Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

aymzter wrote: »
    Airwire any good, tuxy ?

I'm not with them as I was stupid enough to sign a contract with Eir before I had even heard of airwire. They get many glowing reports on here. I've never heard a single bad word about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can only get satellite broadband with Digiweb... unfortunately :(

Says who? I'm not sure you are looking in the right place, if you can currently get FTTH then Digiweb can supply it, or Airwire or a multitude of other companies if they service your area for the support part - some only operate within their own geographic area but no reason they cannot resell it anywhere in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aymzter

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm not with them as I was stupid enough to sign a contract with Eir before I had even heard of airwire. They get many glowing reports on here. I've never heard a single bad word about them.

Cheers tuxy - have been in touch with them & looks like they may be best option for me....

fritzelly wrote: »
    Says who? I'm not sure you are looking in the right place, if you can currently get FTTH then Digiweb can supply it, or Airwire or a multitude of other companies if they service your area for the support part - some only operate within their own geographic area but no reason they cannot resell it anywhere in the country

Says digiweb....

Sorry to sound thick (!?!) whats an ARD key !

Every property has an ARD key (address key from pre eircode times) - its just a number to identify every property in OE's DB, for linking to exchanges, cabs etc

• Advertisement

Says digiweb....

You can definitely get FTTH? If so get back on to them.

Says digiweb....

Does it show as available if you put your eircode in here?
    https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail
    Airwires list are kept up to date so if you're not on there then you have a bigger problem that may need to be sorted by open eir. Airwire may be able to talk to open eir on your behalf if these has been a mistake made when listing your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Says digiweb....

I thought Digiweb were nationwide on open eir. Maybe they are not. What does this say if you enter your Eircode?

https://digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/

According to all the searches, I can’t get FTTH (despite being 100m from cabinet) but can only get FTTC... up to 25MB

No idea why (?) was hoping some of you guys who know so much more than me could help explain why (or not) ?

Every property has an ARD key (address key from pre eircode times) - its just a number to identify every property in OE's DB, for linking to exchanges, cabs etc

Thanks fritzelly...how do I find my ARD key (sorry to sound thick ! Moving to Kinsale from Belfast and still trying to get up to speed...please bear with me !)

Any help Very gratefully received :)

• Advertisement

According to all the searches, I can’t get FTTH (despite being 100m from cabinet) but can only get FTTC... up to 25MB

No idea why (?) was hoping some of you guys who know so much more than me could help explain why (or not) ?

Sounds like you are in an urban area. The majority of open eir FTTH is in rural areas on the outskirts of towns and villages.

Ah yes I remember now, you're in Kinsale town which currently has no FTTH. Even though there is a cabinet 100m away that may not be the one your house is connected to unfortunately.

Edit: actually if it says up to 25mb that could mean you are connected to an exchange that only has ADSL2+ but I would be surprised if that was the case in Kinsale.

FTTH needs connection to an exchange (some exchanges can be cabinets but different from what you are talking about)
    Digiweb still do FTTC do they not?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would have switched to Digiweb long ago as they have a good price and great modem, but their 1TB data limit is a total deal breaker. It was bad having this limit in 2017, here we are in 2019 and the same limit is still there.

Ah yes I remember now, you're in Kinsale town which currently has no FTTH. Even though there is a cabinet 100m away that may not be the one your house is connected to unfortunately.

Edit: actually if it says up to 25mb that could mean you are connected to an exchange that only has ADSL2+ but I would be surprised if that was the case in Kinsale.

Shoulda recognised the name, that line could be going all round the streets before it hits the cab, might not even be connected to that cab but another further away - 25mb is not the worst in the world, plenty enough for most things.
    See what the eir rep says about the address.

Does it show as available if you put your eircode in here?
    https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail
    Airwires list are kept up to date so if you're not on there then you have a bigger problem that may need to be sorted by open eir. Airwire may be able to talk to open eir on your behalf if these has been a mistake made when listing your house.
    No, Airwire shows VDSL available, not FTTH...I was just wondering why not FTTH, given proximity to cabinet (but I don’t even know if distance is a factor !) im hoping you guys can advise cos I (really !) have no idea....

My head is pickled :(

No, Airwire shows VDSL available, not FTTH...I was just wondering why not FTTH, given proximity to cabinet (but I don’t even know if distance is a factor !) im hoping you guys can advise cos I (really !) have no idea....

Then VDSL is all you can get unfortunately - you cannot get a line moved period

I thought Digiweb were nationwide on open eir. Maybe they are not. What does this say if you enter your Eircode?

https://digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/
    Thabks for your reply, Navi...

It says “satellite broadband, up to 20MB”

Even though I’m in a “blue area” according to NBP

Doesn't necessarily mean you can get FTTC tho, many areas where old lines exist to the exchange

Sounds like you are in an urban area. The majority of open eir FTTH is in rural areas on the outskirts of towns and villages.

Yeah - in urban area, Kinsale town...

But yet neighbours just 100m from me are getting FTTH

It’s all very disjointed - no ?

• Advertisement

Yes no FTTH at all in Kinsale, no predicated date on it being installed in that town either.
    If you are that close to the cabinet and can order VDSL from Airwire it should be a good service. If I was you I'd give them a call tomorrow.

FTTH or FTTC? Getting confused

Thanks tuxy - any idea how I find out which exchange I’m connected to ?

Moving from Belfast & this is all new to me, so sorry for daft questions (!)

They don't have FTTH they have FTTC that some providers call fiber even though it's copper to the home. Some of the less scrupulous companies(Eir) like to confuse things.

FTTH needs connection to an exchange (some exchanges can be cabinets but different from what you are talking about)

Not for my address, unfortunately :(

Thabks for your reply, Navi...

It says “satellite broadband, up to 20MB”

You need to find out if your new premises has a phone line installed. If it has you should be able to order FTTC (VDSL) on it. If it doesn't you should be able to order a new phone line in order to get FTTC. In both instances the speed available will depend on the length of the line to the exchange or cabinet.

You'll have to forget about FTTH for now I'm afraid.

Thanks tuxy - any idea how I find out which exchange I’m connected to ?

Moving from Belfast & this is all new to me, so sorry for daft questions (!)

You should be connected to that cabinet near you which is the important thing as a fast fibre line will go from the exchange to that cab. There usually is no way to know for sure what speed you will get until a line is live but airwire may be able to give you a prediction on speed.

Not for my address, unfortunately - although it could be that my Eircode not currently on OpenEir / Eir database (!). Still working on that too....

You should be connected to that cabinet near you which is the important thing as a fast fibre line will go from the exchange to that cab. There usually is no way to know for sure what speed you will get until a line is live but airwire may be able to give you a prediction on speed.

Thanks (again !) tuxy - I have Airwire on the case &, like you, they have said that they should be able to get me better speeds that 24MB (!)

• Advertisement

Not for my address, unfortunately - although it could be that my Eircode not currently on OpenEir / Eir database (!). Still working on that too....

You don't need to work on anything. Just contact an isp and let them sort it out.
    open eir owns the network and all providers contact them, it's not expected for a customer to have to contact them.

eir is also a provider but they do not get preference even on the open eir network, it's a completely seperate division of the company. They are best avoided as they have very poor customer service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement