Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 copycat_1234

Got a call from Open Eir the 01536 number to confirm for Monday. I just mentioned about the tree situation and they said, the first visit is mostly a survey. If more men/hoist is required it will be passed back to Eir and another appointment will be made for hopefully the same week. But if they can do it, they will. I got out and cut some trees today, so all I can do now it hope for the best they can do it on Monday!

Hey, Mind me asking what they are going for you? Is it just running a cable from your house direct to the pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Pangea wrote: »
    Have FTTH over a year and a half now, going great, would never go back. Now that the first year of discounts is over the bill is over €80 per month now, thats for Unlimited Free Calls and 150 Gb, pretty expensive. Has anyone managed to get their price down once the first year contract expired? No one from Eir contacted me asking me to sign another contract with an offer which is surprising.

Ring Eir Sales and negotiate. I did it in December and renewed my contract when they offered me 56 per month instead of 82. Same deal as you. You might be a while on the phone ...

Mind you, with Eir there's always a chance that you'll hit problems with subsequent billing - experiencing that myself at the moment, but slowly getting it sorted thanks to the Talk To reps on Boards (I hope).

Take a detailed note of every name, date, time, phonecall, details etc. Query the confirmation email if it deviates from what was agreed. Use the app to check on bills. Stay calm and polite but be persistent if the worst happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

hope it all goes smoothly for you - fingers crossed. Have been following your journey on here :)

Thanks! Yes it's been over 5 years of crappy broadband so I really hope it goes off without problems.
    Hey, Mind me asking what they are going for you? Is it just running a cable from your house direct to the pole?

Yes that's exactly it. There is a pole diagonal to my house and that's where the cable will be coming from. The pole next to that has the dp on it. The only issue I have is I have trees obstructing a clear passage in. The good thing in my favour is, there is already a copper wire coming the same route and and the trees are not causing it any issues. There was a hell of a storm last night and no issues with branches hitting the wire etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Ring Eir Sales and negotiate. I did it in December and renewed my contract when they offered me 56 per month instead of 82. Same deal as you. You might be a while on the phone ...

Mind you, with Eir there's always a chance that you'll hit problems with subsequent billing - experiencing that myself at the moment, but slowly getting it sorted thanks to the Talk To reps on Boards (I hope).

Take a detailed note of every name, date, time, phonecall, details etc. Query the confirmation email if it deviates from what was agreed. Use the app to check on bills. Stay calm and polite but be persistent if the worst happens.

What happened with your bills? 82 instead of the promised 56?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Thanks! Yes it's been over 5 years of crappy broadband so I really hope it goes off without problems.

Yes that's exactly it. There is a pole diagonal to my house and that's where the cable will be coming from. The pole next to that has the dp on it. The only issue I have is I have trees obstructing a clear passage in. The good thing in my favour is, there is already a copper wire coming the same route and and the trees are not causing it any issues. There was a hell of a storm last night and no issues with branches hitting the wire etc...

Fingers crossed for you. Hoping all goes well.

Regarding people not covered by ftth there's no way you can pay your way through the issue. I had an order someone used a neibhours eircode pulled up to that eircode and rang homeowner on phone who told me to drive up lane until I saw a red gate or something. House was literally only one pole away but completely different eircode pointed this out to the customer and then checked the customers eircode to find out they were not eligible. Job got failed for incorrect address but I couldn't see them getting past openeirs rules.
    Essentially I couldn't do the job because it'd be stealing the other eircode's port. Why they weren't included baffled me as I said it'd be the easiest thing if I was allowed do it. They then tried to see if they could bribe me 300 quid to do it anyway. The system is so restrictive for a reason had I ignored it there'd be hell to pay when the person who lives at the eircode used asks to get connected.
    The customer rang me back later and said he was talking to someone high up in openeir who could get him indexed that day and could I give him the ug order details as someone else was going to do it. It's unheard of but he could have been telling the truth.
    You could try to push with fibrepower@openeir or dccae and see if they can get you added if there's spare ports. (Disclaimer: I don't know if this approach works ive just heard people say they got added after alot of arguing for 18~ months or so)

• Advertisement

Where are we at with the nbp
    Last I heard of it was checked and found to not be compromised by naughtons naughtieness
    And that they would announce their chosen tender and it just went silent after that?

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Where are we at with the nbp
    Last I heard of it was checked and found to not be compromised by naughtons naughtieness
    And that they would announce their chosen tender and it just went silent after that?

Still evaluating...
    Asked later about when a decision is likely to be made on the National Broadband Plan, he said Minister for Communications Richard Bruton and his team are doing an a lot of work on evaluating the final stages of that project, but declined to say when that would be concluded.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0201/1026875-irish-strategic-investment-fund/

That reads like they never want to actually deliver on it just skim across the topic and say next question please.

I know I'll probably get derided for this one but could they not just get the opw to run fibre and ducting everywhere and let different providers put their own multiplexers and repeaters along it. I might be looking at it too simplisticly but surely if the state just ran the glass themselves they could cut out alot of the planning and get most of the physical network done. Marlow explained that the cable can carry multiple streams of traffic so it could probably host sirio and open eir enet just putting them all on different wavelengths.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    That reads like they never want to actually deliver on it just skim across the topic and say next question please.

I know I'll probably get derided for this one but could they not just get the opw to run fibre and ducting everywhere and let different providers put their own multiplexers and repeaters along it. I might be looking at it too simplisticly but surely if the state just ran the glass themselves they could cut out alot of the planning and get most of the physical network done. Marlow explained that the cable can carry multiple streams of traffic so it could probably host sirio and open eir enet just putting them all on different wavelengths.

This is really a discussion for the other thread but they have to see out this process one way or the other. Your suggestion might come into play if they refuse the remaining consortium. It's bad timing though with Brexit, children's hospital overrun etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The NBP is a hot potato right now. With the childrens hospital issues they don't want another scandal before the elections.

So buy time, buy time, buy time, avoid, avoid , avoid.

Next PAC hearing should be interesting.

/M

• Advertisement

I'm 35Meters away from the pole where the fibre connection is. So literally two telephone poles. If I rang eir / sky etc and said I would cover the cost if they arranged have I no chance if getting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm 35Meters away from the pole where the fibre connection is. So literally two telephone poles. If I rang eir / sky etc and said I would cover the cost if they arranged have I no chance if getting it?

It's not up to them it's open eir's decision. It's not a matter of cost just the fact that their roll out plan is already behind so I can't see them taking the time to connect people just outside the rollout plan. Big companies like sky and eir retail are going to be less interested than smaller companies. One of the smaller ISPs might agree to contact open eir about it but I don't think it will work.

If you have line of sight to a neighbour who you are friendly with you could setup a wireless link and share the monthly fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

What happened with your bills? 82 instead of the promised 56?

They 'forgot' to apply the agreed discount (twice) but the Boards rep says it's all sorted for next month. Just have to keep on top of it now.

It's still the best deal for me with the Eir Talk app in particular and the call package. It's not all about money - though that helps!

So far, I have no problem with the FTTH itself - I'm aware that Eir has considerable customer service :rolleyes: difficulties, so I hope I don't have any other problems apart from billing. Incorrect bills can always be sorted, even if the nuclear option of adjusting the DD has to be invoked at some point.

tuxy wrote: »
    It's not up to them it's open eir's decision. It's not a matter of cost just the fact that their roll out plan is already behind so I can't see them taking the time to connect people just outside the rollout plan. Big companies like sky and eir retail are going to be less interested than smaller companies. One of the smaller ISPs might agree to contact open eir about it but I don't think it will work.

If you have line of sight to a neighbour who you are friendly with you could setup a wireless link and share the monthly fee.

Good idea ... I am going to contact the local ISP's and see .... I wonder if i offered one of the guys doing the rollout a few quid would they hook me up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

So, I got FTTH installed last Monday (the 4th). Eir 300Mb package: €35.99 pm for 12 months.

I wasn't expecting it to be installed, I just presumed that there'd be some problem with my duct. Anyway, the installer tried using the rods from both ends of the duct but couldn't get passed some of the bends. So he just cut the copper cable and use that to pull the fibre through. I'm delighted with it! 4ms ping and no lag from other people using the internet when gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Good idea ... I am going to contact the local ISP's and see .... I wonder if i offered one of the guys doing the rollout a few quid would they hook me up :)

Here's the list of providers
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/

babi-hrse works for KN check out this post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109381912&postcount=7176

Every port is already assigned to an Eircode so they probably won't take a bribe since it will be found out eventually.

Here's the list of providers
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/

babi-hrse works for KN check out this post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109381912&postcount=7176

Every port is already assigned to an Eircode so they probably won't take a bribe since it will be found out eventually.

Cheers .. The worst thing is 85% of the houses down my road do not want it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You're not getting the message - you are past the rollout, you have no chance of getting added, even people where the rollout passes them have only a slim chance of getting added. Every new house that is added has to be approved by Openeir and if they are not responding to you then no ISP can do anything to circumvent it. If it was possible they would have responded to you within 24/48 hours.
    And you cannot buy your way into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

fritzelly wrote: »
    Or just get something like this
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=16244
    (I have one and they work great even thru thick branches)

Got something last summer in Homebase. Its a mighty job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

the trouble is some people are trying to apply 'old ireland' whereby a bribe could get things done, or a "its not what you know , its who you know" for a modern solution.

The DP's are tied up to eircodes and allocated and that's the problem now - if your not down on the list, you cant come in! I think thats how it works now.

• Advertisement

I think a more apt description would be every indexed eircode is assigned a port as there are spares in many but without an eircode indexed for ftth nobody will connect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

the trouble is some people are trying to apply 'old ireland' whereby a bribe could get things done, or a "its not what you know , its who you know" for a modern solution.

The DP's are tied up to eircodes and allocated and that's the problem now - if your not down on the list, you cant come in! I think thats how it works now.

Except in Donegal ;) I'll say no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Eir have announced an urban FTTH roll-out to 1.4 million homes. Looks like this will over lay the FTTC network and compete directly with Virgin and SIRO. It will be an XGS-PON network capable of 10G. They also indicated that 80k-100K premises of the NBP Footprint will consumed by this rollout. That brings NBP down to about 440K homes and more unviable than ever.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-plans-500m-upgrade-to-broadband-network-1.3789447

https://twitter.com/peterodwyer1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I like the RTÉ report on that, which says it’s bringing broadband to 1.4 premises at a cost of €500 million.

They could do with giving it a read before publishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

joe_99 wrote: »
    Eir have announced an urban FTTH roll-out to 1.4 million homes. Looks like this will over lay the FTTC network and compete directly with Virgin and SIRO. It will be an XGS-PON network capable of 10G. They also indicated that 80k-100K premises of the NBP Footprint will consumed by this rollout. That brings NBP down to about 440K homes and more unviable than ever.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-plans-500m-upgrade-to-broadband-network-1.3789447

https://twitter.com/peterodwyer1

Makes sense - they should have the rural finished by june this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The story from the Department is that their legal advice stated that they had no power to prevent eir doing the 300K while leaving the premises in the intervention areas. Some other commentators disagree with this assessment. There is no doubt that the 300K being removed has had a large part to play in where the NBP process has ended up.
    I don't have a link for it now but the Department said they were told by the EU that they had to adjust the plan for the Eir plan. The Department had no choice. This goes back to EU state aid rules and actually shows up the glaring bias in those.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask and I tried to look through as much of the thread as possible but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have a new build house which is within the FTTH rollout area. My neighbors either side of me and across the road can get it and the pole with the Fibre connection is actually directly outside my house.

The problem I face now is having my Eircode added to the database so then Eir will be able to see that I can get it as currently they cannot and keep trying to get me to install a landline which would be pointless with the quality of broadband in this area over the landline.

I have emailed the fibre rollout team about 5 times now over the last 2 months but with no reply.

Has anyone been in a similar position and know how to get the Eircode added or how I can proceed with this request? I couldn't find any contact number for OpenEir only the email address which no one seems to be looking at.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

If the fibrepower email is not responding then you are probably out of luck, maybe all ports are taken
    Sometimes the best thing to do is order a PSTN line and see what the tech says when he comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

fritzelly wrote: »
    If the fibrepower email is not responding then you are probably out of luck, maybe all ports are taken
    Sometimes the best thing to do is order a PSTN line and see what the tech says when he comes out.

Thanks for the reply. I know for certain that all the ports aren't taken as only one of my neighbors have actually got set up with it and the technician who installed that told him there were 4 ports on that connection available.

I would have hoped to get a reply at least telling me it wasn't possible but it seems they have given up with that email address

• Advertisement

Ports are allocated to eircodes for 2 years regardless if they are being used.
    The email is still being used and usually you get a response within 48 hours if successful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement