Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

fritzelly wrote: »
    Ports are allocated to eircodes for 2 years regardless if they are being used.
    The email is still being used and usually you get a response within 48 hours if successful

That's crazy, so houses who have been assigned them and no intention of using them keep them for 2 years before others can use them?

Would have been a lot more sense to assign as they are ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

What does this mean for those of us hoping to get FTTH, Our cab is about 800m from the estate so the estate has FTTC
    runs between 16-23mb, be great if they did our three Joined up estates total about 150 houses, We're semi rural
    took long enough for us to get FTTC, but as time goes on its starting to struggle in modern days.

Always felt little clusters like ours would be prime targets for Open Eir, decent no. of homes with a Cab already fibre enabled nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

joe_99 wrote: »
    Eir have announced an urban FTTH roll-out to 1.4 million homes. Looks like this will over lay the FTTC network and compete directly with Virgin and SIRO. It will be an XGS-PON network capable of 10G. They also indicated that 80k-100K premises of the NBP Footprint will consumed by this rollout. That brings NBP down to about 440K homes and more unviable than ever.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-plans-500m-upgrade-to-broadband-network-1.3789447

https://twitter.com/peterodwyer1

Sweet Jesus, I hope I'm part of this new roll out. Currently 20MB VDSL for €40 p/m is the only option in our area. That or 2MB mobile data (on a good day).

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Anyone else wondering how dubinthewhesst got on with his install?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

babi-hrse wrote: »

Probably busy downloading the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Probably busy downloading the internet

Hi guys! I wish I was fritzelly, I wish I was.

It didn't go ahead today because of the trees. The engineer was a gentleman and had a good look at the situation. He showed me where more trees needed to be taken down. I had originally used a 'lopper' like the one you linked fritzelly but it hadn't got the range like the lidl one. The guy had a look around the house too and made a plan for when the install happens.

So what I did was, went to lidl and bought that telescopic one you linked, it only went on sale today. I've been out there all day clipping and sawing and I'm absolutely wrecked lol

I just about have the trees back to where the chap suggested so I rang eir and have a new appointment for Thursday morning.

I'll be back out there tomorrow and Wednesday doing more cutting but I got the bulk of it done today.

I really hope I get the same chap on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

daithilfc wrote: »
    That's crazy, so houses who have been assigned them and no intention of using them keep them for 2 years before others can use them?

Would have been a lot more sense to assign as they are ordered.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108989671&postcount=6177

It's up to you how awkward you will be about this. If it were me I'd be kicking up a fuss until I was connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Johnjsm21

Hi
    Had the engineer out this morning to install my FTTH line. I knew before hand that installation would not go ahead due to location of the pole with the black box on it. Line goes under ground after that pole on opposite side of main road to my house. So only possible way to get line across to my house is by putting up at least two new poles. I’ve never had a phone line before. Does anyone know if there is a cost to having poles erected. Fortunately the location of first pole will be in my fathers land so no issues with permission.
    If any Eir people online could help it would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108989671&postcount=6177

It's up to you how awkward you will be about this. If it were me I'd be kicking up a fuss until I was connected.

Thanks for the tip Navi ...I'll give them 2 more emails and one week and if nothing then it I'll be pushing to that other email to get things moved along.

Johnjsm21 wrote: »
    Hi
    Had the engineer out this morning to install my FTTH line. I knew before hand that installation would not go ahead due to location of the pole with the black box on it. Line goes under ground after that pole on opposite side of main road to my house. So only possible way to get line across to my house is by putting up at least two new poles. I’ve never had a phone line before. Does anyone know if there is a cost to having poles erected. Fortunately the location of first pole will be in my fathers land so no issues with permission.
    If any Eir people online could help it would be great

I think it's up to the installer to recommend the need for pole installation. Did the guy who came out not mention anything about needing poles? open eir usually cover the cost of the pole(s) as far as I know.

• Advertisement

I think it's up to the installer to recommend the need for pole installation. Did the guy who came out not mention anything about needing poles? open eir usually cover the cost of the pole(s) as far as I know.

Yeah. The guy said at least two poles needed.

Yeah. The guy said at least two poles needed.

And did he say that he ordered them? If so open eir/ KN should take care of everything.

And did he say that he ordered them? If so open eir/ KN should take care of everything.

No. Said he would give information to someone and they would ring me about it. I guess I’ll just have to wait. Thought someone might have gone through something similar

No. Said he would give information to someone and they would ring me about it. I guess I’ll just have to wait. Thought someone might have gone through something similar

There have been cases here where people have had poles installed. The two threads are very large so it's hard to find them though.

It will be passed on to the network build center - they make the final decision. Generally up to 3 poles is ok, beyond that the cost is too much.
    But I'm guessing the poles will be at the roadside? If so don't expect anything to happen for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You might get a call tomorrow (if not already) with a projection date for your install. Mine took two months I think. No poles just no light at DP. My neighbour needed a pole though and it took the same amount of time 2 months.

It will be passed on to the network build center - they make the final decision. Generally up to 3 poles is ok, beyond that the cost is too much.
    But I'm guessing the poles will be at the roadside? If so don't expect anything to happen for months.

No. One pole on my fathers land and one in my garden. So from current eir pole to new pole in fathers land then to pole in my garden to gable of house.
    Engineer also said it would take about two weeks

No. One pole on my fathers land and one in my garden. So from current eir pole to new pole in fathers land then to pole in my garden to gable of house.
    Engineer also said it would take about two weeks

In that case yeah usually around 2 week turn around.

engineer doesnt know when poles will arrive
    its just an estimated based on experience from when an order was sent for pole request and the next visit by same engineer.

having said that sometimes the civil arm have their hands full and timelines get pushed out.
    for public poles generally this takes longer as permits are needed and often traffic managment in the form of stop and go traffic systems.
    private poles get done quicker.

i think the taxpayer pays for the pole theres a limit but i dont know what that is.

if you had to sign a wayleave its private poles
    if not their public poles.

i think the taxpayer pays for the pole theres a limit but i dont know what that is.

What? This is a private company, nothing to do with the tax payer
    The limit is usually 3

• Advertisement

sorry i think the cost is borne by all customers on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

OpenEIR takes the cost .. and it goes down in their budget.

This is a private company. It has nothing to do with customers or not. It's a budgetting exercise.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Lets the story begins...

I placed order last Thursday (07.02.2019) got message for install next days (scheduled for 12.02.2019).

Called KN network today to confirm installation - got info that order has been canceled on Thursday by EIR (this same day when i placed order).

My neighbour placed order weeks ago and he supposed to get install done last week, he got message that there is a problem with distribution box and will be fix by 31st of April...

So now... wait...wait...wait...

Just add to it, after waiting on hold for more than 45 min EIR told me that everything is ok with the order and will be installed today - OMG

Someone in eir just reading the screen, you are probably connected to the same DP as your neighbour and have the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

domeld wrote: »
    ... he got message that there is a problem with distribution box and will be fix by 31st of April...

I need educating - why such a long delay to get a DP fixed? or are they just covering their ass?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I need educating - why such a long delay to get a DP fixed? or are they just covering their ass?

OpenEIR default scheduling is 3 months from date of fault identified.

Two scenarios:
    - they may fix it before then.
    - once they hit that day in 3 months, they add another 3 months.

It's just the way they operate.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Martin - How can some areas say available (mine for example) yet, I know it's not...the OpenEir guys left a big spool of fibre outside the house, so not finished yet, and no DPs are up on any of the poles in the area. They are clearly working as they're around in the village & making the odd trip outside the house. But I knew not to get too excited when it said 6/2/19. Now it says Available! In fairness, it's on the Eir Fibrerollout site as being available also.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Still nothing for my area, though, of the houses around me only 4 houses are not passed (orange) the rest are purple and are on the other side of a field.

I did talk to your colleague (Tommy) last week about VDSL so looks like that's my only choice, cant keep relying on mobile data tethering as I'm with Three and our area has bad coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 softlad

After the usual will they won't they saga, with Eir now KN, telling me i can expect them on the 11th for installation, KN ringing to cancel 2 days before then calling again yesterday to say they'll install today. To be fair called and turned up at 8.am. today only to say they couldn't do anything as thing wasn't actually on the pole dp or some yoke, doesn't fill me full of confidence anybody knowing what the fuxx happening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement