Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

brianbruff wrote: »
    Sadly I don't have SmartByte installed, but I've many many dev. tools and multiple virtual...

Live boot Ubuntu off a USB. Easy peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

ED E wrote: »

Google idea

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eh gringo!

What A Scam Eir is

I have Eirs FTTH product for the last year and cant fault the product it with speeds never dropping below 147 Mbps.
    However the SCAM is I am coming to the end of my contract which is the 14th of March and they send me a bill of 63 euro.
    My contract was 40 euro for the first 6 and 50 for the final 6.
    So where did they get 63 euro from???????????
    On a chat to them Saturday they tell me even tho my contract is up on the 14th my billing period is from Feb 25th to March 25th and as It goes by my contract on the 14th I dont get any of the deductions,
    And now for the next part is that I cant cancel or get out of my contract until on or after the 14th so meaning only then can I give them 30 day notice which they will charge me 86 euro I think.
    What a shower of scammers they really are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Let us know what response you get from Eir as I'd like to move company as soon as my contract is up and not pay any extra.

The reason your bill is higher this month is because your contract has come to an end on the 14th March and you are billed in advance up until the 25th March. The discounts have now dropped off from the 14th March and you were charged the normal bundle price from the 14th March until 25th March. Your normal bundle price goes up to 81 euros.
    From Eir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Eir is quite clear on their pricing, but people never read it through.

The entire contract period is a discounted price ... at 2 different levels and once your contract period ends, it goes to the full pricing. And their full pricing is not competitive at all.

That is something to keep in mind, when signing up with them. There are other providers, where the price you get is the price you have even after your contract expires.

It is your choice of provider, that put you in this position.

/M

I realise that now but a year ago they were the only choice for the FTTH product in my area

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

ED E wrote: »

Speedtest after usb booting into ubuntu
    8103936352.png

certainly need to reinstall my windows OS over easter now ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whoosh!

Eh gringo! wrote: »
    I realise that now but a year ago they were the only choice for the FTTH product in my area

Erhh .. no .. a year ago, there were at least 8 providers offering FTTH on OpenEIRs platform. And a good few nationwide.

Airwire since November 2017, Digiweb even longer. Westnet since 2016 at least.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 DarkPassenger

Looks like Vodafone have updated their eircode checker database

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Q4 2018 figures are in from the DCCAE. According to the contract the target for Q4 was 42575 to bring the total to 300575. In reality they passed 16174 to bring the total to 225176 making it the worst performing quarter since they began.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

The NBP map has been updated with the passed premises.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Q4 2018 figures are in from the DCCAE. According to the contract the target for Q4 was 42575 to bring the total to 300575. In reality they passed 16174 to bring the total to 225176 making it the worst performing quarter since they began.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

The NBP map has been updated with the passed premises.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx
    The map still shows me as not suitable for connection, despite me being connected last August though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

AidenL wrote: »
    The map still shows me as not suitable for connection, despite me being connected last August though.

You were never part of the 300575 premises agreed with the Department. You are one of the extra 30000 that open eir found were viable when they were building. Premises such as yours won't appear on the map even though they probably should as it just adds more confusion to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

What A Scam Eir is

I have Eirs FTTH product for the last year and cant fault the product it with speeds never dropping below 147 Mbps.
    However the SCAM is I am coming to the end of my contract which is the 14th of March and they send me a bill of 63 euro.
    My contract was 40 euro for the first 6 and 50 for the final 6.
    So where did they get 63 euro from???????????
    On a chat to them Saturday they tell me even tho my contract is up on the 14th my billing period is from Feb 25th to March 25th and as It goes by my contract on the 14th I dont get any of the deductions,
    And now for the next part is that I cant cancel or get out of my contract until on or after the 14th so meaning only then can I give them 30 day notice which they will charge me 86 euro I think.
    What a shower of scammers they really are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suck it up and change providers now before your disappointed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

You were never part of the 300575 premises agreed with the Department. You are one of the extra 30000 that open eir found were viable when they were building. Premises such as yours won't appear on the map even though they probably should as it just adds more confusion to people.

Yep, good memory. You would think they would update the map though. Admittedly, when I enter my number in Eirs phone checker, I’m not shown as available either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Suck it up and change providers now before your disappointed again.

I’m in the very same predicament here,Recommend any particular provider? Wanna keep ftth anyway but cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I’m in the very same predicament here,Recommend any particular provider? Wanna keep ftth anyway but cheap

Airwire.

I've never used them as i'm not lucky to have FTTH yet but from what I see in this thread and dealing with Aiwire via PM they are brilliant

Yeah, Airwire at €49 a month for 150mb broadband only. Free to switch to when you sign a 12 month contract and then you just continue to pay the same price even when the contract is up.

Speaking of providers, I was just made aware of these guys
    Do you want cheap monthly FTTH that you will never use?
    €35 80GB limit, 18 month contract. Oh and €200 install and €65 for connection!

https://www.lightnet.ie/fibre-to-the-home-broadband/

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

tuxy wrote: »
    Yeah, Airwire at €49 a month for 150mb broadband only. Free to switch to when you sign a 12 month contract and then you just continue to pay the same price even when the contract is up.

18 months contract for the free switch. 12 months contract gives you only the router for free. And you own the router, we supply. We never want it back.

But otherwise correct, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Costs €99 to switch unless going for 18 month contract as I read this ...
    Provider move / Existing fibre line
    6 months €99.00 From €95.00
    12 months €99.00 Free router
    18 months Free Free router
    http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/ruralftth

Digiweb is the other company that I hear good reports on.
    €54.95/month 150mb 12 months contract. Currently there is a promotion where install is only €49.95 but I'm not sure if the same price applies to a switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I've met a couple of people who've been told they have to get a phone line in to get an ard key to get a fibre line in.
    A new build with an eircode that's not up on the eircode database yet and they said the provider should have no problem getting them fibre but first they need to get a phone line with ADSL in.
    This sounds like a spoof by sales just to get someone to sign up and end up with a 1meg connection with no possibility of getting indexed for ftth.
    Is there any truth to ard keys being needed for ftth?

You need an ard key associated to the eircode ... correct .. but you don't need a phoneline to create an ard-key for a premise. At all.

It's either sales guys spoofing or in some cases people with old backwards thinking, that can't get their head around the system.

There are some extreme cases, where you can't get OpenEIR to issue an ard-key, because it's a new build house and there is no infrastructure in place. But even doing that won't necessarily get you FTTC or FTTH enabled. Because it will be a USO line, that gets installed. Could even be wireless/gsm. And then you got nowhere.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

babi-hrse wrote: »
    I've met a couple of people who've been told they have to get a phone line in to get an ard key to get a fibre line in.
    A new build with an eircode that's not up on the eircode database yet and they said the provider should have no problem getting them fibre but first they need to get a phone line with ADSL in.
    This sounds like a spoof by sales just to get someone to sign up and end up with a 1meg connection with no possibility of getting indexed for ftth.

Been going on a long time - dunno if it's just ignorance or sales people trying to get the sale if the FTTH is fecked before it even begins (I suspect the latter)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Marlow wrote: »
    There are some extreme cases, where you can't get OpenEIR to issue an ard-key, because it's a new build house and there is no infrastructure in place.
    /M

That's more a case of its up to the developer to let them know there is 100 houses here, can you build the paths for the area for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aymzter

Airwire any good, tuxy ?

Digiweb is the other company that I hear good reports on.
    €54.95/month 150mb 12 months contract. Currently there is a promotion where install is only €49.95 but I'm not sure if the same price applies to a switch.

Can only get satellite broadband with Digiweb... unfortunately :(

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »

Sorry to sound thick (!?!) whats an ARD key !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement