Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

ED E wrote: »
    When you say a line check pass you mean an optical pass on the drop? Or full optical path?

Wonder what message its passing to the ISPs platform. The latest public IPM doesnt detail it that I can see.

No it's a facility to alert whoever's on the backend of an order do action whatever is to be actioned. Ie port migration from one provider to another. Ipoe streaming TV services vobb and all that magic that gets done. On the copper network say someone is with one provider let's use eir for example and someone is going to Vodafone and using the same port in the cabinet. Basically that port would be provisioned for eir and has vobb and eir TV multicast running on it. If you stuck a Vodafone modem in you'll get synch but you won't get access to the internet and the Vodafone TV streaming services. When it's sent back for line check the port then migrates over to Vodafone and they have control of the port. The modem will usually start re-training and establish synch and then do a reboot then the TV services start happening. So its sorta a backend. Once it goes past that it's as far as I know impossible to make that un-happen. This is generally something I let shipping or IT firms know when I've got an order for an existing working line to change over. Because there is no trying it and see approach and then changing their minds when the static IP address and their entire arp table goes out the window for CCTV VPNS and intranets.

It just gets marked down in services on the job as a no light ftth install

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Surely the retail ISPs should have been informed that KNN would be "completing" installations where there is no light at the DP. Can any of the ISPs here confirm if they were told about this.
    Nope. If I had a job marked "completed" and found that there was no light at the DP, I'd be spitting brimstone at my account manager. If there's no light at the DP, then the installation hasn't completed, whether or not fibre has been run to the customer's premises and an ONT stuck to the wall.
    babi-hrse wrote: »
    It just gets marked down in services on the job as a no light ftth install
    Clear this up for me: does a completion notice get sent to UG in a no-light situation?

Because if that's the case, I'll be looking for answers. It's a shame we didn't have this conversation just a day ago, the Product Development Workshop was this morning and it would have been a good opportunity to raise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Nope. If I had a job marked "completed" and found that there was no light at the DP, I'd be spitting brimstone at my account manager. If there's no light at the DP, then the installation hasn't completed, whether or not fibre has been run to the customer's premises and an ONT stuck to the wall.

Clear this up for me: does a completion notice get sent to UG in a no-light situation?

Because if that's the case, I'll be looking for answers. It's a shame we didn't have this conversation just a day ago, the Product Development Workshop was this morning and it would have been a good opportunity to raise it.

I'd hope that it was installer error and that he chose "completed" rather than some other option such as for example "ONT + drop installed but no light". If open eir have allowed this partial install with no such latter option for the installer to select it is the height of incompetence.

I'd hope that it was installer error and that he chose "completed" rather than some other option such as for example "ONT + drop installed but no light". If open eir have allowed this partial install with no such latter option for the installer to select it is the height of incompetence.

This is probable but it's hard to say it's a new development. There are several places it could have come unstuck. It'd be nice if it was an installer error because then the system wouldn't be at fault and this instance could be rare but I'd believe anything as installing without light is not something I'd have come across before.

That I don't know. You'd have to bring that up with openeir, their contractors and their partners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Ok, so rang Tech Support last night, they confirmed everything looks fine on the account / profile end.
    They also confirmed the job was updated as "completed". They also said the engineer should never have completed or left the installation job while the LOS Red Light was flashing. Ticket has now been raised with Open Eir to come out and check what is going on......

Ok, so rang Tech Support last night, they confirmed everything looks fine on the account / profile end.
    They also confirmed the job was updated as "completed". They also said the engineer should never have completed or left the installation job while the LOS Red Light was flashing. Ticket has now been raised with Open Eir to come out and check what is going on......

This is sounding more like the tech made a mistake and completed job instead of putting it down as a no light ftth install.
    Now it comes out as a fault. They may rush to fix the dp as there is somebody with a completed install in error that is without service their paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

babi-hrse wrote: »
    This is sounding more like the tech made a mistake and completed job instead of putting it down as a no light ftth install.
    Now it comes out as a fault. They may rush to fix the dp as there is somebody with a completed install in error that is without service their paying for.

Hopefully they "rush" to investigate the DP and get this resolved......

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Pangea wrote: »
    I rang 1901, 25 minutes to get through then another hour to get through to loyalty, total phonecall was nearly 2 hours!

Just did the same this Morning and after 1.5 hours of listening to hold music I got the same reduction as yourself. Will be doing the same this time next year - no point in paying full price when there are discounts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Tweaky wrote: »
    I rang 1901, 25 minutes to get through then another hour to get through to loyalty, total phonecall was nearly 2 hours!

Just did the same this Morning and after 1.5 hours of listening to hold music I got the same reduction as yourself. Will be doing the same this time next year - no point in paying full price when there are discounts out there.

I just went on MyEir app and requested a call back... they called me back the following day and got a nice discount .. so happy days and no hanging about in a queue ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Rang up Eir loyalty team and got €20 off the bill each month for next 12 months and got the FUP removed, so I am happy with that, Eir Sport app isn't casting to chromecast anymore though, anyone else have this experience?

Interesting ....... what service are you getting and what is the price now?

It is difficult to know because there were various prices given at times since the installs started.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Airwire

Airwire have without question exceeded my expectations in customer service.
    I can't recommend them strongly enough to anyone trying to decide on which provider to choose!

Don't play the Eir lotto ;-)

Tnx especially to Martin!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Johnjsm21

Wondering if anyone can answer this. I have the 1Gbps package and when downloading a large file i'm only getting 240Mbps speed. When I run speedtest on the PC I get about 500-600Mbps. There is actually only one system in my house that has gotten 900Mbps and thats an Android TV box using the speedtest app. When downloading a file should I be getting higher speeds for downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Johnjsm21 wrote: »
    When downloading a file should I be getting higher speeds for downloading.

Not necessarily, no matter your download speed capacity the server at the other end is what determines your speed. Many servers would restrict bandwidth so as to no affect other users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's true about file servers but you should still be getting close to 900 mbit in speed tests, something's not quite right.

Try download something off steam I think they have the capacity to send from their servers as fast as you can pull. See if you can download near maximum
    Additionally if still experiencing issues log into router and look for anything that may throttle ports Lan and wifi bandwidth control

If he is managing to get 900mb on one device then there is no issue with the connection on his side. The speeds on the other devices could be as a result of other things like HDD write speed

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not necessarily, no matter your download speed capacity the server at the other end is what determines your speed. Many servers would restrict bandwidth so as to no affect other users

Ok. Understand that but when downloading a file at that speed shouldn't I be able to technically download a second file at the same speed since the bandwidth is available. It should work except it isn't. Any idea of a test server that would show my exact speed or is speedtest the only way

Ok. Understand that but when downloading a file at that speed shouldn't I be able to technically download a second file at the same speed since the bandwidth is available. It should work except it isn't. Any idea of a test server that would show my exact speed or is speedtest the only way

From the same server?

https://www.speedtest.net is probably the most widely used

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Is the computer using a cat5/5e/6 connection?

Are there any power cables running parallel to this cable that may be causing interference?

What length is the cable?

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    From the same server?

https://www.speedtest.net is probably the most widely used

Sometimes yes but also different server

From the same server won't make any difference - if they are limiting capacity it's based on IP, downloads use multiple connections so downloading another file will still hit the limit.

Another server - I would be looking at the equipment you are using to download, as said above the ethernet cable, write speeds of the HDD/SSD

And remember you can only really test the speed on a wired connection.

Is it a dell with SmartByte installed?
    Is your CPU maxing out?
    And as said are you sure you are only using a wired connection and not using wifi by mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sometimes yes but also different server

From the same server, certainly not. If you have maxed it's capacity, that's it.

From other servers.. Different story. But mind .. download speed .. as stated already .. can also be limited by the speed you can write to your harddrive.

There are A LOT components involved here. So .. to get this right: download with 2 devices on your network from 2 different servers and see what you get. If you download on the same PC or device from two different servers your harddrive write speed can limit you.

There is lots of hardware out there, that can not max 1 Gbit/s at this point of time.

/M

I went through this yesterday
    Connection is 1Gbps

But I was seeing 400 mostly

Turns out I had the following problems:
    1) dodgy cat6 cables (made by yours truly)
    2) not all ethernet dongle are made even, my usb3 on does 1gbps, my thunderbolt3 one doesn't (certainly unexpected)
    3) one of my laptops is still incapable of going over 500mbps even with the usb3 dongle, expect its software related as it's the latest gen Dell xps

Finally last piece of advise is to prove your network,devices etc are Gb capable by using iperf3, i did this a while back for one or two runs from the switch but yesterday discovered I'd not tested all runs and had to fix them as it was throwing me yet another curve ball. If one or two things go wrong at same time it can get confusing fast.

I don't know if anyone else watches Louis Rossmann on youtube but he has covered this a few times over the years. Dongles are a terrible idea for high bandwidth ports and often don't work correctly. You would think ethernet would be something that's important enough to solder into the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone else watches Louis Rossmann on youtube but he has covered this a few times over the years. Dongles are a terrible idea for high bandwidth ports and often don't work correctly. You would think ethernet would be something that's important enough to solder into the board.

Problem being with some macs they don't have an ethernet port soldered onto the board and a dongle is your only option

brianbruff wrote: »
    3) one of my laptops is still incapable of going over 500mbps even with the usb3 dongle, expect its software related as it's the latest gen Dell xps

Check if SmartBytes is installed and get rid of of that. Be aware, that it gets re-installed on the next Dell update.
    tcawley29 wrote: »
    Problem being with some macs they don't have an ethernet port soldered onto the board and a dongle is your only option

Most Apple laptops these days. Also the entire Lenovo X1 Carbon and Yoga series. All too flat to accomodate that connector.

I've tested various dongles and you have to be darn picky. Some may only pass 200-300 Mbit/s. The Anker USB3 dongle is a solid pick and they aren't that dear either. Also .. on some laptops only one port is USB3 and the remainder USB2 ... that's another culprit.

/M

Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen1, Anker USB3 dongle, you'd get around this:

8101786582.png

Sometimes as high as 920ish.

Unfortunately I don't get this anymore. Only today, as we're cleaning the old house. Had to move 2 weeks ago due to house being sold by landlord and been struggling on 4G with max 2-3 Mbit/s since (in an Urban environment). Looking forward to get a SIRO business connection tomorrow.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Check if SmartBytes is installed and get rid of of that. Be aware, that it gets re-installed on the next Dell update.

/M

Sadly I don't have SmartByte installed, but I've many many dev. tools and multiple virtual network interfaces and bridges, hyperV, vpn's, docker etc. so it won't be easy finding the culprit..

I'll probably clean down the machine with a fresh install around the Easter period when i have a few days down time, and live with the 4-500mbps for the next few weeks, it's still night and day compared to what i had before airwire.

my other machines are consistently hitting >900 now, the 3 years of stalking Eircom vans and poles has had a nice ending:

8101677475.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement