Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It's needed because GPON networks use traffic prioritisation known as traffic classes so for example your VoIP is given a higher priority than regular browsing traffic. It is implemented using 802.1p bits on the customer facing part of the network. 802.1p requires VLAN tagging.

Ah right thank you Navi. Does that mean if you don't use VoIP in your ISP package youcan get away without having vlan tagging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Ah right thank you Navi. Does that mean if you don't use VoIP in your ISP package youcan get away without having vlan tagging?

No. All connections use it.

No. All connections use it.

ah right thanks - I most probably will never get it. but at least I know its needed.

so to go back to what I asked earlier do all countries that use Gpon for their FTTH (or Fibre to the premises as some countries call it) have to use a router with Vlan tagging? or is it just some countries including ireland (and then I promise that will be the last question on it :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

If you have an eircode, you can check it on our product check at https://airwire.ie/avail

How accurate is that? If i put in an eircode i see that it says the eircode in question can get fibre to the home. However neither Eir nor Vodafone provide the ability to check by eircode (that i can find) and if i try it on Sky it says i cant get anything there.
    The location in question is on the fibre roll out plan but not listed as live.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

Scruff wrote: »
    However neither Eir nor Vodafone provide the ability to check by eircode (that i can find)

Try entering your Eircode here: https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

Airwire's eircode checker is the most up to date from what I've seen. All providers get the same data from OpenEir but some providers don't update their checker regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's as accurate as the offical list open eir gives to every ISP. It's more up to date than other providers as airwire update their list every week. If open eir have made a mistake that mistake will transfer over though.

ah right thanks - I most probably will never get it. but at least I know its needed.

so to go back to what I asked earlier do all countries that use Gpon for their FTTH (or Fibre to the premises as some countries call it) have to use a router with Vlan tagging? or is it just some countries including ireland (and then I promise that will be the last question on it :) )

I can't speak for other countries as it is not something I have looked at but I imagine if they require traffic prioritisation in their networks they would be using it.

I can't speak for other countries as it is not something I have looked at but I imagine if they require traffic prioritisation in their networks they would be using it.

ah right - many thanks

It's hardly an issue though. If you want to use your own router you will be replacing it with something better. I imagine almost all high quality routers support vlan.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not just here, DT use VID 7 for consumer traffic.

If multicast IPTV is available you'll probably find tagged frames would be my bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

tuxy wrote: »
    It's hardly an issue though. If you want to use your own router you will be replacing it with something better. I imagine almost all high quality routers support vlan.

Unless of course you're a person that has already gone on record wanting to use an older, lower quality router for convenience .......

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

yes! - in the back of the net! ... available soon! :D

Scruff wrote: »
    How accurate is that? If i put in an eircode i see that it says the eircode in question can get fibre to the home. However neither Eir nor Vodafone provide the ability to check by eircode (that i can find) and if i try it on Sky it says i cant get anything there.
    The location in question is on the fibre roll out plan but not listed as live.

It is as accurate as it gets. The data comes directly from OpenEIR.

If the other providers don't want to sell you FTTH, you can always order from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

Hi martin

Any updates at all on the cab nsm_001 in my area. When I go on open eir website they can't give me a result and to contact them. I've done it several ttimes and no response. Your the only one who has ever given me any info at all. According to the dccae we are in a commmerical provider area but map has been saying work commenced for years and no sign.

cheers man any info at all would be fantastic

Hi martin

Any updates at all on the cab nsm_001 in my area. When I go on open eir website they can't give me a result and to contact them. I've done it several ttimes and no response. Your the only one who has ever given me any info at all. According to the dccae we are in a commmerical provider area but map has been saying work commenced for years and no sign.

cheers man any info at all would be fantastic

NSM1 has not remote cabs planned for VDSL service. Are you talking about NSM1_E01 which is the portacabin exchange? (Thats done)

""eircode":null,"county":null,"date":null,"error":null,"fullAddress":null,"townEnabled":false,"maxDSL":null,"maxHSI":"50M_20M_R","maxFTCHSI":null,"maxNGB":"20M_768K_RH","maxNRA":"40M_16M_FR","maxFTCNRA":null,"maxDSLServiceCode":null,"maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxFTCHSIServiceCode":null,"maxNGBServiceCode":"BMB24MB","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxFTCNRAServiceCode":null,"phase":"Available Now""

^ The church. All good to go. If you live within 1500m of the crossroads you should be able to order and if not you need to get an ARD key correction done by OpenEir.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

ED E wrote: »
    NSM1 has not remote cabs planned for VDSL service. Are you talking about NSM1_E01 which is the portacabin exchange? (Thats done)

""eircode":null,"county":null,"date":null,"error":null,"fullAddress":null,"townEnabled":false,"maxDSL":null,"maxHSI":"50M_20M_R","maxFTCHSI":null,"maxNGB":"20M_768K_RH","maxNRA":"40M_16M_FR","maxFTCNRA":null,"maxDSLServiceCode":null,"maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxFTCHSIServiceCode":null,"maxNGBServiceCode":"BMB24MB","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxFTCNRAServiceCode":null,"phase":"Available Now""

^ The church. All good to go. If you live within 1500m of the crossroads you should be able to order and if not you need to get an ARD key correction done by OpenEir.

You wouldn't know how to tell which exchanges have been upgraded to push further I've heard of some exchanges being 1.8km on vdsl

From memory its all/nearly all. Marlow or Martin might chime in there.

I use 1500m as cable paths may not be what you'd intuit so leaving in some leeway. And its really no benefit at 1800m as ADSL2+ is on par.

I'm in dromina in Co.cork.

As i said in earlier post build has been commenced for ages. No eircode in village brings up anything

• Registered Users Posts: 23 guyinkk

What should be the sequence of events after an installer is dispatched to a premises only to find no light at the DP?

This happened here a week ago. Finding out what happens next and when appears to be seemingly nigh on impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

ED E wrote: »
    From memory its all/nearly all. Marlow or Martin might chime in there.

I use 1500m as cable paths may not be what you'd intuit so leaving in some leeway. And its really no benefit at 1800m as ADSL2+ is on par.

After 1.3km might as well be on ADSL
    Any idea if there's any difference in speed between annex b pots g.dmt g.992 adsl2

guyinkk wrote: »
    What should be the sequence of events after an installer is dispatched to a premises only to find no light at the DP?

This happened here a week ago. Finding out what happens next and when appears to be seemingly nigh on impossible.

The open eir guy that called out will report the fault. It will then repaired(could be very fast or could be months) a few days after the repair is done you will be called and given a new date for an install.
    Your ISP should be able to give the date the repair is scheduled for.

Any updates at all on the cab nsm_001 in my area.

NSM1_001 is down for 6-12 months for planned deployment.
    NSM1_E01 is done and live.

First one is a NGA cabinet, but it will be VDSL enabled. Second is an eVDSL cabinet.

NSM1_001 is down for 6-12 months for planned deployment.
    NSM1_E01 is done and live.

First one is a NGA cabinet, but it will be VDSL enabled. Second is an eVDSL cabinet.

Not part of the rural 300k due by end of June so i take it. Balls.

Not part of the rural 300k due by end of June so i take it. Balls.

The 300k (as the name says) is FTTH only. The VDSL footprint is outside of that contract.

The 300k (as the name says) is FTTH only. The VDSL footprint is outside of that contract.

That is not correct. They even say it themselves on fibrerollout
    Approximately 90-95% of the homes marked on the map will receive fibre broadband speeds of up to 1000Mb/s. Approximately 5-10% will receive fibre broadband speeds of up to 100Mb/s. Blue means services are planned for this premise. Green means services are now available to order.

A chunk of it, yes. The timelines for the VDSL cabinets go quite a bit further though. And there are no solid rollout dates. I guess it depends if it is directly related to the NBP or not. That is the conclusion we have to draw from the data that we get in regards to the VDSL rollout.

Oh yeah. A lot of it seems to have been abandoned or at least very long fingered

That is not correct. They even say it themselves on fibrerollout

A chunk of it, yes. The timelines for the VDSL cabinets go quite a bit further though. And there are no solid rollout dates. I guess it depends if it is directly related to the NBP or not. That is the conclusion we have to draw from the data that we get in regards to the VDSL rollout.

We also still see a lot of premises passed at a good bit past 1km from the cabinet and with sub-30 Mbit/s speeds. Achill Sound for example.

I must be psychic. I managed to quote your post before you posted it!

• Advertisement

I must be psychic. I managed to quote your post before you posted it!

I've seen screwed up timelines here before. (maybe I deleted my post and revised it .... hint hint)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement