Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Just out of interest I looked up Andy's village on fibrerollout.ie. The icons are all green bar one. Have you looked at it recently Andy? I wonder are they using the VDSL launch as a reason for the green icons, are they lying about availability or has Andy been left out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Just out of interest I looked up Andy's village on fibrerollout.ie. The icons are all green bar one. Have you looked at it recently Andy? I wonder are they using the VDSL launch as a reason for the green icons, are they lying about availability or has Andy been left out?

Nah .. only VDSL around Andy. Don't get him started.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Nah .. only VDSL around Andy. Don't get him started.

/M

It's odd. They've marked all bar one green. At the distances involved I don't think the remote premises are getting 30Mb on VDSL so it seems they are lying.

It's odd. They've marked all bar one green. At the distances involved I don't think the remote premises are getting 30Mb on VDSL so it seems they are lying.

The ones around Andy are down for 7M .. very similar to the bunch in Achill Sound.

Distance to the cab where Andy is 1.5km as the crow flies. 1.3km in Achill Sound. So the cable run is longer.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The ones around Andy are down for 7M .. very similar to the bunch in Achill Sound.

Distance to the cab where Andy is 1.5km as the crow flies. 1.3km in Achill Sound. So the cable run is longer.

/M

That's a complete joke that they've been marked green then. Panic mode must be setting in as they realise they are not going to make the June deadline.

Even on the fibrerollout checker it says speeds available between 30 - 1000Mb/s for the most remote premises.

• Advertisement

That's a complete joke that they've been marked green then. Panic mode must be setting in as they realise they are not going to make the June deadline.

Even on the fibrerollout checker it says speeds available between 30 - 1000Mb/s for the most remote premises.

Premises with sub 30 Mbit/s:

- 7M approx 38k
    - 10M approx 44k
    - 12M approx 102k
    - 15M approx 54k
    - 20M approx 24k
    - 25M approx 19k

They might be able to perform better, once ordered and retested. And some of these premises may also have FTTH by now. But that is 282k qualified premises nationwide on sub 30M .. if they are connected by VDSL.

/M

Aaaaand .. there are people happy ordering VDSL at 20-25 Mbit/s .. when the neighbors only get 1-3 Mbit on ADSL1 :) And paying more.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Sorry to join the party late. Yep apparently and as far as I know VDSL only available near me and at 7mbps VDSL at that according to airside checker. Eir rep called around before Christmas and was adamant a few doors up from me had phone line put in at it was 20mbps VDSL but this is the same eir rep that knocked on my door last summer and said ftth was now live for me and I could get it installed in 6 weeks time.

So you reckon now I might not even make that June deadline now then Navi / Marlow for ftth then? It won't surprise me now at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Caught them out telling lies on that rollout map before marking a bunch of premises passed that still aren’t passed over a year ago. They denied that it was lies and it took a few emails to get them to change it. They are just a hopeless company. But for many the only option. I wonder how many premises are sub 5mbs? The real stats are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Gave Westnet the nod today to get KN out to me, hope it all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Gave Westnet the nod today to get KN out to me, hope it all goes well.

Do they still offer a free install?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

For what it's worth, I went with Airwire
    Orders opened on my exchange today, already have had a call from Airwire this morning and install scheduled for next week.

Sorry to join the party late. Yep apparently and as far as I know VDSL only available near me and at 7mbps VDSL at that according to airside checker. Eir rep called around before Christmas and was adamant a few doors up from me had phone line put in at it was 20mbps VDSL but this is the same eir rep that knocked on my door last summer and said ftth was now live for me and I could get it installed in 6 weeks time.

So you reckon now I might not even make that June deadline now then Navi / Marlow for ftth then? It won't surprise me now at this stage

I wasn't making any prediction on when you may or may not get installed. I just looked at your area because I knew it had recently become VDSL enabled and was shocked to see that open eir had marked all premises green even though the majority of them would be below the 30Mb/s target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

tuxy wrote: »
    Do they still offer a free install?

From the email:

No Installation fee charged to the customer
    Unlimited Data Allowance
    150Mbs @ €45 / month
    300Mbs @ €65 / month
    1000Mbs @ €85 / month
    All packages include VAT
    Free Dual Band Wireless Router
    14 day cooling off period

I wasn't making any prediction on when you may or may not get installed. I just looked at your area because I knew it had recently become VDSL enabled and was shocked to see that open eir had marked all premises green even though the majority of them would be below the 30Mb/s target.

yep naughty but ah sure what can you do - no amount of complaining will make it come any quicker . it (ftth) will happen when it happens I suppose in my area. still dont know what the holdup is for sure (I will go that they are waiting for some equipment to go into the cabinet , but that is just me guessing) - i think they have completed all the pole to pole cabling and DP's by now.

but what is this green though - if that is supposed to be fibre thats a lie ... unless of course they are calling the FTTC 'fibre' and classing VDSL as fibre and classing 30mb and under fibre - if its on the rural fibre rollout in green then it should be at least speeds of 150mbps and max of 1gbps shouldnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

yep naughty but ah sure what can you do - no amount of complaining will make it come any quicker . it (ftth) will happen when it happens I suppose in my area. still dont know what the holdup is for sure (I will go that they are waiting for some equipment to go into the cabinet , but that is just me guessing) - i think they have completed all the pole to pole cabling and DP's by now.

but what is this green though - if that is supposed to be fibre thats a lie ... unless of course they are calling the FTTC 'fibre' and classing VDSL as fibre and classing 30mb and under fibre - if its on the rural fibre rollout in green then it should be at least speeds of 150mbps and max of 1gbps shouldnt it?

My guess is whoever updates the map - is getting false information or being asked to fudge it - not sure which because the information in incorrect. Lets just hope they get on with the 300k I preferred when they stopped updating that stupid map at least you weren't getting hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Johnjsm21

Hi All
    Got the FTTH installed yesterday. Speed is great. On the 1gbps package. Have pc connected directly to modem but just getting between 400 and maybe 600mbps. Should I be getting closer to the 1gbps. It doesn’t say on the package “upto” so I would expect I should be getting close to what I’m paying for.
    Also a note on the install. The KN Group lads were great doing the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Speeds are always "up to", no guarantee you will get the full 1gbps 100% of the time
    As its only installed test it over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Would it be odd to have only 3 DPs in 1 km to potentially service 10 houses, some of which might need 200+ m runs of cable from the 'nearest' DP?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thats assuming they are all on the rollout but 3 DP's is plenty and not unheard of a 200m run

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Would it be odd to have only 3 DPs in 1 km to potentially service 10 houses, some of which might need 200+ m runs of cable from the 'nearest' DP?

Seems odd. Some underground perhaps?

Johnjsm21 wrote: »
    Hi All
    Got the FTTH installed yesterday. Speed is great. On the 1gbps package. Have pc connected directly to modem but just getting between 400 and maybe 600mbps. Should I be getting closer to the 1gbps. It doesn’t say on the package “upto” so I would expect I should be getting close to what I’m paying for.
    Also a note on the install. The KN Group lads were great doing the install.

have a quick look through this thread if you have time about what kind of ethernet cables, what PC card, / ethernet chip in laptop and any software on PC/Laptop and make sure you have the most up to date drivers for the desktop/laptop ethernet card/chip

Good luck

will this new 5G 150mbps FWA Imagine thing rolling out be any kind of threat to FTTH ?

it could be possible for people like me who havent got any idea when FTTH will ever be available or for the times where all the FTTH ports are all used up or if they have been left out of the FTTH rollout.

I dont know what the pricing is going to be on this 5G imagine 150mbps thing but eir/isps could loose a few customers over this maybe I reckon?

will this new 5G 150mbps FWA Imagine thing rolling out be any kind of threat to FTTH ?

it could be possible for people like me who havent got any idea when FTTH will ever be available or for the times where all the FTTH ports are all used up or if they have been left out of the FTTH rollout.

I dont know what the pricing is going to be on this 5G imagine 150mbps thing but eir/isps could loose a few customers over this maybe I reckon?

No. It's not 5G. It's "5G ready". It's also €59.99 per month. When you can get a 150Mb FTTH connection for €45 it's not much competition.

No. It's not 5G. It's "5G ready". It's also €59.99 per month. When you can get a 150Mb FTTH connection for €45 it's not much competition.

Imagine seem to be going around the areas where FTTH has been rolled out by eir telling people that eir have very bad customer service etc.

Johnjsm21 wrote: »
    Imagine seem to be going around the areas where FTTH has been rolled out by eir telling people that eir have very bad customer service etc.

eir having poor customer service is true at the minute but anyone in a FTTH enabled area opting for Imagine needs their head examined.

eir having poor customer service is true at the minute but anyone in a FTTH enabled area opting for Imagine needs their head examined.

So true. I’m sure they will have data caps

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Seems odd. Some underground perhaps?

No, I don't think so. The Fibre cable is on the poles and just goes, on and on with no DP. There would be 3 houses with the nearest DP way out of sight. I Imagine it might make sense if the cable is very cheap and the DP boxes are expensive. I'll have to go for another walk and check more carefully, but it looks like I am the only one connected out of 10 houses, with none in that 1 km past me.

cnocbui wrote: »
    No, I don't think so. The Fibre cable is on the poles and just goes, on and on with no DP. There would be 3 houses with the nearest DP way out of sight. I Imagine it might make sense if the cable is very cheap and the DP boxes are expensive. I'll have to go for another walk and check more carefully, but it looks like I am the only one connected out of 10 houses, with none in that 1 km past me.

Check the Eircodes on the Airwire or eir checkers. If yours is passing while the others are not they may have been left out.

• Advertisement

oh i dont know - caps aside , i am in a FTTH area .. I still have no Idea when i will be able to order/avail of FTTH , I am paying at present 49.99 PM for 12mbps FWA service - if Imagine came to me and said we can fit a dish next week and can get 150mbps .. could be tempting .

but yes i would have to check out that cap and also the installation charge of the FWA dish/equipment and factor it in .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement