Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    We ended up going with Eir for the 300Mb FTTH for 40 odd a month option(on promotion with 99 install) before Christmas.
    Very painless install. KN engineer had to run a cable from the last DP point to pole near house. I had a new duct for them from there to inside house so fairly simple thankfully!
    Now as the house has dreadful mobile reception i'm wondering is it possible to use one of the mobile voip apps to tie our mobiles in to use the new landline(which is now VOIP over fibre?). So basically if i dial out from my mobile with the app it comes up as our house number. Does that make any sense?
    I know i could sign up for one of the numerous VOIP services but seeing as i'm already paying for this one..

Thanks.

C.

The eir talk app on Android and iOS does what you're looking for. Up to five (I think) phones can be registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Thanks Navi.
    RTFM!! :) That's sounds exactly like what i was looking for. Always looking to over complicate things so i am!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninkel

Most SmartPhones support WIFI Calling
    Setup in Settings

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Ninkel wrote: »
    Most SmartPhones support WIFI Calling
    Setup in Settings

I know it's not broadband related but just in regards to this wifi calling. Does it really work well with fast broadband/FTTH ?

I find it hard to get a phone signal in the house a lot of the time so I tried using the wifi calling but it was lousy and I turned it off straight away. My current speed is only 8mbs, which I though would do the job but as I said it was just as bad as a poor signal using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I find it hard to get a phone signal in the house a lot of the time so I tried using the wifi calling but it was lousy and I turned it off straight away. My current speed is only 8mbs, which I though would do the job but as I said it was just as bad as a poor signal using it.

If you had lousy call quality, then it's more an issue of your wifi signal or the service you're using.

All a VoIP call requires is low consistant latency and approx 64 kbit/s of bandwidth. It would even work on 512 kbit/s DSL.

And yes, that's all Wifi calling is: Your mobile doing VoIP to your provider via wifi and the internet.

Having said that .. if somebody else was pulling full throttle on your internet connection, while you tried to make a call, then that's obviously not going to work.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    If you had lousy call quality, then it's more an issue of your wifi signal or the service you're using.

All a VoIP call requires is low consistant latency and approx 64 kbit/s of bandwidth. It would even work on 512 kbit/s DSL.

And yes, that's all Wifi calling is: Your mobile doing VoIP to your provider via wifi and the internet.

Having said that .. if somebody else was pulling full throttle on your internet connection, while you tried to make a call, then that's obviously not going to work.

/M

Yes it's a strange one. I'm with eir and when I was getting the phone last year I was looking forward to the wifi calling feature. On the eir website they said at least 1mbs for it to work. On the eir FAQ, it also said, when you receive your phone, to make sure wifi calling is enabled on it and to also call into support to have them enable it.
    I enabled it on the phone and when I rang in, they told me there was no need to ring in, once it's enabled on the phone, that's it.

The router I'm using is a tp link archer c9 and it seems to be ok with all other devices.

I'll give it another bash when I get the fast connection. It would be absolutely great if it did work good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I used VOIP on a 5Mb/s ADSL connection for years.
    Quite satisfactory.

Try your WIFI calling when close to the router and no one else using the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Still nothing on Golden, Tipperary :/

it's killing me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Somebody pinch me !!!! - am I dreaming? :eek:

• Advertisement

Somebody pinch me !!!! - am I dreaming? :eek:

What's going on Andy, you got a date for when you're due ? :D

What's going on Andy, you got a date for when you're due ? :D

no .... it was just a dream :D

I am begining to think at this stage it will never get finished in this area. I think the fibre strung across the poles and the shiny 3M boxes on the poles were just done for show and nothing else .. nice to look at and conversation piece in the area .. but they will never work :)

at least the birds are getting some use out of the cable , they perch on it a lot ... so its useful for something I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

no .... it was just a dream :D

I am begining to think at this stage it will never get finished in this area. I think the fibre strung across the poles and the shiny 3M boxes on the poles were just done for show and nothing else .. nice to look at and conversation piece in the area .. but they will never work :)

at least the birds are getting some use out of the cable , they perch on it a lot ... so its useful for something I suppose.

Andy you've posted here about how your area is delayed many times - I think we get it. My area is delayed too. Truth is nobody gives a $hite apart from ourselves. Has that not sunk in yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

A little awkward last night.

Last week the Eir sales guy talked me through the package available, all in I would be saving 60 a month over Sky+Aptus setup I had. Told him I was well keen (which I was) until I called Sky and they gave me the 300MB for 40 instead of 80 meaning I could keep the lovely Satellite TV and add FTTH. My monthly drops by €30…not as much as it would have with Eir but Skys customer service is worth the bit extra. Also, Eir TV is IPTV so if the line is down everything is down whereas is fibre is down Sky TV will still work.

Also, from order to installation Sky was done in 5 business days!

Anyway, knock on the door last night. The Eir sales guy standing there feeling confident of a sale only for me to tell him I have my FTTH installed and humming via Sky. He had the ‘WTF’ eyebrows on but sure consumer choice, we exchanged a pleasantry or two and he shot off into the crisp night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

turbbo wrote: »
    Andy you've posted here about how your area is delayed many times - I think we get it. My area is delayed too. Truth is nobody gives a $hite apart from ourselves. Has that not sunk in yet?

Wait until he gets it then breaks it by messing about with stuff too much... :D:eek:

Andy - step away from the ONT...

MBSnr wrote: »
    Wait until he gets it then breaks it by messing about with stuff too much... :D:eek:

Andy - step away from the ONT...

Wouldn't mind but the f@cker has FTTC already - I'm on a poxy 4G wireless connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wouldn't mind but the f@cker has FTTC already - I'm on a poxy 4G wireless connection.

His FTTC would be about 7/12Mb at the distance he is at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Anyone else checked the map recently and gotten the good news that their area will be enabled in winter 2018 :pac:

Still waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

I contacted the DCCAE for an update on my rollout and received a somewhat canned response - the guy I spoke to did say however that the rollout was delayed due to the storms and that an advised timeline from openeir has been submitted to DCCAE for approval with a mid 2019 total completion. Works apparently are ongoing in the meantime to continue completion.

He also mentioned that the DCCAE have requested that Eir update Fibrerollout.ie but have no power to ensure they do so and it is unknown as to whether they will update it in the future.

I contacted the DCCAE for an update on my rollout and received a somewhat canned response - the guy I spoke to did say however that the rollout was delayed due to the storms and that an advised timeline from openeir has been submitted to DCCAE for approval with a mid 2019 total completion. Works apparently are ongoing in the meantime to continue completion.

He also mentioned that the DCCAE have requested that Eir update Fibrerollout.ie but have no power to ensure they do so and it is unknown as to whether they will update it in the future.

Heres hoping its sorted by the next time I fly home again.

Christmas was torture in the home place :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I'd say they let the guy who updates the fibre rollout go in their annual cutbacks. They probably considered it a novelty as even areas covered end up with issues trying to place orders for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

babi-hrse wrote: »
    I'd say they let the guy who updates the fibre rollout go in their annual cutbacks.

All contractors were let go in the cutbacks (apart from installation etc.) without looking at their job descriptions. They were the easiest to get rid off without unions interfering.

The map (including the other maps) have been broken twice since and it's taken them weeks to fix them. So yes ... I wouldn't think they have the manpower on that part of the biz atm.

But the updates actually slowed down and then stopped before that. They stopped doing the updates when they left the NBP. At that point they didn't have to prove anything anymore.

/M

FTTC with me would be 8mbps if I had it .. but i dont - I have FWA at 11mbps (at 1am in the morning ) and in reality 3 or 4mbps down an awful lot of the time - Get your facts right before posing :rolleyes:

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Anyone else checked the map recently and gotten the good news that their area will be enabled in winter 2018 :pac:

Still waiting...

well - First Half 2018 for me ... but that map is out of date ...

well - First Half 2018 for me ... but that map is out of date ...

At least there's a fellow Sligonion in this with me :pac:

FTTC with me would be 8mbps if I had it .. but i dont - I have FWA at 11mbps (at 1am in the morning ) and in reality 3 or 4mbps down an awful lot of the time - Get your facts right before posing :rolleyes:

Ok thought you said you had fttc in an earlier post(there are many of them).
    Either way we get it - you want ftth but it's still not available and you're waiting.
    Consider yourself lucky you're even going to be able to get it - that is the way I'm looking at it - if it's a year late - so what at least we're gonna have it soon enough.
    Basically build a bridge and get over it. Openeir are a private company and can do what they like when they like.
    They don't owe us anything.
    The NBP never looked further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninkel

Some changes / edits have taken place on the FibreRollout map in the Aherla Exchange Area in Cork county in the last week or so. A number of the Fibre runs from the exchange are showing some houses live i.e. light green house icon while some other Fibre routes from the same Aherla exchange are showing house planned i.e. blue house icon. Also, some of the Fibre routes are showing sections of light green icons and blue icons. On those particular routes the light green icons are on first part of the section out from the exchange.
    On the FibreRollout map the legend information for the light green icons has the following pop up information:
    Fibre Services are now live in your area. Please contact your service provider to order.

Ok thought you said you had fttc in an earlier post(there are many of them).
    Either way we get it - you want ftth but it's still not available and you're waiting.
    Consider yourself lucky you're even going to be able to get it - that is the way I'm looking at it - if it's a year late - so what at least we're gonna have it soon enough.
    Basically build a bridge and get over it. Openeir are a private company and can do what they like when they like.
    They don't owe us anything.
    The NBP never looked further away.

The fact is Andy's situation is dire in that the cabling and dp's are up 6 months or so an he's still not showing on the airwire database. Something happened and just how serious is it. Will or can they abandon his area if there are issues ?

Just out of the blue 2 weeks ago I ended up on the airwire database. There was no cabling or dp's up on the road outside, and open eir really got stuck in and did our whole road in 1.5 days, really fast and good workers.

I have an install date of the 7th of Feb but until the engineer is gone and I'm sitting here doing a speed test I'm not taking it for granted.

There is some movement on the fibrerollout.ie site. On the front page where it say's 'can I get broadband,' and you enter in your phone number and eir code, well right up until 2 or 3 days ago it was still telling me 'great news second half of 2018.'

I just entered my details in there and it says 'Great News, Fibre broadband with speed up to 1000Mb/s is available at your address. You can order from the list of service providers here.'

Seems to be movement on the map too. About 2.5 miles from me there is 4 houses that weren't originally on the map, I know this because I spoke to one of the people who live in that cluster of houses back in November and they were disappointed. Just looked there and they have little blue house icons on their houses too.

EDIT: Definitely movement on the map. Just up past those cluster of houses, I check all up that way on the map on Friday night and all houses were blue, now all showing as live map is updated to a certain extent.

• Advertisement

The fact is Andy's situation is dire in that the cabling and dp's are up 6 months or so an he's still not showing on the airwire database.

Dire? Hardly? He will get it in the near future - just because he hasn't got a date doesn't mean that it's not going to happen.
    My point is still valid - all the complaining in the world on these boards will not speed it up for me or Andy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement