Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Wally82 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Can anyone advise on a rough timescale from Fibre and DP arriving on the pole to when the service goes live and orders can be placed? I have Fibre and a DP on the pole outside my house for about 2 weeks now but the rural rollout checker and map still gives the "sometime in the first half of 2019" timescale for my eircode. KN and Diffusion seem to be finished in the area as I haven't seen the same volume of vans around in the last week, so I guess they have finished the build work.

Also, when it comes to the install (whenever that will be), can an extension lead be used as the power source for the ONT and Router? The external wall where the fibre is most likely to come in has no power sockets and the nearest are on the opposite wall (approx 3-4m wide room). I do have 5m SC patch leads but I'm guessing they won't use leads that they don't supply.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything up to date on the power question.

Took approx 8 weeks in my area, but my area was down for completion in the second half of 2018. The van's and workers went quiet about mid-Jan, gone by. I tried to find out from my existing supplier at the time if FTTH was now available and wasnt get an answer from them. A couple of weeks ago, the EIR Rep called doing his door to door sales for the line!

I think if you go to the airwire website, you can enter your eircode and that will tell you what you can and cannot get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Storm Gareth broke the bracket that was keeping my fibre cable to the gable, its hanging quite low now and I think some of the line is opened up. If it would stop raining for five minutes I might be able to see the damage! Anyways does anyone know if Eir would send someone out to fix it even though the broadband itself doesn't have a fault? My worst fear is that they would have to do a full reinstallation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If it's likely to cause an H&S issue then contact them else leave it til the next storm takes it off completely

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Pangea wrote: »
    Storm Gareth broke the bracket that was keeping my fibre cable to the gable, its hanging quite low now and I think some of the line is opened up. If it would stop raining for five minutes I might be able to see the damage! Anyways does anyone know if Eir would send someone out to fix it even though the broadband itself doesn't have a fault? My worst fear is that they would have to do a full reinstallation.

It shouldn't the issue is now the new fibre is so strong that it doesn't break but will take everything else out. You can remount it the line will be fine. The weakest point of the fibre line is the ends one inside the dp and the other inside your wall to fibre socket odp/ntu

I've heard rumblings from oe that they're looking for a new fibre cable because this one is too strong. Trucks catching it have been pulling brackets off poles and taking several lines out.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

babi-hrse wrote: »
    I've heard rumblings from oe that they're looking for a new fibre cable because this one is too strong. Trucks catching it have been pulling brackets off poles and taking several lines out.

If a truck catches an overhead fibre, the fibre wasn't installed high enough.

• Advertisement

The brackets on the new installations if you had one done in the last 4-5 months are easy enough to readjust
    You need two hands and a flathead screwdriver.
    Grab the line behind the bracket and pull hard.
    With a flathead insert into the flange webbing and use to leverage the top slide lock backwards the line should then free up and start following your pulling hand.
    When you've pulled as much as you deem is tight grab the slide lock back to the position where the line is coming from as hard as you can. Then pull on it with both hands with as much weight as you can extert. This will grip it firmly in place.
    No removing the line to adjust.

oscarBravo wrote: »

Yep that's my view. Don't blame the cable for being strong blame the person who put it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

oscarBravo wrote: »

Or a hurricane just passed through. That's what happened with my phone line. I ended up phoning it in and then figured the milk tanker that goes up and down the road daily was going to hit it before anyone came out due to nationwide outages so went up the pole on my land and took slack out of the cable and fixed it higher as a temporary measure.

Sure enough, milk tanker came along before an Eir crew did.

It shouldn't the issue is now the new fibre is so strong that it doesn't break but will take everything else out. You can remount it the line will be fine. The weakest point of the fibre line is the ends one inside the dp and the other inside your wall to fibre socket odp/ntu

I am not surprised. I have an off-cut of my cable and it comprises a whole lot of Kevlar, a good bit of Dyneema, which is even stronger than Kevlar, and a itsy bitsy tiny little strand of glass, that is the actual fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

I think if you go to the airwire website, you can enter your eircode and that will tell you what you can and cannot get.

Is there anyway to actually check if the DP/fibre is live...FTTH actually available & ready? Airwire & all the sales website say yes it is available, but has been like that since 6th February & DP only got fully attached yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

90642 FTTH connections at the end of Q4 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, open eir and SIRO being the largest. As with Q3 it seems the SIRO promotion is leading to increased take up.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q4-2018/

We've also overtaken Croatia and Germany in the latest FTTH Council rankings!

ftth_european_country_ranking_2019_uk.png

I probably need to take a more careful look, but as far as I have been able to see while driving, I might be the only subscriber on my road - looking for houses with two lines running to them overhead. Very poor takeup.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I probably need to take a more careful look, but as far as I have been able to see while driving, I might be the only subscriber on my road - looking for houses with two lines running to them overhead. Very poor takeup.

There could be fibre coming down the pole into a duct going into a house. It's easier to count the blue ecam inserts. Usually two from the overhead network go in and out then the ones up front are individual lines.

myate wrote: »
    Is there anyway to actually check if the DP/fibre is live...FTTH actually available & ready? Airwire & all the sales website say yes it is available, but has been like that since 6th February & DP only got fully attached yesterday!

An openeir van or a kn van with time on their hands and a light meter.
    There really isn't any real way of knowing unless someone takes an order and someone comes to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Suck it up and change providers now before your disappointed again.

Can anybody tell me eir's policy/practice about eircom.net email addresses when an eir customer changes to a different broadband supplier?

I am put off changing supplier because of the hassle that would be involved in changing over to new e-mail addresses on a new server. If I change from eir, can I keep my eircom.net addresses permanently or does eir close the account at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The email has been seperate since conception, nothing to do with any other services, friend has had one for 20 odd years and hasn't used eir for anything else in at least 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you're using a mail client then you will need to use a different outgoing mail server, correct?
    I think that's the only issue some people have when switching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

90642 FTTH connections at the end of Q4 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, open eir and SIRO being the largest. As with Q3 it seems the SIRO promotion is leading to increased take up.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q4-2018/

We've also overtaken Croatia and Germany in the latest FTTH Council rankings!

ftth_european_country_ranking_2019_uk.png

Considering what has been rolled out by openeir and Siro, take up is pretty low really.

tototoe wrote: »
    Considering what has been rolled out by openeir and Siro, take up is pretty low really.

Take-up is probably sub 30% overall but it is still very much an emerging market. It has only been two years that there has been somewhat widespread availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Starting to lose hope of an installation in any reasonable time, 2 weeks since the KN fella was out (was told 2-3 weeks roughly in this thread for a repeat call out so I'm probably quite early with my dread). The prospect of it taking months when it's already so tantalisingly physically close is terrible. The difference it has made to the pub alone is huge, video calling over 4G here has a latency of about 3-4 seconds but over fibre it's under half a second.

• Advertisement

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Starting to lose hope of an installation in any reasonable time, 2 weeks since the KN fella was out (was told 2-3 weeks roughly in this thread for a repeat call out so I'm probably quite early with my dread). The prospect of it taking months when it's already so tantalisingly physically close is terrible. The difference it has made to the pub alone is huge, video calling over 4G here has a latency of about 3-4 seconds but over fibre it's under half a second.

What was it failed for. Usually it can come out much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Looks like Open Eir is slowing down:

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

Only 5.4% passed in Q4 2018. They will have to have a bumper Q1 2019 to meet their obligations. You cannot always blame the weather.

Lets see how strong this commitment agreement actually is, with regard to delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Marlow wrote: »
    Check if SmartBytes is installed and get rid of of that. Be aware, that it gets re-installed on the next Dell update.

/M

Thought this was worth sharing..
    I rebuilt my machine last night
    all good for while this morning then bang,,, back down to sub 500Mbps

I had less applications installed so quickly found the offender...

!Microsoft Teams!

I don't know how or why this electron app can have such a drastic effect, but as soon as I start it connection deteriorates.
    I stop it and speeds are back up in the 940-950 mbps range!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

user1842 wrote: »

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

Only 5.4% passed in Q4 2018. They will have to have a bumper Q1 2019 to meet their obligations. You cannot always blame the weather.

Lets see how strong this commitment agreement actually is, with regard to delays.

If anything the weather has been even worse this quarter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

brianbruff wrote: »
    Thought this was worth sharing..
    I rebuilt my machine last night
    all good for while this morning then bang,,, back down to sub 500Mbps

I had less applications installed so quickly found the offender...

!Microsoft Teams!

I don't know how or why this electron app can have such a drastic effect, but as soon as I start it connection deteriorates.
    I stop it and speeds are back up in the 940-950 mbps range!

Interesting. I have this on a mac too so I must verify this when I get home and see if it has the same effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

user1842 wrote: »

Their Q1 performance has not been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Interesting. I have this on a mac too so I must verify this when I get home and see if it has the same effect.

Did it have any impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

brianbruff wrote: »
    Did it have any impact?

Completely forgot about it.
    Using a wireless connection but I did see an 8mb increase in download speed without teams running

On ftth no light installs.
    The order is to be put down as a no light ftth install it does not go through portal and does not go back to provider.
    The tech closes it off then the office audit it and contact the build crew to fix network. When the build crew fix it they report to the office that it's completed then the office activates the ont and bish bash bosh up and running order then goes to provider as complete.
    So either the tech made a mistake and forgot to put it down as a no light ftth and passed it doing a full line check pass which knocked the keen cyclist services off and created an fault or his copper services were to end on that day.
    I suspect it's the former.
    Be curious to know if this happens to anyone else

• Advertisement

On ftth no light installs.
    The order is to be put down as a no light ftth install it does not go through portal and does not go back to provider.
    The tech closes it off then the office audit it and contact the build crew to fix network. When the build crew fix it they report to the office that it's completed then the office activates the ont and bish bash bosh up and running order then goes to provider as complete.
    So either the tech made a mistake and forgot to put it down as a no light ftth and passed it doing a full line check pass which knocked the keen cyclist services off and created an fault or his copper services were to end on that day.
    I suspect it's the former.
    Be curious to know if this happens to anyone else

How are installers informed about changes in procedure such as this? Are there training days or is it something like a mass email and hope that everyone understands the implications of the changes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement