Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

if anyone should know what is working and what is not working you would think its either KN or Openeir and not keep mucking about customers like this .

I have heard stories (on this thread before I think it is) of engineers getting in touch with customers , say they will be there at 8am .. only to turn up and 'not find a light' at the DP or something missing or something not right at the exchange or something and a failed install - they simply should not be mucking about customers like this and should know a lot in advance before they give a customer an install date and time that everything is working ok (well at least up to DP outside a persons premises anyway at least)

I can understand if they turn up and they cannot install if the duct say from DP to premises is blocked and its a failed install, no problem that cannot be helped but expecting people to take time off work or what have you only to be told that the 'system' or something on the system isnt complete or working properly well thats not on - terrible service to the general public

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

myate wrote: »
    Martin - How can some areas say available (mine for example) yet, I know it's not...the OpenEir guys left a big spool of fibre outside the house, so not finished yet, and no DPs are up on any of the poles in the area. They are clearly working as they're around in the village & making the odd trip outside the house. But I knew not to get too excited when it said 6/2/19. Now it says Available! In fairness, it's on the Eir Fibrerollout site as being available also.

Hi,
    generally the available date is an estimate and sometimes they run behind on the build. We have seen that in quite a few places.

Unfortunately, they rarely adjust the available date in the data we get, so it goes "live", when that date is passed even though they're not ready on the ground.

But most places like that, it will be in place within 3-4 weeks of that date. It isn't a straightforward build and OpenEIR is a big organisation. So they don't always move fast enough to adjust those dates.

Apologies for that. But we can only go by the data that we are provided with.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

either KN or Openeir and not keep mucking about customers like this .

KNN are a joke, less so now, but still a joke. They do things like turn up for VDSL installs with no keys for the cabinet to jumper the customer then spend 3hrs chasing colleagues for them. Thats not even the worst of it.

OpenEir could have gone with other firms but they paid peanuts and got monkeys. Skys 2-part install was(is) a mess but they had good reason to do it, weren't sending KNN anywhere near a customer using their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

The Fibrerollout website has been updated. My Eircode now says first half of 2019 after saying 2018 for the past two years. Progress I suppose, but at least I’m still on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Roen wrote: »
    Ordered 300Mb there Friday 1st Feb. Fingers crossed.

Install date of 15th given. So two weeks. I see the fiber out at the pole on my fence line coiled up.

Bad news though. I thought the existing phone line ran from the shore into the house. It runs down the pole into the ground and there's no pull rope.

Looks like I'm in for a lot of digging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

ED E wrote: »
    KNN are a joke, less so now, but still a joke. They do things like turn up for VDSL installs with no keys for the cabinet to jumper the customer then spend 3hrs chasing colleagues for them. Thats not even the worst of it.

OpenEir could have gone with other firms but they paid peanuts and got monkeys. Skys 2-part install was(is) a mess but they had good reason to do it, weren't sending KNN anywhere near a customer using their name.

Wouldn't spend 3 hours chasing a set of keys down.
    But yes there are exchanges and cabs that require keys and some techs don't have the key to them. A joke it is alright.
    City center is even worse. Things are located in government buildings or in courtyards of businesses and you can't get in without access from landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Hi,
    generally the available date is an estimate and sometimes they run behind on the build. We have seen that in quite a few places.

Unfortunately, they rarely adjust the available date in the data we get, so it goes "live", when that date is passed even though they're not ready on the ground.

But most places like that, it will be in place within 3-4 weeks of that date. It isn't a straightforward build and OpenEIR is a big organisation. So they don't always move fast enough to adjust those dates.

Apologies for that. But we can only go by the data that we are provided with.

getting a feeling this could be me on the fedamore exchange also, they have one road left (mine) to do with drop boxes and 8 poles left to run cable on. less than a week to go live and all the difusion guys seem to have left and are pulling fibre in main street bruff, seriously thinking about kidnapping them if they dont turn up tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Skys 2-part install was(is) a mess but they had good reason to do it, weren't sending KNN anywhere near a customer using their name.

Completely agree with this, if I was in charge I wouldn't let KNN near my customers either. Had a Sky fttc instal done not so long ago. It was fairly smooth tbh, although maybe I wouldn't be saying that if I'd had a failed activation or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Completely agree with this, if I was in charge I wouldn't let KNN near my customers either. Had a Sky fttc instal done not so long ago. It was fairly smooth tbh, although maybe I wouldn't be saying that if I'd had a failed activation or similar.

FTTC installs are a whole different ball game from FTTH

Fttc cab tasks are based on cable records. When a cable path gets changed and hasn't been updated the line can be in the wrong location.
    Nobody will know this unless they physically check the phone socket it's based on the assumption that the cable paths are correct like their supposed to be. For sky jobs kn does not come to the phone socket unless it's a full line install.
    The job comes out then as a failed activation which is to say somebody goes ok fine go to the house and do what needs to be done to ensure the line is actually at socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 softlad

Taking a day off work to accommodate these jokers, who 5 minutes later tell you the dp isn't on the pole rises your b.p.and then they can't tell you when they might be back, perfect bed friends with Eir, another joke of a successful Irish company to be proud off. quote="Andy From Sligo;109406894"]if anyone should know what is working and what is not working you would think its either KN or Openeir and not keep mucking about customers like this .

I have heard stories (on this thread before I think it is) of engineers getting in touch with customers , say they will be there at 8am .. only to turn up and 'not find a light' at the DP or something missing or something not right at the exchange or something and a failed install - they simply should not be mucking about customers like this and should know a lot in advance before they give a customer an install date and time that everything is working ok (well at least up to DP outside a persons premises anyway at least)

I can understand if they turn up and they cannot install if the duct say from DP to premises is blocked and its a failed install, no problem that cannot be helped but expecting people to take time off work or what have you only to be told that the 'system' or something on the system isnt complete or working properly well thats not on - terrible service to the general public[/quote]

All first appointments should be seen as survey only and not an install unless everything is in place.
    Nothing to do with KN being bed fellows with eir.

Openeir are totally at fault here and shouldn't be saying an area/house/street or whatever is ready to go when all the DP's may not be active but at the end of the day they don't really care. They don't talk to customers so it's easy for them to be blasé with the telecom companies as it's them that have to relay the information to the customer who just sees their provider as the issue and know nothing about Openeir for the most part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fritzelly wrote: »
    All first appointments should be seen as survey only and not an install unless everything is in place.
    Nothing to do with KN being bed fellows with eir.

Openeir are totally at fault here and shouldn't be saying an area/house/street or whatever is ready to go when all the DP's may not be active but at the end of the day they don't really care. They don't talk to customers so it's easy for them to be blasé with the telecom companies as it's them that have to relay the information to the customer who just sees their provider as the issue and know nothing about Openeir for the most part

It's actually ridiculous. Whatever about sending installers out and they discover cabling faults or whatever giving no light at DP but sending people out to install when the infrastructure is not even on the pole is a complete joke. I feel sorry for the front line staff having to deal with this.

medoc wrote: »
    The Fibrerollout website has been updated. My Eircode now says first half of 2019 after saying 2018 for the past two years. Progress I suppose, but at least I’m still on the list.

here's what I get - but i am always checking with airwire and it still says 'coming soon' ...

I can currently get 7mbps down - thats VDSL from openeir .. hardly fibre (well OK , technically fibre as far as the cabinet ... and then travels through copper)

472917.jpg

.. and Knn keep getting rewarded by getting their contract renewed fro OE - nice one.

where do defusion utilities factor in this because I have seen their vans in my area installing the DP's etc ... are they contracted by openeir or Knn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

.. and Knn keep getting rewarded by getting their contract renewed fro OE - nice one.

where do defusion utilities factor in this because I have seen their vans in my area installing the DP's etc ... are they contracted by openeir or Knn?

I'd guess that they are a subcontractor to KN. KN get first mention on their clients page!

https://defusion-us.com/?pageid=1

By KN

Re your download speeds, it may be worthwhile to recheck the line, it's very much dependent on the upload speed but they may be able to move you upto the next profile, only issue is if they do the quality drops and you end up with dropped packets etc so you are actually worse off, different providers have different tolerances

By KN

Re your download speeds, it may be worthwhile to recheck the line, it's very much dependent on the upload speed but they may be able to move you upto the next profile, only issue is if they do the quality drops and you end up with dropped packets etc so you are actually worse off, different providers have different tolerances

I'm not actually with ADSL/VDSL - never been an activated PTSN in this house we are in but I know what you mean. - I am actually 12mbps FWA customer at the moment and just holding out for FTTH - my FWA provider said they could upgrade me to 20mbps but would have to sign up for another 18month contract so just patiently doing the waiting game for FTTH - it cannot be much longer off surely

Oh yeah forgot

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

here's what I get - but i am always checking with airwire and it still says 'coming soon' ...

I can currently get 7mbps down - thats VDSL from openeir .. hardly fibre (well OK , technically fibre as far as the cabinet ... and then travels through copper)

472917.jpg

It must be torturous with the cabling in place etc and no sign of a connection. The change on the checker to 2019 is the only progress I’ve seen round here. Though they did cut the ditches and replace some poles this time last year.

• Advertisement

Andys only hope for the future is they plan to be finished by mid 2019, I've known areas in similar positions where it has taken ages to fix whatever the issue was, usually an hardware problem and not something you can buy off the shelf

medoc wrote: »
    It must be torturous with the cabling in place etc and no sign of a connection. The change on the checker to 2019 is the only progress I’ve seen round here. Though they did cut the ditches and replace some poles this time last year.

it has been torturous to start off with , then I was desperate , then annoyed , then went through a phase of I cant be assed when it does become available because I have had 12mbps for years now and been getting on with it (but of course 150mbps would be nice) - its been a rollercoaster for sure .

It just would have been nice somewhere along communications with openeir on twitter (by DM even) if they would just be honest and wrote back and said what the hold up has been from finishing the job they started, I dunno, that maybe if they said something like "everything is in place but we are waiting for some new equipment to be delivered at the exchange or OLT" or something like that , or that there has been a problem in one area of running the fibre from pole to pole , or that the installers were needed in another area ... you know, just some truth into what the hold up is / was instead of some secret society or hearing rumours /chinese whispers in the village about what the hold up is or ignored correspondence .. but no, thats just as annoying as the delay .. not really knowing what is going on. I repair computers for a living and I even have people asking me what has happened to FTTH in the area (it was all installed, fibre cable and DP's last july) and even I have to tell them "I am sorry even I dont know what the hold up is or when it will become available" - they automatically think I have some inside information because part of my work involves installing internet and routers for people .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

it has been torturous to start off with , then I was desperate , then annoyed , then went through a phase of I cant be assed when it does become available because I have had 12mbps for years now and been getting on with it (but of course 150mbps would be nice) - its been a rollercoaster for sure .

It just would have been nice somewhere along communications with openeir on twitter (by DM even) if they would just be honest and wrote back and said what the hold up has been from finishing the job they started, I dunno, that maybe if they said something like "everything is in place but we are waiting for some new equipment to be delivered at the exchange or OLT" or something like that , or that there has been a problem in one area of running the fibre from pole to pole , or that the installers were needed in another area ... you know, just some truth into what the hold up is / was instead of some secret society or hearing rumours /chinese whispers in the village about what the hold up is or ignored correspondence .. but no, thats just as annoying as the delay .. not really knowing what is going on. I repair computers for a living and I even have people asking me what has happened to FTTH in the area (it was all installed, fibre cable and DP's last july) and even I have to tell them "I am sorry even I dont know what the hold up is or when it will become available" - they automatically think I have some inside information because part of my work involves installing internet and routers for people .

Some advice - contacting OE via twitter - useless.
    Contacting OE via email - slow but you will get a response that goes on record.

What I've found is they will lie to you via email pretty much the same way they do over every other channel - but at least you can keep track of communications easily and pull them up on their own lies at a later stage - if nothing else it's satisfying to catch them out. - I've done this before on misinformation they were publishing on that rollout map.
    They have consistently lied to me on when FTTC/FTTH etc. was being rolled out in my area - neither so far. Latest communication via email they told me I would be connected by May 2019 - all I can say is I ain't holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Knowing how VM ran cable from house to house why don't eir do that and forget poles/ducting
    Seems very backwards thinking to rely on old infrastructure at least in urban areas

What does that mean? If it's not on poles and not underground, are you saying it just lies on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

I've actually given up hope. I've tweeted open eir and they told me map was updated. Absolutely no new info for my area and with just over 4 months to go until the rural 335k is finished I believe we will be forgotten about.

I just hope Martin from airwiwe can shed a bit of light on situation for me. I know dromina in Co cork is only due to get fttc and i swear I check airwires fibre checker religiously every Tuesday afternoon.

Le sigh....

I've actually given up hope. I've tweeted open eir and they told me map was updated. Absolutely no new info for my area and with just over 4 months to go until the rural 335k is finished I believe we will be forgotten about.

I just hope Martin from airwiwe can shed a bit of light on situation for me. I know dromina in Co cork is only due to get fttc and i swear I check airwires fibre checker religiously every Tuesday afternoon.

Le sigh....

imagine if we all had to 'pay per click' everytime we checked the airwire availability checker - that would give them a tidy sum to look forward to without doing anything :) (well, I dont mean that because look at all the time they must out in updating the database/availability checker)

But its not right though , if Openeir were doing things right of course it would be the first port of call for someone to go to OE and have an up to date availability checker updated every Tuesday (or whenever it is) and not have to rely on a third party ISP to see if FTTC/FTTH is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

zzz....but would have to sign up for another 18month contract so just patiently doing the waiting game for FTTH - it cannot be much longer off surely
    imagine if we all had to 'pay per click' everytime we checked the airwire availability checker ...

Your idea of 'patient' is a very long way from mine. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

Like a spoiled child so i am, want want want. Saying that living here 7 years and for those 7 years have had maybe 2mb to 5mb Max. Saw someone post earlier in the thread once they got fibre they could do more than one thing online at a time. A boy can dream

Like a spoiled child so i am, want want want. Saying that living here 7 years and for those 7 years have had maybe 2mb to 5mb Max. Saw someone post earlier in the thread once they got fibre they could do more than one thing online at a time. A boy can dream

I wouldnt say you are like a spoilt child at all - many times I can get on perfectly with my 12mbps FWA .. but boy when there are times I need to download a big file, or it slows down to 3mbps or less with contention or certain time of the day or when you are trying to watch something on youtube or rte player and it goes pixelly or constantly keeps freezing/buffering it becomes very frustrating, I am the same.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    What does that mean? If it's not on poles and not underground, are you saying it just lies on the ground?

Across soffit and fascia of a row of houses. They do this for copper in older estates. Let's say I wouldn't be the biggest fan of that idea.
    To add to edE's fire imagine staying at home for an appointment and finding out that the dp on the house two doors over and neibhour between them is not home so cannot get permission to be propping a ladder up to bring a cable across their soffit and fascia and neibhour with dp attached to their house says bluntly
    "who's it for?"
    "Chap two doors over"
    "No f**k him he wouldn't let UPC run their cables across his house so everyone on this side can't get service"
    Then ya have to tell him can't do it you need to get permission from your neibhour and you need to talk to the other. At least UPC had the foresight to put the oscillators (coax dps) between semi detached on the boundary.
    As Fritzelly said ftth, completely different ballgame altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement