Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

rabwaygal wrote: »
    Had my installation today. Am signed up with Eir for the 300 mb package but am only getting 60 on wifi / 80 on LAN. Anyone have any advice on this? Is it a temporary slow speed or do I need to do anything to reach faster speeds. Was expected maybe 180 on wifi.

Make sure you are connected to the 5 Ghz access point of the router, not the 2.4 Ghz one and make sure you are within a couple of metres of it. The name likely ends in _5G. Check whether you have a CAT6 ethernet cable and whether your computer has 1000 Mbps capable ethernet card, most only have ethernet capable of 100 Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

They have starting running fibre down my road looks as if they are abandoning the old pole network and using some sort of underground channeling system they dig a hole every 20 metres or so along the road - anybody see this type of install before? - I’m guessing the pole thing was a disaster with tree branches pulling down the old copper wires every winter. Also wondering what the connection will be like to my house - will they connect to where the old telephone pole was in my garden? Or will I have to dig a channel for them from that pole to the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

cnocbui wrote: »
    Make sure you are connected to the 5 Ghz access point of the router, not the 2.4 Ghz one and make sure you are within a couple of metres of it. The name likely ends in _5G. Check whether you have a CAT6 ethernet cable and whether your computer has 1000 Mbps capable ethernet card, most only have ethernet capable of 100 Mbps

Think I'm after realising the issue. The house has Cat 5 cable running through it. Thats what the OpenEir tech linked the modem to. The ONT is in a separate room. Think CAT 5 has a Max speed of 100 mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

turbbo wrote: »
    They have starting running fibre down my road looks as if they are abandoning the old pole network and using some sort of underground channeling system they dig a hole every 20 metres or so along the road - anybody see this type of install before? - I’m guessing the pole thing was a disaster with tree branches pulling down the old copper wires every winter. Also wondering what the connection will be like to my house - will they connect to where the old telephone pole was in my garden? Or will I have to dig a channel for them from that pole to the road?

There must be pre-existing ducting in place along the road? Unless they are using some sort of mole ploughing technology but I haven't seen them use it before.

I'm not sure about the connection to your home. They usually try to follow the existing copper route.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Think CAT 5 has a Max speed of 100 mb

Cat5 will did Gbit ... but not at great distance. Needs to be Cat5e, really.

Also, it could also be wired, so that only 2 pairs are crimpted. That would also give you a max of 100.

/M

• Advertisement

Think I'm after realising the issue. The house has Cat 5 cable running through it. Thats what the OpenEir tech linked the modem to. The ONT is in a separate room. Think CAT 5 has a Max speed of 100 mb

Log into the router and ho to the Maintain tab. Under Interface Status you should see what speed the Ethernet WAN is connected at.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Hi folks, following this thread for what seems like years. A private company working on behalf of eir have recently started installing new poles in my area and are also running some ducting. Just wondering the time scale from new poles to fibre in the house.

riggerman wrote: »
    Hi folks, following this thread for what seems like years. A private company working on behalf of eir have recently started installing new poles in my area and are also running some ducting. Just wondering the time scale from new poles to fibre in the house.

In my area it was several months but that was towards the beginning of the rollout. According to themselves they will be completely finished by the end of June so aim for that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KerrAvon

There must be pre-existing ducting in place along the road? Unless they are using some sort of mole ploughing technology but I haven't seen them use it before.

I'm not sure about the connection to your home. They usually try to follow the existing copper route.

They seemed to do the same thing on our road too, the fibre cable comes from the opposite direction to the copper cable. Then they put a dp on what had been the last pole on the line and strung the fire along the poles from there.

It's about 500m of road with the first house in from the main road showing available, the next 4 skipped and the last 2 on that section of road available.
    This matches the original rollout map even though the fibre is taking a different route.

KerrAvon wrote: »
    They seemed to do the same thing on our road too, the fibre cable comes from the opposite direction to the copper cable. Then they put a dp on what had been the last pole on the line and strung the fire along the poles from there.

It's about 500m of road with the first house in from the main road showing available, the next 4 skipped and the last 2 on that section of road available.
    This matches the original rollout map even though the fibre is taking a different route.

Yeah the fibre line they’re putting in looks like it’s heading back to a cabinet. And yeah thought they would use the existing poles but it looks as if that won’t be the case - road is lined with trees on both sides I can see the logic in not using overhead. And definitely no existing ducts this is all brand new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Didn't happen today. The pole between the one the DP is on and the one the duct is on needs to be replaced, survey was done today and I was given an ETA of a week or so for that to arrive.
    Also, the duct was blocked. He fed the yellow reel in the ETU end and if got stuck after about 5 metres. He suggested I cut the cable and pull a drawstring myself, and I when tried to pull down at the pole end of the duct I just ended up ripping the duct loose from the pole it was that firmly stuck. Might have to be an overhead job.

Yeah the fibre line they’re putting in looks like it’s heading back to a cabinet. And yeah thought they would use the existing poles but it looks as if that won’t be the case - road is lined with trees on both sides I can see the logic in not using overhead. And definitely no existing ducts this is all brand new.

Are you sure about that? Because if you are where I think you are there is an existing 100mm pipe running underground all along the proposed fibre route. They would be digging to renovate existing access chambers and perhaps build some new ones.

Are you sure about that? Because if you are where I think you are there is an existing 100mm pipe running underground all along the proposed fibre route. They would be digging to renovate existing access chambers and perhaps build some new ones.

You could be right I didn’t get very close and it was almost dark when I got home, what would that pipe have been used for? I had a telephone line installed 7 years ago when I moved here and it was all pole access here.

Marlow wrote: »
    Cat5 will did Gbit ... but not at great distance. Needs to be Cat5e, really.

Also, it could also be wired, so that only 2 pairs are crimpted. That would also give you a max of 100.

/M

I posted a link a few pages back to where a shop in the us tested a lot of ethernet cables and most of the CAT6 cables didn't even meet CAT5 specs. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/is-your-cat6-a-dog.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You could be right I didn’t get very close and it was almost dark when I got home, what would that pipe have been used for? I had a telephone line installed 7 years ago when I moved here and it was all pole access here.

It was not uncommon, when eircom 'had' to upgrade poles/copper and routes in some areas, that they put in ducting at that time.
    They did so in this area about 20 years ago (maybe more) and all the existing poles were kept for overhead distribution to houses which did not have ducted access.
    That same ducting is now used for fibre distribution.

It was not uncommon, when eircom 'had' to upgrade poles/copper and routes in some areas, that they put in ducting at that time.
    They did so in this area about 20 years ago (maybe more) and all the existing poles were kept for overhead distribution to houses which did not have ducted access.
    That same ducting is now used for fibre distribution.

Mad how they had to put a pole into our garden and use overhead - even though we were using ducting to get the line into the house 8 years ago?

I like that they're using underground for our area now - as the old telephone line I used to have was a nightmare every winter with disconnects.
    But now I think I'll have some work to do as the pole(where old line feeds duct to house) in my garden isn't directly on the road it's about 4 metres in. I'm guessing I'll be left with the job of digging a trench from the road to join with the duct that goes into my house?

Mad how they had to put a pole into our garden and use overhead - even though we were using ducting to get the line into the house 8 years ago?

I like that they're using underground for our area now - as the old telephone line I used to have was a nightmare every winter with disconnects.
    But now I think I'll have some work to do as the pole(where old line feeds duct to house) in my garden isn't directly on the road it's about 4 metres in. I'm guessing I'll be left with the job of digging a trench from the road to join with the duct that goes into my house?

If the required duct extension is on your property then you are responsible for it.

I guess I was lucky, this house was built in the late 70s/early 80s and both ESB and telephone were brought in through ducting.
    I resurfaced the front (concrete not tarmacadam) a few years ago, and replaced the old ducting at that time. So I was well prepared .... even have an extra duct in place, unused to date, which I can use for whatever purpose I wish .... maybe bringing out power to a home charger for an electric vehicle or power for electric gates or garden socket, or lights etc etc.
    I am very glad now I had the foresight to replace the old duct and put in extra duct before I resurfaced the area.

So you disconnected your mains power cable, pulled it out of the old duct and then threaded it back through new ducting and connected it back up? I have a feeling I am being obtuse here and am missing the obvious.:confused:

If the required duct extension is on your property then you are responsible for it.

I guess I was lucky, this house was built in the late 70s/early 80s and both ESB and telephone were brought in through ducting.
    I resurfaced the front (concrete not tarmacadam) a few years ago, and replaced the old ducting at that time. So I was well prepared .... even have an extra duct in place, unused to date, which I can use for whatever purpose I wish .... maybe bringing out power to a home charger for an electric vehicle or power for electric gates or garden socket, or lights etc etc.
    I am very glad now I had the foresight to replace the old duct and put in extra duct before I resurfaced the area.

Yeah I was guessing I would - sucks they didn't use the duct first time round I would have had no problem now. But hey if thats the price of getting connected - bit of a workout for me!:D

cnocbui wrote: »
    So you disconnected your mains power cable, pulled it out of the old duct and then threaded it back through new ducting and connected it back up? I have a feeling I am being obtuse here and am missing the obvious.:confused:

First thing is the ESB and Telephone are in two different ducts, so the copper/fibre duct could be replaced without touching the ESB duct.

As it turns out, I moved the ESB meter, which had been inside the house (as was the norm back then) and put it at my boundary wall in an ESB approved box. Then brought in a suitable cable from meter to consumer unit inside..
    The meter can now be read from outside my gate.
    So yes I repurposed the original ESB ducting to take the feed from meter to consumer unit and moved it to suit the location of the new consumer unit.

The two operations were not connected (ESB duct & copper/fibre duct) although they were done at the same time while I had the ground open.

I hope that helps clear up your confusion :)

• Advertisement

Yeah I was guessing I would - sucks they didn't use the duct first time round I would have had no problem now. But hey if thats the price of getting connected - bit of a workout for me!:D

You're getting confused. The distribution cable will be underground but the drop cables to the homes will take their existing routes. So if your copper cable came from a pole your fibre cable will take the same route. There will be no need to install ducting on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninkel

Just wondering would any knowledgeable person know what are the correct settings for attaching a Huawei Eir Dongle E686 to the Eir Router F2000.
    Over an hour on to Eir on the phone -- no joy.
    Thanks

You're getting confused. The distribution cable will be underground but the drop cables to the homes will take their existing routes. So if your copper cable came from a pole your fibre cable will take the same route. There will be no need to install ducting on your part.

What is the distribution cable for? Distributing what to where? There are about 20 houses on this exchange getting FTTH.

What is the distribution cable for? Distributing what to where? There are about 20 houses on this exchange getting FTTH.

58 according to the plan. The distribution cable is the multi fibre (36 strand) cable that comes from the exchange or cabinet. It is the cable that is connected to distribution points. It is likely that your existing copper distribution cable (a large multi pair cable) is in the 100mm pipe. The poles all seem to be used for drop cables to houses from what I see.

Navi you are a legend thanks for the detailed information.

58 according to the plan. The distribution cable is the multi fibre (36 strand) cable that comes from the exchange or cabinet. It is the cable that is connected to distribution points. It is likely that your existing copper distribution cable (a large multi pair cable) is in the 100mm pipe. The poles all seem to be used for drop cables to houses from what I see.

I will need to talk to the guys that come out to run the fibre to the pole in my garden so, because if it follows the same path as the copper cable I'm not going to sign up - the copper line crosses my neighbours garden and goes through a forest of trees that previously constantly caused problem with my phone line and eircom would take weeks to fix it.

I will need to talk to the guys that come out to run the fibre to the pole in my garden so, because if it follows the same path as the copper cable I'm not going to sign up - the copper line crosses my neighbours garden and goes through a forest of trees that previously constantly caused problem with my phone line and eircom would take weeks to fix it.

Even if you wanted them to they are unlikely to bring the cable through a forest of trees. A lot would depend on where the distribution point is placed that you will be fed from.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Install was ment to be today but got a phone call from open air yesterday saying install can not happen due to something on vodafones end. I ran the 01 number back and it was indeed open air. They said again it was on the Vodafone's end the problem was.
    Rang vodafone today and they said the account will update in 24/48 hours and they will be back in touch.
    Confused.

Even if you wanted them to they are unlikely to bring the cable through a forest of trees. A lot would depend on where the distribution point is placed that you will be fed from.

Yeah from what I've read here they seem to be conscious of future problems and copper was a lot simpler to patch up. If they bring it directly from across the road I'm perfect no trees to deal with. Thanks again Navi - nice to know these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Not nessacarily likely yes but it's possible the copper could be on a pole and the dp in ground next to a pole can get a duct to same jb4 as do and have it all underground or duct to jb4 that feeds a pole with fibre dp on it run drop down pole from the dp to jb4 and up customers duct into house. Underground is always a better option. Less can go wrong with it it's just has a higher possiblity of having blockage issues and opening up ground

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement