Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

ED E wrote: »
    Why do you call that awful? 180 is good to very good.
    Marlow wrote: »
    You only see 400+ if you're in the same room as the router.

So 180 a bit further away is pretty good.

/M

Well it would be in the room next door through a stud partition. I thought it would be higher. And I assumed the APs would give approx the same speed as the Fritzbox locally.

I know it’s a first world problem in all fairness. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Yep. In time I'll probably buy another router/access point and place it beside the F2000 and turn off the wireless off on the F2000 just to give the house a blanket 360mbs wireless. Right now I only need the F2000 to cover a small'ish area, and even at that I'll be running rj45 from it to a few devices. I still can't believe I have the FTTH in, been waiting so long for it.

If your not using VoIP or IPTV you could just do away with the f2000 altogether if get a compatible router. All the legwork is being done by the ont

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

AidenL wrote: »
    Well it would be in the room next door through a stud partition. I thought it would be higher. And I assumed the APs would give approx the same speed as the Fritzbox locally.

You could download something called a kirlean device which is kinda like a giger counter for WiFi signal you can wave it around and it'll show where your loosing signal maybe you can pinpoint where in the house its weak afaik many stud walls have an aluminium foil backing (at least mine does and I believe this affects WiFi signal.
    Many new homes can't get a phone signal inside the house without leaving the phone at the windowsill due to the insulation inside.
    Kirlean device play store

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

babi-hrse wrote: »
    If your not using VoIP or IPTV you could just do away with the f2000 altogether if get a compatible router. All the legwork is being done by the ont

The main problem I have is, one router just can't get a signal down the whole house from it's installed in the sitting room. I live in a long bungalow and the tp link or the F2000 just can't make the distance. Right now I have the F2000 in the middle of the house as a temp job and it's serving very well with the 5ghz in terms of signal, and I could just leave it where it is and run a wire through the attic and down into the hall where I have it. But I had the tp link just lying around so I thought why not just use it as an access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AidenL wrote: »

Ubis have never been the best for single device tput, they're more interested in decent speed for 80-100 devices vs massive speeds on one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I can get decent speeds on 5G with my Unifi AP's if I set the channel width to VHT80

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Thanks all, I’ll try all that and take some screenshots of how I have the Ubiquitis set up and post them here, maybe I’ve missed something simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

No end to frustration with Eir customer service

After reading through that I'd be very slow to near Eir 'til there's some proof their new CS is fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Is there an up to date list of what exchanges are done and what are left to do ? It’s getting very close to the June date and still no sign of any start to the work around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Some good progress in Kerry. Some difficult ducting work done over Christmas beyond Templenoe. They've now started to run the fibre and put in the DPs on parts between there and Blackwater bridge.

Still a lot to do to get to Sneem but hopefully the crews will stay around consistently for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

KOR101 wrote: »

no sympathy for any of them plenty of other providers out there - dog on the street knows to steer clear of eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

medoc wrote: »
    Is there an up to date list of what exchanges are done and what are left to do ? It’s getting very close to the June date and still no sign of any start to the work around here.

same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Had a good look through the thread but struggling to see an exact answer.
    I currently have an RT-AC68U attached to my Vodafone HG658 and the Asus kit provides WiFi.
    I assume I can replace the f2000 that will be provided with the above bit of kit.
    Correct?

On mobile so can't really use search all that well.

Any router that supports vlan tagging will work as a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

tuxy wrote: »
    Any router that supports vlan tagging will work as a replacement.

A1 cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Hi Folks, had my install today. It was pretty much a text book install, no issues which I am absolutely delighted about.

Took about 2 hours in all to complete, I wasn't here for the install myself but did talk to one of the two techs who were working on it on the phone briefly and I have to say hats off to them they were at pains to ensure I was happy with where the ont was placed etc.

It's like coming out of the dark ages, never thought I'd see the day someone like myself living in the sticks would have higher speeds available to me than those living two and half kilometres from me in the nearest town!

Thanks to everyone on here who answered my questions over the past while it's very much appreciated and i have to say I enjoy reading the thread for others questions, answers and tribulations and will continue to do so.

Thanks again folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

do all FTTH installations in other countries use vlan tagging? - I am just wondering if it was dropped apart from the obvious (like that you would be able to use many more selection of routers without Vlan tagging) would it still work? or do all FTTH installations require Vlan tagging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You would have to understand what vlan tagging is to answer that...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

And you would need to understand why Vlan tagging may be a way to futureproof delivery for future additional services.

A good understanding of networking also helps.

Bottom line: you are delving into inconsequential theoretical questions here again, that have nothing to do with the service. Specifications that you can not and are not supposed to circumvent. So why bother ?

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    And you would need to understand why Vlan tagging may be a way to futureproof delivery for future additional services.

A good understanding of networking also helps.

Bottom line: you are delving into inconsequential theoretical questions here again, that have nothing to do with the service. Specifications that you can not and are not supposed to circumvent. So why bother ?

/M

maybe I better not then - dont want to go down that road again :) , dont like agitating people :)

Well you have already had the basics of vlans explained to you and have had at least 4 months to read up on it.
    What do you think? Should vlans tagging be used?

tuxy wrote: »
    Well you have already had the basics of vlans explained to you and have had at least 4 months to read up on it.
    What do you think? Should vlans tagging be used?

honest answer? - i simply have not had the time or patience to look at past threads to read all about it again. i just need my mind refreshing again on it (in a couple of sentences will do instead of something thats going to blow my mind with technical jargon/explanation) - i honestly dont know how my mind is wired up lately and why some things stick in there and some things just get lost on me even though I was meant to have asked/read about it ages ago.

Dont worry though if people (at the risk of repeating themselves) do not wish to inform me again about why Vlan tagging is necessary there is no worries , i will either when i have a load of time on my hands do a search back in the tread or just not worry about it and take it that 'its just the way it is' and just get on with it. i am not like going to lose any sleep over it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

To state the obvious
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+use+vlan+tagging

First few results explain it succinctly

fritzelly wrote: »
    To state the obvious
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+use+vlan+tagging

First few results explain it succinctly

i will search later - incidentally, the amount of time it took you to wrote the post to tell me to use google search, could you not have written a couple of sentences plainly why it is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

i will search later - incidentally, the amount of time it took you to wrote the post to tell me to use google search, could you not have written a couple of sentences plainly why it is needed?

Put a sock in it, you ungrateful rude person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It's needed because GPON networks use traffic prioritisation known as traffic classes so for example your VoIP is given a higher priority than regular browsing traffic. It is implemented using 802.1p bits on the customer facing part of the network. 802.1p requires VLAN tagging.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Put a sock in it, you ungrateful rude person.

Huh ? You sound like the rude one. !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement