Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

turbbo wrote: »
    Yeah from what I've read here they seem to be conscious of future problems and copper was a lot simpler to patch up. If they bring it directly from across the road I'm perfect no trees to deal with. Thanks again Navi - nice to know these things.

If there is another pole you could tell them you want it to come from there over to your house within reason and if it's a viable path just another overhead span

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I've got the 1GB line with Airwire. Everything is great and has been since we got it but the last few days the wifi has been consistently dropping for a few seconds at a time. It's fine when plugged in so it's just the wifi dropping but I've no idea why. Anyone have this problem and know of a fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

correction wrote: »
    I've got the 1GB line with Airwire. Everything is great and has been since we got it but the last few days the wifi has been consistently dropping for a few seconds at a time. It's fine when plugged in so it's just the wifi dropping but I've no idea why. Anyone have this problem and know of a fix?

Try to change the channel. The Fritz!Box has a wifi-analyzer, that tells you what other devices are nearby and what channels they are using. So that gives you a good idea, what channels to pick.

What you are experiencing sounds like interference from another device.

/M

So there's a push to get ftth installs completed off now where ftth orders with no light at the dp can get completed off now. Basically no light the job still goes ahead and all equipment put in place then a light gets put on the end of the cable and is read from the other end with a light meter screenshots are taken job then gets referred to the network/open eir to resolve. So homeowner doesn't have to stick around no follow up visits.
    Not sure what's supposed to happen with ont activation maybe when it's resolved it gets activated remotely and a follow up call to confirm as Navi said if customer is getting gigabit speed it needs to be better than -18db if customer is getting 150mbps then install can go ahead if light is no worse than -24db
    It just means that the person didn't sit around at home for nothing and the network lads have to come out and fix/improve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

babi-hrse wrote: »
    So there's a push to get ftth installs completed off now where ftth orders with no light at the dp can get completed off now. Basically no light the job still goes ahead and all equipment put in place then a light gets put on the end of the cable and is read from the other end with a light meter screenshots are taken job then gets referred to the network/open eir to resolve. So homeowner doesn't have to stick around no follow up visits.
    Not sure what's supposed to happen with ont activation maybe when it's resolved it gets activated remotely and a follow up call to confirm as Navi said if customer is getting gigabit speed it needs to be better than -18db if customer is getting 150mbps then install can go ahead if light is no worse than -24db
    It just means that the person didn't sit around at home for nothing and the network lads have to come out and fix/improve it.

Where is the light source placed? At the distribution point or at the exchange? Where is the measurement taken with the light meter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Yep, i can confirm that, KN eng got email about this week or so ago.

Where is the light source placed? At the distribution point or at the exchange? Where is the measurement taken with the light meter?

End of the cable and meter on other end.
    Basically confirming our splices are good and it's not going to be the cable that's at fault.
    Typically the cable reads -8.5db~0.5
    So if the light gets improved on the network end of a faulty cable itll come through clean and won't be degraded by the customer drop cable.

Basically confirming our splices are good and it's not going to be the cable that's at fault.
    So if the light gets improved on the network end of a faulty cable itll come through clean and won't be degraded by the customer drop cable.

OK. So basically it is just certifying the drop cable from the DP to the premises and it is then up to open eir to rectify the fault from the DP to the exchange. Amazing it has taken them so long to come up with this!

OK. So basically it is just certifying the drop cable from the DP to the premises and it is then up to open eir to rectify the fault from the DP to the exchange. Amazing it has taken them so long to come up with this!

Exactly
    Ah it's probably been mentioned many times but I'd say the powers that be way up high didn't believe in problems and thought it a non issue and wouldn't make a special case for a situation such as this till now.
    It was brainless not to a whole row of addresses could be coming onstream one then the next in drip drop fashion all jobs halted on that cluster then resolved and expected to cover the entire cluster at once. Better to get the actual premises end done and dusted. There's been people with ducting left in the open and can't close up their driveways waiting to get the line in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Marlow wrote: »
    Try to change the channel. The Fritz!Box has a wifi-analyzer, that tells you what other devices are nearby and what channels they are using. So that gives you a good idea, what channels to pick.

What you are experiencing sounds like interference from another device.

/M

Will give this a go. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Should have been doing that from the start, nothing like annoying the hell out of people with multiple failed installs for something that wasn't anything to do with them

Sorry that is to say at cable at dp end and at fibre cradle other end.
    Oh the much loved cradles are back in stock

Also I hope you don't think I'm telling you how to do your job but there is no way a drop cable should have 8.5dB loss considering that 1km of single mode fibre loses about 0.36dB and those connectors you posted the other day have 0.3dB typical insertion loss so 0.96dB for 1km with two connectors. At 8.5dB I think the connections need to be redone.

Not entirely related but I ran cat5 cable in the wall about 6" in parallel with a Romex power cable not having any cat6 I just wrapped the cat5 duct in tinfoil and a copper jumper wire to ground will this stave off emi

Also I hope you don't think I'm telling you how to do your job but there is no way a drop cable should have 8.5dB loss considering that 1KM of single mode fibre loses about 0.36dB and those connectors you posted the other day have 0.3dB typical insertion loss so 0.96dB for 1KM with two connectors. At 8.5dB I think the connections need to be redone.
    No the light generator is about that range. The actual transmittance of the cable itself I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It was mentioned on this thread a while back that Eirs 1TB allowance would not apply anymore, is this the case? Because my new bill is €114 and its the first time I have gone over the 1TB, (by 89GB) The PDF for the bill isn't available yet so I cant see what the charge is.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Pangea wrote: »
    It was mentioned on this thread a while back that Eirs 1TB allowance would not apply anymore, is this the case? Because my new bill is €114 and its the first time I have gone over the 1TB, (by 89GB) The PDF for the bill isn't available yet so I cant see what the charge is.

I got my first bill for the FTTH yesterday but like you the .pdf isn't available yet but it was very high so I rang up, they came to the conclusion that instead of paying 99 quid for the installation fee, I paid the full price of 150 so I had to ring the billing department. I was on hold for 40 mins and it just went dead. It was nearly 6pm so I left it. I tried to ring at 9am and 9.30 today and after listening to ****e talk it say they are closed.

I'm guessing it's not your first bill so who knows what the charges are but they are making mistakes with the bills, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

correction wrote: »

Was someone using the microwave at the time, by any chance?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Was someone using the microwave at the time, by any chance?

I remember years back on a wrt-xxxx modem that loved to overheat used to always give poor connection around 7pm for about 20 minutes or so rebooting didn't seem to do the trick
    Eventually found out it was the neibhours built in microwave from the early 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I remember years back on a wrt-xxxx modem that loved to overheat used to always give poor connection around 7pm for about 20 minutes or so rebooting didn't seem to do the trick
    Eventually found out it was the neibhours built in microwave from the early 90s

Also baby monitors can interfere with wifi.

I think in Japan they might want to make sure their fibre cables are really strong: https://twitter.com/baritone_666/status/1082047203915386881

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

New customers after 25th July 2018 have no FUP, everyone else still has a FUP but if you contact Eir you can have it removed.
    Eir frequently make mistakes with their billing so it could also be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Have a bit longer to wait.
    Please note, some further work is required before your installation can go ahead.
    The current forecast date for completion of this work is 27/05/2019. Should this change we will be in contact with you.
    Once completed, we will be in touch to arrange your installation appointment.
    Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
    The Vodafone Network Crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The current forecast date for completion of this work is 27/05/2019.

Thats just the default 3 month forecast date of OpenEir. The majority of providers ignore that, because it is meaningless. Because either they fix it within 2-3 weeks or it could take 6 months+ to go right. In the latter case OpenEir just automatically extend the deadline by another 3 months, when they exceed that date ;)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Is there anyway to keep the pressure on.

Sorry for the mistake in punctuation I forgot a comma. Tidied up now.

Is there anyway to keep the pressure on Marlow.

If you have any mafia contacts.... Or did you perhaps forget a comma?

tuxy wrote: »
    New customers after 25th July 2018 have no FUP, everyone else still has a FUP but if you contact Eir you can have it removed.
    Eir frequently make mistakes with their billing so it could also be that.

Thanks I spoke to 'Eir chat', They said I was charged €20 for going over the FUP, They were very slow responding it was fifteen minutes before they actually could see my bill, waste of time, the chat ceased then :rolleyes:
    Rang Eir, I want to get a new contract as my contract is up and want to get some discounts, man said he would put me through to sales and maybe I could get the FUP removed while I am at it, waited for an hour on the phone till I gave up. :eek: I will try again on Monday Morning maybe it won't be so busy.

There are other companies who actually answer the phone. Might be worth considering while you are out of contact.

tuxy wrote: »
    There are other companies who actually answer the phone. Might be worth considering while you are out of contact.
    Oh god no, I had a job to get FTTH in and wouldn't dream of going through the hassle and installation all over again.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Oh god no, I had a job to get FTTH in and wouldn't dream of going through the hassle and installation all over again.

It's an electronic switch-over. Why would there be hassle or installation?

• Advertisement

Exactly, loads of companies offering ftth over the open eir network. Switching company is very straight forward.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/ (there's also Sky who are missing from that list)

Based on feedback here I'd recommend either Airwire or Digiweb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement