Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just got my order eir confirmation. It’s saying one off charges €99.00. :/ installation is supposed to be free right?
    Someone was saying they are charging €99 installation from today

Posted here a few days ago = https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106843051

Marlow wrote: »
    So, I tried to find the broadband only pricing for FTTH on Eirs website .. just for sh!t and giggles ... you can't !!!!

Only the bundles.

This from their website (rev. 22/01/18) - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb - €55
    eir Fibre Extreme 300Mb - €63
    eir Fibre Extreme 1000Mb - €75

Standard Connection charge - €250

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

So, I tried to find the broadband only pricing for FTTH on Eirs website .. just for sh!t and giggles ... you can't !!!!

Only the bundles.

Went on a chat and got the following info.

So the 150 Mbit/s package with Eir for standalone FTTH is 58 EUR/month.

Installation is 250 EUR, but a discount can be got on the 150 Mbit/s package, so that it's 99.99 EUR instead.

Mjaeh ....

Then bundles have a cheaper introduction pricing, but they really must be counting on people paying the 81 EUR/month later on.

/M

I think I got a pretty good deal, €65 for 12 months for 1Gb/s and free BT sports and all Ireland/UK calls to landlines and mobiles included. This is a 1 year contract and install was free as I got it installed before the prices went up.

After the 12 months are up both Sky and Vodafone will be on the network and the choice will be much greater so I suspect competition pricing will be even better. With SIROs move recently to promote their 1Gb/s service for the price of their 150Mb/s I also think there is a possibility that we could even see just 1 speed tear of 1Gb/s by the time my contract is up.

So far I've not had any issues at all, service has been perfect, getting the 1Gb/s speeds when I'm connected via Ethernet cable to the modem or my own router.

Installation went perfect, no fibre cable visible and not one hole drilled, KN guys were great to deal with.

edit to say, even my first bill is spot on. It's complicated with how they handle promotions and install charges but all correct none the less.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Cush wrote: »

I was looking for that. Funny how their sales staff even quotes pricing, that's plain wrong.

/M

• Advertisement

I was looking for that. Funny how their sales staff even quotes pricing, that's plain wrong.

It's possible there's been a price increase since that publication but not been notified as required by Comreg's Code for Tariff Presentation.

The Cush wrote: »
    It's possible there's been a price increase since that publication but not been notified as required by Comreg's Code for Tariff Presentation.

Yes, it seems that PDF isn't updated. The charges for going over the FUP are still the old ones, even though it has been changed on the Eir website: https://www.eir.ie/support/broadband/broadband-usage-allowance/

Website says: "Usage in excess of 1TB will be charged at €50 inc VAT for every 10GB up to a maximum of €100 inc VAT per month."

PDF says: "Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 (inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100 (inc. VAT) per month."

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

digiman wrote: »
    I think I got a pretty good deal, €65 for 12 months for 1Gb/s and free BT sports and all Ireland/UK calls to landlines and mobiles included. This is a 1 year contract and install was free as I got it installed before the prices went up.

After the 12 months are up both Sky and Vodafone will be on the network and the choice will be much greater so I suspect competition pricing will be even better. With SIROs move recently to promote their 1Gb/s service for the price of their 150Mb/s I also think there is a possibility that we could even see just 1 speed tear of 1Gb/s by the time my contract is up.

So far I've not had any issues at all, service has been perfect, getting the 1Gb/s speeds when I'm connected via Ethernet cable to the modem or my own router.

Installation went perfect, no fibre cable visible and not one hole drilled, KN guys were great to deal with.

edit to say, even my first bill is spot on. It's complicated with how they handle promotions and install charges but all correct none the less.

How did they accommodate your existing fibre cabling? Were there any arguments involved?

It did take a bit of convincing but when he seen I knew what I was taking about and had already sourced couplers/adapters he went and got go ahead to do it. Internal cabling would obviously be my issue if there was a fault but was more than happy to agree to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I see coils of white cable being fed into ducts this week.

What would that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

Hey guys got installed yesterday 300mb package. Went very well and enjoying the dramatically increased speeds.. One small issue I'm noticing is that while I'm in the same room as the router I'm getting 240mbps on WiFi on 5 ghz band but only 45mbps on 2.4 ghz band, is this normal? Also as I move away from the router the WiFi speeds drops dramatically (to about 10mps other side of house) .. I have tried using Tp link wifi extenders but its only picking up the 2.4ghz band.. Is there something that I can do about that??

AidenL wrote: »
    I see coils of white cable being fed into ducts this week.

What would that be?

It is most likely the white ducting that they use to blow the fibre through using compressed air.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

It is most likely the white ducting that they use to blow the fibre through using compressed air.

More progress then, all good !

opengoal wrote: »
    Hey guys got installed yesterday 300mb package. Went very well and enjoying the dramatically increased speeds.. One small issue I'm noticing is that while I'm in the same room as the router I'm getting 240mbps on WiFi on 5 ghz band but only 45mbps on 2.4 ghz band, is this normal? Also as I move away from the router the WiFi speeds drops dramatically (to about 10mps other side of house)

Eir retail ? That's normal. Their router is rubbish.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

/M

Yep.. Was afraid that might be the case, can I swap it out for a different router??

opengoal wrote: »
    Hey guys got installed yesterday 300mb package. Went very well and enjoying the dramatically increased speeds.. One small issue I'm noticing is that while I'm in the same room as the router I'm getting 240mbps on WiFi on 5 ghz band but only 45mbps on 2.4 ghz band, is this normal? Also as I move away from the router the WiFi speeds drops dramatically (to about 10mps other side of house) .. I have tried using Tp link wifi extenders but its only picking up the 2.4ghz band.. Is there something that I can do about that??

I guess it depends on the device you are testing on. I have the 300Mb package as well and max out at 130Mb on 5Ghz and 90Mb on 2.4Ghz. The 5Ghz coverage is terrible though, unless your walls are made of cardboard I would not expect to use it very far from the router.

Other people may have more advice for you about extending your coverage using powerline, I've never used them so can't comment.

/M

I think this is something of a fallacy. I have the device several months now and it has not missed a beat. People's expectations of high speed whole house WiFi coverage using one device are unrealistic.

I think this is something of a fallacy. I have the device several months now and it has not missed a beat. People's expectations of high speed whole house WiFi coverage using one device are unrealistic.

It's the every day reality, that providers have to deal with though.

Either way, for somebody who understands the limitations, it's just fine. For others, you have to provide better gear and more advanced solutions.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Yes, I have to agree re expectations. I have no experience of said router, but I do know networks and WiFi. People expect an ISP provided (cheap) single device to cover a whole house, well.

We are starting to enter the era of "whole home WiFi", where Google, Ubiquiti, etc are providing smart home WiFi networks that are self-optimising and use multiple smart devices that come together seamlessly to form.......

* a home network * (dun dun dun).

Joe public needs to adjust expectations (as super fast broadband arrives). You have 10-20 wifi devices in an average home now, plus more on ZigBee, etc. Homes need networks internally - they need a LAN. The ISP provides WAN.

60GHz WiFi is the next thing coming and that will not penetrate walls well at all. It'll be one (truly) multi-gigabit 60GHz pico AP in each main room, with 5GHz and 2.4GHz taking up mini and macro duties (the hallways, garden, etc), with lesser service.

Expecting an ISP router to provide flawless service throughput the gaff is like getting an ESB line into the hall with an extension lead. If you want it flawless, the future is a decent private LAN in the home, with this years' ISP feeding it at the router (like your ESB meter).

Most will get away with the ISP router for casual use but things are changing. But tech is getting easier and easier to use, which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Gotta remember
    5Ghz faster speeds closer to the device but worse penetration than
    2.4Ghz which gives better coverage but at the expense of speed

Add into that wall types, fixtures and fittings etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Eir are now saying it'll be September before they get round to installing the pole on our private land next to our lovely new duct. We laid ducting to the exact spot they asked us to. This is soul destroying.
    Is this down to KN not having capacity to install poles as quickly as their needed. Can someone tell me if there's any point in trying an alternate provider?

Can someone tell me if there's any point in trying an alternate provider?

Not really. Same procedure. An alternative provider may be more persistant, but it's not sure, that it's going to progress faster.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Eir are now saying it'll be September before they get round to installing the pole on our private land next to our lovely new duct. We laid ducting to the exact spot they asked us to. This is soul destroying.
    Is this down to KN not having capacity to install poles as quickly as their needed. Can someone tell me if there's any point in trying an alternate provider?

Sounds like more than just a pole being installed - on private land that usually gets done in a week or two.
    But getting the cable to it is another story - civils, licencing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Her parents house is at the roadside and has a cable drop directly from pole with a DP on it although their current service is eFibre. Their house is directly in front of ours. Might see if we can get them on FTTH and use a Ubiquiti AirMax bridge to send it down the garden.

Pole would be on private land. There's an Eir pole with DP on it directly across the road and plenty of cables spanning the road at various points so it really doesn't look like it should be a problem.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Yes, I have to agree re expectations. I have no experience of said router, but I do know networks and WiFi. People expect an ISP provided (cheap) single device to cover a whole house, well.

Hoo yeah. I've seen examples of "you told me I'd get 150M, and as far as I'm concerned that means 150M on every single device in every single room of my sprawling house, including the garden shed."

I've been ranting for years about how (almost) nobody was putting even rudimentary structured cabling into new-build houses. Why not? Because wireless is the future, innit.

It'd wreck your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Those little black boxes appeared on the poles on my road yesterday.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    9726_9726 wrote: »

Hoo yeah. I've seen examples of "you told me I'd get 150M, and as far as I'm concerned that means 150M on every single device in every single room of my sprawling house, including the garden shed."

I've been ranting for years about how (almost) nobody was putting even rudimentary structured cabling into new-build houses. Why not? Because wireless is the future, innit.

It'd wreck your head.

I feel very lucky that my builder had the foresight to put cat5e, cable coax and 2 satellite coax cables to every single room along with running 2 fibre cables from the external etu to a central point where everything can be easily connected together. In saying that I did see it as a selling point that all this had been done when buying the house and comparing it to others. My wife may not have had the same feelings though! She loved the house for other reasons thankfully 😀

Building regulations need to be urgently updated to make this mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Great News!
    Fibre to the Home is available at.....

eir Advanced Broadband unlimited up to 24Mb ... Something up there right ? .... I see a connection fee of 99 euro as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

oscarBravo wrote: »

It'd wreck your head.

Had told my brother in law - who btw is a Architect level programmer in Dublin to run cat6 cable throughout his house when renovating/rebuilding it - he told me I was crazy and surely wireless was good enough. LOL! I convinced my sister who hasn't got much of a clue about computers to do it though - not sure I got any thanks for the advice though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Does anyone know if the onboard VOIP capability of the Eir F2000 router can be used with third party services like goldfish?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement