Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

educate me :)

- where?

Would you ever give it a rest? Always bring things off topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Would you ever give it a rest? Always bring things off topic...

its inevitable in this group - in this group people have been asking questions about routers and signal not reaching parts of the house rather than FTTH discussions and yet i don't hear you telling others they are dragging it off topic.

anyway, what harm?

- a man asked could he run cat 6 cable from his house to a bungalow I was merely answering his question with what i thought - where is the harm in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Marlow wrote: »
    Thats just the default 3 month forecast date of OpenEir. The majority of providers ignore that, because it is meaningless. Because either they fix it within 2-3 weeks or it could take 6 months+ to go right. In the latter case OpenEir just automatically extend the deadline by another 3 months, when they exceed that date ;)

/M
    The KN guy said a new pole would take about a week, then Westnet texted saying due to be set up by the end of May. Which date to trust? KN's, Westnet's, or somewhere in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    The KN guy said a new pole would take about a week, then Westnet texted saying due to be set up by the end of May. Which date to trust? KN's, Westnet's, or somewhere in between?

If it's on your property its about 2 week turnaround sometimes a lot quicker, public land you'll be waiting months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

fritzelly wrote: »
    If it's on your property its about 2 week turnaround sometimes a lot quicker, public land you'll be waiting months
    All on private, so no problems there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

Agreed, 2-3 weeks is a conservative estimate for the pole to be planted atm, just depends on the local poling crew. It's been known to happen within a week recently; then within a week usually for the provider to setup the order for install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, don't run copper between the two without safety.

1. Ideally use nanonstations or fibre with media converters (buy it pre terminated!)

2. If you can't do that you need an opto isolator to not create an electrical hazard. (~ 250USD for a gig one)
    He just tested with basic wireless and gets 48 mbits speeds, so he's over the moon. Two adjoining cottages as I said. I'm curious about the nanostations for myself. so might buy one or two and see how much they help.

Just out of curiosity, why would you need media converters in an all fibre setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KOR101 wrote: »
    He just tested with basic wireless and gets 48 mbits speeds, so he's over the moon. Two adjoining cottages as I said. I'm curious about the nanostations for myself. so might buy one or two and see how much they help.

Just out of curiosity, why would you need media converters in an all fibre setup?

Because the fibre link between the houses has nothing to do with the FTTH connection. It may not even be using the same type of fibre.

It would go (roughly) something like

ONT > Router > Ethernet to media converter > fibre to other premises > media converter > Ethernet to switch or router

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

yes your right of course - but if a lightning fork chose to get its fastest route to ground and there were some pvc covered cable next to a exposed metal or copper cable where would the lightning choose to strike first?
    You're still missing the point. If lighting hits anywhere nearby, both the exposed copper cable and the insulated cable will have a large current induced in them. Both currents need to get to ground, by whatever means necessary. If one of those cables is plugged into a router, the path to ground will be straight through the Ethernet transformers, across the ground plane of the router's circuit board, and out through the power supply. If the power supply isn't grounded, there may be a nice path to ground via a PC connected to the router.

Shunting 300kV to ground via an improvised path is not kind to circuitry.

KN will have given Westnet a forecast date (via open eir). Those forecasts are rarely accurate, but it's the only information an ISP has, so it's all they can legitimately tell you. They'll keep an eye on the order until it goes "reschedule requested" and make a new appointment with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You're still missing the point. If lighting hits anywhere nearby, both the exposed copper cable and the insulated cable will have a large current induced in them. Both currents need to get to ground, by whatever means necessary. If one of those cables is plugged into a router, the path to ground will be straight through the Ethernet transformers, across the ground plane of the router's circuit board, and out through the power supply. If the power supply isn't grounded, there may be a nice path to ground via a PC connected to the router.

Shunting 300kV to ground via an improvised path is not kind to circuitry.

OK - I bow to your greater knowledge on the subject. Anyway getting back to how often lightning strikes in this country in the first place. In the UK I used tio see spectacular lighting in the shape of forks over the fields in the UK .. but I dont think I have ever seen 1 instant of forked lightening for the 28 years I have been living in Ireland. I am sure it must exist , but I have only ever seen sheet lightning over here lighting up the skies in a storm. and Lighting in the UK seemed to happen in hot/humid conditions mainly in the summer , but over here in Ireland I have seen thunderstorms in the winter.

anyway I will stop there because going right OT with talks of lightening and it has nothing to do directly with rural FTTH (unless of course the overhead fibre cable strewn from pole to pole has outer shielded metal inside for strength .. which I doubt it has these days?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Lads, just a quick question about ipv6 address. I don't have any issues at all on my home network, or any issues at all for that matter, but if I search google for "what's my ip address", it comes back with a huge string of an ipv6 address. If I want my public address, I have to actually go into a website, and they will tell me my public address and ipv6 address.

This is the first time I've ever saw this, and it's since I got the FTTH.

Any reason to disable ipv6 and just leave it as it is ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

IPv4 addresses are exhausted, v6 is the new standard, I say new they've been around for years

Disabling it may not cause a problem now but no one really knows what eir are using or may switch to in the future.
    There has been great furore to get all isps to move to v6 but lots don't yet and even some dns providers are not ready

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

IPv4 addresses are exhausted, v6 is the new standard, I say new they've been around for years

Disabling it may not cause a problem now but no one really knows what eir are using or may switch to in the future.
    There has been great furore to get all isps to move to v6 but lots don't yet and even some dns providers are not ready

I disabled IPv6 on my F2000 from eir some time back, after I had monitored how many IPv6 sites I was connecting to ..... very few, and all of those had IPv4 available also.

I used a browser extension called IPvFoo
    Description
    Display the server IP address, with a realtime summary of IPv4, IPv6, and HTTPS information across all page elements.

I have not noticed any problems since I did, and it is much easier to track what is happening for me.

Lads, just a quick question about ipv6 address. I don't have any issues at all on my home network, or any issues at all for that matter, but if I search google for "what's my ip address", it comes back with a huge string of an ipv6 address. If I want my public address, I have to actually go into a website, and they will tell me my public address and ipv6 address.

This is the first time I've ever saw this, and it's since I got the FTTH.

Any reason to disable ipv6 and just leave it as it is ?

Thanks

It's because you're connecting to Google over IPv6. There is no real need to disable it although saying it is going to take over any time soon is hyperbole. Adoption rates are actually slowing.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/21/ipv6_growth_is_slowing_and_no_one_knows_why/

http://ip4.me/ should give you your IPv4 address if you want to bookmark it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Ipv4 are exhausted already?
    I was doing networking only a few years back and the lecturer informed us why ipv6 was created but due to the huge cost to swap over all existing legacy and custom infrastructure and software they just decided to cheat and natted and patted their way past the issue for a while longer. Is ipv6 fully mainstream now?

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Yes, for several years now.
    I was doing networking only a few years back and the lecturer informed us why ipv6 was created but due to the huge cost to swap over all existing legacy and custom infrastructure and software they just decided to cheat and natted and patted their way past the issue for a while longer.
    NAT is a horrible, kludgy hack that breaks how the Internet was always intended to work. Carrier-grade NAT, or CGN, is just duplicating that horrible hack in your ISP's network where you have no control over it.
    Is ipv6 fully mainstream now?
    It is - I'm currently accessing boards.ie, all of Google (including YouTube), Facebook (when I can't avoid it), and many others using IPv6.

I don't understand why people disable it, if it's not causing them problems. It Just Works, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

You're still missing the point.

Running an electrical circuit of any sort between two premises, is dodgy as the two differing premises may well be fed by two differing phases of electricty.!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Yes, for several years now. NAT is a horrible, kludgy hack that breaks how the Internet was always intended to work. Carrier-grade NAT, or CGN, is just duplicating that horrible hack in your ISP's network where you have no control over it. It is - I'm currently accessing boards.ie, all of Google (including YouTube), Facebook (when I can't avoid it), and many others using IPv6.

I don't understand why people disable it, if it's not causing them problems. It Just Works, in my experience.

I have an ipv6 address I was quite surprised to see it but I just assumed it was forward thinking by a provider with the fact I asked for a fixed IP Addy and not the norm.

I'm not gonna lie when I started hearing about all the protocols to mitigate the fact that we were running out of ipv4 addresses I started hearing white noise wildcard subnet masks and I just thought the OSI or whoever is responsible for the way internet addressing works were making things very unessicarily difficult and convoluted trying to keep kicking the can down the road. Instead of changing over.

I'm not gonna lie when I started hearing about all the protocols to mitigate the fact that we were running out of ipv4 addresses I started hearing white noise wildcard subnet masks and I just thought the OSI or whoever is responsible for the way internet addressing works were making things very unessicarily difficult and convoluted trying to keep kicking the can down the road. Instead of changing over.

As long as there are internet services that are only available on IPv4 and not on IPv6, ISPs are going to have to provide a way to reach those services. The old way to do that was to give every customer a publicly-routable IPv4 address. As that becomes steadily less feasible, ISPs are being forced to have several customers share a single publicly-routable IPv4 address, in exactly the same way that all the devices on your LAN share a single public IPv4 address.

There's no easy technical fix for this. When you point your browser at www.oldskoolsite.com, the first thing that happens is a DNS lookup. If the lookup returns an IPv6 AAAA record and you have a working IPv6 stack, you can connect to it over IPv6. If there's no AAAA record, just an IPv4 A record, then your computer will use its IPv4 stack to connect to the site. That means that your ISP has to route IPv4 from your computer to IPv4 on the website, and the only straightforward way to do that is IPv4 all the way.

I've heard rumblings from people like Microsoft that at some point they're just going to stop putting IPv4 addresses on servers, and if you want to access them, figure out some way of getting IPv6 working. I'm afraid that it will take something pretty significant like that to get the final push across the line for universal v6 adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Rang up Eir loyalty team and got €20 off the bill each month for next 12 months and got the FUP removed, so I am happy with that, Eir Sport app isn't casting to chromecast anymore though, anyone else have this experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Pangea wrote: »
    Eir Sport app isn't casting to chromecast anymore though, anyone else have this experience?

There's a thread about that.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057957930/1/#post109582748

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Pangea wrote: »
    Rang up Eir loyalty team and got €20 off the bill each month for next 12 months and got the FUP removed, so I am happy with that, Eir Sport app isn't casting to chromecast anymore though, anyone else have this experience?

Did you call 1901 and have to wait for an age or did you have a direct number for the loyalty team ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Did you call 1901 and have to wait for an age or did you have a direct number for the loyalty team ?

I rang 1901, 25 minutes to get through then another hour to get through to loyalty, total phonecall was nearly 2 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Hi All,

KN installed the FTTH line and router set up this morning at my house. In the past 30mins, my existing BB has dropped but I am still seeing a red light on the FTTH box. KN engineer said there was no signal coming in yet and that when the red light turned green, it should be ready to go then.

Anyone any ideas roughly how long this can take based on their experience???

TIA!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your profile should have been provisioned before he got there so there shouldnt be a delay.

Call Eir. The auth fail (red light) may be due to a starved pool and that will take an indefinite period to self resolve.

Hi All,

KN installed the FTTH line and router set up this morning at my house. In the past 30mins, my existing BB has dropped but I am still seeing a red light on the FTTH box. KN engineer said there was no signal coming in yet and that when the red light turned green, it should be ready to go then.

Anyone any ideas roughly how long this can take based on their experience???

TIA!

Sounds like it could be one of these new installations where the job goes ahead even though the line is not actually ready. babi-hrse who is a KN installer posted about it here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109554533

Did the installer mention anything like this to you? If this is the case you could be quite a while without a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Yep. It seems like you are on the wrong downstream profile. I don't envy you trying to get to speak to someone who will be able to fix it.

Just to update nearly 2 months after raising the fault of getting incorrect download speed I.e. 143mbps on a 300 mbps package and at least 10 direct engagements with Eir to resolve I am still no further on.

I have provided 4 sets of data in hard copy showing the profile doesn’t deliver anywhere near 300mbps at my house but does at a neighbors and all Eir/OE keep saying is you have light so no problem. It’s as if they think I should be grateful to have any sort of connection

Navi your prophecy was and is unnervingly accurate.

At this stage it is just a log the complaint and receive the bull**** exercise to pad out my complaint file for comerg.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

IPv4 has been exhausted in the RIPE region (Europe, North Africa, Middle East) since mid 2012 !!!! No more to be got. Yes .. that is 7 years ago.

IPv6 has been in production for over 10 years. Adoption has just been an issue.

And yes .. disabling IPv6 is a bad idea. It is the standard going forward.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just to update nearly 2 months after raising the fault of getting incorrect download speed I.e. 143mbps on a 300 mbps package and at least 10 direct engagements with Eir to resolve I am still no further on.

I have provided 4 sets of data in hard copy showing the profile doesn’t deliver anywhere near 300mbps at my house but does at a neighbors and all Eir/OE keep saying is you have light so no problem. It’s as if they think I should be grateful to have any sort of connection

Navi your prophecy was and is unnervingly accurate.

At this stage it is just a log the complaint and receive the bull**** exercise to pad out my complaint file for comerg.

Can you not cancel the contract because they are in breach of contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

At the moment they are saying the service works and my equipment cannot pull in the full 300mbps even though I have provided proof that it does and has at a neighbors house. I may have to consider what you have suggested if it is low/no cost to transfer to another provider. Part of my determination to get a solution is to ensure that if it is a profiling error could it transfer across to another supplier? I may be way off the mark with that logic?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement