Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

I'm going to have a bash at taking a few branches away and see how it goes. I don't think I'll be able to make 3 feet on each side of it though. I'll see how it goes.

I have something similar to this but never even thought about it so thanks :)

Just regards the orders situation with one of the previous posters. I was down for install today according to eir sales. I never got any confirmation so rang them yesterday and they told me Open eir sent them a date of Monday the 11th. Eir sales/customer support have told me so many lies over the course of the last few years, I don't know what to believe and not to believe out of their mouth. The Open eir guys are always bang on when they are doing repairs locally for me.

Out of curiosity, if Eir have lied to you so often over the years why did you decide to go with them for FTTH? I'm completely fed up with them at this stage, their customer support are the most unhelpful and incompetent bunch I've ever come across. Once I'm able to order FTTH, I certainly won't be going with them. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

limktime wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if Eir have lied to you so often over the years why did you decide to go with them for FTTH? I'm completely fed up with them at this stage, their customer support are the most unhelpful and incompetent bunch I've ever come across. Once I'm able to order FTTH, I certainly won't be going with them. Never again.

If it's anything like me then cost is the biggest driver.

From a quick fag packet calc, Eir are potentially between 180 and 240 Euro cheaper than competitors over the first year for a 300 meg package.

I haven't ordered yet as FTTH isn't available to me yet, but even knowing how terrible the customer support appears to be, it is still difficult to not keep looking at Eir when it appears to be the cheapest. It is easy to mentally weigh up whether "you might be a lucky one who never has any issues" or "it mightn't be that bad" when it comes to having the bones of 200 quid extra in your back pocket.

FWIW I doubt i'll go with them, but I've repeatedly found myself browsing their products page over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You could save a bit more with Eir by opting for 150 mbps rather than 300. 150 is more than a domestic household needs. The 100 offered in many other countries would be sufficient.

True, but I "work in technology" and so I have other uses for the connection than for pure residential.

The pertinent point is not necessarily just cost savings, but a like for like comparison.

Comparing a 150Mb connection from a competitor to a 300Mb from Eir isn't exactly fair from an apples for apples perspective.

Well if many more people 'who work in technology' sign up and think they can shift tens or hundreds of terabytes a month from home, I think the 1 TB a month FUP will come back and everyone will suffer.

Was there ever a conclusion to the question of whether Eir were throttling the download the internet guy to 150, or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

If it's anything like me then cost is the biggest driver.

46302753204_8c99719a82_o.jpg

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

limktime wrote: »

I've been with Eir around nearly 6 years and it's been painful at times. When there was no issues it was fine and when I did have issues, 99% of the time it was damage outside the house due to storms etc.. but the 'geniuses' on the phone seem to think it has to be the users fault and have users going through internet options etc.. and computer settings, which I suppose could be the first point of procedure, but when you can see the damage across the road with the line down and they won't listen and you literally get passed around from dept to dept it's frustrating. Or if there is a bad crackle on the phone line and they tell you then can't see anything wrong, what can you do.

In my opinion, it's 100% the staff in the call centres who are the idiots, due to lack of training or low IQ's or something. In the 6 years I've been with Eir, the local Open Eir guys are gentlemen and get the job done promptly every single time. Last summer, I wanted a pay as you go number from eir, ported over to eir bill pay and they 'lost' my number, it went up into cyber space, I had the number over 10 years. The incompetence is immense in the call centres.

The reason I went with them for the FTTH is I still have around 6 months contract with them. I wanted to go with Airwire but the cost of both would be too much. The year will fly in, and if there is any bumps in the road I will leave for Airwire next Feb, or if it all goes plain sailing I'll probably just stay with them, I'll see how it goes.

Nice, but there is no actual immutable relationship between cost and quality. Sony and Apple products being a prime example and Irish civil servants being another. Nice when there is, but it's a long way from being a given. There probably was a pretty decent cost/quality relationship from the middle ages up until the 1980's, but not since then.

A higher overall price does not guarantee you better quality. Correct. Research is still required.

The cheapest rock bottom price nearly always guarantees you crap quality of part of the service though. Be it support, or contention or the router supplied or a combination of those.

Simply because the cheaper price comes from savings further up the line.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Will be interesting to see how the "installation" fee is handled when people switch a year down the line. After 12 months Eir are more expensive than Airwire for example. Some of the money saved through out the year could end up being spent to switch provider, if the cost is passed down to the customer.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Well if many more people 'who work in technology' sign up and think they can shift tens or hundreds of terabytes a month from home, I think the 1 TB a month FUP will come back and everyone will suffer.

Bully for them. Bandwidth doesn't necessarily equate to high usage.

All I meant is that I have a wider means of usage than most households and I didn't want to be specific. It's not as if i'll be offsiting terabytes of backups to my house.
    Marlow wrote: »
    46302753204_8c99719a82_o.jpg

/M

Potentially, but as you said later - higher costs doesn't necessarily mean higher quality and the returns often diminish. Like most, I run the household to a budget and reviewing the whole market is prudent to make informed purchasing decisions.

Let's not forget that my last line on my initial post was "FWIW I doubt i'll go with them".

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭yellowbear

chris_ie wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how the "installation" fee is handled when people switch a year down the line. After 12 months Eir are more expensive than Airwire for example. Some of the money saved through out the year could end up being spent to switch provider, if the cost is passed down to the customer.

I was with eir and switched for ftth. I used to have to ring up every year when my contract was up to renegotiate. But just switched to Airwire for better support and no need to ring up every time the contract was up. I was just lucky that ftth went live in my area at the same time my contract ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninkel

Ordered from Eir mid December 2018 when (FTTH) all fibre cables and DPs in Exchange area installed and Eircode listed as available on Airwire Site.
    KN called out about a week later and said the DP was not active.
    The FTTH order listed in MyEir website shows information below in attachment.
    Do I just join the long queue and wait !!

There are many many factors, that play in, when ordering broadband:

- support
    - quality
    - contention
    - limits
    - does the operator have a 3 strikes policy ?
    - pricing ? does it change half way through ?

etc. etc. ...

And yes .. changing providers might not be free anymore very soon.

Most people often only look at the initial pricing and then wonder, why they get screwed half way through.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Have FTTH over a year and a half now, going great, would never go back. Now that the first year of discounts is over the bill is over €80 per month now, thats for Unlimited Free Calls and 150 Gb, pretty expensive. Has anyone managed to get their price down once the first year contract expired? No one from Eir contacted me asking me to sign another contract with an offer which is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninkel

Order Confirmation from Eir Jan 2019:
    (Existing Eir DSL Customer -- out of contract mid 2018)
    Thank you for upgrading your Eir services

Your Bundle Includes:
    Eir Talk Unlimited National, Mobile & UK
    Eir Broadband
    Eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb
    Eir Mobile 100 + EU Roaming + Social (Sim Only)
    Contract Length:
    12 Months
    Promotional Price:
    €104.82 per month
    Regular Price:
    €104.82 per month
    Once Off Charges:
    €99.99

Interesting !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 copycat_1234

I noticed last week engineers were around my road and they seemed to be installing fibre and this evening my neighbour rang me to say we had fibre in the area and that he had sales reps up at his house so i drove up (50 yards away).

After a few moments we came to the conclusion that the fibre rollout did not go as far as my house. I was wondering would it be possible to get one of the OpenAir Engineers to come and connect my house (even if i have to pay for it i will)?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Got a call from Open Eir the 01536 number to confirm for Monday. I just mentioned about the tree situation and they said, the first visit is mostly a survey. If more men/hoist is required it will be passed back to Eir and another appointment will be made for hopefully the same week. But if they can do it, they will. I got out and cut some trees today, so all I can do now it hope for the best they can do it on Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I noticed last week engineers were around my road and they seemed to be installing fibre and this evening my neighbour rang me to say we had fibre in the area and that he had sales reps up at his house so i drove up (50 yards away).

After a few moments we came to the conclusion that the fibre rollout did not go as far as my house. I was wondering would it be possible to get one of the OpenAir Engineers to come and connect my house (even if i have to pay for it i will)?

Check your and your neighbours Eircode on this page

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

If your neighbours says available and yours does not you're out of luck. There is little to no chance of getting connected, paying or otherwise.

this is crazy....I honestly do not understand why they would not connect me ... It is literally one more pole and I would have it .... I wonder would it be possible to pay KN Networks to connect me up

• Advertisement

this is crazy....I honestly do not understand why they would not connect me ... It is literally one more pole and I would have it .... I wonder would it be possible to pay KN Networks to connect me up

You can't pay anyone. As they said themselves they had to stop somewhere. There were always going to be people left out. That's not much consolation for you though.

2019 .. Nobody should be left out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Of course, every house that was not covered by eir or siro is covered by the National Broadband Plan. But they have made a complete balls of that so it makes for depressing reading :(

You have to understand the circumstances of this rollout. It was a reaction by eir to the threat of the National Broadband Plan in particular SIRO. They made a calculated decision to enable 300000 (lately 330000) premises to see off this threat. It was never about connecting everyone.

all it is doing is making ppl angry ... This has to be the worst reaction to a "threat" every ... I don't know how the people that planned this rollout dress themselves every morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You have to understand the circumstances of this rollout. It was a reaction by eir to the threat of the National Broadband Plan in particular SIRO. They made a calculated decision to enable 300000 (lately 330000) premises to see off this threat. It was never about connecting everyone.

Do people generally think this was a bad idea to allow the more easily accessible premises be sold off separately? It makes the contract for the National Broadband Plan much less attractive and resulted in companies pulling out of the bidding.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

tuxy wrote: »
    Do people generally think this was a bad idea to allow the more easily accessible premises be sold off separately?

"Allow" suggests that the Department could legally have prevented open eir from providing services on a commercial basis wherever it wanted.

tuxy wrote: »
    Do people generally think this was a bad idea to allow the more easily accessible premises be sold off separately? It makes the contract for the National Broadband Plan much less attractive and resulted in companies pulling out of the bidding.

The story from the Department is that their legal advice stated that they had no power to prevent eir doing the 300K while leaving the premises in the intervention areas. Some other commentators disagree with this assessment. There is no doubt that the 300K being removed has had a large part to play in where the NBP process has ended up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Got a call from Open Eir the 01536 number to confirm for Monday. I just mentioned about the tree situation and they said, the first visit is mostly a survey. If more men/hoist is required it will be passed back to Eir and another appointment will be made for hopefully the same week. But if they can do it, they will. I got out and cut some trees today, so all I can do now it hope for the best they can do it on Monday!

hope it all goes smoothly for you - fingers crossed. Have been following your journey on here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Ninkel wrote: »

Once Off Charges:
    €99.99

have they dropped the €29.99eur connection fee now I am wondering?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement