Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

so they could in fact , if they are not going to finish these ones off before June could go back near June date and ask for another extension could they not? and keep going on and on like that and moving the goal posts further apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

so they could in fact , if they are not going to finish these ones off before June could go back near June date and ask for another extension could they not? and keep going on and on like that and moving the goal posts further apart?

They could if the extension was granted each time.
    They also face the danger of fines.

Any extension might also be refused and on-going fines imposed.

No doubt the political climate will have a lot to do with such decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The closest I saw was this from the Q1 update on 29th May 2018 on the DCCAE site

After that I think mid 2019 became the de facto completion date.

It's really not in either parties interest to highlight this too much. eir obviously won't want to pay fines but the Department and therefore the Government will come under criticism the longer it takes for this project to be completed.
    It's all very Irish.

But, as you say, it's not in anyone interest to rock the boat. The Department probably always had a fear that Eir would pull the plug.

It's hard to know what is going on with Eir. You would think they would want to finish up quickly and start the urban work. They seem, to my mind, to want to go slow and make the rural rollout appear as difficult and costly as possible in the hope of undermining the NBP or at least to ensure that it is a very costly plan and that their access fees are high.

Or else, it's just a case of Neil, who is under a small amount of financial pressure, needing to show a very good first set of financial results for Eir with costs that have been greatly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

They could if the extension was granted each time.
    They also face the danger of fines.

Any extension might also be refused and on-going fines imposed.

No doubt the political climate will have a lot to do with such decisions.

It doesn't look like they will need much more of an extension. 6 month delay based off of 2 storms - which in fact had very little to do with the delay.
    But it's an excuse and it bought them half a year. It looks as if Eir are more concerned with finishing this based off of commercial commitments rather than anything to do with fines from the government - i.e. they want to get back into the urban areas quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

When I had an Open Eir engineer out to fix my normal broadband back in about November, I told him I was down for the end of 2018 for the FTTH but due to the storms during the year when did he think it might be done. He told me eir didn't take anyone off the rural rollout to fix the damage. They hired in contractors to fix the storm damage. I don't know if that was across the board or just over this side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The storm damages were just an excuse to be honest. They were behind as it was, because it took them a long time to ramp up the manpower needed at the start of the build.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Marlow wrote: »
    The storm damages were just an excuse to be honest. They were behind as it was, because it took them a long time to ramp up the manpower needed at the start of the build.

/M

Yeah exactly - If it's only 6 months behind it won't be bad going. The storm excuse is pathetic though, typical BS from the incumbent.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

KN lads have started rolling out the overhead fiber between poles today on Fedamore exchange: another milestone:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I just want to give some positive feedback for Airwire as I got really excellent support today. I've had flawless service since my FTTH install about two months ago, but had my first outage this morning which was a glitch their end. It was sorted very quickly, I was back online but within a short space of time I had another completely unrelated outage which was very strange. The Loss of Signal (LOS) light on my ONT was flashing red indicating possibly a network issue. The guys logged the problem with OpenEir and I had an engineer call to my door within the last hour. The problem rectified itself before the engineer arrived and he could find nothing wrong in the house. Very puzzling, but the support response was excellent.

Seems some installs don't go according to plan and there could be issues at first. I know of one guy who has family working in eir in customer support and they got the FTTH installed literally before Xmas and they were delighted as you would be. But it was unusable, just up and down. It was sorted when the open eir guys got back from holidays and now it's flawless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Sky Ireland says the communications regulator's decision to change the pricing structure Eircom uses to provide competitors with access to fixed line broadband/TV infrastructure will depress customer switching and artificially inflate costs.

It also says the decisions will affect its plans for a €400m-€600m expansion of its broadband service via Eircom's current programme of rolling out high speed broadband to 300,000 premises in rural townlands.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/sky-ireland-claims-comreg-decision-to-change-eircom-pricing-will-inflate-costs-to-customers-899058.html

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

KOR101 wrote: »
    Sky Ireland says the communications regulator's decision to change the pricing structure Eircom uses to provide competitors with access to fixed line broadband/TV infrastructure will depress customer switching and artificially inflate costs.

It also says the decisions will affect its plans for a €400m-€600m expansion of its broadband service via Eircom's current programme of rolling out high speed broadband to 300,000 premises in rural townlands.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/sky-ireland-claims-comreg-decision-to-change-eircom-pricing-will-inflate-costs-to-customers-899058.html

2.50?
    That sounds almost like put a euro in my pocket to avail of service. A token cost that does not reflect anything just a simple gesture what I can say is this is likely to affect volume of work for myself on non ftth jobs as a significant portion of work is just people changing from provider a to provider b

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

babi-hrse wrote: »
    2.50?
    That sounds almost like put a euro in my pocket to avail of service. A token cost that does not reflect anything just a simple gesture what I can say is this is likely to affect volume of work for myself on non ftth jobs as a significant portion of work is just people changing from provider a to provider b

Before the pricing changes, there was a 2.50+VAT activation charge. That came on top of the installation charge, when it was a new line. Which was 270 EUR+VAT.

If it was a provider change or electronic enablement, it was 2.50+VAT to the provider and then of course the other cost (router, etc.).

As of 1.1.2019 it's 170 EUR+VAT activation charge to the provider .. and no installation fee exists anymore. That means, it doesn't matter if it's a new line, existing line or electronic enablement. It all costs the same.

And yes .. that will drive cost up for provider changes. Which is only bad for the big players ... because they're driving the constant provider changes through their pricing with their discounts. That model may not work anymore.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Darwin wrote: »
    I just want to give some positive feedback for Airwire as I got really excellent support today. I've had flawless service since my FTTH install about two months ago, but had my first outage this morning which was a glitch their end. It was sorted very quickly, I was back online but within a short space of time I had another completely unrelated outage which was very strange. The Loss of Signal (LOS) light on my ONT was flashing red indicating possibly a network issue. The guys logged the problem with OpenEir and I had an engineer call to my door within the last hour. The problem rectified itself before the engineer arrived and he could find nothing wrong in the house. Very puzzling, but the support response was excellent.

Was the PON light flashing or off when the LOS light was flashing?

PON - off and LOS - flashing means the received optical power is below the sensitivity of the ONT. Perhaps there is a loose connection or bad joint somewhere.

PON - flashing and LOS - flashing means the OLT in the exchange thinks that the ONT is rogue. Likely a serial number issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

I assume the PC and the router are directly connected by Ethernet cable with nothing like powerline adapters in between?

I also assume that you have made no changes to any router settings?

No changes
    If so it's somewhat odd that you are getting low download speed on two different machines. However you can still try some things to rule out your own hardware. From easiest to most awkward

1) Try a different browser so try IE/Edge and Firefox if you are using Chrome or vice versa.
    Choose the Blacknight server in Carlow on speedtest.net and use incognito/private browsing to test.

2) Replace the Ethernet cables between the ONT and router and the router and PC if possible. They are unlikely to be faulty but it is a slim possibility.

3) Boot Windows into safe mode with networking (Google for instructions for your particular version of Windows). Then repeat the tests in number 1)

4) If you have a spare USB stick at least 2GB in size download and install Linux Mint on the stick and boot the PC into the live Linux then repeat the tests in 1) using Firefox which is the default browser. Make sure the USB stick is empty or that you don't need the files on it as everything will be overwritten. Instructions here

https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bootable-linux-mint-usb-2202084

5) Borrow a known good machine and test it on your connection.

6) Replace the router, although eir will probably do this if they are coming out again.

Have you spoken to any of your immediate neighbours to see if any of them are on 300Mb or 1Gb packages? Are they having any issues?

Thanks for the advice and apologies for the delay in responding.

RE: I also assume that you have made no changes to any router settings?

No changes made to the configuration

1. I tried IE, Chrome and Firefox. All tested on speedtest.net using the Blacknight server in Carlow on speedtest.net and used incognito/private browsing to test - all returned same result i.e <150d/l.

2) I replaced the Ethernet cables between the ONT and router and the router and PC if possible..- returned same result i.e <150d/l.

3) I booted Windows into safe mode with networking - returned same result i.e <150d/l

4) I didnt do this as the laptop is company property and I cannot load unauthorised software....sorry.

5) Borrowed a mates PC with 1Gbps network card ...same result.

6) Replace the router..... I didnt have this option due to other things getting in the way. I thought the eir modem had to be configured by a tech in any case ?

RE : Have you spoken to any of your immediate neighbours to see if any of them are on 300Mb or 1Gb packages? Are they having any issues?

It was my friend testing his speed on wifi on another 300mbps download in the village who tipped me off in the first case as he was getting much higher speeds on someone elses house on the same package.

I know that I didnt undertake all the tests that you suggested but I thought it best to come back and give some sort of feedback at this stage.

Hopefully a tech is out soon to resolve and I will update.

Thanks for the update. That's three machines now showing the same symptoms. Ouside of a faulty router or ONT I'm starting to think this may not be on your side. I wonder if eir switched your profile for a certain time (so they could put you onto 1Gb for a few hours for example) then back to 300Mb would it rectify. I'll be interested to hear the outcome. Hopefully you get sorted.

Could it be a damaged pair on the cat5 ethernet cable.
    We can wire cat5 cable two ways 2 pair orange pins and green pins. This works adequately but can not carry gigabit speeds but perfectly suited to TV services. For ont to modem has to be wired full 4 pair cable. Maybe get a cheap lan tester and see if all 8 pins fire off in sequence? This is in response to slower speed on ftth.
    As far as I know the ont Lan light won't come on if even one pin isn't connected but I could be wrong.
    Is the modem direct ethernet cable to ont or is there data port extensions running from one point to another?
    Is there any cat5 cable running parallel to power cables That can cause drops.
    Sometimes I see electrical conduit going from one socket to a new socket with the new one being wired off as a spur of the main. People try to hide the cable in the same conduit not realising ethernet and power cables don't play well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Hi babi-hrse, thanks for your thoughts.

I have tried 3 different Ethernet cables (all of them cat6) so I don’t think it is that. I will check today if I can borrow a LAN tester.

The install set up is ONT to data port extensions, one in office plus ca 10m of KN installed cable to data port to modem in the centre of the house. My initial guess was this is where the issue was but I have bypassed this and gone direct to modem to check, still resulting in <150down.

No electrical cables running in parallel.

At this stage my guess is a modem issue but hopefully tech will be here this week. Luckily I still have great speed just not what my profile says and what I am paying for.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Thanks Martin
    Are there any advantages of not having a fixed IP address anonymity or anything?
    Any fup caps with airwire.
    Looking to take up ftth as moving to a ftth area

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Airwire never have a FUP as far as I know, they were more transparent and just had a 1 tb cap which they have since removed.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Are there any advantages of not having a fixed IP address anonymity or anything?

Not really. But by default our connections have dynamic IP. We allocate a fixed IP on request, but there is no charge.
    Any fup caps with airwire.

We don't do FUP. We specify a limit, if there is one. If there is no limit specified, it's unlimited as in "knock yourself out".

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Talk to you guys on 20th Feb:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

I was down for Summer 2018 on the fibrerollout map - yes, I know it's not being updated.

Is there any avenue I can go down in order to get a more up to date ETA, other than looking out for KN activity in the area?

Just want to ask a question about contention with the FTTH. I thought I saw some providers with zero contention and then I looked again and it was 16:1. I could be going mad but seems to be changed from 0 to 16:1. Is there contention on the rural fibre ?

I guess the chances of ever running into contention on FTTH is probably slim to none but it's just something I'd like to know.

Just want to ask a question about contention with the FTTH. I thought I saw some providers with zero contention and then I looked again and it was 16:1. I could be going mad but seems to be changed from 0 to 16:1. Is there contention on the rural fibre ?

I guess the chances of ever running into contention on FTTH is probably slim to none but it's just something I'd like to know.

You share 2.5 Gb/s down and 1.25 Gb/s up with up to 31 other premises. I have 300Mb and get full speed 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    I was down for Summer 2018 on the fibrerollout map - yes, I know it's not being updated.

Is there any avenue I can go down in order to get a more up to date ETA, other than looking out for KN activity in the area?

Nope, nada - the best any provider gets is the go live date about month prior

Bit silly to say everyone is uncontended at those speeds - have eir ever done uncontended (bar maybe some business services). There is the bandwidth limit per 32 line strand (2.5gb) - even if everyone was watching 4k Netflix movies you would have uninterrupted service. Downloading its so fast you are only using the BW for a short amount of time.

You share 2.5 Gb/s down and 1.25 Gb/s up with up to 31 other premises. I have 300Mb and get full speed 24/7.

So the chances are pretty slim to ever running into speed problems. Be interesting if there was a few heavy downloaders and all 31 slots were in use.

Thanks for the info Dominique Loud Waistband

So the chances are pretty slim to ever running into speed problems. Be interesting if there was a few heavy downloaders and all 31 slots were in use.

Thanks for the info navi

Quite unlikely in rural areas with take-up sub 30%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Be interesting if there was a few heavy downloaders and all 31 slots were in use.

Then traffic shaping comes in to play so everyone gets a fair piece of the pie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement