Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Apologies for the delay posting this, today was busy and tiresome day.

This is the results of the Iperf!

Well you should be getting at least those speeds on you 1Gb connection which you obviously are not. It is strikingly similar to the Strawberry Hillbilly issue which he posted about here

My guess is there may be some configuration issue where both of you are on the correct upload profile but are on the wrong downstream profile. You're going to have to contact eir and endure the pain that entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IS

IT

A

DELL

?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Johnjsm21 wrote: »
    Two poles installed yesterday. Two days after engineer was out.

That is exceptionally fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

ED E wrote: »
    IS

IT

A

DELL

?

I've tried on 3 machines and all the same results. Acer i3 with 1gbps card, dell 5567 i7 1gbps card, custom made pc 1gbps card and all the same.

I did remember you saying before about the smart byte on dell and it has been removed long ago!

I've tried on 3 machines and all the same results. Acer i3 with 1gbps card, dell 5567 i7 1gbps card, custom made pc 1gbps card and all the same.

I did remember you saying before about the smart byte on dell and it has been removed long ago!

You wouldn't happen to have another modem mothballed away a Vodafone hg659 or sky Q should lock on to those no issues if on eir f2000

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to have another modem mothballed away a Vodafone hg659 or sky Q should lock on to those no issues if on eir f2000

No unfortunately. Before this all I had/have is the adsl eir modem.

Is it possible to do a speed test direct from the socket on the wall and bypass the router, or is has to go through the router ?

Is it possible to do a speed test direct from the socket on the wall and bypass the router, or is has to go through the router ?

Yep I did it a few weeks ago with help from Martin.
    Need to set up a new connection type and set to vlan 10 then use ppoe dialer essentially you turn your computer into the modem requesting a session

If you have a realtec network card you will need to download a utility to use vlan as it doesn't seem to let you do it natively
    Network and sharing > create a new connection call it something obvious like ont direct connection type ppoe think you don't need to put in any username or password for eir

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep. Set VLAN ID (VID) to 10 and DHCP. The eir aggregator will give you a public IP and off you go.

Thanks guys. I've hit a brick wall though. I went to Network and sharing>Setup a new connection or network>Connect to the Internet>Set up a new connection>Broadband (pppoe) and after that I just left the user name and password blank. So now in my 'network connections' I have a new one called ont test. But thats as far as I've got, how do I go about Vlan. I done some googling about in the device manager but I'm not seeing it on the card properties in the device manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is it a realtek lan port? You may need to download a utility to change the vlan

This is where I can change it on my desktop but on my laptop I needed the realtek utility.

64bb631a5fa539371b1b6f5386831225.png

• Advertisement

Just to add more fuel to the fire. Did more speed tests on speedtest.net and on the eir speed test and both nearly identical at around 220/240mbs. Downloaded a torrent file and downloading between 60 and 70Mib/s How can that be possible if the speed test is maxing out at not much over 200mbs.

I give up for the night, thanks to all for the help and information, greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Installers on site now...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just to add more fuel to the fire. Did more speed tests on speedtest.net and on the eir speed test and both nearly identical at around 220/240mbs. Downloaded a torrent file and downloading between 60 and 70Mib/s How can that be possible if the speed test is maxing out at not much over 200mbs.

I give up for the night, thanks to all for the help and information, greatly appreciated.

You have probably exceeded the bandwidth of the swarm. Be careful you aren't reading MBs a Mbs. That fooled me once when I thought something was slow.

With my Xbox on a 5GHz WiFi connection, I don't see more than 30 - 70 Mbps speeds when downloading updates, and those speeds are sporadic and nowhere near constant, so even Microsoft don't serve up data at 'high' speed. 1 GBs is basically too fast for most of the internet to serve. My son said Steam seems to be the one thing that can pump data as fast as you can take it, though he's limited to 70 Mbps by the long ethernet cable he uses.

He also said he was reading an article on hacker news where a shop tested a lot of commercially available ethernet cables and the majority failed to meet their supposed CAT6 rating and most failed CAT5. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/is-your-cat6-a-dog.htm

Didn't the download the internet guy who had a 1 GBs package complain his speed had dropped to a max of 200 Mbps - after he had downloaded a 'few' TB of data? The throttle speed seems a bit of a coincidence to what you are seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Roen wrote: »
    Installers on site now...

No DP on the pole. No install. Ah well, the waiting game starts anew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Roen wrote: »
    No DP on the pole. No install. Ah well, the waiting game starts anew.

I can understand no light at DP but not DP at all? Why waste peoples time like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tuxy wrote: »
    I can understand no light at DP but not DP at all? Why waste peoples time like that?

It's not the first time, I've heard of that. Happened in Charleville, too.

The better one was around Offally, where the DPs were up, but they forgot to string the fibre along.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

cnocbui wrote: »
    jWith my Xbox on a 5GHz WiFi connection, I don't see more than 30 - 70 Mbps speeds when downloading updates, and those speeds are sporadic and nowhere near constant, so even Microsoft don't serve up data at 'high' speed. 1 GBs is basically too fast for most of the internet to serve. My son said Steam seems to be the one thing that can pump data as fast as you can take it, though he's limited to 70 Mbps by the long ethernet cable he uses.

Is that downloading to an external hard drive on that Xbox? I've noticed a few occasions where the two Xbox consoles in the house using externals don't download at a full speed until I do a full power cycle while also unplugging the external HDD. Since then, I've had a consistent 230-270 wired and 120+ on the console connected wirelessly.

I've noticed now I seem to be getting a lot more speed on downloads through the PS4 though. Hit over 600Mbps on that the other night, though more often than not it seems to settle around 440Mbps consistently throughout the download. Sometimes gets stuck around 20Mbps at times, which I don't think is related to the internal drive, but will remain locked at that speed until the download is paused and restarted.

Racket wrote: »
    I've noticed now I seem to be getting a lot more speed on downloads through the PS4 though. Hit over 600Mbps on that the other night, though more often than not it seems to settle around 440Mbps consistently throughout the download. Sometimes gets stuck around 20Mbps at times, which I don't think is related to the internal drive, but will remain locked at that speed until the download is paused and restarted.

That can also be related to the service you're downloading from. You don't know how much bandwidth they have on any given time or how they manage their bandwidth. Stopping and starting the download could land you on a different server.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Racket wrote: »
    Is that downloading to an external hard drive on that Xbox?

It could be, I'll check next time I need a big update.

I didn't get a chance to speak to anyone at Eir today, I was pretty busy and over 35 minutes on hold 3 times with no answer.

Speeds seem to have improved today, still not what I'm paying for, but higher than last night using the exact same machines and cables etc...

If I don't get any joy, I'll ask them to drop me down to the 500mbs profile. I'm still over the moon with what I have that's for sure, it's like Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No 500 profile, 150, 300 or 1gb

fritzelly wrote: »

I didn't see one advertised, but I think I saw someone on this thread with it ? I could be wrong but I was sure someone on here had their profile set to 500mbs. If it is the case and there isn't one, I'll stick with the 1000mbs.

There is or was a plan to introduce it, it hasn't been so far. Tho some people were selling the package even tho it wasn't available as it was showing up when doing a prequal (gone now or at least I haven't seen it in a while)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I didn't get a chance to speak to anyone at Eir today, I was pretty busy and over 35 minutes on hold 3 times with no answer.

Speeds seem to have improved today, still not what I'm paying for, but higher than last night using the exact same machines and cables etc...

If I don't get any joy, I'll ask them to drop me down to the 500mbs profile. I'm still over the moon with what I have that's for sure, it's like Christmas!

They are WiFi tests are they with the symbol on the left?

I have to say, the Eir router is not bad signal wise for me if I have it centrally in the house, even with 5ghz. The installer put it in the sitting room where I had an idea it would go and the signal 5ghz or 2.4ghz wouldn't reach the end of the house. So tonight I moved it centrally to the hall just as a temp job and it's grand for the whole house.

It's just a temp job. Wednesday, I'll move it back to the sitting room and run the cable through the attic and use the tp link archer c9 near the end of the house as an access point.

They are WiFi tests are they with the symbol on the left?

No they are wired, that is from the main pc with no wireless card. Cat 5e cable.

Sorry .. it seems Eir are selling a 500M package. There is no 500M profile. So I'd assume it's a throttled 1000M profile.

A customer with that product has already turned up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109351077&postcount=7

/M

Like I said, there was a 500 profile (now removed, trying hard to remember if it exists anywhere) and some sales people were putting orders thru for it (wrongly)
    No indication when that screenshot is from/the poster made the order but certainly not recent

Like I said, there was a 500 profile (now removed, trying hard to remember if it exists anywhere) and some sales people were putting orders thru for it (wrongly)
    No indication when that screenshot is from/the poster made the order but certainly not recent

Full thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109351077#post109351077

Thread is only 10 days old. Not sure, when he got it ordered. But he's got issues with it now.

/M

• Advertisement

I honestly don't remember if UG even shows the 500 profile anymore, pretty sure it doesn't so I'm guessing the profile was removed and his profile has dropped down to the next available one and he's only just realised it recently. Dunno really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement