Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Net1 is just free to air channels as far as I know.

Correct. So is Vodafone basically. I'm not sure how many premium channels they have, but if .. it's very limited.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

Does anybody here know what what the WiFi range of the F2000 router is like compared to Huawei B593s (the one 3 uses) ? Longshot, but I'm just presuming that some people were using 4G broadband like myself, before they got FTTH.

I should be getting FTTH installed on Monday once my duct isn't blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

People complain about it but I've tested one in a bungalow and got 110Mb through three walls at 15m so it really should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

ED E wrote: »
    People complain about it but I've tested one in a bungalow and got 110Mb through three walls at 15m so it really should be fine.

That sounds good!
    Yeah from following this thread for 2/3 years I've heard a lot of complaints about this router. The most annoying one I remember was people having issues connecting Android devices for some reason? I presume those issues have been sorted with firmware updates because I haven't heard anything recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We lost count of the number of times we had to reboot the F2000 router. Abysmal signal strength also. Even an old Vodafone router had twice the range on 2.4 Ghz as the F2000. Placed in the middle of a large bungalow it's 5 Ghz signal wouldn't reach more than half way to each end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It's all completely subjective. I haven't had to reboot the F2000 once and find the wireless range fine. Try it and if it doesn't work to your requirements look into replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

It's all completely subjective. I haven't had to reboot the F2000 once and find the wireless range fine. Try it and if it doesn't work to your requirements look into replacing it.

Same here .. no issues at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

Same for me. While I'm not using it for wireless, it has worked perfectly for me. Not a single reboot.

My grandmother has FTTH with the F2000 router too and I've never experienced any problems it either. Solid range, no need to reboot yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

Just want to say a thank you for everyone on here who suggested running with Airwire after I had issues with Eir retail. Today I finally got connected up and am running away with 300Mbps and my old WISP connection will soon be a distant memory. Airwire have been very responsive and pro active so a big thanks to them to getting me live so quickly. Can't recommend them enough.

Just a time timeline to try to illustrate just how bad Eir retail is and how quickly things progressed with Airwire. Of course it might not be like this for everyone as Airwire are still dependent on Open Eir for the actual work to be done, but at least they call you back and give you up to date information on how your install is progressing. The difference between Airwire and Eir retail was literally night and day.

Eir Retail

Sep 6th 2018 FTTH Order with Eir Retail
    Sep 11th 1st site visit by KN (Told ducting investigation needed to be done by me)
    Sep 19th 2nd site visit by KN (Agreed that Pole to be installed in Garden and Access points made to access old ducting)
    Two weeks later (all work required by my side done, called Eir Retail to confirm this)
    Mid October 3rd Site visit for KN (Again agreed that pole needed to be installed in Garden)
    From End of October Multiple calls made to Eir retail to get updates which resulted in

Lots of Hold Music (I know the lyrics of Counting Stars by OneRepublic very well)
    Been cut off after been on hold from anywhere between 45 -60 mins
    Live chats that got nowhere
    No updates on the installation status (They had very old information from 1st KN Visit)
    Lots of frustration

Jan 2nd Cancelled Eir Retail order(Took 2 hours). Waited for confirmation, which ended up with more calls to Eir retail, more One Republic, more disconnects.
    Jan 14th Finally got confirmation of cancellation by online chat (only took 1 hour)

Airwire.

15th Jan Order Placed with Airwire
    16th or 17th Jan Call from Airwire to say they will send router and gave details on KN visit
    Two days later Router Arrived in Post
    21st Jan KN Visit. Pole install once more agreed and call from Airwire later to confirm this visit
    24th Jan KN Visit Pole installed!
    25th Jan Ducting laid by me from pole to Access point/older ducting running into house. Called Airwire to confirm.
    28th Jan Airwire called to confirm install date of 1st Feb
    1st Feb Live (Quick support call from me on the router, went straight thru to support person who resolved issue in mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Just a quick question to anyone who got their FTTH via eir. I have an install date for next Thursday the 7th Feb. I just realized I have an important dentist appointment for that day but the FTTH will take priority. Will the KN/Open Eir engineer contact me a few days before the install ? I was told that by the eir sales, but you know yourself.

• Advertisement

Just a quick question to anyone who got their FTTH via eir. I have an install date for next Thursday the 7th Feb. I just realized I have an important dentist appointment for that day but the FTTH will take priority. Will the KN/Open Eir engineer contact me a few days before the install ? I was told that by the eir sales, but you know yourself.

I think open eir rang me the day before my install to confirm but that was over a year ago. I don't know if they still do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I got a call the day before most of the time but not every time.
    Unfortunately you do need to be home all day. I always got appointment times before midday but only one out of 5 call outs were on time. When they called late in the day(sometimes as late as 16:30 when they usually finish work at 17:00) they always just told me it was a two man job and it was too late to get a second person to work on it.

The one time they called out on time it actually went ahead and a second person was not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Yes, the sales rep told me it's a morning appointment but also said it could be anytime. I'll work something out. Thanks for the replies.

Yeah the main issue is that a straight forward install will take about 90 mins but could take much longer if there are complications. KN will just work its way down the list of appointments as best it can on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

FTTH installs are always classed as an all day appt regardless the time frame given - could arrive there at 11 and not be finished til after 2pm

fritzelly wrote: »
    FTTH installs are always classed as an all day appt regardless the time frame given - could arrive there at 11 and not be finished til after 2pm

Or could arrive at 16:30 and you know they will say any excuse because they generally finish around 17:00
    In fairness they did at least show up every time even if they didn't have time to install they made an appearance.
    Also the wait time of about one week for an install date after ordering is better than most services.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

They'll ring the day before hand or text beforehand. The engineer will ring you when he's on the way. If I don't get an answer I'll proceed to address to knock on door that's gonna be about 30mins to the door. If no answer on phone or a call back by the time someone gets to the house the office then attempts to call if they can't call only then is your appointment considered a missed appointment. You don't necessarily have to be glued to your front door. You'll get a call if you miss it just be sure to call back as soon as you notice. If they tell you their on the way just tell them you'll be on your way back also but will be running late. The tech still can look around and assess the site before you arrive home.
    If you have a dentist appointment just ask a neighbour to let them in and have them call you back once they assess where and how they will run the fibre to if they can install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Right now work volumes arnt as hetic as they usually are so you shouldn't be waiting too long for an appointment some people I've gone to have had two appointments in the same week

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Right now work volumes arnt as hetic as they usually are so you shouldn't be waiting too long for an appointment some people I've gone to have had two appointments in the same week

Difficult though, because the wholesale partners can only book the appointment in with 4 workdays notice. System won't let you book any earlier. That also applies to rebooking.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Anyone known what this is for?
    Just installed at a junction 2km from exchange on the rollout path

Certainly has power

• Advertisement

brianbruff wrote: »
    Anyone known what this is for?
    Just installed at a junction 2km from exchange on the rollout path

Certainly has power

It's unlikely to be anything to do with fibre. The company IPL seems to deal with water, gas, lighting etc.

https://www.iplgroup.com/road-kiosks.php

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

It's unlikely to be anything to do with fibre. The company IPL seems to deal with water, gas, lighting etc.

https://www.iplgroup.com/road-kiosks.php

ah ok, i was wondering if it may have been installed so that openEir could hook up to it to inject power of some sorts to their network, not sure if the fiber runs need boosters, hence power.

ah ok, i was wondering if it may have been installed so that openEir could hook up to it to inject power of some sorts to their network, not sure if the fiber runs need boosters, hence power.

The fibre is powered by the OLT in the exchange and the ONT in the premises. The bits in between are passive so no power needed.

The only cabinets you will see if for FTTC/VDSL and they have a very easy to identify design with a lock and outside hinges.

FTTH needs to cabinets at all. Just DPs. It's all passive equipment and is fed from the exchange.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

I'm quite far out from any prospective install, but just thinking ahead here - there is no duct or routing from the telegraph poles going down my lane and the only other cable coming in is the phone line which is overhead, which goes from the telegraph pole to my soffit over a distance of 20-30 metres or so.

Would the fibre go overhead over a similar/same path to the phone line? Or it it worth me at the very least looking into a potential cable track?

If your premise is 50m or less from the pole, the cable can be installed overhead.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Perfect - thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Hi lads,

I'm looking for some advice. I am in a new build in an estate since November.
    I got an eircode in November also. My house is in a "Blue" area on the dccae map and houses around me have FTTH and also I am within a FTTC area. Ducting is in place but the estate is not cabled for broadband.

When I spoke with openeir back in November, they advised that they will be adding new eircodes in January and that mine will hopefully be in there. I emailed them in January on fibrepower@openeir.ie and also sent them some DMs on Twitter ( I had correspondence using both these mediums back in November) but they are not responding to me on either.

I'm at a loss as how to proceed at this point. What are options to get some form of broadband installed? Can I get a phone line installed and go from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

in a normal Gpon FTTH infrastructure service the signals are passively split by mirrors aren't they? - if they are done like this where normally are these mirrors situated on the Irish FTTH system?

• Advertisement

in a normal Gpon FTTH infrastructure service the signals are passively split by mirrors aren't they? - if they are done like this where normally are these mirrors situated on the Irish FTTH system?

Multi level split design using 1:8 then 1:4 splitters. They are housed in the DP boxes AFAIK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement