Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

On my local road we have FTTH since October 2017. The uptake is that at least 2 houses out of 3 having fibre connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Quite unlikely in rural areas with take-up sub 30%.

sub 30% at the moment but will eventually rise

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    I was down for Summer 2018 on the fibrerollout map - yes, I know it's not being updated.

Is there any avenue I can go down in order to get a more up to date ETA, other than looking out for KN activity in the area?

not as such , but all you can do is keep checking your eircode with airwire checker at https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Just want to ask a question about contention with the FTTH. I thought I saw some providers with zero contention and then I looked again and it was 16:1. I could be going mad but seems to be changed from 0 to 16:1. Is there contention on the rural fibre ?

I guess the chances of ever running into contention on FTTH is probably slim to none but it's just something I'd like to know.

Contention is a strange one. Where do you measure it?

What I mean is: contention ratio is nominally the total theoretical bandwidth that a group of subscribers would need if they all wanted to run their connections at full speed, versus the total amount of actual bandwidth available to them.

Let's imagine a hypothetical ISP with 1,000 FTTH customers, and let's suppose all of them are on 150Mb/s. In order to guarantee no contention, that ISP would have to have 150Gb/s capacity to the Internet, as well as being able to handle that sort of throughput on its own internal infrastructure.

Now, that's self-evidently bonkers. Such an ISP could easily get away with 10Gb/s of Internet capacity, and 10G switches. That would mean, in theory, a 15:1 contention ratio. But nobody measures it like that.

Which is why almost nobody's talking about contention ratios anymore. A well-managed provider will monitor the various parts of their network, and when any given part of it starts to look (say) 80% full on a regular basis, they'll provision more capacity in that area.

Which is not to say that you'll never encounter occasional situations where your 1Gb/s connection can't quite reach capacity: but, frankly, deal with it. If you absolutely, desperately need a guaranteed 1Gb/s connection at all times, ask your ISP to quote you for an option 1 NGN circuit.

(For the avoidance of doubt: "you" here is the generic "y'all", not you in particular DITW.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you absolutely, desperately need a guaranteed 1Gb/s connection at all times, ask your ISP to quote you for an option 1 NGN circuit.

And you will find, that it's exorbitantly expensive. The only way residential connections can be sold at the pricing they are sold is because: there can be contention.

/M

• Advertisement

yep Gpon is a shared connection alright .. the silver lining though is you are going to notice contention come into play big time on an 8mbps ADSL connection in realtime - shouldnt hardly notice it hardly at all if at all on a 1Gbs connection though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Pic of my install

471119.jpg

Got it installed Monday around 12 and had hit 1TB usage by yesterday evening

108MB/s is the fastest I've had a file come down so far, it's so fast it hasn't sunk in yet. (Zip archives, not torrents)

Lots of things only download at 20MB/s or so, no idea why.

Replaced the Eir F2000 router with a small PC running opnsense and have a Ubiquiti nanoHD accesspoint.

Still finding some quirky things like small files taking a while to start downloading, then gong at about 5MB/s. Have unbound running for DNS over tls to 1.1.1.1, I'll have to see is that adding any delay etc.

Can't speed test it with speedtest.net, only getting 500mbit mostly. Fast.com reports proper speeds as long as I do enough concurrent connections. Single connection speed is poor

Speed tests over the nanoHD to a Samsung note 9 on speedtest.net
    471120.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

108MB/s = 864 Mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

Got it installed Monday around 12 and had hit 1TB usage by yesterday evening

WTF???????????? :eek:

Ok, I have to ask, how the hell did you manage that?? That is definitely the quickest I've seen someone hit 1TB usage on this thread!! And there's been a lot of people attempting it.... :pac:

Can't speed test it with speedtest.net, only getting 500mbit mostly. ...

the art to test a 1gb internet connection on speedtest.net is to choose the correct server - but i cant remember which one it is now

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    108MB/s = 864 Mb/s
    The router stats are pegged at 930mbit, so I presume there is some overhead with SSL or something
    BandMember wrote: »
    WTF???????????? :eek:

Ok, I have to ask, how the hell did you manage that?? That is definitely the quickest I've seen someone hit 1TB usage on this thread!! And there's been a lot of people attempting it.... :pac:
    Dont know, wasn't trying to, just using the connection the way I intend to going forward
    the art to test a 1gb internet on speedtest.net is to choose the correct server - but i cant remember which one it is now
    Yeah some of the test servers are very weak, maybe 200mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Someone with a fast connection - as in greater than 150 Mbps - could try the speed tester speedof.me to see what they are capable of. Runs on Html5 not Flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

sSdIDF1.png

Yeah, speedtest is pretty unreliable some times but then again thats the limitations of the internet.

This is a 10Gb/s link, only gets 5882 mbits.

1Gb/s uplink isnt too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

m99T wrote: »
    sSdIDF1.png

Yeah, speedtest is pretty unreliable some times but then again thats the limitations of the internet.

This is a 10Gb/s link, only gets 5882 mbits.

1Gb/s uplink isnt too bad.

Show off haha

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Sigh* Is it possible that Eir support/sales have got worse since the clear out and hired new people ? I spoke with them yesterday re my FTTH install date and I could have done with some Valium after the call.

I have an install date of Feb 7th. I was driving yesterday morning and I noticed all the fibre cabling 'seems' to connecting back to the exchange. The exchange is about 5 miles away from me but to me it looks like it's complete. So when I got home I thought I'd give eir a bell and see if there might be an earlier install date if the work is done. Well, sales told me it's lucky I rang, that my order had gone into 'limbo,' and on their system is was showing as 'order pending.'

I was told the order needed to be cancelled and re-ordered. They couldn't do this apparently in sales so I had to be put through to 'loyalty.'

When I finally got through to them, they told me there was no need to cancel and re-order, this is the process. I explained I just wanted to see if there was an earlier install date. The guy was really helpful and head and shoulders above the rest. He contacted Open Eir and told me the earliest was 7th Feb and 2 or 3 days before hand an engineer would contact me re date and time etc...

A simple call turned into 1.5 hours of nonsense. The person that told me the order needed to be cancelled was a normal sales rep, but in turn clarified it with the 'team leader.'

I know Airwire is the way to go but I'm in contract for 6 more months with Eir.

I'm really over the moon I'm getting to get FTTH. Less that 2 weeks to install date, I just really hope it goes in on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You are being extremely impatient and that's the main problem here.

With the ready-for-order date of 7.2.2019 no provider will be even able to submit the order before that date.

If it goes live on the 7th, then it takes a minimum of 4 workdays for an engineer to come out after that date. That's the optimum. The very very very earliest an installation would be attempted.

This applies to ALL wholesale partners of OpenEIR. Because that's the way the system works. And if a sales person tells you something different, then they are telling you porkies.

There is no way, you can get an earlier installation than that, because OpenEIRs structures won't allow it.

Constantly ringing them, trying to find out things and poking around the order will just cause it go wrong, knowing Eirs track record.

Also .. just because the DPs are up, the fibre is brought all the way to the exchange and everything is spliced is not the work completed. The gear in the exchange needs to be installed, tested, fibre to the next exchange that is supplying the bandwidth into this one needs to be commissioned, etc. etc. etc.

Those are all things you can't physically see. And a lot of these happen after the fibre is ran along the road.

If anything goes wrong at that stage, then they end up delaying the RFO date.

/M

Thanks for the in-depth information Marlow, appreciated.

When I ordered a couple of weeks ago, the sales rep on the phone told me that as soon as all the dp's are up I can order. The date on the Airwire was available from 6th Feb, I told her this and she said she can see it too on her system (date.) She also said if I saw all the dp's and cabling up, that I should either stop and ask an Open Eir guy local and ask him if there is something they can do before the date, or to call back in the sales and see if there was an earlier date, that's what I did, I called back in. I do agree I'm impatient but I was only following on from what I was told.

The knowledge is this thread is invaluable. The way you explained it there, why can't the eir just tell it how it is, is what puzzles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Thanks for the in-depth information Marlow, appreciated.

When I ordered a couple of weeks ago, the sales rep on the phone told me that as soon as all the dp's are up I can order. The date on the Airwire was available from 6th Feb, I told her this and she said she can see it too on her system (date.) She also said if I saw all the dp's and cabling up, that I should either stop and ask an Open Eir guy local and ask him if there is something they can do before the date, or to call back in the sales and see if there was an earlier date, that's what I did, I called back in. I do agree I'm impatient but I was only following on from what I was told.

The knowledge is this thread is invaluable. The way you explained it there, why can't the eir just tell it how it is, is what puzzles me.

What makes you think someone working in sales or front line support has the slightest idea how networks are built and commissioned?

What makes you think someone working in sales or front line support has the slightest idea how networks are built and commissioned?

I have no idea to be honest, it never even entered my head. The way I see it as a whole is, I placed an order with an organization which is eir. I asked when it would be installed and I was told 7th Feb, however it's possible there is an earlier date if all the work is done and if I wanted to see if there was an earlier date I had to either call back into the sales and ask in a week or 2, or if I saw a local engineer ask him. I called back into sales.

My initial first post today was of the calamity within eir. I called to see if there was any earlier date for the FTTH. But I agree, how could they know anything about how networks are built when they can't even know how to check up on an order.

however it's possible there is an earlier date if all the work is done and if I wanted to see if there was an earlier date I had to either call back into the sales and ask in a week or 2, or if I saw a local engineer ask him. I called back into sales.

That's where you've been misinformed by sales. As Marlow has pointed out there is a strict protocol in place that has to be followed in relation to exchanges going live. The fact you were told different shows they have no idea what they are talking about.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if there is any kind of rate limiting after you hit a certain amount of traffic with Eir?

Getting consistently limited to 490mbits the last few hours, and after doing the usual power cycling everything and trying many different hosts and tests etc all coming out at a pretty solid 490.... would Eir be limiting, or should I keep looking for an issue my end

still uploading at 100mbits

only hit about 2.5TB usage, not a crazy high number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Anyone know if there is any kind of rate limiting after you hit a certain amount of traffic with Eir?

Getting consistently limited to 490mbits the last few hours, and after doing the usual power cycling everything and trying many different hosts and tests etc all coming out at a pretty solid 490.... would Eir be limiting, or should I keep looking for an issue my end

Saturday evening......the entire internet creaks!

KOR101 wrote: »
    Saturday evening......the entire internet creaks!

strange though its exactly 490/500 its limited to though no? first weekend anyway so I'll see if it sorts itself after!

50MB/s is still fast enough for the moment :)

I think you know otherwise.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think you know otherwise.

what?

what?

2.5 TB in 6 days is a crazy high number. That's about 3 months of my household usage with 3 adults.

According to Comreg data for Q3 2018 there were 75126 FTTP subscriptions using a total of 37181505GB for an average of 495GB per subscription for the quarter. This would give a monthly figure of 165GB. That seems quite low. Can any of the ISPs posting here give an average monthly data usage figure on FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

According to Comreg data for Q3 2018 there were 75126 FTTP subscriptions using a total of 37181505GB for an average of 495GB per subscription for the quarter. This would give a monthly figure of 165GB. That seems quite low. Can any of the ISPs posting here give an average monthly data usage figure on FTTH?

TBH thats not super surprising, a lot of older/less techy subs still just use it for email etc but now the pictures don't take 30s to load. If you graphed it I suspect you'd have a U shape with peaks at 10-20GB and 500+.

Would also be interested in any light ISPs could shed.

cnocbui wrote: »
    2.5 TB in 6 days is a crazy high number. That's about 3 months of my household usage with 3 adults.

If you have used 2.5TB on 3 months on a 1000 ftth package then you are wasting money.

If you are on a lower package then maybe consider someone on the 1000 package has a different usage than you.

But a crazy high number is not 2.5TB. 1TB of that is upload, backing up stuff online I previously wasnt able to because of 70kB/s upload

Anyway I'm still not sure I am not being limited to 500/490 mbits download.. still watching to see if speed will go back to normal during the week

• Advertisement

If you have used 2.5TB on 3 months on a 1000 ftth package then you are wasting money.

If you are on a lower package then maybe consider someone on the 1000 package has a different usage than you.

But a crazy high number is not 2.5TB. 1TB of that is upload, backing up stuff online I previously wasnt able to because of 70kB/s upload

Anyway I'm still not sure I am not being limited to 500/490 mbits download.. still watching to see if speed will go back to normal during the week

Have you tried putting back the F2000 to rule out the router you replaced it with?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement