Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you tried putting back the F2000 to rule out the router you replaced it with?

OR T/Sing the software firewall?

EG: https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=6590.0

As its software router you can have more dynamic behavior than a SoC SOHO box will give you. Id look at link power control/energy efficiency settings first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Have you tried putting back the F2000 to rule out the router you replaced it with?
    ED E wrote: »
    OR T/Sing the software firewall?

EG: https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=6590.0

As its software router you can have more dynamic behavior than a SoC SOHO box will give you. Id look at link power control/energy efficiency settings first.

I'll try both of those things starting with going back to the f2000 in the coming days. Its sitting at 490mbits and was at 930 before, just gets to that speed then flat lines until the end of the download / test

The f2000 originally wasnt getting more than 700-900 but if I could hit that speed again I could at least single out the new router as being a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

As fast as FTTH is it still has contention just beacuse of the way the technology works.
    While 1 TB is way too small for many people do you think it was short sighted for ISP to either have a 1 TB FUP or no FUP at all.
    Would a more reasonable FUP be a better solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

tuxy wrote: »
    As fast as FTTH is it still has contention just beacuse of the way the technology works.
    While 1 TB is way too small for many people do you think it was short sighted for ISP to either have a 1 TB FUP or no FUP at all.
    Would a more reasonable FUP be a better solution?
    1 TB FUP is okay if not enforced. It gives people pause for thought before going truly nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

First calendar month of the 1Gbps connection is over with, reaching just over 4TB used. 1.3TB of that was in the first 48 hours or so, with testing things out and syncing everyone's devices up properly for the first time. Big change, and the novelty still hasn't wore off, but both the download and upload speed have been put to good use more than I expected when they've been needed at their peak.

It's weird to have reached a point of contentment with internet usage, to almost be able to forget about juggling who can stream or download what, or what ideas I'd have to hold back on due to a limit on bandwidth. Very excited for the future of settling down with this now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

I was looking at getting one of the nest security cameras, and doing a bit of digging, I discovered a note, that if camera was running full time on HD streaming to the cloud, it would use approx 320 GB a month. So if you had a couple of them, you wouldn't be long hitting the 1TB limit.

I've the 1TB limit on my account with eir and with just 2 users, already average a usage of about 500/600 GB monthly, so didn't want to be chancing it!!

As time goes on, more people will have stuff like this running and there will be alot of useless traffic flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

People could get motion activated cameras that would require 1/1000th the bandwidth. If people go stupid with multiple TB a month, the caps will be back or the prices will go up for everyone to pay for the data greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Anyone else have their own router with 1000 ftth have any tips/ experience etc for me? Happy with opnsense but it's all I've tried on this connection. Very happy with the ubiquiti nanoHD

Without changing anything speeds have returned to normal, haven't speed tested on the wired desktop yet but phone is back to over 600.

Didn't change anything so assuming it was just creaking over the weekend.

Still going to go through and do those opnsense optimisations, as there is a noticeable difference turning suriaticia off and on, and theres no way a recent enough i3 shouldn't be able to do ips at gigabit comfortably, those tweaks will probably sort it.

One thing I'm going to change is my wan and lan connections I'm going to move to the same Intel card, one is on a card and one is on the motherboard but it would be better to have them both on the card. Although I have to have hardware offloading disabled for IPS so there probably won't be a huge difference, but it wont hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Racket wrote: »
    First calendar month of the 1Gbps connection is over with, reaching just over 4TB used. 1.3TB of that was in the first 48 hours or so, with testing things out and syncing everyone's devices up properly for the first time. Big change, and the novelty still hasn't wore off, but both the download and upload speed have been put to good use more than I expected when they've been needed at their peak.

It's weird to have reached a point of contentment with internet usage, to almost be able to forget about juggling who can stream or download what, or what ideas I'd have to hold back on due to a limit on bandwidth. Very excited for the future of settling down with this now!

As I type KN engineer is installing my FTTH, going from 25MB fixed wireless provider to 350MB line by this afternoon all things going well (no issues so far).

It's going to be game changing.

At any one time, there are ipads, netflix and online gaming happening. If Im downloading everything else stops until complete. No more with 350MB.

1GB is available to me but I really dont need it.

The reality of finally getting FTTH, in rural Ireland is pretty remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

As I type KN engineer is installing my FTTH, going from 25MB fixed wireless provider to 350MB line by this afternoon all things going well (no issues so far).

It's going to be game changing.

At any one time, there are ipads, netflix and online gaming happening. If Im downloading everything else stops until complete. No more with 350MB.

1GB is available to me but I really dont need it.

The reality of finally getting FTTH, in rural Ireland is pretty remarkable.

good luck with it - will not know yourself . i'm on 12mbps down on FWA and still patiently waiting for our FTTH work to be finished off in our area. - The fastest Internet connection I have used so far is 50mbps FTTC and that was a huge improvement over 12mbps so I can just only guess what 350mbps how nice that would be

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

300Mb/s. 350 is only on SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

good luck with it - will not know yourself . i'm on 12mbps down on FWA and still patiently waiting for our FTTH work to be finished off in our area. - The fastest Internet connection I have used so far is 50mbps FTTC and that was a huge improvement over 12mbps so I can just only guess what 350mbps how nice that would be

It's all done, was worried there would be some access issues but no just had to trim a few branches.

285MB down on wired...nothing wrong with that at all.
    I know how you feel, last 3 years on I have been on FWA. Began on 5MB down, now on 30MB. To be fair it has been a life saver now I can bundle the BB into my Sky package.

Also, Sky have their customer support down. Called last Tuesday, router delivered Friday, Engineer out today and installed. They have a check-in call scheduled for tomorrow to make sure im happy before i get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Alright going for direct connection to laptop
    How does one go about setting vlan 10 on a poxy realtec pcie family nic
    I don't have a vlan tag in my configuration just got priority and vlan no vlan id.
    downloaded a driver utility for realtec nic and created a vlan it made a virtual driver which is about as far as I got I'd say I'm missing a step and of course I rebooted.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Alright going for direct connection to laptop
    I don't have a vlan tag in my configuration just got priority and vlan no vlan id.
    downloaded a driver utility for realtec nic and created a vlan it made a virtual driver which is about as far as I got I'd say I'm missing a step and of course I rebooted.

apart from the Driver utility have you downloaded an updated actual up to date driver from realtek ?

apart from the Driver utility have you downloaded an updated actual up to date driver from realtek ?

It's all in Chinese or 404ed it's a 2012 laptop I haven't had the heart to replace I've pissed on it and everything and she still goes as good as a new un.
    The driver is updated according to what I could find as reference.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

sudo vconfig add eth0 10
    sudo ip l set eth0.10 up

Of course you might have to install a proper operating system first... :pac:

It's all in Chinese or 404ed it's a 2012 laptop I haven't had the heart to replace I've pissed on it and everything and she still goes as good as a new un.
    The driver is updated according to what I could find as reference.

im on an old HP laptop at the moment with windows 7 on it, but if u go into device manager and click properties and look for a line that says Vlan ID and then set it as 10 - if its not in there you might have to update the Realtek NIC with updated driver

these properties are for my laptops built in Wlan card , but you would wannt to be selecting ethernet controller properties
    471490.jpg

When I last did it on a Realtek NIC all I had to download a utility but once I set it in the utility it worked.

im on an old HP laptop at the moment with windows 7 on it, but if u go into device manager and click properties and look for a line that says Vlan ID and then set it as 10 - if its not in there you might have to update the Realtek NIC with updated driver

these properties are for my laptops built in Wlan card , but you would wannt to be selecting ethernet controller properties
    471490.jpg

Yeah realtec don't have those had to download a driver utility to set one but is it supposed to be that straightforward.
    Anyway to force a hg659 to connect. Got port up but no actual usable traffic (locked out)

Should be straight forward, set vlan to 10 in the utility then go to

control panel>network and sharing>set up a new connection or network>connect to the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First question would actually be, if this an Eir connection or another provider ?

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    First question would actually be, if this an Eir connection or another provider ?

/M

Another provider

Another provider

With some providers you will also need PPPoE credentials.

- Eir does IPoE and PPPoE
    - Vodafone does PPPoE and at least on their SIRO FTTH product credentials don't matter. On OpenEIR it may not matter or is similar as their VDSL product.
    - Sky is PPPoE and as far as I've heard, the credentials don't matter
    - Airwire, Net1, Westnet and various others you need to use PPPoE and you need the username/password for your account.

When I say PPPoE, then that means Vlan 10 on the network interface and then start a PPPoE session to get online.

/M

With some providers you will also need PPPoE credentials.

- Eir does IPoE and PPPoE
    - Vodafone does PPPoE and at least on their SIRO FTTH product credentials don't matter. On OpenEIR it may not matter or is similar as their VDSL product.
    - Sky is PPPoE and as far as I've heard, the credentials don't matter
    - Airwire, Net1, Westnet and various others you need to use PPPoE and you need the username/password for your account.

When I say PPPoE, then that means Vlan 10 on the network interface and then start a PPPoE session to get online.

/M

Username and password for my account?
    Does the router have all that preconfigured?

Username and password for my account?
    Does the router have all that preconfigured?

With Airwire and Westnet for sure.

Don't know about others.

Oh .. and also, with the Fritz!Boxes .. If it's one, that has phone ports, then LAN1 is your WAN/Internet port for FTTH. Don't use the grey VDSL cable in the box with those. Needs a Lan cable.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

On Airwire:

- The pppoe username is unique and preconfigured in the router we ship.
    - The pppoe password is the login password for the Fritz!Box we supply the customer. That can be found on the sticker or the leaflet in the box.

So if a customer wants to use other equipment, all he/she needs to know is the username.

Our support also hands out the credentials, if asked.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

With Airwire and Westnet for sure.

As of fairly recently, not so much. Most of the routers we're sending out now have a standard configuration on them, and are automatically provisioned via TR-069. At some point we'll probably move to authenticating based on the circuit ID, but we're not there yet.

If someone wants to use their own router we'll provide credentials to use, but obviously any router issues are their own.

Just got sorted airwire rang me and handed off the credentials a bit of tinkering and I started heading in the right direction then I got a follow up call confirming I had managed to authenticate a session.
    The router is only down the road in the post office I wasn't here to sign for it today and will be collecting it tomorrow but out of sheer curiosity I wanted to learn this and airwire and this forum couldn't be more helpful. Five stars

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

We ended up going with Eir for the 300Mb FTTH for 40 odd a month option(on promotion with 99 install) before Christmas.
    Very painless install. KN engineer had to run a cable from the last DP point to pole near house. I had a new duct for them from there to inside house so fairly simple thankfully!
    Now as the house has dreadful mobile reception i'm wondering is it possible to use one of the mobile voip apps to tie our mobiles in to use the new landline(which is now VOIP over fibre?). So basically if i dial out from my mobile with the app it comes up as our house number. Does that make any sense?
    I know i could sign up for one of the numerous VOIP services but seeing as i'm already paying for this one..

Thanks.

C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If I'm reading you right that would be a no.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement