Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

oh i dont know - caps aside , i am in a FTTH area .. I still have no Idea when i will be able to order/avail of FTTH , I am paying at present 49.99 PM for 12mbps FWA service - if Imagine came to me and said we can fit a dish next week and can get 150mbps .. could be tempting .

but yes i would have to check out that cap and also the installation charge of the FWA dish/equipment and factor it in .

I'd urge you to read the Imagine thread before signing up to a 24 month contract. Frying pan and fire come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Check the Eircodes on the Airwire or eir checkers. If yours is passing while the others are not they may have been left out.

There's 1 km of physical cable running past them and two DP's on it. The same cable I am connected to. They are all green on the rollout map. I wouldn't know what their Eircodes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Could be DP's were missed out, but like I said earlier they can run 200m easily enough if required.

cnocbui wrote: »
    There's 1 km of physical cable running past them and two DP's on it. The same cable I am connected to. They are all green on the rollout map. I wouldn't know what their Eircodes are.

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

Go to the map and you can find any Eircode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

oh i dont know - caps aside , i am in a FTTH area .. I still have no Idea when i will be able to order/avail of FTTH , I am paying at present 49.99 PM for 12mbps FWA service - if Imagine came to me and said we can fit a dish next week and can get 150mbps .. could be tempting .

but yes i would have to check out that cap and also the installation charge of the FWA dish/equipment and factor it in .

I don't know much about imagines service but if they have it labelled as 5g ready up to 150mbs isn't it just 4g?

I can get 120 Mbit from vodafone on my mobile phone over 4g, there is nothing special that hasn't been available for ages. It's just imagine's new advertising campaign.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of the TV's from a few years back - HD ready but will never be HD by the true definition. Maybe they should have taken a leaf out of AT&T in the US and just start calling it 5GE - its not 5G but...

fritzelly wrote: »
    Could be DP's were missed out, but like I said earlier they can run 200m easily enough if required.

As expected, fibre is available. I guess they are prepared to just string long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't know much about imagines service but if they have it labelled as 5g ready up to 150mbs isn't it just 4g?

I can get 120 Mbit from vodafone on my mobile phone over 4g, there is nothing special that hasn't been available for ages. It's just imagine's new advertising campaign.

can you though - I have just put in google 'fastest speed for 4G" and it said 'theoretical' speeds of 150mbps - typical speeds of 20mbps.

No doubt they will play the 'up to 150mbps' card and cover themselves .. so it could even be 0.000001mbps download and they will be within the law :)

When the installer came round to install our present FWA , he went on his mobile phone (a vodafone one) and was getting 4g speed .... done a speed test, 20mbps down - that was a year ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

can you though - I have just put in google 'fastest speed for 4G" and it said 'theoretical' speeds of 150mbps - typical speeds of 20mbps.

No doubt they will play the 'up to 150mbps' card and cover themselves .. so it could even be 0.000001mbps download and they will be within the law :)

When the installer came round to install our present FWA , he went on his mobile phone (a vodafone one) and was getting 4g speed .... done a speed test, 20mbps down - that was a year ago .
    Cat6 4G has download speeds up to 300Mb/s. You googled wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Cat6 4G has download speeds up to 300Mb/s. You googled wrong.

Few tidbits here.

@Tuxy The core of the issue here is the once scarce resource. Spectrum. Imagine are still working with the same spectrum no matter what tech they deploy within it. 4G vs 5G is like going from a High Quality Dual Carriageway (N1 from Dundalk) to a Motorway. Same space, squeezing a little more out of it.

The theory of 5G says max 53% more bits per Hz allocated. In practice early 5G would be doing great to get 15% more packed in. That makes your 150Mb sector 172Mb.
    Based on this analysis, the demand for mobile data in Ireland is to forecast to grow
    at an average4 of 32% per year up to 2022
    Thats COMREGs number for mobile (I'll use that as bandwidth constrained users on Imagine will end up streaming at lower bitrates). So basically even with all new radios tomorrow Imagine will still be moving backwards within 6 months with gear that will need to last 5yrs+.

To the rest of the above CAT4 4G is the original 4G we had here, CAT6-8 is what we got with 4G+. Thats 225Mb here mostly but can be 300Mb. Your shiny new S9/S10 is CAT18! 1200Mb!

The catch? It isnt magically faster. Its adding cells and frequencies together. So a network that had 4 x 150Mb with each user accessing up to 150 now has the same bandwidth but one user can access all of it. In practice they never will as demand is up and supply is static.

We're reaching the end of the road for cramming data into little 10Mhz chunks. Only way things really get faster is to build lots of small cells or turn off the likes of Sky TV and Saorview to make space (a la analogue switchoff).

• Advertisement

@ed I'm confused what you mean by turn off sky and saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

@ed I'm confused what you mean by turn off sky and saorview

Take spectrum away from broadcasting and reuse it for high speed data networks.

Terrestrial broadcasting spectrum is locked in until at least until the end of 2030. Next review of this spectrum at ITU level is WRC2023.

Already tried and pointless using that, miniscule speeds using it

As Cush says, and I'm skeptical that media corps will let go of it easily even in 2030.

You'll see 5G listed as 5GNR for new radio which might as well be UR for useless radio as we've got to the point of using very high frequencies which cannot penetrate anything other than air making them 100% line of sight bound. Might be ok for FWALA but will never be much good in handsets.

Maybe I'm missing something but those frequencies are reserved forever and ever and even if they were released testing has already been done and they cannot support anything beyond pretty much dial up

Already tried and pointless using that, miniscule speeds using it

Digital Dividend 2, the 700MHz band, here in Ireland will be cleared of broadcasting by March 4th 2020 and will be available for 5g after this date. Comreg auction likely later this year or early next with each of the 3 MNOs looking to get their hands on a slice of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

can you though
    Actually it's a bit slower than normal tonight but this is what I am getting
    6d9a603590ef841574168046bb412d6a.png
    ED E wrote: »

@Tuxy The core of the issue here is the once scarce resource. Spectrum. Imagine are still working with the same spectrum no matter what tech they deploy within it. 4G vs 5G is like going from a High Quality Dual Carriageway (N1 from Dundalk) to a Motorway. Same space, squeezing a little more out of it.

Yup, I get that. I can only get such fast speed consistently on Vodafone because they have very small download limits on their packages. I imagine(:pac:) anywhere that take-up is high for a 4g/5g product the service to each user will seriously suffer.

Maybe I'm missing something but those frequencies are reserved forever and ever and even if they were released testing has already been done and they cannot support anything beyond pretty much dial up

I think you're thinking of satellite internet. Waste of time. But if we turn off the sat on n frequency we can then turn the same on on a cell site and boom more to play with.

The useful for mobile spectrum is (Long range)400Mhz to 2400Mhz(High Speed) or thereabouts. Check out the image below for whats around there.
    https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/default/files/illustration/UK-Frequency-Allocations.png

Things like DME for airports take up a big chunk and really are very wasteful. We might eventually see them being made obsolete. Amateur radio also has 100Mhz in there around 2400Mhz that would be prime for the likes of WISPs(Imagine) to use if we decided as a continent that data networks are more important.

ED E wrote: »
    The useful for mobile spectrum is (Long range)400Mhz to 2400Mhz(High Speed) or thereabouts.

The MNOs will also be looking for a chunk of the 2600 band at the next big auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Actually it's a bit slower than normal tonight but this is what I am getting
    6d9a603590ef841574168046bb412d6a.png

Yup, I get that. I can only get such fast speed consistently on Vodafone because they have very small download limits on their packages. I imagine(:pac:) anywhere that take-up is high for a 4g/5g product the service to each user will seriously suffer.

I did a test walking into the cinema last firday night in limerick
    speed.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Hi Folks,

Had eir out and they said I have a blocked duct at the edge of my property. Any idea how this is best dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Fibre became available at our house this month, ordered from Eir, KN worker has just done the survey & advised it will have to be via overhead cable to the house as the poles are on the opposite side of the road. The old copper lines to the house are underground and I was really hoping they could utilise those ducts rather than go overhead.

KN guy thinks we could now be waiting a long time as planning permission may be needed to bring cable underground across the road. He will send a report but didn't see any options to bring cable overhead across the road & then tap in to existing ducts. One potential help is that in the area, 10 houses are on our side of the road and only 1 on the other, per attached pic.

Any advise from experience, could this issue involve a huge delay, or is it something that might get resolved promptly? Will it depend how many of the other 9 houses sign up?!

Thanks

rabwaygal wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Had eir out and they said I have a blocked duct at the edge of my property. Any idea how this is best dealt with?

Some posters have dug down themselves and repaired the duct if you know where the blockage is. If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself a builder may be able to quote you for the work. Apparently KN Group also offer this service. One of the other posters may have a number for them.

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Fibre became available at our house this month, ordered from Eir, KN worker has just done the survey & advised it will have to be via overhead cable to the house as the poles are on the opposite side of the road. The old copper lines to the house are underground and I was really hoping they could utilise those ducts rather than go overhead.

KN guy thinks we could now be waiting a long time as planning permission may be needed to bring cable underground across the road. He will send a report but didn't see any options to bring cable overhead across the road & then tap in to existing ducts. One potential help is that in the area, 10 houses are on our side of the road and only 1 on the other, per attached pic.

Any advise from experience, could this issue involve a huge delay, or is it something that might get resolved promptly? Will it depend how many of the other 9 houses sign up?!

Thanks

If a road opening license is required it can take varying amounts of time depending on the local council.

Thanks

Did he say why the existing phone line duct couldn't be used?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Did he say why the existing phone line duct couldn't be used?

He didn't explain, other than the fact that the pole with the fibre black box/reel (sorry, don't know the official name for it - picture below) is on the other side of the road from the DP from which my old copper line is connected to. I would have thought any existing old Eircom cabling runs to the same poles that the fibre is on. Would that not be the case?!

Thanks

453515.jpg

He didn't explain, other than the fact that the pole with the fibre black box/reel (sorry, don't know the official name for it - picture below) is on the other side of the road from the DP from which my old copper line is connected to. I would have thought any existing old Eircom cabling runs to the same poles that the fibre is on. Would that not be the case?!

Thanks

The fibre distribution cable usually follows the route of the copper distribution cable. It's difficult to understand what is going on from one aerial picture. If you want to PM me the Eircode of one of the 11 houses I can take a look and see if I can spot what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Burger7A

Hi all, I have a quick question about doing overhead install.

Do I have to run ducting through the attic or will they just run the fibre cable from the pole through the attic?

If I do have to run ducting through the attic does the ducting have to run as far as the pole or does it just have to run as far at the hole in the wall?

I'm fairly sure this was answered in a previous post, I have gone back a good few pages but can't find it!

Thanks in advance

Burger7A wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a quick question about doing overhead install.

Do I have to run ducting through the attic or will they just run the fibre cable from the pole through the attic?

If I do have to run ducting through the attic does the ducting have to run as far as the pole or does it just have to run as far at the hole in the wall?

I'm fairly sure this was answered in a previous post, I have gone back a good few pages but can't find it!

Thanks in advance

The installer is not meant to go into an attic. He may be happy for you to go into the attic and pull the cable to where it is required.

The ducting, if you want to install it, would have to go from the hole in the external wall in your home to wherever the cable is needed.

• Advertisement

The fibre distribution cable usually follows the route of the copper distribution cable. It's difficult to understand what is going on from one aerial picture. If you want to PM me the Eircode of one of the 11 houses I can take a look and see if I can spot what is going on.

That would be super, thanks Navi, really appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement