Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

AidenL wrote: »
    I thought the DPs had to go on the poles?

That's the thing, I don't know. There's a manhole at our gate, no poles. We're not included in the 300k, but my Eircode says available soon on the Airwire Checker so I'm hopeful. Similar houses along the road so wondering how the connection would be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

jgbyr wrote: »
    That's the thing, I don't know. There's a manhole at our gate, no poles. We're not included in the 300k, but my Eircode says available soon on the Airwire Checker so I'm hopeful. Similar houses along the road so wondering how the connection would be done.

I looked back on this thread, Navi said DP would be marked on the manhole if one goes in there. Maybe you could be supplied from a nearby DP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I looked back on this thread, Navi said DP would be marked on the manhole if one goes in there. Maybe you could be supplied from a nearby DP?

There was something on the manhole but it's washed away now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The names are right, that’s great info! I never knew there was ducting underground out our way, lots of overheads already, but great to know there are loads of options on place.

Is that the norm in rural areas, overheads and ducts on the same routes? There must have been lots of prep work done years back?

They seem to have ducting around towns and villages. The overhead lines are used to feed older homes in a lot of cases.
    I thought the DPs had to go on the poles?

The distribution points can also be located in manholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

They seem to have ducting around towns and villages. The overhead lines are used to feed older homes in a lot of cases.

I've even seen cases of where the phonelines and fiber are ran underground, but brought up a pole and in on overhead line into the house. Again, mostly older homes.
    The distribution points can also be located in manholes.

Yup. They were actually designed for underground installation. Same model works both ways.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Marlow wrote: »
    30 houses makes sense though. That's one cluster. (32 ports max)

It'll only be one fiber strand for those 30 houses to share. But it'll carry 2.5 Gbit/s down and 1.25 Gbit/s up.

So unless everyone orders 1000 Mbit/s and goes full throttle, it's unlikely that you see any contention in the FTTH section of the build.

/M

30 houses sharing 2,500 Mbit/s: that's just 83 Mbit/s each, if they all use it simultaneously.

That's well short of the minimum 150 Mbit/sec - the slowest FTTH option being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Poulgorm wrote: »
    30 houses sharing 2,500 Mbit/s: that's just 83 Mbit/s each, if they all use it simultaneously.

That's well short of the minimum 150 Mbit/sec - the slowest FTTH option being offered.

Wanna differentiate your Gigabits from your Megabits

Why on earth would you ever have assumed, that it's an uncontended service ?

At that pricing ?

If you want uncontended .. order a NGN circuit ... and see what the pricing ends up with.

FTTH / GPon is a shared medium.

Eircom DSL used to be 48:1 contention. Not sure, what it is these days. FTTH is worst case around 15:1 on the last mile. Nevermind, what it is upstream.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gboyd

Gboyd wrote: »
    On this point I contacted OE last week as currently my local exchange has no broadband service at all. On the NGA Fibre map it shows my local exchange in dark green stating ‘fibre build commenced’ and says completion work in progress. My house is literally next door to this exchange so I presumed that FTTC would be coming to me shortly.

However, on the rollout map my house has the blue icon and is part of the rural 300k rollout and Open Eir have stated that I can only avail to the FTTH service when it finally arrives and no other service will be made available.

I really don’t understand why this exchange would be upgraded and then the village serviced exclusively by FTTH. It also goes against everything I read about FTTC being used for houses within a 1km of the exchange.

Any news from either of the suggestions I made to you?

No Dominique Loud Waistband, I haven’t sent out any requests to the couple of guys you mentioned, feeling utterly exhausted with the whole thing 😩

Currently looking at what awful wireless solutions are available to me now 😭

fritzelly wrote: »
    Wanna differentiate your Gigabits from your Megabits

Well, 1 Gbit = 1,000 Mbit? Yes/No?

If yes, my calculation is correct. Note that Marlow did not contradict my calculation.

• Advertisement

If yes, my calculation is correct. Note that Marlow did not contradict my calculation.

I ignored it, as i found it more concerning, that you expected uncontended service. Plus I had previously stated, that " it's unlikely that you see any contention ". I didn't say that it would be uncontended.

But just to clarify 1 Gbit/s = 1024 Mbit/s. We're dealing in bits and bytes here. Binary, not metric figures.

/M

Why on earth would you ever have assumed, that it's an uncontended service ?
    /M

I am not technically qualified in this area at all. As a layman, I was surprised to learn (from your post) that FTTH would average just 85 Mbit/sec, in an extreme situation (i.e. all 30 customers hammering it simultaneously).

Anything I know about broadband, I have picked up in this excellent thread - much of it from your contributions. Make allowances for me!

I am not technically qualified in this area at all. As a layman, I was surprised to learn (from your post) that FTTH would average just 84 Mbit/sec, in an extreme situation (i.e. all 30 customers hammering it simultaneously).

The likelyhood of all customers hammering it is non-existant to be honest.

It takes 2h30 to download 1TB on a Gbit/s connection at full speed.
    It takes 16h17 to download 1TB on a 150 Mbit/s connection at full speed.

So if everyone was hammering it, Eir customers would have a very costly day. Airwire customers would be throttled after a day of hammering, unless they've bought a top-up.
    And Digiweb customers would have been cut off by then.

The connection to the internet (for internet providers) costs approx 500+ EUR/month per Gbit/s + VAT and providers generally buy multiple, in case one goes or one upstream provider has issues. The infrastructure between that and the end user also has to be paid for.

So there's no way, that you'd buy a Gbit/s FTTH connection at 80-90 EUR/month and it would be uncontended.

Rolling out dedicated infrastructure, that is uncontended by design would also be a lot more costly than GPon. You'd need one or 2 fibers per household all the way to the exchange. With GPon you have one fiber with up to 32 subscribers connected to the exchange.

Also 32 subscribers is worst case scenario. Depends on uptake. Most clusters might not even get filled up due to the cost of FTTH connections.

/M

The only positive thing from this painful rollout experience is the very interesting information a few very knowledgeable people are constantly sharing in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Gboyd wrote: »
    The only positive thing from this painful rollout experience is the very interesting information a few very knowledgeable people are constantly sharing in this thread.

Painfully slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

turbbo wrote: »
    Painfully slow?

Depends on which side you're looking at it from. Over a year ago they cleared the trees from the poles/wires and then about 2 weeks ago they ran cable on poles for a few hundred metres (on our 3 km road that's due to get FTTH) and since then, no sign of any further work... Very frustrating to be soooo near but...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Painfully slow?

I was supposed to be up and running last Autumn. Connection boxes have been up on the poles for two months at this point. I'd call that painfully slow.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Depends on which side you're looking at it from. Over a year ago they cleared the trees from the poles/wires and then about 2 weeks ago they ran cable on poles for a few hundred metres (on our 3 km road that's due to get FTTH) and since then, no sign of any further work... Very frustrating to be soooo near but...

That's not too bad.

There's fiber run in places nearly 2 years ago .. and still no light at the end :)

At least they're fairly efficient in the areas they're rolling out at the moment.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

That's not too bad.

There's fiber run in places nearly 2 years ago .. and still no light at the end :)

At least they're fairly efficient in the areas they're rolling out at the moment.

/M

Let hope so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Yeah that was the impression I got - seems to be crawling along at a snails pace. It's been a few years since all this talk of ftth for rural areas.
    I think the wireless networks have managed to fill the gaps somewhat in the meantime - maybe even killing the appetite for FTTH for a lot of what would have been potential customers.

• Advertisement

Yeah that was the impression I got - seems to be crawling along at a snails pace. It's been a few years since all this talk of ftth for rural areas.
    I think the wireless networks have managed to fill the gaps somewhat in the meantime - maybe even killing the appetite for FTTH for a lot of what would have been potential customers.

That's still the case. There's plenty 30/50/70/100 Mbit/s wireless service being rolled out. And for a lot of family homes 30-50 Mbit/s fixed wireless at 40 EUR is much more affordable than FTTH at 50 EUR.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I apologise - don't know what I was thinking

Speaking of wireless services, appears to be my only option for now in my new place.

I’ve heard nothing but terrible things about them from friends and the reviews online are dreadful.

Does anyone here that’s waiting for FTTH currently use such a service in the Portlaoise surrounding area?

Also, is taking my Sky Q with me and expecting a decent on demand service or Netflix HD streaming and online gaming completely out of reach of wireless broadband? I see so many complaints about the congestion and speeds unless using it between 2-6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Just got my order eir confirmation. It’s saying one off charges €99.00. :/ installation is supposed to be free right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just got my order eir confirmation. It’s saying one off charges €99.00. :/ installation is supposed to be free right?

Welcome to EIR, get used to billing problems.

I've signed up since last year and have yet to get a correct bill, every month its a fight to get them to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Grimsvotn

I am currently awaiting FTTH installation but have been advised that work needs to be carried out on a blocked duct on the public road.

Have currently been waiting 7 weeks for this and am just being told no updates are available and to wait for further contact.

Has anyone had similar experience, or know of any way to find a real update or estimated turnaround time?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Grimsvotn wrote: »
    Has anyone had similar experience, or know of any way to find a real update or estimated turnaround time?

Yes, and no, respectively. It could be a few weeks; it could be a year. There doesn't seem to be any way of knowing which it is.

Grimsvotn wrote: »
    work needs to be carried out on a blocked duct on the public road.

That right there requires a license from the council. So your biggest delay is them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Someone was saying they are charging €99 installation from today

• Advertisement

So, I tried to find the broadband only pricing for FTTH on Eirs website .. just for sh!t and giggles ... you can't !!!!

Only the bundles.

Went on a chat and got the following info.

So the 150 Mbit/s package with Eir for standalone FTTH is 58 EUR/month.

Installation is 250 EUR, but a discount can be got on the 150 Mbit/s package, so that it's 99.99 EUR instead.

Mjaeh ....

Then bundles have a cheaper introduction pricing, but they really must be counting on people paying the 81 EUR/month later on.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement