Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Golden Co Tipperary is now showing:

5VNAONM.png?1

Somthing Martin from Airwire told me before the New Year, so Airwire on the ball well before Eir website :rolleyes:

I wish I could believe it will be the first half of 2019 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Headshot wrote: »
    Golden Co Tipperary is now showing:

5VNAONM.png?1

Somthing Martin from Airwire told me before the New Year, so Airwire on the ball well before Eir website :rolleyes:

I wish I could believe it will be the first half of 2019 :(

Yeah seems like smaller exchange areas no matter how densely populated are left till the end. I suppose we should be thankful we’ll be getting it at all - but it has been what seems like an eternity waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I wouldnt say you are like a spoilt child at all - many times I can get on perfectly with my 12mbps FWA .. but boy when there are times I need to download a big file, or it slows down to 3mbps or less with contention or certain time of the day or when you are trying to watch something on youtube or rte player and it goes pixelly or constantly keeps freezing/buffering it becomes very frustrating, I am the same.

I was living with 20mb FWA for the last 3 years, cabling was installed in April 2018, went live in November….took me until a fortnight ago to get round to getting connected.

Although I agree that living on a FWA connection has been fine (and a life saver), now, on 350mb the difference is incredible. Takes seconds to DL a HD movie file, I can download and game without it lagging my game, kids can watch YT, wife on Netflix, can media stream UHD movies and nothing skips s beat.

I also noticed that after 2 weeks now I’ve never had to reboot my router. I was doing it daily with the FWA provider, I was always on to them but they claimed there was no issue their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Hi lads, well exceptional news for me but a bit of a glitch. I'll ring Eir in the morning but if anyone has any pre-advice before I call them, it would be appreciated.

First, I got the FTTH installed today, which I'm absolutely delighted with! It was a bit of a slog as more trees had to be cut back but it's done and dusted now and I'm over the moon.

The glitch side of it is, I'm paying for 1000mbs down and 100mbs up. When I got it installed I did a speed test with a galaxy s8 on the 2.4ghz and it came back around the 45mbs down, which is fine. The up speed was roughly the same.

Then I did a speed test on the galaxy s8 on the 5ghz and it came back around 200 or 220mbs down and 100mbs up.

I then did a wired test to my i7 laptop with gigabit card via cat 6 cable and also cat 5e, and down speed is identical to the 5ghz, I'm getting between 200 and 220mbs down and 100mbs up. I've tried it on 2 separate laptops with 1gbps cards and the same every time.

Profile issue within Eir, or install issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

no profile issue. Because you have the 100 Mbit/s up.

How are you testing ? What service ? What server ? What browser ?

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    no profile issue. Because you have the 100 Mbit/s up.

How are you testing ? What service ? What server ? What browser ?

/M

via speedtest.net chose airwire server and numerous others. I have eir ftth 1000mbs and I'm with eir, installed by kn. I've tried on 2 laptops with cat6 cable and also cat 5e cable wired directly to the f2000. I've tried on chrome, firefox and edge. All bring back nearly identical speeds.

via speedtest.net chose airwire server and numerous others. I have eir ftth 1000mbs and I'm with eir, installed by kn. I've tried on 2 laptops with cat6 cable and also cat 5e cable wired directly to the f2000. I've tried on chrome, firefox and edge. All bring back nearly identical speeds.

Ok .... a couple of facts:

- Speedtest.net .. airwire server .. good choice. try also Blacknight (Carlow) and Northwest Broadband (Sligo) servers .. just to be sure to be sure
    - FTTH ... speed is never an issue. If you get the 100 Mbit/s upload, you're on the right profile
    - testing with multiple laptops, with i7 CPU ... you should be seeing 800+

What is left at the end of the day is that darn F2000. And yes .. you may ring them about that.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Are you sure the WiFi was disabled when testing by cable? I've seen instances where Windows continues to use the WiFi even though a cable is connected. Disable WiFi on the router then try the cabled connection again.

- Speedtest.net .. airwire server .. good choice. try also Blacknight (Carlow) and Northwest Broadband (Sligo) servers .. just to be sure to be sure
    - FTTH ... speed is never an issue. If you get the 100 Mbit/s upload, you're on the right profile

What is left at the end of the day is that darn F2000. And yes .. you may ring them about that.

/M

The router is well capable of gigabit on Ethernet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Also leave task manager open while testing just to be sure it's not a cpu usage issue due to a bad driver or something like that. It's probably not this because you tested on two laptop but still worth checking.

• Advertisement

The router is well capable of gigabit on Ethernet.

I know that. But it could be misconfiguration. Hard to know at this point. He's done everything else right.

/M

/M

Thanks for the info Marlow. I just checked speed again with the said providers wired directly and they are all similar with roughly 10 or 15mbs in the difference.

You reckon, the f2000 could be dodgy ? I'll give them a bell in the morning.You reckon a reset of the f2000 before I ring them or could that mess up internal settings etc.. ?

Are you sure the WiFi was disabled when testing by cable? I've seen instances where Windows continues to use the WiFi even though a cable is connected. Disable WiFi on the router then try the cabled connection again.

Yep disabled.

Yep disabled.

As you have two machines try testing with LAN Speed Test between the two machines. Leave WiFi disabled and connect both machines by cable to the router.

https://totusoft.com/lanspeed

tuxy wrote: »
    Also leave task manager open while testing just to be sure it's not a cpu usage issue due to a bad driver or something like that. It's probably not this because you tested on two laptop but still worth checking.

Just checked there, Cpu 34% down to 14% after test, Memory 53%, Network from 0 to 30% and back to 0% after the test, disk 1%.

Put Lan speed server on one machine and Lan speed test on another.

https://totusoft.com/lanspeedserver

Put Lan speed server on one machine and Lan speed test on another.

https://totusoft.com/lanspeedserver

Ok I'll try that now and post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Bad cable, electrical interference?

Ok I'll try that now and post back.

I think that LAN server might be paid software, sorry.

Try iPerf, it's free.

Go to https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

Get the latest version for Win64.

Unzip to a folder. Hold shift and right click on the folder with iperf3.exe in it. Choose "Open command window here"

In the commmand window type
    iperf3.exe -s
    press Enter

Accept any firewall pop up.

On the second machine do the same download iperf3 to a folder open the command window and type

iperf3.exe -c [IPADDRESS of other machine] -f m

Press enter.

Replace IPADDRESS of other machine with the actual ip address.

You should get something like this:

473166.PNG

• Advertisement

Yes the server was paid, I did a test with the lan speed, probably no use but this is what it brought back.

Yes the server was paid, I did a test with the lan speed, probably no use but this is what it brought back.

Try iPerf.

I have to go out now and collect the kid from training, I'll do the iPerf when I get back and post results. Thanks for the dig out all.

Is it OK to reset the eir router or best off not to touch it ?

I have to go out now and collect the kid from training, I'll do the iPerf when I get back and post results. Thanks for the dig out all.

Is it OK to reset the eir router or best off not to touch it ?

I would not reset it unless they tell you to. You may lose connection totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Johnjsm21

fritzelly wrote: »
    In that case yeah usually around 2 week turn around.

Two poles installed yesterday. Two days after engineer was out.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

You should get something like this:

473166.PNG

spent 2 hours last w/end wondering why i was only getting 800ish on my lan
    i disabled all my networks/dpi/guest control etc and still 800ish
    thought it was cable... nope

it was the darn Dell TB16 docking station i use..

worked around it with an extra lan to Thunderbolt3 mobile dock inline.
    now back up to 950ish mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

brianbruff wrote: »
    spent 2 hours last w/end wondering why i was only getting 800ish on my lan
    i disabled all my networks/dpi/guest control etc and still 800ish
    thought it was cable... nope

it was the darn Dell TB16 docking station i use..

Sounds like a 10 to 8 encoding. The wallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like a 10 to 8 encoding. The wallies.

perhaps, i have a love hate relationship with this docking station.
    love to hate it...
    sadly it's the only dock that will give me 2x 4k screens full power etc with one wire on a dell xps

Try iPerf.

Apologies for the delay posting this, today was busy and tiresome day.

This is the results of the Iperf!

• Advertisement

Apologies for the delay posting this, today was busy and tiresome day.

This is the results of the Iperf!

So at least you know your laptop and network card is capable of around 800 Mbit/s.

So you should be able to get near that on speedtests.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement