Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Cushtie

So they have run the cables finally on our road. there is a pole right beside the driveway entrance and this is where the existing copper cable goes in to the house through the underground duct. However they have put the Loops of fibre cable that are normally outside houses on the next pole up the road. About 50 metres away. There is no other house immediately beside mine on either side. Does this mean they will be trying to run the connection from this pole. It makes no sense if this is the case. Am I overthinking this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

limktime wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I'm looking for some advice. I am in a new build in an estate since November.
    I got an eircode in November also. My house is in a "Blue" area on the dccae map and houses around me have FTTH and also I am within a FTTC area. Ducting is in place but the estate is not cabled for broadband.

When I spoke with openeir back in November, they advised that they will be adding new eircodes in January and that mine will hopefully be in there. I emailed them in January on fibrepower@openeir.ie and also sent them some DMs on Twitter ( I had correspondence using both these mediums back in November) but they are not responding to me on either.

I'm at a loss as how to proceed at this point. What are options to get some form of broadband installed? Can I get a phone line installed and go from there?

They'll probably refuse to install a traditional copper phone line if the estate is on their plans for FTTH. Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do in relation to open eir.

As for some form if connection you might look into mobile broadband options or wireless ISPs if any are operating in your area.

Cushtie wrote: »
    So they have run the cables finally on our road. there is a pole right beside the driveway entrance and this is where the existing copper cable goes in to the house through the underground duct. However they have put the Loops of fibre cable that are normally outside houses on the next pole up the road. About 50 metres away. There is no other house immediately beside mine on either side. Does this mean they will be trying to run the connection from this pole. It makes no sense if this is the case. Am I overthinking this?

You're over thinking it. The loop of cable signifies that a distribution point will be fitted to that pole. Each DP can serve several premises so there does not need to be one outside each home. The installer will bring a cable from the DP back to your pole the into the duct to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Cushtie wrote: »

They will bring it from the pole with the loop to the pole near your house and then into the house.

It's not uncommon to string it across 2-3 poles before entering the duct.

/M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

in a normal Gpon FTTH infrastructure service the signals are passively split by mirrors aren't they? - if they are done like this where normally are these mirrors situated on the Irish FTTH system?

Not mirrors; fused biconical couplers. They're in the DPs - they're quite tiny.

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    They will bring it from the pole with the loop to the pole near your house and then into the house.

It's not uncommon to string it across 2-3 poles before entering the duct.

/M

Thanks for reply. I suppose just a waiting game now to see how long it takes for it to go live. Only about 18 to 24 months behind schedule so far so any ones guess I suppose.

Edit. Marlow. I think I reported your post instead of replying initially. Apologies. MODS please ignore that report.

You're over thinking it. The loop of cable signifies that a distribution point will be fitted to that pole. Each DP can serve several premises so there does not need to be one outside each home. The installer will bring a cable from the DP back to your pole the into the duct to your house.

Cheers. Been waiting for this for so long would hate for something stupid to muck it up. Next think so is to check the duct and run a draw rope. If I recall when building the house I think there was a bit of obstruction just where the duct came up through the foundation so need to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

They'll probably refuse to install a traditional copper phone line if the estate is on their plans for FTTH. Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do in relation to open eir.

As for some form if connection you might look into mobile broadband options or wireless ISPs if any are operating in your area.

Thanks, even if I knew there were plans for FTTH, I'd be happy to wait but I'm getting nothing back from anyone. Looks like I'll just have to wait it out.

At least I know I've probably exhausted all options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Just got FTTH installed today. I live in a bungalow so it's perfect one end of the house but poor the other. I have tried TP links but the speed is dropping to 25Mbs even using them.

What's my best course of action? Was thinking run an ethernet cable the length of the house and set up an access point at the end?

Is this the best solution? Do I need to worry about loss of speed over the long ethernet cable? Does Cat 6 versus 5E really matter?

What access point/router should I buy?

I'm with eir and will be using the main router provided by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can't beat cabled for extending the range
    5e will suffice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Was thinking run an ethernet cable the length of the house and set up an access point at the end?

Is this the best solution? Do I need to worry about loss of speed over the long ethernet cable? Does Cat 6 versus 5E really matter?

Yes that's the best way to do it and will keep the full gigabit speed up to 100 metres of cable. Cat 5e will do just fine.

As for access point every house is different.
    I'd recommend getting a cheap one from amazon. Free return shipping and fast refund if you're not happy. You could get back to us at that point and we could recommend some of the more expensive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Saw something out of the ordinary recently: We were coming home around 18:30 on Friday and just before our house (the last pole on the line) there was a guy up a ladder with a head torch working in pitch dark. I looked up the road for his van before getting to the house, but there was nothing in sight, at least within a 5 minute walk anyways. He was there for about an hour or so, then I glanced him walking off up the road towards where a van would probably be.

Do KN normally work after dusk during initial installs in an area?

Worth mentioning that the next day I noticed there were DPs in place further along the road where there were loose spools on the pole before, I assume the pole he was on is now also contained in the black unit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Just got FTTH installed today. I live in a bungalow so it's perfect one end of the house but poor the other. I have tried TP links but the speed is dropping to 25Mbs even using them.

What's my best course of action? Was thinking run an ethernet cable the length of the house and set up an access point at the end?

Depends on the bandwidth you're getting from them, if only 150Mb/s then ordinary, old powerline adapters may be OK for your needs (I have a set from about 5 years ago rated at 200Mb/s that seem to perform OK for low-medium bandwidth applications), anything far above 100Mb/s would probably warrant a dedicated cable if you own the house and can run cables yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well he says he gets 25 Mb from TP Link power adaptors.
    Those adaptors are only half duplex also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eh gringo!

Hi All
    Does any body know the make / model of the router that SKY supply to operate on Eirs FTTH network ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

I'm in the same situation as you. I use TP Link AV600 extenders (€45 approx) which work fine for now. I would experiment with different sockets to plug them into as the quality of the wiring can vary. Long term I plan to run an ethernet cable up through the attic, as you are saying. CAT5E and CAT6A cable can run for up to 100 metres as far as I know, but I would check the detailed spec of the cable before you buy it. 5E should be fine though unless you are doing serious work in installing the cable. The Eir router is ok for me as I don't use its wifi cabability. The TP link extender has wifi built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Eh gringo! wrote: »
    Hi All
    Does any body know the make / model of the router that SKY supply to operate on Eirs FTTH network ??

It's their own Sky Q Hub.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eh gringo!

Is it locked down or can you access the settings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Eh gringo! wrote: »
    Is it locked down or can you access the settings ?
    Some settings are grayed out, which does cause problems getting max speeds on certain devices.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

:(
    Still not available
    Its like playing a weekly lotto, hoping my numbers come up:D

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lot's of people seem happy with the F2000 Eir router, but the one we got is a POS. I have a large long bungalow and got a TP-Link router to replace the F2000. The WiFi range of that is about double the F2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

cnocbui wrote: »
    Lot's of people seem happy with the F2000 Eir router, but the one we got is a POS. I have a large long bungalow and got a TP-Link router to replace the F2000. The WiFi range of that is about double the F2000.

Could you link me to the router you bought? Do you know if it can be used as an access point?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5506_Archer-C7.html

Yes, it can be used as an AP, but it can also substitute directly for the F2000 easily. The only thing it lacks to make it a full replacement is an anolgue phone port for a VOIP phone. I have the F2000 slaved off the TP-Link for the VOIP phone and have turned it's WiFi AP's off.

Probably should have gone with t Fritzbox router but my son went and got the TP-Link and forgot about the phone requirement: https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-5491/

That is probably not the most cost effective Fritzbox as that one is quite expensive and might be designed for a direct fiber connection?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

There were some issues with the data that we got from OpenEIR this morning, so the database has been updated again.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

There were some issues with the data that we got from OpenEIR this morning, so the database has been updated again.

Good stuff, dates have not changed and looks like it still on for tomorrow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I bought this TP-Link-AC1200 to use as an AP.

It's basic but it does a good job in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Lads, I'm not the best at the networking side of things so just looking for a little bit of advice, and if I do need to go down the route I'll open a thread for help. Basically if the engineer installs the eir router in my sitting room I'm screwed as no way will it reach down the end of the house. If he puts it in the hall I 'should' be ok signal wise. But just reading the above posts about access points.

Well right now with my current ADSL, I'm using a 'TP-Link AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit,' (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beamforming-Technology-UK-Archer-C9/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549394499&sr=8-2&keywords=archer++c9) as the eir modem/router wouldn't reach the house signal wise.

Firstly, is it possible to use this router as an access point, and if so, is the gist of it, I run a rj45 cable from the eir router into the attic, bring it down in a central part of the house and connect the eir router to the archer c9 via that rj45 cable, do some configuration between the 2 routers and when all is said and done I can let the eir router look after the tv's etc.. in the sitting room and let the archer look after the rest of the house (long bungalow.) ?

Have I got the basic idea of things, or should I get some wireless powerline adapters ? The reason I didn't want to use powerline adapters is the house is over 35 years old and not that many plug sockets in it.

Lads, I'm not the best at the networking side of things so just looking for a little bit of advice, and if I do need to go down the route I'll open a thread for help. Basically if the engineer installs the eir router in my sitting room I'm screwed as no way will it reach down the end of the house. If he puts it in the hall I 'should' be ok signal wise. But just reading the above posts about access points.

Well right now with my current ADSL, I'm using a 'TP-Link AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit,' (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beamforming-Technology-UK-Archer-C9/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549394499&sr=8-2&keywords=archer++c9) as the eir modem/router wouldn't reach the house signal wise.

Firstly, is it possible to use this router as an access point, and if so, is the gist of it, I run a rj45 cable from the eir router into the attic, bring it down in a central part of the house and connect the eir router to the archer c9 via that rj45 cable, do some configuration between the 2 routers and when all is said and done I can let the eir router look after the tv's etc.. in the sitting room and let the archer look after the rest of the house (long bungalow.) ?

Have I got the basic idea of things, or should I get some wireless powerline adapters ? The reason I didn't want to use powerline adapters is the house is over 35 years old and not that many plug sockets in it.

You have it correct. Some routers have a "use as access point" setting. If yours doesn't have this it is just a matter of configuring the Archer to have a static LAN IP within the range of the F2000. If you want both devices doing WiFi you should assign non overlapping channels for both 2.4 and 5GHz.

Edit: Turn off DHCP on the Archer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

You have it correct. Some routers have a "use as access point" setting. If yours doesn't have this it is just a matter of configuring the Archer to have a static LAN IP within the range of the F2000. If you want both devices doing WiFi you should assign non overlapping channels for both 2.4 and 5GHz.

Edit: Turn off DHCP on the Archer.

Thanks Dominique Loud Waistband.

I just logged into the archer and doesn't seem to have 'use as access point.'

I'd want both routers using wireless to have full coverage, so when you say 'assign non over lapping channels,' do you mean I should set separate ssid's on both routers, so I'd have 4 ssid's in total ?

Just another thought. What do you think would be best, to do as I said above and create an access point, or just run a rj45 cable from the 'box on the wall,' sorry don't know the official name for it and again bring it down in a central part of the house and just use the offical eir router from there and don't use any access point.

Right now I'm using that archer c9 and it's a quarter way at the top of the house and it barely reaches the end rooms with a signal so I'd definitely need it a central location and that might actually do the trick if I had the new eir router centralized. Or better to go with an access point ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement