Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Images from a typical splice at do
    http://imgur.com/a/AhykZg7

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

With eir the charge goes on the bill, dunno how other providers are doing it, it's 113.50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You really have to wonder why people don't realize that ducting needs to be basically hermetically sealed on the external end and that the internal end should be accessible and sealed so as to at least stop debris and insects entering. Is it laziness or just lack of forethought? When I installed my copper 17 years ago, I sealed the ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭supernova5

Anyone know if FTTH is available around the Strokestown area of Roscommon?

An Eir representative told me on the phone that is was, but I'm a bit wary as they are very eager to keep me as a customer and maybe its only a sales pitch

Do you have the black boxes on the poles near your house?

You can check availability here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

supernova5 wrote: »
    Anyone know if FTTH is available around the Strokestown area of Roscommon?

Strokestown is VDSL, which is what some providers call eFibre.

The nearest FTTH rollout to Strokestown is in Rooskey.

If you have an eircode, you can check it on our product check at https://airwire.ie/avail

Martin, when I was looking for the checker on your site a few minutes ago I encountered a very long delay before getting the following fail:
    SELECT id,email, status FROM admin_account WHERE secret='' AND active='y' AND email=''
    DB Error: unknown error

cnocbui wrote: »
    You really have to wonder why people don't realize that ducting needs to be basically hermetically sealed on the external end and that the internal end should be accessible and sealed so as to at least stop debris and insects entering. Is it laziness or just lack of forethought? When I installed my copper 17 years ago, I sealed the ends.

A combination of things they didn't physically put it in themselves, they didn't think anything would come after copper, they assumed all that would be taken care of by provider. I haven't come across a single duct that didn't at least have water in it. Water is ok it actually helps. Slugs and snails in sediment is nigh on impossible to push through on a bendy duct

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Martin, when I was looking for the checker on your site a few minutes ago I encountered a very long delay before getting the following fail:

We are aware of the issue. It has been sorted this morning.

Our website got bombarded this morning trying to extract data. When that didn't work, it got hammered until the database server caved in.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    A combination of things they didn't physically put it in themselves, they didn't think anything would come after copper, they assumed all that would be taken care of by provider. I haven't come across a single duct that didn't at least have water in it. Water is ok it actually helps. Slugs and snails in sediment is nigh on impossible to push through on a bendy duct

I wasn't really meaning homeowners, more the tradespeople who are involved in installation of these things originally. I doubt they have this problem in the northern European sensible countries. I shouldn't be surprised given the standard on plumbing in this country, but still...

• Advertisement

I remember putting in copper line for this Swedish person and knowing Sweden is supposed to be a forward thinking country I asked him what the infrastructure there was like he told me they had fibre as standard when we were using dial up and central heating was something everyone got steam pipes from a plant that fed every house with all the waste burnt to fuel it. Coming here was like looking at everything take a couple of steps backwards

I once had the good fortune to get hold of a German plumber to do a boiler replacement I thought was a bit much for me. When he found out I had actually insulated the hot water pipe that runs through the attic for the master en-suite shower install I did, he said I should come work for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I wasn't really meaning homeowners, more the tradespeople who are involved in installation of these things originally. I doubt they have this problem in the northern European sensible countries. I shouldn't be surprised given the standard on plumbing in this country, but still...

Sorry .. but the "tradespeople" still don't know to wire cat5e/cat6 into every room and bring it back to a central point. Today !
    he told me they had fibre as standard when we were using dial up and central heating was something everyone got steam pipes from a plant that fed every house with all the waste burnt to fuel it. Coming here was like looking at everything take a couple of steps backwards

Yes .. Urban central heating comes down pipes in the form of hot steam. It is often a side-product from producing electricity. And planning has made it mandatory for homes within the footprint of that sort of heating to bring it in, once the existing fossil fuel heating system (oil or gas) is not repairable anymore.

So if your oil burner caved in, you would not be allowed to replace it. You would have to get the urban central heating brought in or change to a non fossil-fuel alternative.

Ducts for cabling can be a bit of a mess, but there is generally a bit more foresight.

Pretty much the case everywhere in Scandinavia.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Hi lads, just wanted to post an update on my situation. Long story short, I'm hitting full whack 960/940mbs via wired. Seems to me, my issues was router related. I went into the router last night and I was messing around with settings as in I disabled the firewall etc... trying to see if do any good, it didn't. Then I went into the 'Internet' option, and within there, there is an option called 'Bandwidth Control.' I disabled that totally and rebooted the modem and straight away speeds hammered up.

On the blacknight server maxing out at 960/940mbs and on the airwire around 850mbs.

It was wrecking the head so really glad it's sorted now.

Via wireless on the 5ghz I'm still hitting around 220mbs max and on the 2.4ghz around 40mbs. Is this about right as I'm not sure what I should be getting via wireless test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's good for wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi lads, just wanted to post an update on my situation. Long story short, I'm hitting full whack 960/940mbs via wired. Seems to me, my issues was router related. I went into the router last night and I was messing around with settings as in I disabled the firewall etc... trying to see if do any good, it didn't. Then I went into the 'Internet' option, and within there, there is an option called 'Bandwidth Control.' I disabled that totally and rebooted the modem and straight away speeds hammered up.

On the blacknight server maxing out at 960/940mbs and on the airwire around 850mbs.

It was wrecking the head so really glad it's sorted now.

Via wireless on the 5ghz I'm still hitting around 220mbs max and on the 2.4ghz around 40mbs. Is this about right as I'm not sure what I should be getting via wireless test.

I have the bandwidth control enabled on mine (it seems on by default) and it has no detrimental effect on a 300Mb connection. Glad you got sorted though.

Around 220Mb seems to be a router limit on 5GHz. It's pretty old at this stage.

Seems about right for the Huawei router.

Vodafones Gigabox hits about 300-400 Mbit/s on 5 GHz.

Fritz!Box I've seen 560+ Mbit/s on 5 GHz.

/M

Images from a typical splice at do
    http://imgur.com/a/AhykZg7

Are there 12 drops available in that DP? Was it in an urban area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

fritzelly wrote: »
    They are not supposed to touch the copper line (but it has happened) but you can get approval to remove it.
    One reason being, they cut it and try and use it to pull the fibre thru and the fibre gets stuck and failed install - you now have no connection at all.

Haven't had a landline for over 15 year anyways, so nothing to lose there

Are there 12 drops available in that DP? Was it in an urban area?

Urban 10 positions dunno if all 10 are lit though could just be 8 lit. That wouldn't be the standard dp most do not have the premade patches coming from the topside but rather ribbon racking with individual strands in think this was a way they could rapidly put DPS in maybe there's a room or bigger dp containing the network splices and patched to the dps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 copycat_1234

fritzelly wrote: »
    You're not getting the message - you are past the rollout, you have no chance of getting added, even people where the rollout passes them have only a slim chance of getting added. Every new house that is added has to be approved by Openeir and if they are not responding to you then no ISP can do anything to circumvent it. If it was possible they would have responded to you within 24/48 hours.
    And you cannot buy your way into it.

Got it sorted FTTH :):):):)

Urban 10 positions dunno if all 10 are lit though could just be 8 lit. That wouldn't be the standard dp most do not have the premade patches coming from the topside but rather ribbon racking with individual strands in think this was a way they could rapidly put DPS in maybe there's a room or bigger dp containing the network splices and patched to the dps

I think in urban areas they just use one 1:32 splitter instead of the 1:8 and 1:4 used in rural. I guess those patch leads are coming from the 1:32 splitter. I wonder do they blow the patch cables through individually or in a bundle? Good pictures! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Got it sorted FTTH :):):):)

Any more info that may be of use to other people?

I think in urban areas they just use one 1:32 splitter instead of the 1:8 and 1:4 used in rural. I guess those patch leads are coming from the 1:32 splitter. I wonder do they blow the patch cables through individually or in a bundle? Good pictures! Thanks.

I wouldn't be too sure that would be done by civilis or diffusion. I'd say it had to be blown as it's far to bendy to shove up. Be like tryna thread a wet noodle through a keyhole

Today I finalized my network route. Right now I have a temp route set up to cover the house while I was checking the signal and speeds of the last few days etc... I'm going to do the job on Wednesday and bring a cable through the attic and add an access point.

But what I did notice today while doing the testing is how crappy the F2000 is in regards to 5ghz speeds.

I was getting 220mbs tops via 5ghz wifi on the F2000. Today I configured the access point so I'm ready to go on Wednesday. The access point/router is a tp link archer c9 and when connected to the F2000 via cat5e I'm getting around 380mbs over the 5ghz. So all in all most of the house will now have 380mbs or there abouts on wifi and the remainder will have 220mbs. I'm just surprised Eir would hand out a device with such low 5ghz speeds. All in all I'm delighted. Since the 'Bandwidth Control' is disabled too, I'm hitting max speed via cable, about 960mbs.

Thanks to everyone for their help/advice, I'll continue to keep learning from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

But what I did notice today while doing the testing is how crappy the F2000 is in regards to 5ghz speeds.

I'm getting similar results on my F2000 on 5GHz. I'm getting 190Mbps on the F2000 and 280Mbps on TP-Link Archer C1200 used as an access point. I'm on the 300Mbps package.

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    I'm getting similar results on my F2000 on 5GHz. I'm getting 190Mbps on the F2000 and 280Mbps on TP-Link Archer C1200 used as an access point. I'm on the 300Mbps package.

Yep. In time I'll probably buy another router/access point and place it beside the F2000 and turn off the wireless off on the F2000 just to give the house a blanket 360mbs wireless. Right now I only need the F2000 to cover a small'ish area, and even at that I'll be running rj45 from it to a few devices. I still can't believe I have the FTTH in, been waiting so long for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I’m getting awful wireless speeds, even when pretty close to my Fritzbox, around 180 down.

I have two Ubiquiti hardwired access points, even in the rooms they are in, I’m. It getting over 140 down.

Uploads are around 40 up wirelessly.

This is on the 300 meg package.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AidenL wrote: »
    I’m getting awful wireless speeds, even when pretty close to my Fritzbox, around 180 down.

Why do you call that awful? 180 is good to very good.

• Advertisement

You only see 400+ if you're in the same room as the router.

So 180 a bit further away is pretty good.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement