Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I had a suspicion my install wouldn't be done tomorrow. I actually read a post by Fritzelly over on the talk to eir forum and someone was asking about their install date and he said usually 4 days' after it goes live. He spoke the truth. I ordered on Jan 10th or thereabouts with an install date of 7th Feb (supposed to go live 6th.) I rang today as I heard nothing from eir to be told I'm down for the 11th, which is not too bad at all, but all the same I would have been waiting around for nothing tomorrow.

I'm disappointed as it's all part of the eir saga that never ends, but on the other hand I'm very happy that it will be done on Monday. When I was on the phone with eir, I actually got a confirmation text from them stating it will happen on Monday. I'm looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

I had a suspicion my install wouldn't be done tomorrow. I actually read a post by Fritzelly over on the talk to eir forum and someone was asking about their install date and he said usually 4 days' after it goes live. He spoke the truth. I ordered on Jan 10th or thereabouts with an install date of 7th Feb (supposed to go live 6th.) I rang today as I heard nothing from eir to be told I'm down for the 11th, which is not too bad at all, but all the same I would have been waiting around for nothing tomorrow.

I'm disappointed as it's all part of the eir saga that never ends, but on the other hand I'm very happy that it will be done on Monday. When I was on the phone with eir, I actually got a confirmation text from them stating it will happen on Monday. I'm looking forward to it!

Good luck with the install Monday. I know what it's like waiting myself.

My area is listed as going live on the 6th Feb too, organised an install date of 18th with Airwire today and really looking forward to having a decent broadband service finally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

As far as I am aware you cannot plug an Ethernet cable into the DSL socket on the router because physically the Ethernet plug is bigger that the DSL plug so it won't go in that socket. If you get connected, no internet message I would say its connected to the router OK but there is no internet because maybe the router settings are not configured right with logon username and password or not set to ppoe or whatever it is or because Ethernet man cable from the ont is not connected to either WAN socket of router or LAN1 or LAN4 socket (if router uses LAN sockets for WAN) or problem with ONT los or isp provider

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As far as I am aware you cannot plug an Ethernet cable into the DSL socket on the router because physically the Ethernet plug is bigger that the DSL plug so it won't go in that socket.

No Andy !!

First of all, on some routers the DSL port is as wide as an ethernet port. That is because the likes of the Fritz!Box is designed to accomodate DSL from both analog and ISDN circuits. So what you are saying is plain wrong.

Also, if there is no Wan port it is always LAN1 on a Fritz!Box. But that doesn't apply on a 4040 .. as it has no DSL modem at all and it has a WAN port.

It is never LAN4. What router have you seen that uses LAN4 for it's WAN port for FTTH?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

Marlow wrote: »
    No Andy !!

First of all, on some routers the DSL port is as wide as an ethernet port. That is because the likes of the Fritz!Box is designed to accomodate DSL from both analog and ISDN circuits. So what you are saying is plain wrong.

Also, if there is no Wan port it is always LAN1 on a Fritz!Box. But that doesn't apply on a 4040 .. as it has no DSL modem at all and it has a WAN port.

It is never LAN4. What router have you seen that uses LAN4 for it's WAN port for FTTH?

/M

I contacted my ISP yesterday evening and all was resolved by the time I got home from work!

I had the setup done correctly - as Marlow advised the 4040 only has a WAN port for FTTH.

The issue was on my ISP side - they had to log in remotely to configure the modem. It had not been configured prior to reaching me. Not sure if this is a common occurrence or not? My knowledge is limited!

But what a game changer for us. Speedtest now showing 149mbps down and 29mbps up :D Quite an improvement from 8mbps down with a 10gb daily FUP.

Hope everyone else gets the install soon!

• Advertisement

I contacted my ISP yesterday evening and all was resolved by the time I got home from work!

I had the setup done correctly - as Marlow advised the 4040 only has a WAN port for FTTH.

The issue was on my ISP side - they had to log in remotely to configure the modem. It had not been configured prior to reaching me. Not sure if this is a common occurrence or not? My knowledge is limited!

But what a game changer for us. Speedtest now showing 149mbps down and 29mbps up :D Quite an improvement from 8mbps down with a 10gb daily FUP.

Hope everyone else gets the install soon!

Apologies to my incorrect posting about an ethernet lead fitting in an ADSL socket then , sorry for getting it wrong, all routers I have worked with over the years have been zxyel, huawei, TP-link, Belkin and the like at that was the case with them particular routers you wouldn't have been able to make a mistake of fitting an the plug of an Ethernet cable into the ADSL on those ones because the ADSL socket was physically too small. Have never worked with the fritz boxes.

That's great it was all working when you got home and the ISP had remotely inputted their setting's.

Must feel great for you now on with the fast speed. I am stuck with 11mbps down (on good days)/and I am trying to use it with my work so its desperate at a load of times when I need fast speed for downloading something. My eircode is down for ftth but its been a particularly long waiting game for me personally but I will get it one day soon hopefully.

Lads I just want to ask a question to you guy's in the know. Basically my house is surrounded with trees, they are mature and they are everywhere. My current ADSL line comes from a pole just across the road, and through a lot of my trees and across to the house. About 2 year's ago, the line broke and Open eir put a new line across, they used a van with a hoist to do this.

I take it the FTTH engineer will just have a van and a ladder ? Will he attempt to bring the fibre cable through the trees, or will I need to get somebody to cut a gap in the trees ?

Thanks

Yes, the engineer will have a ladder.

However .. you will have to have 1 meter clearance around the fibre cable for an overhead install.

If the trees are on public land, OpenEir will take care of the trimming.

If the trees are on your property, you will have to trim them to make such a clearance.

/M

Yes, the engineer will have a ladder.

However .. you will have to have 1 meter clearance around the fibre cable for an overhead install.

If the trees are on public land, OpenEir will take care of the trimming.

If the trees are on your property, you will have to trim them to make such a clearance.

/M

Thanks Marlow. They are on my land. So basically where the other cable comes across, I'll have to have 3 feet clear all around it ?

Balls on it, it never even entered my head until today. I'll have to try get it sorted by Monday.

Thanks

So basically where the other cable comes across, I'll have to have 3 feet clear all around it ?

Correct. Otherwise the installer walks away and you have to reschedule after you have that sorted.

/M

• Advertisement

Correct. Otherwise the installer walks away and you have to reschedule after you have that sorted.

/M

I doubt I'll be getting it installed on Monday. I was just out there again having a look and seems a fairly hefty job to be honest.

I'll have a think and see what to do.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Hi Folks,

Have a question on the scheduling of the installation date.

I ordered FTTH from Eir back on 10th Jan and my area had a go live date of 6th Feb.

Today I had the webchat with Eir and they said they couldn’t see the installation date scheduled and to ring OpenEir. I rang OpenEir and they said it’s the provider who gives the installation date.

Anyone have an idea on how to find out what the actual installation date is?

Thanks

rabwaygal wrote: »
    Today I had the webchat with Eir and they said they couldn’t see the installation date scheduled and to ring OpenEir. I rang OpenEir and they said it’s the provider who gives the installation date.

Whoever told you to ring OpenEIR is an idiot.

Your provider has all your information for you and is the only one that can answer that question. So in your case Eir (retail)

OpenEIR will never deal with you. They are wholesale only. They don't even have access to the retail IT systems.

/Mhh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Whoever told you to ring OpenEIR is an idiot.

Your provider has all your information for you and is the only one that can answer that question. So in your case Eir (retail)

OpenEIR will never deal with you. They are wholesale only. They don't even have access to the retail IT systems.

/Mhh

KN appts are referred to as Openeir appts - thats who they meant, in other words fobbing off the customer to someone else

fritzelly wrote: »
    KN appts are referred to as Openeir appts - thats who they meant, in other words fobbing off the customer to someone else

Haha. But the IVR as you ring that number says "Welcome to KN Installation Solutions". And they aren't the most useful either. Took 10 minutes to find an order today as I have 3 in my name this week alone. And they can't search by eircode.

/M

I doubt I'll be getting it installed on Monday. I was just out there again having a look and seems a fairly hefty job to be honest.

I'll have a think and see what to do.

Thanks again

going back a few years back (not too long ago though) I cannot remember if it was eircom or ESB but I looked out of the window and this worker had a long wooden pole with a big metal hook on it and was just literally pulling branches down (and they snapped) around the wires to make a clearing , he didnt even have to get up on a ladder.

- could you make something like this up and make a clearing yourself like that - just an idea.

Maybe everyone has a different phone number because the number eir uses (and gives out) announces themselves as Openeir appointments
    Which just causes more confusion when people think they can call the real Openeir

going back a few years back (not too long ago though) I cannot remember if it was eircom or ESB but I looked out of the window and this worker had a long wooden pole with a big metal hook on it and was just literally pulling branches down (and they snapped) around the wires to make a clearing , he didnt even have to get up on a ladder.

- could you make something like this up and make a clearing yourself like that - just an idea.

Or just get something like this
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=16244
    (I have one and they work great even thru thick branches)

ah yeah that could do the job alright ....

Maybe everyone has a different phone number because the number eir uses (and gives out) announces themselves as Openeir appointments
    Which just causes more confusion when people think they can call the real Openeir

The number I have is the outbound number they show customers, when they confirm appointments. The number that people would ring back on, if they had a missed call. And in all honesty ... it's a telco. You'd think they'd get it correct to show the correct CLI.

/M

• Advertisement

I'm going to have a bash at taking a few branches away and see how it goes. I don't think I'll be able to make 3 feet on each side of it though. I'll see how it goes.

I have something similar to this but never even thought about it so thanks :)

Just regards the orders situation with one of the previous posters. I was down for install today according to eir sales. I never got any confirmation so rang them yesterday and they told me Open eir sent them a date of Monday the 11th. Eir sales/customer support have told me so many lies over the course of the last few years, I don't know what to believe and not to believe out of their mouth. The Open eir guys are always bang on when they are doing repairs locally for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

So after years of stalking poles and a few months deciding on a provider I opted to sign up to Airwire today mainly due to presence on this thread and a few IM.

2 unanswered calls to sales and then one promised callback not returned after a few hours waiting, tis not a good start :-)

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

brianbruff wrote: »
    2 unanswered calls to sales and then one promised callback not returned after a few hours waiting, tis not a good start :-)

All calls should get answered, you just need to let it ring longer.

We try to get back to anyone within one hour, but that's not always possible. If you don't hear back, feel free to PM me your number here and I get somebody to contact you.

All calls should get answered, you just need to let it ring longer.

We try to get back to anyone within one hour, but that's not always possible. If you don't hear back, feel free to PM me your number here and I get somebody to contact you.

Hi Martin

got automated info there was noone to answer my call i think, when i got through someone took my details and said i'd be called back.

not to worry, i'm still going with you guys :-) will send IM

tnx

brianbruff wrote: »
    Hi Martin

got automated info there was noone to answer my call i think, when i got through someone took my details and said i'd be called back.

not to worry, i'm still going with you guys :-) will send IM

tnx

Callback received, order placed, tnx Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Lads I just want to ask a question to you guy's in the know. Basically my house is surrounded with trees, they are mature and they are everywhere. My current ADSL line comes from a pole just across the road, and through a lot of my trees and across to the house. About 2 year's ago, the line broke and Open eir put a new line across, they used a van with a hoist to do this.

I take it the FTTH engineer will just have a van and a ladder ? Will he attempt to bring the fibre cable through the trees, or will I need to get somebody to cut a gap in the trees ?

Thanks

He will have a ladder he won't climb a tree unless it's robust to lean a ladder against.
    For tree trimming he will call a hoist a hoist will come out and either help him get it through the trees or will cut the branches with a saw on a pole. If there's a ton of em it will be referred for major tree trimming on network side. If you have tons of trees you may have to hire a tree servicing company to trim them if it's only a couple of trees the hoist should get through them.
    For private trees on a neighbour's land well that's a conversation between customer and neibhour kn cannot or at least are not supposed to trim a neibhour trees without permission. We will usually go through trees if it doesn't look like the tree won't break the line in the future. Seeing a snapped phone line next to one is generally not a positive sign.
    If you think the hoist is needed for trimming trees I'd say you should ring and state that one may be needed.
    Otherwise you could get a tech and no hoist then after a call one might not be available and it can end up being rescheduled for a hoist to be available on next appointment.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    He will have a ladder he won't climb a tree unless it's robust to lean a ladder against.
    For tree trimming he will call a hoist a hoist will come out and either help him get it through the trees or will cut the branches with a saw on a pole. If there's a ton of em it will be referred for major tree trimming on network side. If you have tons of trees you may have to hire a tree servicing company to trim them if it's only a couple of trees the hoist should get through them.
    For private trees on a neighbour's land well that's a conversation between customer and neibhour kn cannot or at least are not supposed to trim a neibhour trees without permission. We will usually go through trees if it doesn't look like the tree won't break the line in the future. Seeing a snapped phone line next to one is generally not a positive sign.
    If you think the hoist is needed for trimming trees I'd say you should ring and state that one may be needed.
    Otherwise you could get a tech and no hoist then after a call one might not be available and it can end up being rescheduled for a hoist to be available on next appointment.

Thanks for the info babi-hrse.

There are about 2 or 3 trees with lots or branches, but it's very congested. In the past there was a line up there that was broken, this wasn't due to the trees, the break in the other line was up near the house. It was done by some farmer doing work I think. The previous line had a patch job that was fine but in the winter in stormy conditions my service would be up and down, so eventually open eir came and replaced the whole line from pole to house and used a hoist. I didn't see how it was done as I was out that day.
    Around Christmas time I was having issues again, this was with the new line installed, and this time it was a little black box on the pole across the road that was knackered so it needed to be replaced which it was. And in addition to this, one of the guys drove in the garden with the hoist and used a chainsaw to cut a few branches around the wire. The current wire goes through the trees now and is not touching any branches.

I'll get out over the weekend and do a bit of trimming to the best of my ability.

I don't know whether this is a positive or negative or won't matter, but I rang eir support today and asked if my phone will be through the eir router or via the copper wire. They told me it's PTSN I think the said, I will be keeping the wire outside, so there will be 2 wires coming across.

I'll call them tomorrow and tell them a hoist will be required.

Many thanks for the info babi-hrse, really appreciated!!

If the trees are on private land then its up to the customer to clear a path
    As for hoist, I've never seen an instance where they can be ordered without a tech requesting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Fritzelly pretty much has the right of it.
    To clarify if your trees are at the edge of your property (behind fence next to roadway -curtilage) the hoist can trim the trees if well in the garden it's unlikely to be utilised it cannot put it's supports in soft ground. I've had a couple of jobs that have come out first time with hoist I have no idea how but it has happened. I can only assume somebody rang in ahead of appointment.
    It doesn't hurt to try.
    If you think it's excessive overgrowth your probably right and may need to trim them beforehand to save yourself hassle.

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Fritzelly pretty much has the right of it.
    To clarify if your trees are at the edge of your property (behind fence next to roadway -curtilage) the hoist can trim the trees if well in the garden it's unlikely to be utilised it cannot put it's supports in soft ground. I've had a couple of jobs that have come out first time with hoist I have no idea how but it has happened. I can only assume somebody rang in ahead of appointment.
    It doesn't hurt to try.
    If you think it's excessive overgrowth your probably right and may need to trim them beforehand to save yourself hassle.

It's exactly as you say, the bloody trees are doing border/perimeter of the whole property. It's great for shelter from the weather in winter but for things like this it's problematic. But it's as you say. The line comes from the pole across the road and my trees are growing out from a small wall and this is where it looks like a problem. From inside the garden, there is a few branches but I will cut them in the next day or 2. The majority of the congestion is right beside the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement