Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

aymzter wrote: »
    Thanks (again !) tuxy - I have Airwire on the case &, like you, they have said that they should be able to get me better speeds that 24MB (!)

No probs! Unless you are very unlucky I'd be surprised if you get anything less than 50 mbit with the cabinet so close and may even get well above 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aymzter

fritzelly wrote: »
    FTTH needs connection to an exchange (some exchanges can be cabinets but different from what you are talking about)
    Digiweb still do FTTC do they not?

Digiweb can only offer me Satellite broadband...up to 24MB :(

If you were talking to a sales person I think they may have made a mistake as digiweb also provide VDSL over the open eir network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It's quite confusing because you are dealing with two different systems.

1) FTTH - Indexed and checked by Eircode. If your Eircode says available on Airwire or eir for example you should be able to order.

2) FTTC (VDSL) - Indexed and checked by phone number. Address checking is not as reliable for FTTC as the distance to the exchange/cabinet is so important for the speed you'll receive and lines don't always take the most direct route. Really a line test is the only reliable indicator

That's why it is so important to find out if the house has a line. A competent ISP such as Airwire should be able to do all this for you.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Hi,

our availability check ... when it comes to VDSL / FTTC .. checks how near you are to the cabinets in your area, based on your eircode. If you are within 500m of a cabinet, chances are extremely good, that we can get you connected with something pretty decent.

A lot of premises are not indexed properly.

There is the odd time, that your premise is either connected to a cabinet further away .. which would affect the speed you can get .. or directly to an exchange .. same story ... or it is connected to a cabinet, that is not launched yet and we can't get VDSL for you (which is rare .. but can happen).

Either way ... this is stuff, we individually can look up, when you contact us and make a commitment to order.

And while we do take a deposit, when you order .. we do refund that .. fully .. if we can not deliver.

Either way, you don't have to do anything. We look after getting the line installed etc. It just can take some time ... all depending on what OpenEIRs infrastructure is like in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

My understanding of an ard key is all the information of service to a premises what copper dp is likely serving premises what pairs are in it and what cab it's going to along with exchange it must therefore be hooked up to and what service can be expected.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    My understanding of an ard key is all the information of service to a premises what copper dp is likely serving premises what pairs are in it and what cab it's going to along with exchange it must therefore be hooked up to and what service can be expected.

An ard-key is OpenEIRs way to index a premise. Even the eircodes used for FTTH match back to ard-keys.

This is unavoidable, because how would you index premises, that don't have an ard-key yet ?

Also, sometimes there are multiple premises within an eircode. Each of those may have seperate ard-keys.

Nothing wrong with that. SIRO does something similar. They just call them premise id.

Either way .. you do not need to order a phone line to get an ard key. Your provider will generate this for you, if needed. Most premises have one already anyhow. Just a matter to find it. And this can only be done by an OpenEIR partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And sometimes finding that ard key can be a mammoth job in itself, how was it entered, what to search for...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »
    And sometimes finding that ard key can be a mammoth job in itself, how was it entered, what to search for...

yes ... especially, when it is a non-descript rural address and depending on how much backend access you have (UG, address-list, plain-text search, knowledge about names of previous tenants and phone numbers etc.)

/M

Yes it can be difficult at the pheriphicy of two intersecting exchange areas a lonely house down a boreen with no proper address given just the name of a entire district which can be 5km wide and with the words the occupant comes out no path details no cab code all you get is a line interface in an exchange. In those cases finding a working number anywhere close by will tell you alot of information. You can't do anything until you find a working number usually these jobs can be a bust before they've even began so you must find a working number to find out where the house will be coming through.
    You could find a number coming from the wrong exchange in ug you cannot change this on the fly and it needs to be sent back to get a new li provisioned unless it's a P order
    It could be a phone line and VDSL order from a cab that's near the general area then you find out it's a direct dp going 4km to exchange.
    Usually new builds in unknowns come out as a phone line only so the providers can see how it was built and where it ran through to see what they can put on it.

• Advertisement

Usually new builds in unknowns come out as a phone line only so the providers can see how it was built and where it ran through to see what they can put on it.

That's no good though, when it goes into the system as USO. You don't even get a build code then.

/M

I had an order out like that non descript for a line it had path details. The place was a new community center brand new no joint boxes no poles nothing in the plant room or risers and yet a full path given. Looked up the cable records of dp given to get an idea where it might be. It said next to old windmill. (There wasn't a windmill in sight, or any business or pub that could have possibly bore that name) records could have been 30 years old.

What's a uso

What's a uso

Universal Service Obligation. It's the lines that OpenEIR HAVE to supply .. because they are the ex-incumbent. No matter how far out arse-wise you are. Only applies to phone service. No requirement for broadband. Because the government never made that part of the contract, when selling of Telecom Eireann.

They get tagged differently than normal lines.

/M

Alot of phone line only orders come out then after its built you input the path details
    Usually 2 days later the job comes back out again to jump broadband onto path created.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Alot of phone line only orders come out then after its built you input the path details
    Usually 2 days later the job comes back out again to jump broadband onto path created.

Until the line is in place for dsl thats how it works, for ftth not how it works
    New dsl lines take 5 days for prequal for BB

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

I've a two different friends that were given wireless phone connections as there was no pole duct infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

This is sounding more like the tech made a mistake and completed job instead of putting it down as a no light ftth install.
    Now it comes out as a fault. They may rush to fix the dp as there is somebody with a completed install in error that is without service their paying for.

Just to update, the FTTH got switched on / line enabled yesterday afternoon. Amazingly no call out via the technician was needed :rolleyes:

Getting about 50MB Up + Down when I do the Speedtest from the mobile phone on the 2.4G wifi connection.
    Have a work laptop connected to the 5G Wifi connection and it got a 75MB Down + 28MB Up.
    The wife is gobsmacked by how clear the phone is on the VOIP as compared to the crackly copper lines!

A lot better than the 2MB Down and prob 0.3MB Up that I was previously getting.

As an FYI....I bumped into the KN engineer last night who did the install and quizzed him on why he left the install when it effectively wasnt actually completed.
    He said up until lately, they were not allowed to complete an install if there was no signal on the fibre line that the connection was been made to BUT that has since changed where they have since been told to go ahead and complete the install's regardless!
    Its a bit of a "Consumer Beware" situation to ensure that if upgrading from the old copper lines to fibre to "actually" ensure that the fibre line is active and ready for connections before buying. From what I have read here AirWire could be good contacts to determine this.....dont trust the Eir Rep who arrives at your door and guarantees you that it is active!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Make sure your payment period starts as of yesterday and not before. :(

I get around 130 Mbps on 5 Ghz wireless, but that's not using the F2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aymzter

Hi,

our availability check ... when it comes to VDSL / FTTC .. checks how near you are to the cabinets in your area, based on your eircode. If you are within 500m of a cabinet, chances are extremely good, that we can get you connected with something pretty decent.

A lot of premises are not indexed properly.

There is the odd time, that your premise is either connected to a cabinet further away .. which would affect the speed you can get .. or directly to an exchange .. same story ... or it is connected to a cabinet, that is not launched yet and we can't get VDSL for you (which is rare .. but can happen).

Either way ... this is stuff, we individually can look up, when you contact us and make a commitment to order.

And while we do take a deposit, when you order .. we do refund that .. fully .. if we can not deliver.

Either way, you don't have to do anything. We look after getting the line installed etc. It just can take some time ... all depending on what OpenEIRs infrastructure is like in the area.
    Thabks Martin - have been in touch with yourselves & places an order. Fingers crossed you can help us get connected. I shall report back ;)

• Advertisement

Thabks Martin - have been in touch with yourselves & places an order. Fingers crossed you can help us get connected. I shall report back ;)

I just dropped you a PM, as I couldn't get hold of you. No problem getting you a connection though. OpenEIR have you on a different street name than eircode.ie and that's where that one goes amiss. It's a simple fix.

I just dropped you a PM, as I couldn't get hold of you. No problem getting you a connection though. OpenEIR have you on a different street name than eircode.ie and that's where that one goes amiss. It's a simple fix.

See, that's exactly the kind of situation that could have Eir retail division confused for many months!

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

cnocbui wrote: »
    Make sure your payment period starts as of yesterday and not before. :(

I get around 130 Mbps on 5 Ghz wireless, but that's not using the F2000.

Will be keeping a close eye on the billing commencement date to make sure it starts from the date that service was actually provided.

What router are you using? My speeds were via the F2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

t0arjGH.jpg

Three weeks, one pole.

They didnt like the idea of cutting through concrete and unfortunatly I wasnt there to prusuade them otherwise. Either way, it could be worse.

tuxy wrote: »
    See, that's exactly the kind of situation that could have Eir retail division confused for many months!

That is the kind of situation that has many of the main providers amiss one road brand new houses with the exact same name as the one running adjacent to it kept orders coming out for VDSL when there was no cables in the ground I suspect because the other road with same name had cables in the ground.
    even the kids on the block started to know us as the internet man. Are you here to put the internet in now.
    No cables were put in the ground and three calls to same house. The provider would simply cancel their order and start a new one with the same crap. The smaller providers generally have their stuff together and actually do a bit of exploring whereas the big providers tend to have a person who won't get the same order back on their desk to even know there was something wrong with it. Too many people = too hard to have anyone accountable.

Will be keeping a close eye on the billing commencement date to make sure it starts from the date that service was actually provided.

What router are you using? My speeds were via the F2000.

It's a TP-Link AC1750. The F2000 is behind it via ethernet to provide the phone port for VOIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

18 months contract for the free switch. 12 months contract gives you only the router for free. And you own the router, we supply. We never want it back.

But otherwise correct, yes.

I shall talk to you in July when my contract is up

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wally82

Hi All,
    Can anyone advise on a rough timescale from Fibre and DP arriving on the pole to when the service goes live and orders can be placed? I have Fibre and a DP on the pole outside my house for about 2 weeks now but the rural rollout checker and map still gives the "sometime in the first half of 2019" timescale for my eircode. KN and Diffusion seem to be finished in the area as I haven't seen the same volume of vans around in the last week, so I guess they have finished the build work.

Also, when it comes to the install (whenever that will be), can an extension lead be used as the power source for the ONT and Router? The external wall where the fibre is most likely to come in has no power sockets and the nearest are on the opposite wall (approx 3-4m wide room). I do have 5m SC patch leads but I'm guessing they won't use leads that they don't supply.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything up to date on the power question.

• Advertisement

About four months in my case. I think there was a problem with a blocked duct down in the village.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement