Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Doesn't matter - you pay the same price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

cnocbui wrote: »
    Let's try this again. If you opt to keep an existing copper phone line when you get fibre, will you end up paying line rental for each line, or just one?

Or to put it another way, is copper + glass more expensive, or the same, as having glass + VOIP phone?

You pay line rental for just one so copper + glass is the same price as VoIP + glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

fritzelly wrote: »
    OE want everyone on VOIP - they already have a request in to abolish the requirement of a copper line, eir will put you on VOIP for all new orders, any upgrade will also get moved to VOIP much to the chagrin of people with wired/personal alarms

Nope I'm still getting orders for copper being told its included in the bundle. It's not easy to build a fault free copper line in the backarse of nowhere when the copper network is abandoned and rendered almost obselete due to ftth being on the poles but yet the provider bundles it.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Nope I'm still getting orders for copper being told its included in the bundle. It's not easy to build a fault free copper line in the backarse of nowhere when the copper network is abandoned and rendered almost obselete due to ftth being on the poles but yet the provider bundles it.

Are you saying you're installing new copper lines with FTTH orders to premises where none previously existed or are these jobs ones where there was a pre-existing copper line?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

babi-hrse wrote: »

Unless the line is already present then it generally gets refused and referred back as FTTH only unless they cannot get FTTH - it's not a foolproof system and if there is a copper backbone in place then generally it will still go ahead

edit
    Preempt Navi's question

double edit
    Some stupid sales people saying you need copper lines in place to get FTTH - seriously!

• Advertisement

Are you saying you're installing new copper lines with FTTH orders to premises where none previously existed or are these jobs ones where there was a pre-existing copper line?

Yep it's a pain but this is they way some providers carry on. Even the customer does not want the copper and gets understandably irate when I tell them I have a order for a phone line so they can have a conversation. All they wanted was the ftth.

Very strange indeed. I'm surprised open eir allow such orders through.

Very strange indeed. I'm surprised open eir allow such orders through.

I always ask the customer how the conversation went down with the provider and they tell me the explicitly stated they wanted ftth and not copper which you cannot fault. Some sales people just seem to think either their doing favours or its essential to the service. same can ignore these little rules they make when it comes to a ftth only area mind you there was one place that seemed like a Ill thought out planning process from the developer right all the way through and had ftth only in the ground for a year and a half.
    All I ever saw orders coming out for was for copper lines. The people who lived in this area were working in networks like Nokia Siemens and the like and even they couldn't get past the ordering stage.
    From first visit to a year and a half it took before the first ftth line in that place went in when somebody said I just talked to the right guy.
    one explained he bought a house there worked in a multinational networking firm and couldn't actually live at home because he had to be always available to have a conference call at anytime.
    After that the ftth lines were going in left right and center

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

I was not asked if I wanted to change from my copper line for tel.
    KN installer said VOIP was not on his install list so copper remained as it was.
    Better this was I think.
    I have my own VOIP going out on the fibre and landline calls coming in on the copper.

I'm interested in how you operate your own VOIP over the fibre. Which products and services do you need to do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

pg17 wrote: »
    I'm interested in how you operate your own VOIP over the fibre. Which products and services do you need to do this ?
    You just need to sign up with a voip provider (I use irishvoip.com) and you need either a VOIP phone/handset (I use a cheap Grandstream office phone) or a soft-phone which runs on your mobile device or PC.

You can get an existing landline number ported to the VOIP service if you want (I haven't done that yet though), but be careful about certain limitations eg many house alarms won't work over voip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

pg17 wrote: »

There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of providers of VOIP services out there.
    They have different products/plans/functions/etc to choose from , so before settling on any one provider it is advisable to do a bit of research, and maybe try out a few free services which allow you to communicate with others on a VOIP service.

In lots of ways this is like using Skype or Viber etc..
    Providers like those have closed systems that do not permit VOIP users on another provider to contact them. They essentially operate within a 'walled garden' where only the members of that provider's service get to communicate.

Outside of those 'walled gardens' VOIP users can communicate with each other, using VOIP/SIP without cost, as there are no mobile or landline phones involved.

There are a few different hardware approaches you can take.
    1. Use a router which has built in facilities for VOIP. Those would have 'telephone handset sockets (RJ11)' to which you attach an ordinary phone as used for landlines.

2. Use an app on a mobile phone, laptop or desktop and use its internet connection to make the contact.

3. Get an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) to plug into your router, set it up with your provider's details, and attach a phone. These would be used mostly where the existing router does not have VOIP facilities.

4. Get a 'VOIP phone', which is specifically built for the purpose. Personally I have never used one because the router with DECT phone attached is as good as I need. Else I use software app in whatever device I wish.

With good hardware it is possible to set up several providers for making calls out.
    You can then set up a dial plan to use a specific provider for certain types of calls ..... based on cost to destination locale; cost to landline or mobile and so on.

Having the whole lot manageable by you means you have complete control over all aspects of the process.

To dip your toes in the water I would suggest yourself and a friend set up free VOIP accounts with a provider (one I like is Linphone) and make calls to each other ... both audio and video. Doing so will require installing an application on your chosen device.
    If you want to take it further then you can look at using specific VOIP hardware.

You should probably check out the VOIP section of Boards for further info and discussion:-
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Got the 28th of February for a visit of an engineer to do a survey. Am I right in thinking if its a nice and easy install it gets done there and then.

Got the 28th of February for a visit of an engineer to do a survey. Am I right in thinking if its a nice and easy install it gets done there and then.

Yes. It should go ahead if there are no issues.

Does the engineer bring the modems also. Should be a v easy install all going well. Pole with the dp is just inside my fence then ug in a duct that took a copper line 4years ago no problem. But will check later to be sure. Would they pull the copper or should I have a pull rope in the duct ready.
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Depends on which ISP some of them pay extra to have the KN guy install the router.
    If not it just comes in the post and is only a matter of connecting an ethernet cable.

Does the engineer bring the modems also. Should be a v easy install all going well. Pole with the dp is just inside my fence then ug in a duct that took a copper line 4years ago no problem. But will check later to be sure. Would they pull the copper or should I have a pull rope in the duct ready.
    Thank you.

For eir installations the KN installer brings the router. Other ISPs may be different.

He won't or at least is not meant to touch the copper line. Having a rope in it is best but if you think it is clear the installer should be able to get his rod (oh missus!) into the duct and pull the fibre through.

Cool thanks. Its vodafone.

Cool thanks. Its vodafone.

I'm not sure if Vodafone post the router or if the installer brings it. Someone else might be able to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

The installers carry the Vodafone Gigabox's in stock, and install on the day
    I'm not sure if Vodafone post the router or if the installer brings it. Someone else might be able to confirm.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Just a slightly off topic question about ethernet speeds: Now that the Fritzbox has arrived I have 3 routers and 2 switches. 2 of the routers only have fast ethernet rather than gigabit, if I have them hooked up does it bring everything else down to 100Mb/s, or do the switches that feed them slow that port only?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Just a slightly off topic question about ethernet speeds: Now that the Fritzbox has arrived I have 3 routers and 2 switches. 2 of the routers only have fast ethernet rather than gigabit, if I have them hooked up does it bring everything else down to 100Mb/s, or do the switches that feed them slow that port only?

It's only the port that router is connected to and that router that slows down. The other ports of the Fritz!box .. which have devices with Gbit/s capability .. will still be at Gbit/s.

It would only be an issue if your first router one of those with only 100 Mbit/s ports.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Also if using the other routers as access points disable DHCP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

tuxy wrote: »
    Also if using the other routers as access points disable DHCP

Already done with my current setup, just a matter of swapping which router acts as the DHCP server if I get installed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Looks like there is finally some movement in our area - Shannonbridge - over the last few weeks, trees cut and poles marked etc.

In anticipation of install I hired a cobra reel to pull a rope though the ducting that is in place. Pole is approx 60m from the telephone entry cabinet on the house and unfortunately it hits an obstruction about 20m from the pole.

As a result I looks like a bit of digging will be required and I have a couple of questions in relations to this;-

1/ Is there a tool that can be hired that will locate the existing copper telephone line, not sure if a standard cable finder will pick up a telephone line?

2/ Would the normal course of action, when house was being built, be to lay the ducting straight from the pole to the corner of the house. If it is straight the chances are that it runs under a section of the garden where it hits obstruction otherwise it is under tarmac.

3/ Where the ducting comes into the junction box in the cavity would this normally come in from the back of the house (position 1 on sketch) or would they bring it in the side (position 2) or just depend on the builder on the day. House is built on a raft foundation in case this has any bearing.

Trying to narrow down the amount of digging that I will need to do.

Thanks

Ducting.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

THE ALM wrote: »
    Looks like there is finally some movement in our area - Shannonbridge - over the last few weeks, trees cut and poles marked etc.

In anticipation of install I hired a cobra reel to pull a rope though the ducting that is in place. Pole is approx 60m from the telephone entry cabinet on the house and unfortunately it hits an obstruction about 20m from the pole.

As a result I looks like a bit of digging will be required and I have a couple of questions in relations to this;-

1/ Is there a tool that can be hired that will locate the existing copper telephone line, not sure if a standard cable finder will pick up a telephone line?

2/ Would the normal course of action, when house was being built, be to lay the ducting straight from the pole to the corner of the house. If it is straight the chances are that it runs under a section of the garden where it hits obstruction otherwise it is under tarmac.

3/ Where the ducting comes into the junction box in the cavity would this normally come in from the back of the house (position 1 on sketch) or would they bring it in the side (position 2) or just depend on the builder on the day. House is built on a raft foundation in case this has any bearing.

Trying to narrow down the amount of digging that I will need to do.

Thanks

Ducting.jpeg

Had a similar situation to yourself (wasnt blocked in the end though - just a messed up hockey stick/bend).

I got a guy out to help me with it. He had a cat and genny and was able to trace the run of the existing phone line from etu down to the box. Ours didnt run straight. It ran down the lane then along the road to the box.

Your positive there's no access point 20m away somewhere could be a similar set up to chris's
    As for ducting there's never a standardised set up it could be anyway all depending on what the builder was feeling. I had one that started at the left of driveway went 50m to house and then for some reason spiralled around to the right of house. The builder probably was going to put it on the left then changed his mind and went around.
    So if anyone could tell you they'd be purely guessing. Cat and Genny seems to be the consensus of what all civil work seems to say what that is I have no idea myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

chris_ie wrote: »
    Had a similar situation to yourself (wasnt blocked in the end though - just a messed up hockey stick/bend).

I got a guy out to help me with it. He had a cat and genny and was able to trace the run of the existing phone line from etu down to the box. Ours didnt run straight. It ran down the lane then along the road to the box.

Thanks, will see if I can get one locally to hire. If I see any engineers in the area they might have one and might oblige for a few euro

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Had my installation today. Am signed up with Eir for the 300 mb package but am only getting 60 on wifi / 80 on LAN. Anyone have any advice on this? Is it a temporary slow speed or do I need to do anything to reach faster speeds. Was expected maybe 180 on wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

rabwaygal wrote: »
    Had my installation today. Am signed up with Eir for the 300 mb package but am only getting 60 on wifi / 80 on LAN. Anyone have any advice on this? Is it a temporary slow speed or do I need to do anything to reach faster speeds. Was expected maybe 180 on wifi.

2.4ghz WiFi could be as low as that. Check if your physical network adapter/port supports gigabit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement