varies on how crap it is.

With FTTH the only issue is how sh!t your router is, how sh!t or old your computer is, how much crap is on your computer, how many people are using your connection and if you try to get a connection wirelessly from one side of your house to the other.

If you're wired to the FTTH connection with a decent PC and the only user connected, you'll nearly always see near the full speed. ... unless your ISP has other problems.

/M

She couldn't tell me what package they ordered, I think the excitement of getting decent broadband eventually was too much.:)
    Considering she's living down a bohreen in the countryside it's a fair achievement to get high speed internet.

She couldn't tell me what package they ordered, I think the excitement of getting decent broadband eventually was too much.:)
    Considering she's living down a bohreen in the countryside it's a fair achievement to get high speed internet.

8 out of 10 users don't know, what they actually have bought. They only look at the bottom line of the bill and take for granted what the sales guy tells them.

It's sad.

But with FTTH it can't go completely wrong. Worst case you end up paying 83 EUR/month to Eir after a year :D .... instead of 50 EUR/month to another operator. (for the same thing that is)

/M

8 out of 10 users don't know, what they actually have bought. They only look at the bottom line of the bill and take for granted what the sales guy tells them.

It's sad.

But with FTTH it can't go completely wrong. Worst case you end up paying 83 EUR/month to Eir after a year :D .... instead of 50 EUR/month to another operator. (for the same thing that is)

/M

I'll be telling her to shop around once the contract is up.
    I pay €40 a month to Vodafone for 90mb/s. Siro contractors were surveying around my area over the last few days so it won't be too long before I get an upgrade.

• Advertisement

It's sad.

/M

Weird thing in Ireland, get customers on cheap rate then feck them over instead of just giving a decent rate in the first place, fair dues to airwire for that

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭michaelheno

Seems I can order FTTH now I have FTTC is it worthwhile going with DigiWeb over Eir for installation don’t mind paying the install fee also is it possible to keep the copper for phones

Seems I can order FTTH now I have FTTC is it worthwhile going with DigiWeb over Eir for installation don’t mind paying the install fee also is it possible to keep the copper for phones

Airwire have higher caps also, worth a look too. Great personal service from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭michaelheno

Airwire have higher caps also, worth a look too. Great personal service from them.

I am based in Mitchelstown Co.Cork I thought Airwire are only in the West

I believe they can resell Eir FTTH anywhere. Siro is more restricted.

I’m in Donegal and going with Airwire, if you PM MartinL on here, with your eircode, he can clarify.

They have good service, no hidden charges.

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Rang Vodafone during the week, they don’t sell eir ftth.

Sky do but only offer up to 100mb so if you’re looking for 100mb+, you’re gonna have to be an eir customer.

Both sky and Vodafone told me this during the week.
    Makes no odds to me as I’m already an eir customer but for people who are waiting on FTTH, keep this in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

thehorse wrote: »

Sky do but only offer up to 100mb so if you’re looking for 100mb+, you’re gonna have to be an eir customer.

Makes no odds to me as I’m already an eir customer but for people who are waiting on FTTH, keep this in mind

That is not FTTH.

That is FTTC and copper to the home, hence the inability to quote an actual speed so you get 'up to'.

thehorse wrote: »

Vodafone sell FTTC on OpenEIR. Not FTTH.
    Sky sell FTTC on OpenEIR. Not FTTH.

They may call it fiber, but it ain't. If it's up to 100 Mbit/s, then it's a copper line service, no matter what they call it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Vodafone sell FTTC on OpenEIR. Not FTTH.
    Sky sell FTTC on OpenEIR. Not FTTH.

They may call it fiber, but it ain't. If it's up to 100 Mbit/s, then it's a copper line service, no matter what they call it.

/M

FTTH is available in my area, Vodafone can’t offer anything to me as they don’t sell FTTH on the Open eir network.

IF FTTC is available in your area, then perhaps.

Any fibre rollouts now are mostly all FTTH.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

No. We can sell OpenEIR based circuits anywhere in the country.

We are a bit picky, when it comes to areas that are far from our infrastructure, because we don't want to use OpenEIRs infrastructure, but we have already got customers further south than you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement