Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have they upgraded then downgraded you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

At the moment they are saying the service works and my equipment cannot pull in the full 300mbps even though I have provided proof that it does and has at a neighbors house. I may have to consider what you have suggested if it is low/no cost to transfer to another provider. Part of my determination to get a solution is to ensure that if it is a profiling error could it transfer across to another supplier? I may be way off the mark with that logic?

This probably won't fix it but on the off chance did you try disabling Bandwidth Control in the router? It solved another poster's issue.

Internet > Bandwidth Control

in the router menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

cnocbui wrote: »
    Can you not cancel the contract because they are in breach of contract?
    ED E wrote: »
    Have they upgraded then downgraded you?

No apparently tech support can’t do it but CS can. I got transferred to CS who say they can’t do it, it’s up to tech support.........round and round we go

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

This probably won't fix it but on the off chance did you try disabling Bandwidth Control in the router? It solved another poster's issue.

Internet > Bandwidth Control

in the router menu.

Yea tried that at Dubinthewests suggestion. No joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No apparently tech support can’t do it but CS can. I got transferred to CS who say they can’t do it, it’s up to tech support.........round and round we go

Jaysus, its a few clicks and a few minutes wait in between changing it back

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Your profile should have been provisioned before he got there so there shouldnt be a delay.

Call Eir. The auth fail (red light) may be due to a starved pool and that will take an indefinite period to self resolve.

Thanks, rang Eir who say everything is active on their end. However still a red light this morning. I think I have been "mis-sold" a product here! Eir Rep stated that the fibre line was active when he called to the house last week. What annoys me is the fact that they disabled the existing BB and phone line also appears to be in-active! Think its a Cancellation phone call next!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Thanks, rang Eir who say everything is active on their end. However still a red light this morning. I think I have been "mis-sold" a product here! Eir Rep stated that the fibre line was active when he called to the house last week. What annoys me is the fact that they disabled the existing BB and phone line also appears to be in-active! Think its a Cancellation phone call next!

I've had sales people banging on the door already trying to sell fibre...the DP is just about tied to the pole outside the front of the house, not even put up properly!! So no way it's live & probably a few weeks from going live. They just don't care, just want to sell & sell to get their commission. Always great to see what they say when they come up against someone who actually knows a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Does the phone service come through the existing phone line or through the fibre line?

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Does the phone service come through the existing phone line or through the fibre line?

It can be either. If your existing copper landline is with eir retail and you order FTTH from eir retail they may leave the landline on copper. Most other scenarios will see the landline put onto the fibre.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify:

You have green lights on the ONT (small box) and a red internet light on the modem? If so the fibre line pretty much has to be active as the OLT is talking to your ONT.

If you have the time flipping from IPOE to PPPoE may show their error/bypass the mess they've made but its up to you if you want to try that. Doing it on the line with a decent support agent would probably be simplest.

Just to clarify:

You have green lights on the ONT (small box) and a red internet light on the modem? If so the fibre line pretty much has to be active as the OLT is talking to your ONT.

If you have the time flipping from IPOE to PPPoE may show their error/bypass the mess they've made but its up to you if you want to try that. Doing it on the line with a decent support agent would probably be simplest.

My guess is that the red light is the LOS on the ONT and they've installed even though the line is not ready. Maybe not though.

Its "normal" for KNN to leave installs sitting with an auth fail as thats a retail ISP issue (bar where they've the incorrect port) but if it were a LOS that's seriously out of line. Procedure would be to fail the install and revert it to as was (at least AFAIK).

Just to clarify:

The Red Light is the LOS light on the FTTH box on the wall (sorry dont know the correct name for this box), its not the modem. I have 2 Green Lights and then the LOS light flashing red. Been onto Tech Support and Customer Service and neither seem to be of any help at all......

Its "normal" for KNN to leave installs sitting with an auth fail as thats a retail ISP issue (bar where they've the incorrect port) but if it were a LOS that's seriously out of line. Procedure would be to fail the install and revert it to as was (at least AFAIK).

babi-hrse has posted that they can do this now. The installer will check his portion of the line from the DP to the premises with a light source and meter and complete the install. It's then up to open eir to fix any issues from DP to exchange. Saves recurrent call outs but yet again the customer is forgotten about as seems to have happened here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109554533

The Red Light is the LOS light on the FTTH box on the wall (sorry dont know the correct name for this box), its not the modem. I have 2 Green Lights and then the LOS light flashing red. Been onto Tech Support and Customer Service and neither seem to be of any help at all......

I'm afraid I was right. You've been shafted. The line is not ready and you've been left without a connection.

I'm afraid I was right. You've been shafted. The line is not ready and you've been left without a connection.

Ah well, back to my previous ISP this evening it is.
    At least the set up is complete for when the line does become active and all I will need then is the necessary modem!

Ah well, back to my previous ISP this evening it is.
    At least the set up is complete for when the line does become active and all I will need then is the necessary modem!

I hope you have no issues going back. If it were me I'd be escalating this to Comreg. It is completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Just to clarify:

He might have one of the no light at dp installs
    When job gets passed off as complete the provider make changes think (ipoe TV services VoIP and the like) one of these things can include deactivating services on other old infrastructure.
    So the copper BB could be restricted locked on but no pppoe with provider (I think that's they way of it) if that's happened it's a mess. There's no try it and if it's not what you want you cannot revert as far as I know on oe systems.
    Can op confirm Los on ont is red

babi-hrse wrote: »
    He might have one of the no light at dp installs
    When job gets passed off as complete the provider make changes think (ipoe TV services VoIP and the like) one of these things can include deactivating services on other old infrastructure.
    So the copper BB could be restricted locked on but no pppoe with provider (I think that's they way of it) if that's happened it's a mess. There's no try it and if it's not what you want you cannot revert as far as I know on oe systems.
    Can op confirm Los on ont is red

He already did. It's a complete joke that people can be left without any connection.

• Advertisement

I hope you have no issues going back. If it were me I'd be escalating this to Comreg. It is completely unacceptable.

Id imagine that switching back is the same as been a returning customer and the ISP will take care of cancellations etc from EIR.

Unfortunately I prob dont have time to wait for Comreg to sort it out as I need the BB and phone for work purposes as I work from home a lot.

Ask tech to check if the job has posted complete or the due completion date, your switchover may not be due to have happened yet

fritzelly wrote: »
    Ask tech to check if the job has posted complete or the due completion date, your switchover may not be due to have happened yet

Will be ringing Tech Support when I get home from work tonight to try some debug crap.....will ask them about the dates....

But they have reached out and cancelled my previous ISP and I received the txt's from EIR yesterday stating that the BB switch was completed and that my landline # is now active on their service.......when obv it is not!

In that case forget that

Will be ringing Tech Support when I get home from work tonight to try some debug crap.....will ask them about the dates....

But they have reached out and cancelled my previous ISP and I received the txt's from EIR yesterday stating that the BB switch was completed and that my landline # is now active on their service.......when obv it is not!

So your previous ISP is not eir? I think you're going to have issues getting the old connection back.

This will be up to what UG will allow.

Cyclist can't do a transfer of services as the NGA product is dud so its a case of cessation of PON and electrical enablement new order for I presume ADSL. Retaining the number creates a headache of calls to CS.

Sometimes what happens is the winback cooling off is not cancelled and a date 10 days in the future is set for switchover, you can then cancel the cooling off but the switchover date stays as is

Surely the retail ISPs should have been informed that KNN would be "completing" installations where there is no light at the DP. Can any of the ISPs here confirm if they were told about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

This is exactly why jobs were being failed for no light at the dp. Because once it's at line check pass whatever is to happen will happen.
    The networks crew are flagged to get it up and running asap now that there is a customer on the other end of it. But yes it is to get put down in another category as no light at dp. Which should let the provider/open eir (don't know where the actual switchover happens) know not to change anything over. This could be a teething error or just sheer lack of foresight. I'd say this way about doing things is a trial and likely to be a short lived one if problems like this occour

• Advertisement

When you say a line check pass you mean an optical pass on the drop? Or full optical path?

Wonder what message its passing to the ISPs platform. The latest public IPM doesnt detail it that I can see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement